Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo

Trast posted:

Riker suddenly transfers to engineering.

And is promptly promoted to Rear Admiral :dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
worf's only 8 years older than wesley but he acts like a bigge mann

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

Pick posted:

worf's only 8 years older than wesley but he acts like a bigge mann

How the gently caress is that actually true

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Danaru posted:

How the gently caress is that actually true

It's because Wesley acts like a kid, and Worf acts like an adult.

Or maybe klingons/russians just age faster?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
Yup Worf is like 23 at the start of TNG season 1. That means his birthday in Parallels was probably his 30th or 31st.

He a baby. Though Klingons mature faster, yadda yadda...

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

HD DAD posted:

Yup Worf is like 23 at the start of TNG season 1. That means his birthday in Parallels was probably his 30th or 31st.

He a baby. Though Klingons mature faster, yadda yadda...

It's a little weird that he becomes chief of security on the flagship when he must be just a couple years out of the academy. There must have been a dude over 40 on the ship who was more qualified. But that's TV, I guess.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Facebook Aunt posted:

It's a little weird that he becomes chief of security on the flagship when he must be just a couple years out of the academy. There must have been a dude over 40 on the ship who was more qualified. But that's TV, I guess.

2 dicks

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Pick posted:

2 dicks

Sure, that's how he got assigned to the flagship right out of the academy in the first place.

Trast
Oct 20, 2010

Three games, thousands of playthroughs. 90% of the players don't know I exist. Still a redhead saving the galaxy with a [Right Hook].

:edi:

Facebook Aunt posted:

Sure, that's how he got assigned to the flagship right out of the academy in the first place.

Riker does handle crew assignments doesn't he?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Facebook Aunt posted:

I think the Orville actually cover this by analogy.

Alara expresses insecurity about being security chief because she doesn't really know what she's doing, and knows she got the position not just because she's physically strong but also because she's from a race that rarely serves in the Planetary Union so there's a little bit of marketing for them in having her in an important position.

Worf is the first Klingon to ever join Starfleet, so why not get him on the bridge of their flagship so that every time a Klingon ship - or any ship - contacts them there's recruitment officer Worf hanging out in the background letting them know how good the opportunities with the Federation are even for recently hostile species.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What. Is a KLEENGON DOING on a FED A RAY, SHUNVES SUL. Wait just a MOE ment! IT IS MY BROTHER. WORF! THE SUNS OF MOGH ARE TOGETHER ONCE A. GAIIIN

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Facebook Aunt posted:

Yeah, TNG's age / rank stuff was always a bit odd in the early goings. In the first season, La Forge and Worf are both lieutenant (j.g.), and then Geordi goes from being the helmsman to the chief engineer in the span of a year, jumping from j,g. to lieutenant to lieutenant commander by the third season, while Worf goes from being the tactical officer to lieutenant and the chief of security.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

AlBorlantern Corps posted:

What. Is a KLEENGON DOING on a FED A RAY, SHUNVES SUL. Wait just a MOE ment! IT IS MY BROTHER. WORF! THE SUNS OF MOGH ARE TOGETHER ONCE A. GAIIIN

I can't help but read this in Borat's voice.

Very naice!

My Worf!

Quicksilver6
Mar 21, 2008

It is Klingon tradition to chew the scenery at all times.

Subtlety is dishonorable.

(This post brought to you by Gowron’s bulging eyes)

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I dunno, Martok was always a pretty chill dude.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

Bogus Adventure posted:

Very naice!

My Worf!

God drat you.

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Infinite Karma posted:

I dunno, Martok was always a pretty chill dude.

He was a bit of a psycho in his introduction in The Way of the Warrior. (Had he been replaced by a Changeling at that point? I forget.)

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

I had some of these books when I was a kid. The Brikar cadet always made me lol.

It's like Ben Grimm was sent to the 24th Century and decided to enroll in the Academy.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Worf was definitely an overachiever in the academy. Given Data and Spock way back when I imagine Starfleet makes a point of assigning their unique officers to the Enterprise since they're expected to deal with weird poo poo all the time anyway.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Timby posted:

He was a bit of a psycho in his introduction in The Way of the Warrior. (Had he been replaced by a Changeling at that point? I forget.)

IIRC we don’t meet the real Martok until the prison camp episodes.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Big Mean Jerk posted:

IIRC we don’t meet the real Martok until the prison camp episodes.

Now that I think about it, I believe you're right, but doesn't he bleed normally in the initial meeting between himself, Sisko and Kira?

Man, DS9 got weird for a little while when they went whole-hog on the Changeling stuff.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Timby posted:

Now that I think about it, I believe you're right, but doesn't he bleed normally in the initial meeting between himself, Sisko and Kira?

Man, DS9 got weird for a little while when they went whole-hog on the Changeling stuff.

They discreetly handwave that in the Earth two-parter a bit with discussing thre are ways Changelings could dodge a blood screening.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Bogus Adventure posted:

Very naice!

My Worf!
kaa pla

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice
Ages of the characters (as distinct from the actors) when TNG starts

Picard: 59
Riker: 29
Dr. Crusher: 40
Troi: 28
Data: 26
Yar: 27
LaForge: 29
Worf: 24
Wesley: 16

For comparison, here's TOS

Kirk: 33
Spock: 35
Mccoy: 38
Uhura: ?
Scott: 43
Sulu: 28
Chekov: 23

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They discreetly handwave that in the Earth two-parter a bit with discussing thre are ways Changelings could dodge a blood screening.

I do like the implication that Changelings all have the ridiculous attention to detail that makes Odo an excellent security chief. And of course even Sisko's dad figures that a species that can seamlessly shapeshift into any humanoid form could have more than enough tricks to fool a simple screening... especially since, y'know, it was the guy who did the blood tests who turned out to be the Changeling infiltrator.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I do like the implication that Changelings all have the ridiculous attention to detail that makes Odo an excellent security chief. And of course even Sisko's dad figures that a species that can seamlessly shapeshift into any humanoid form could have more than enough tricks to fool a simple screening... especially since, y'know, it was the guy who did the blood tests who turned out to be the Changeling infiltrator.

One thing I really like with the Earth two-parter is the reveal there are Changelings on Earth, all of four, and they are just sitting on the sidelines with popcorn watching Starfleet Command devour itself out of paranoia without lifting a finger.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Epicurius posted:

For comparison, here's TOS

Kirk: 33
Spock: 35
Mccoy: 38
Uhura: ?
Scott: 43
Sulu: 28
Chekov: 23

drat, spock a rough-lookin 35

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Pick posted:

Pretty sure Nimoy was also like 35. Smoking like a chimney does things.

barbecue at the folks
Jul 20, 2007

Pick posted:

Folks aged differently when smoking a lot was a thing and using lotion wasn't.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

How is Scotty supposed to be older than Bones?

Epicurius
Apr 10, 2010
College Slice

FlamingLiberal posted:

How is Scotty supposed to be older than Bones?

The actors themselves were born about a week apart.

To continue with character ages, here's DS9

Sisko: 37
Kira: 26
Bashir: 28
Garak: ?
Jadzia: 28
Dax: 351(Dax was born/spawned in 2018!)
O'Brian: 41
Odo: ?/found 32 years ago
Quark: in his 30s
Rom: in his 30s
Nog: 16
Jake: 14

Harder to find birthdays for these people. Barak's birthday, like so much about him, is a mystery. Odo was, according to a cut scene, found in 2337, but no idea how long that little piece of goo was floating in space, and all we know about Rom is that he was born in the 30s., and we know Quark is older but not much older.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Epicurius posted:

Barak's birthday, like so much about him, is a mystery.

Please no birther conspiracy theories

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Release the dental certificate

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Epicurius posted:

The actors themselves were born about a week apart.

To continue with character ages, here's DS9

Sisko: 37
Kira: 26
Bashir: 28
Garak: ?
Jadzia: 28
Dax: 351(Dax was born/spawned in 2018!)
O'Brian: 41
Odo: ?/found 32 years ago
Quark: in his 30s
Rom: in his 30s
Nog: 16
Jake: 14

Harder to find birthdays for these people. Barak's birthday, like so much about him, is a mystery. Odo was, according to a cut scene, found in 2337, but no idea how long that little piece of goo was floating in space, and all we know about Rom is that he was born in the 30s., and we know Quark is older but not much older.

I never would have guessed Kira was the youngest among the bridge crew. For some reason I always thought she was closer to Sisko’s age (which I also assumed was lower) and that Bashir was the baby.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
bashir absolutely was the baby, regardless of age.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Oh man, the age spread of Voyager characters is going to be something to see...

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

Oh man, the age spread of Voyager characters is going to be something to see...

From M-A:

Janeway: ??/mid-late 30s
Chakotay: 42
Tuvok: 107
Torres: 22
Paris: ??/late 20s-early 30s
Kim: 22
Neelix: ??/40s
Kes: 2
EMH: 1 Day (Zimmerman would be 51)

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Big Mean Jerk posted:

From M-A:

Janeway: ??/mid-late 30s
Chakotay: 42
Tuvok: 107
Torres: 22
Paris: ??/late 20s-early 30s
Kim: 22
Neelix: ??/40s
Kes: 2
EMH: 1 Day (Zimmerman would be 51)

They should have made Tuvok a mentor to Kes. Imagine all the great character moments.

Now throw them the gently caress out and imagine the shallowest and most insipid character moments. This is Voyager, after all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Drink-Mix Man posted:

FlamingLiberal posted:

Release the dental certificate