Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Kaubocks posted:

i don't think they should let people play mch if they can't even remember what the class is called :colbert:

Mechanist, obviously. Why else do you summon a mecha robot?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxXmaJ-iJg
I appreciate that the "WE FALL" refrain kicks in the moment the pit opens up in this video.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I really want to get my hands on new MCH and play around with it. Man I'm so glad I have everything at 70 right now.

Ibblebibble posted:

Yep. It's also more DPS just to Bio Blaster and Spread spam.

Looks like you get ~150 heat and 100 battery every minute cycle, which is good for 24s of Hypercharge and one Turret summon. Best practice is probably to line up WF, Queen and Hypercharge and hammer Heat Blast. We're WAR now.

FT damage ticks are like a second apart, right? That would be 100 dps while it's active, vs. Spread Shot's 75ish. You don't get any heat or auto-attacks though. Maybe they'll make adjustments? Still seems very potent for raw AoE damage if you don't have access to Auto Crossbow.

Ibblebibble posted:

If Queen weaponskills count towards Wildfire it's a theoretical max of 1800 potency :getin:

EDIT: MY CALCS WERE WRONG IT'S 2250 LOL

Yeah I wanna know this too. Wildfire lookin' mighty fine.

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
As a SCH main, I’m really bummed about the changes and might switch to DRK or MCH. Hope everyone likes long queues waiting for healers!

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

I'm pretty much at that point honestly. I'm really tempted to just throw my account on PlayerAuctions or SA Mart; a Balmung character that's level 70 on everything and has O12S clears, respectable parses, and i400 healers (lol) and casters has to be worth something, right?

I'm just kind of done at this point. I know I'm being melodramatic and whiny but it kind of hurts to realize that a game you love and have thousands of hours and lots of friends in just isn't for you anymore.

Maybe they'll partially unfuck things in patches, but this feels like such a deliberate crippling and stripping down of the entire role that I don't see it.

best thing to do is just to keep playing if you still like/want to like the game, but actually main swap. play tank or dps for an expansion, or at least the intro. if the feedback is drastically bad enough they'll panic fix it like they did whm/sch at the start of SB.

I just don't know how they keep loving this up, though.

Dukka
Apr 28, 2007

lock teams or bust

Doom and gloom owns and I thank you all for it.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

god i dunno what to play now. so many classes look great, dancer looks amazing. PLD looks absolutely fantastic. and GBR looks awesome too.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

looking forward to using my 50 potency single target DoT at level 80

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Oh yeah, I will miss roused fairy a lot tho. Rouse was great in situations where you wanted extra healing output on non-single target.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
5.1 patch notes: The healer role has been eliminated. Scholar is now a tank and whm and ast are now DPS. Healing will be done by an NPC companion using the trust system. Please look forward to it.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

DizzyBum posted:

I really want to get my hands on new MCH and play around with it. Man I'm so glad I have everything at 70 right now.

FT damage ticks are like a second apart, right? That would be 100 dps while it's active, vs. Spread Shot's 75ish. You don't get any heat or auto-attacks though. Maybe they'll make adjustments? Still seems very potent for raw AoE damage if you don't have access to Auto Crossbow.

Yeah I wanna know this too. Wildfire lookin' mighty fine.

Yeah I forgot to account for FT tick rate so actually it's good for aoe.

Queen attacks outside of Piledriver count towards WF, so when you include 7 Arm Punches from Queen that's 5050 potency for a Wildfire cycle not inclusive of oGCDs.

Extra bonus lol: Flamethrower is now a weapon skill so if every tick counts as a separate WS instance for Wildfire it will be the best thing to use during WF. Highly unlikely to be true, but would be very funny if it was.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Hogama posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKxXmaJ-iJg
I appreciate that the "WE FALL" refrain kicks in the moment the pit opens up in this video.

I appreciate Alphinaud walking very, very slowly across the gap while Alisaie books it and Thancred just GUN-Plunges across.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
SCH took a hit in terms of offensive capabilities, which I can understand might be annoying, but WHM and AST are largely unchanged in that area and I don’t understand why everyone is so butthurt?

Like WHM lost their AoE dot, but is basically the same rotation otherwise? You get a new ability in there too. AST is effectively the same too, cards are the biggest change and while a little odd, feels like a better direction than the current cards where most of them suck.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

the mana and attack speed cards were very good. the damage card was obviously the ace but now you dont need to worry about that, you can increase someones damage by 3% in between casting broil x for the 500th time

strong bird
May 12, 2009

part of why this is so bad and poorly thought out is that there hasnt been a new healer in 2 years or whatever because they wanted to rebalance the existing ones. they did that by making them all exactly the same with 1 defining gimmick (except whm and sch are the same (aetherflow == lilies))

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leal posted:

They also kept scathe.

Yeah but that does *something*. Blizzard 2 doesn't need to exist when Freeze does.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

I appreciate for Wildfire now my only job is to spam one specific weapon skill, instead of having to perform a very specific button sequence with very important OGCD weaving. Taking Ricochet and Gauss Shot off of Wildfire and giving them three charges is going to relax the rotation significantly for me.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Oxyclean posted:

Dancer is aiming:

This feels silly because there's no reason to have two sets of three DPS jobs sharing a geartype and two DPS jobs that each have their own gear drops.

Token economy when

strong bird
May 12, 2009

and to top it all off the crit shield from adlo is a different buff which isnt spread by deployment tactics, just to ensure that that spell wont be used to unfairly give sch an advantage

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

me: stumbles into the thread knocking over furniture and falling like kramer running into jerry's apartment

ARE THE RUMORS TRUE

CAN I FINALLY CAST 20% MORE COMBUST?

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Ibblebibble posted:

Extra bonus lol: Flamethrower is now a weapon skill so if every tick counts as a separate WS instance for Wildfire it will be the best thing to use during WF. Highly unlikely to be true, but would be very funny if it was.

I noticed that and was thinking the same thing. It would be very appropriate for Flamethrower to be the best thing to use to strengthen the "slow-burning pitch".

I am very excited for MCH.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!

Minrad posted:

best thing to do is just to keep playing if you still like/want to like the game, but actually main swap. play tank or dps for an expansion, or at least the intro. if the feedback is drastically bad enough they'll panic fix it like they did whm/sch at the start of SB.

I just don't know how they keep loving this up, though.

That's my worry, all of the changes they made to healers seem extremely deliberate and I can't see anything other than some number fiddling going forward. 4.0 SCH mostly needed numbers tweaks and a spammable AoE, and even 3.0 AST was mostly numbers and some crappy cards from what I understand. All of the healer adjustments going into 5.0 seem to be entirely dedicated to reducing choice and the potential to screw up, at the cost of basically rounding off the quirks and unique features of the individual jobs. Some people are fine if they're still reasonably effective in their role, and that's fine! But I really enjoy learning all the tricks you can pull with Scholar's million buttons, or mitigating RNG and getting extra miles out if buffs with AST's card and time buttons, and stuff like that is just about dead.

Keep in mind they have trusts now, so unless Urianger Bot is useless, dungeon queues aren't going to be a factor. If it screws up Savage, and I wouldn't be surprised if this turns into Gordias 2 with the inevitable healer brain drain, that's only 3-4% of the community's most unpleasable members getting mad. If they're bound and determined to turn healers into plain oatmeal with three different colors of food dye, they can actually force it through now.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
New MCH actually looks very fun? Guess I need to start gobbling up the Aiming armor off Orbonne for style.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

im not sure what im going to play yet but it its probably not going to be ast, the class with no spells

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
I'm livid that Red Mage got all this button consolidation while Enochian, Fire IV, and Blizzard IV are all unaccountably still on separate buttons.

What's up with RDM having two separate spells called "Veraero" and two separate spells called "Verthunder"? Is that a pending name change or something?

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Ferrinus posted:

What's up with RDM having two separate spells called "Veraero" and two separate spells called "Verthunder"? Is that a pending name change or something?

I'd assume/hope so.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Ferrinus posted:

I'm livid that Red Mage got all this button consolidation while Enochian, Fire IV, and Blizzard IV are all unaccountably still on separate buttons.

To be fair, basic BLM rotation is literally 6 buttons, at level 70 RDM had more than that in just procs I think. They really should remove enochian and consolidate the skills already tho.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

Previously you would cast combust II four times and think "i just can't keep this up, I've only got mana for fourty eight more casts of combust!"

But by god your world will turn upside down when you realize you can fit in another whole twelve combust III casts in Shadowbringers, this summer. Please look forward to it.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Ferrinus posted:

I want to say there is something that changes veraero/thunder into their AOE counterparts, but I'm not seeing anything in the tooltips about it. I DO see that veraero/thunder are changed into verflare/holy when you do your melee combo, so thats cool.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Ouhei posted:

SCH took a hit in terms of offensive capabilities, which I can understand might be annoying, but WHM and AST are largely unchanged in that area and I don’t understand why everyone is so butthurt?

Like WHM lost their AoE dot, but is basically the same rotation otherwise? You get a new ability in there too. AST is effectively the same too, cards are the biggest change and while a little odd, feels like a better direction than the current cards where most of them suck.

The healer changes just pale in comparison to what everyone else is getting and it's not exciting. It's more like being handed a peanut butter sandwich, when everyone around you got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with banana slices and they cut the nasty crust off.

In play we won't know how stuff feels until we're actually doing it I guess. Only so much you can get from a video and how stuff plays in groups is what I'm more interested in. But I do not fault healer mains for being a little bit saucy today.

strong bird
May 12, 2009

yoshida p must hang for these actual, genuine Gamer Crimes

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Truga posted:

To be fair, basic BLM rotation is literally 6 buttons, at level 70 RDM had more than that in just procs I think. They really should remove enochian and consolidate the skills already tho.

Yeah but you now need to fit Xenoglossy, Despair, and Umbral Soul into easy-to-reach places and only have the space freed up by, what, Manashift and maybe Erase? I guess Break and Drain are also gone but it's not like anyone'd put those on comfortable hotkeys to start with.

I do really like the fact that maxed out astral/umbral just plain makes spells of the opposite aspect free (so you can always finish an astral cycle with Flare or a Flare equivalent), and the fact that Freeze now gives you a Heart such that it's a natural inclusion into the AoE rotation. But there's still basic QoL changes crying out to be made!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Dragoon is practically unchanged but does flashy stuff slightly more often I'm sold that's all I really wanted

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

As a WHM main who just finished HW, I am glad my class didn't get revamped too much. It looks pretty neat!

(Though, I don't really feel the urge to level AST anymore, which is kind of a bummer)

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Leal posted:

I want to say there is something that changes veraero/thunder into their AOE counterparts, but I'm not seeing anything in the tooltips about it.

I don't think this is the case because in YoshiP's preview they were separate buttons.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
I presume there's some way(probably via macro) to turn Freeze into "Cast this at my target's location why is there even a targeting circle who designed this shitshow of a spell"?

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

strong bird posted:

yoshida p must hang for these actual, genuine Gamer Crimes

strong bird
May 12, 2009

its extremely obvious that nobody on the core design team plays a healer at a high level, theres no way to get to the conclusions they did otherwise

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
From observing the dungeon run, I didn’t appear that there was significantly more damage going out than usual. Occasional raid damage to punish screwing up mechanics with a little time for good healers to fix mistakes, tanks taking appreciable damage if they don’t cooldown, but nothing so fast that you have to be prehealing lest they die in the intervening 6 seconds.

I think SCH is still gonna be the king of off global healing, even more so now with their super fairy. It’s just that in between all that you’re gonna have one button to press for aoe forever instead of the more invoked dots to bane thing.

Make of that what you will. I imagine high end SCH will still be working on pressing adlo or succor as little as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Emalde posted:

This feels silly because there's no reason to have two sets of three DPS jobs sharing a geartype and two DPS jobs that each have their own gear drops.

Token economy when

I was honestly expecting one of the system changes this expansion to be some sort of gear revamp to consolidate melee into 1 or 2 geartypes, but I guess they don't want to mess with visuals too much?

Kurieg posted:

I presume there's some way(probably via macro) to turn Freeze into "Cast this at my target's location why is there even a targeting circle who designed this shitshow of a spell"?

I heard that's the way it works now (at a target by default, no circle) but there ways to macro aoe circles to cast at target as well.