Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

You’d think the Shi’ar would work out the bugs.

You guys see Thor as a Brood in the FCBD issue of Avengers?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Here's another Hickman interview. Nothing too exciting other than that the current books have the mandate of "just go nuts, swing away, and knock it out of the park." He also pretty heavily implies Bendis left Marvel because they didn't want to waste him on X-Men anymore:

https://www.cbr.com/jonathan-hickman-house-of-x-powers-of-x-interview/

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
https://twitter.com/JHickman/status/1131373624273887232?s=19

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

quote:

As someone who was very pleased to see you bring Cannonball and Sunspot into the Avengers fold during your popular run, can we look forward to you bringing them home now that you'll be working on the X-Men?

I won't be bringing them home.

:negative:

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Well yeah, Matthew Rosenberg still has to kill them off soon.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Sunspot and Cannonball never returned home.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I choose to believe that this is because he's letting Al Ewing use them for one of the first wave of X-books coming after the miniseries end

Adnor
Jan 11, 2013

Justice for Daisy

Roth posted:

Well yeah, Matthew Rosenberg still has to kill them off soon.

Didn't Scott said they were dead or something like that during his run? Haven't been following Rosenberg run because goddamn I hate Larroca's art and I've never seen anyone say anything positive about the run yet.

Sunspot and Cannonball are some of my favorites. Roberto is legit my favorite New Mutant, we have so few south american heroes :negative:

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Adnor posted:

Didn't Scott said they were dead or something like that during his run? Haven't been following Rosenberg run because goddamn I hate Larroca's art and I've never seen anyone say anything positive about the run yet.

Sunspot and Cannonball are some of my favorites. Roberto is legit my favorite New Mutant, we have so few south american heroes :negative:

Sunspot just showed up in the War of the Realms X-Men mini that Rosenberg is writing, so I'm assuming he knows better

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

I feel like Sunspot and Cannonball have done the impossible and graduated from the X-Men. That's something to celebrate, given their classmates from the original New Mutants are still stuck being supporting cast and getting killed off for Logan's man-pain.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Okay so I thought Wolfsbane was dead?

And Mirage and Karma were all virused up?

But none of this was the case in the WOTR crossover?

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Synthbuttrange posted:

Okay so I thought Wolfsbane was dead?

And Mirage and Karma were all virused up?

But none of this was the case in the WOTR crossover?

I'm not reading WOTR, but Dark Beast transferred the T-O virus from Mirage and Karma to a Madrox clone early on, and Wolfsbane only died an issue or two ago. So presumably it takes place in between those issues?

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
It's actually not even between issues, it's between the beginning and middle of #16. The story alternates between them resolving the end of #15 with Cap and the Hideaway, and the newly democratic team going to stop Juggernaut and the Brotherhood led by Magneto's clone at an unspecified time later. The New Mutants were cured at the very end of the previous issue, Hope is still in the doghouse for turning Cyclops into a cyclops (and assassinating a politician) but is a fully-fledged X-Man by the end, and Rahne tells Scott she's leaving after he steps down but is pronounced dead by Dani at the very end of the book. So all of the War of the Realms stuff takes place somewhere in the middle of that.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

rip.

also sabretooth is bad again now.

radlum
May 13, 2013
Also, through the dialogue in Rahne's funeral, it is implied that Sunspot died before her, so I'm just getting read for Rosenberg to kill him off in the last tie-in issue with WotR

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

I don't blame anyone for not knowing this because I'm the only one reading the comic on this forum most likely but Cannonball is with X-Force at the moment.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alaois posted:

I don't blame anyone for not knowing this because I'm the only one reading the comic on this forum most likely but Cannonball is with X-Force at the moment.

X-Force is surprisingly good. Also, really really well-drawn.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Synthbuttrange posted:

rip.

also sabretooth is bad again now.

That happened at the end of Weapon X.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Current X-Force is indeed good, surprisingly so. I must have missed something though 'cause Sam keeps mentioning he's married and has a child. When, what?

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Hickman Avengers. He’s married to Smasher of the Imperial Guard. She’s from Earth.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

X-Force is surprisingly good. Also, really really well-drawn.

yeah Dylan Burnett is putting in some good work, even if it took me a few issues to get used to how he draws some of the characters

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Which X series did Northstar get married in, and was it any good (not just the wedding issue, the series as a whole)?

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

It was some Astonishing Xmen comic after Whedon. I only remember because I bought that issue despite not picking up that series. I think the gimmick with that title was each issue was self contained, so maybe it varies from issue to issue.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

IUG posted:

It was some Astonishing Xmen comic after Whedon. I only remember because I bought that issue despite not picking up that series. I think the gimmick with that title was each issue was self contained, so maybe it varies from issue to issue.

I thought Warren Ellis did a not good run on Astonishing after Whedon left then they killed the book.

An X-Men book where each issue is self contained sounds interesting.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
That reminds me of X-Men Unlimited, the anthology book. I’d love to have something like that back.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Alaois posted:

yeah Dylan Burnett is putting in some good work, even if it took me a few issues to get used to how he draws some of the characters

Same - at first the faces put me off, but as the story's gone on it's really grown on me, and his storytelling skills are excellent

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Same - at first the faces put me off, but as the story's gone on it's really grown on me, and his storytelling skills are excellent

I'm especially a fan of his rendering of Kid Cable's TO Virus slowly overtaking his body because of his telekinesis being suppressed

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Astonishing X-Men went:

#1-24: Whedon/Cassaday but it took like four years to get 24 issues out
#25-32: Warren Ellis also with delays
#36-37: Daniel Way/Jason Pearson
#38 - Christos N Gage/Juan Bobillo fill-in
#39: Way/Pearson
#40: Gage/Bobillo fill-in part 2
#41: Way/Pearson
#42: Gage/Bobillo fill-in part 3
#43: James Asmus one-shot
#44-47: Greg Pak/Mike McKone
#48-56: Marjorie Liu/Mike Perkins (where Northstar gets married in 51)
#57-68: Marjoie Liu and like ten different artists

It wasn't really an anthology book like X-Men Unlimited, though for a minute there between the Ellis and Liu runs it kind of looked like the old Legends of the Dark Knight book (or a few other variations that have happened through the decades) where a creative team would come in to to a 3-6 issue story and out, but even that didn't really work out/last long. Also with all books done like that at Marvel or DC, they launch with some big creator names and slowly devolve into some inventory story that Scott Lobdell and Jim Califiore banged out one week six years ago.

moleman
Apr 26, 2003

Now the time has come to gather our forces and run.

BrianWilly posted:

Hey who wants to see Chamber murder a bunch of people and then just die!

anyone? !

While both of his Generation X teachers are in the issue and appear not to notice or care. No confused grunt from Zombie Banshee? I seem to remember Emma Frost has a thing about her students dying horribly... nope? Okay then!

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

moleman posted:

Zombie Banshee?

Why is he a zombie anyway? Last I remember him popping up was in Uncanny Avengers, where he was back from the dead but evil, but not in a zombie way.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
The zombieness is because it was a Death Seed that brought him back, and since "what if we make Banshee more like his namesake" is the level of cleverness comics editors seem to love they've left him that way even though the other UA Horsemen, Daken, Sentry, and the fuckin Grim Reaper were all fine. He was booked in the dialogue as having to be that way for years until they develop the technology to remove the Celestial goop or w/e in him (this was in 2014), so maybe Dark Beast will fix him too?

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

well the grim reaper is less fine these days. :v:

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016

Synthbuttrange posted:

well the grim reaper is less fine these days. :v:

well he's not dead anymore, again, as of Damnation which is better shape than Tom King left him in (I assume his death in The Vision is what you're referring to)

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

oh no he's back

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Second Marvel X-doco on Jim Lee X-Men #1.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BglgLp7ggbo

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

What exactly is the deal with Hickman's X-Men? Do we know any details other than how huge and franchise changing it's going to be? I haven't kept up with X-Men in ages so I have no idea if it's supposed to conclude any current storylines or if he's just doing his own thing. Is there anything worthwhile going on in X-Men right now?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

It’s a reset, and a new status quo running out of it.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Hakkesshu posted:

What exactly is the deal with Hickman's X-Men? Do we know any details other than how huge and franchise changing it's going to be? I haven't kept up with X-Men in ages so I have no idea if it's supposed to conclude any current storylines or if he's just doing his own thing. Is there anything worthwhile going on in X-Men right now?

The Age of X-Man crossover books are pretty fun, although I feel like some of the titles have failed to stick the landing and are spinning their wheels in the home stretch. Leah Williams' X-Tremists has escaped this fate, and is notably good. Uncanny is mostly terrible grimdark nonsense, stiltedly related by a fool.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Android Blues posted:

Uncanny is mostly terrible grimdark nonsense, stiltedly related by a fool.

Putting Havok on blast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Android Blues posted:

The Age of X-Man crossover books are pretty fun, although I feel like some of the titles have failed to stick the landing and are spinning their wheels in the home stretch. Leah Williams' X-Tremists has escaped this fate, and is notably good. Uncanny is mostly terrible grimdark nonsense, stiltedly related by a fool.

I thought X-Tremists was actually really beautiful this week. I like Leah Williams a lot when she's doing more intimate character studies like this and What If?: Magik, less so the jokey stuff like Giant Men although I liked that too. Today's issue really got to me though, especially back to back with a particularly cruel issue of A Walk Through Hell. She gets the horror of Age of X-Man's high-concept in a way nobody else seems to, and is really leveraging it as a way of giving attention and thought to characters that have been one-note or neglected for too long.