Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Givin posted:

The healer changes just pale in comparison to what everyone else is getting and it's not exciting. It's more like being handed a peanut butter sandwich, when everyone around you got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with banana slices and they cut the nasty crust off.

In play we won't know how stuff feels until we're actually doing it I guess. Only so much you can get from a video and how stuff plays in groups is what I'm more interested in. But I do not fault healer mains for being a little bit saucy today.

I guess, I don’t main a healer but played WHM and AST fairly often this expansion and wouldn’t want a more complex offensive rotation so the changes (for WHM and AST at least) feel fine/good to me. I get being miffed but the doom and gloom is overboard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

MCH has 24s of Rapid Fire every minute. We're out IR-ing the WARs now.

Willias
Sep 3, 2008

Givin posted:

The healer changes just pale in comparison to what everyone else is getting and it's not exciting. It's more like being handed a peanut butter sandwich, when everyone around you got a peanut butter and jelly sandwich with banana slices and they cut the nasty crust off.

good
i hate bananas on my peanut butter sandwich

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

The WHM changes mostly look good to me. The AST ones look like they make sense, but that the new cards could use something to give them a little bit more zing.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Givin posted:

Rofl. The crust on sandwiches owns.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Looking at red mage, maybe I'm an idiot and am missing something obvious but I don't understand the point of Reprise? It's single target and uses your mana but doesn't interact with the combo at all

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.

Ouhei posted:

I guess, I don’t main a healer but played WHM and AST fairly often this expansion and wouldn’t want a more complex offensive rotation so the changes (for WHM and AST at least) feel fine/good to me. I get being miffed but the doom and gloom is overboard.

Good news, the new ast opener has 10-16 ogcd casts in your five opening gcds for optimal play now! Have fun!

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Red Red Blue posted:

Looking at red mage, maybe I'm an idiot and am missing something obvious but I don't understand the point of Reprise? It's single target and uses your mana but doesn't interact with the combo at all

Instant cast. Lets you do something during high movement, and also offers an option to burn some mana without closing to melee.

e: It gets 25y in enhanced version. The base version is useless.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 18:07 on May 29, 2019

strong bird
May 12, 2009

makes sense that theyre adding the system to have bot healers since it will be necessary

strong bird
May 12, 2009

The bots we added just didn't understand the concept of 'fun'. So we removed all the spells they deemed to be superfluous.

Ouhei
Oct 23, 2008

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

Minrad posted:

Good news, the new ast opener has 10-16 ogcd casts in your five opening gcds for optimal play now! Have fun!

I’m going to main a tank (either WAR, PLD, or DRK) so I’m not really worried about it too much. If I don’t enjoy AST I’ll probably stick with WHM.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Red Red Blue posted:

It's for turning wasted mana into useful mana. Say you're about to cap your mana, but you want to hold your combo for an important add that's about to spawn: Reprise. Say your Manafication just came off CD, but you're at 50/60 mana: Reprise.

Also if absolutely necessary, it's something to do during extended movement once you burn your Dualcast.

Minera
Sep 26, 2007

All your friends and foes,
they thought they knew ya,
but look who's in your heart now.
I was worried I'd have to get around the embrace casting restrictions on fairy by trying to position the fairy and ranging people i don't want to heal, but thankfully the embrace nerf ensured that nothing matters

strong bird
May 12, 2009

I don't plan on playing the classes they made 100% verifiably more boring so it doesn't effect me. Also anyone who does play those classes should suck it up.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i play warrior and also leveled machinist so i'm probably gonna have a good time

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Did anyone notice the potency drop on Holy (140) and Gravity (130)?

That's the most disappointing thing I see here, and seems unnecessary with all the extra AoE abilities dps get.

Oh well. WHM and AST still both look overall better.

Red Red Blue
Feb 11, 2007

Cabbit posted:

It's for turning wasted mana into useful mana. Say you're about to cap your mana, but you want to hold your combo for an important add that's about to spawn: Reprise. Say your Manafication just came off CD, but you're at 50/60 mana: Reprise.

Also if absolutely necessary, it's something to do during extended movement once you burn your Dualcast.

Oxyclean posted:

Instant cast. Lets you do something during high movement, and also offers an option to burn some mana without closing to melee.

e: It gets 25y in enhanced version. The base version is useless.

Makes sense, thanks

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Ouhei posted:

I mean, SCH got across the board nerfs in exchange for... weaker fairy versions of spells we already have. And I guess Sacred Soil regen, except all that does is make up for Fey Union getting nerfed. It's pretty hard to get excited for that.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

By the way: anyone who uses Engagement over Displacement is a buster and a punk. Displace, you cowards.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Cabbit posted:

By the way: anyone who uses Engagement over Displacement is a buster and a punk. Displace, you cowards.

:hai:

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.
The good news is after being on the back foot for the entire game, WHM now has a substantial lead on SCH for DPS contribution :v:

code:
WHM pdps
glare: 300
dia: 120+600
assize: 400 (45s)
misery: 900 (90s)
code:
SCH pdps
broil: 280
bio: 600

rdps: stratagem +10% critrate 15s (120s) [downtime: 105s]
code:
AST pdps
malefic: 250
combust: 500
estar: 150 (60s) [downtime: 50s]

rdps: way more than stratagem lol
They're gonna have to Miasma2 SCH again for 5.0, please look forward to it.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Am I allowed to cry about how boring new ast looks now?

Blast of Confetti
Apr 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Saigyouji posted:

I mean, SCH got across the board nerfs in exchange for... weaker fairy versions of spells we already have. And I guess Sacred Soil regen, except all that does is make up for Fey Union getting nerfed. It's pretty hard to get excited for that.

That and I just liked all the DPS buttons I have as SCH. Each fight figuring out if it was worth it to Miasma/Bio/Bane and if I could get away with it before healing the tank was neat. Sneaking that combo in and saving the tank at 25% HP is a lot of fun for me and it was pretty hard for me to get in to the other healers because they felt a little more bland without as much going on

Saying suck it up is pretty lame because I thought the whole point of three healers was to find which one suits your playstyle. Seems like now it's mostly a choice of do you want shields or regen. PLDs getting a lot of stuff I'm interested in so I'm probably going to shelf healing

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

Oxyclean posted:

I was honestly expecting one of the system changes this expansion to be some sort of gear revamp to consolidate melee into 1 or 2 geartypes, but I guess they don't want to mess with visuals too much?

Yoshi P: Can't do female Hrothgar or Male Viera because our workload can't handle it.

Me: Stop making Maiming and Scouting gear.

Yoshi P: Nah.

I am also less mad at the drg af now that I see that dudes also get the stupid-rear end armor gaps too.

Watched about half of that Viera emote video and they are so boring. Glad to know I am not blowing money on a fantasia any time soon.

Giving a harder look at samurai and just holy poo poo. No more damage drop off on anything. Less potency on Mangetsu and Oka to compensate, but now Mangetsu and Oka increase the duration of the jinpu and shifu buffs by 15 seconds respectively. Also, I expected there to be mp costs added to SOMETHING, but nope. No costs anywhere. No drop off, always buffed AoE forever. Not even any drop off on Gurren!

Also, Meikyo Shisui is on a 60s cooldown now instead of 80.

Edit: Samurai downside: Ikishoten has a 20 second longer cooldown than Hagakure. Merciful eyes doesn't have the reduces enmity clause anymore which is very distressing.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:27 on May 29, 2019

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

strong bird posted:

I don't plan on playing the classes they made 100% verifiably more boring so it doesn't effect me. Also anyone who does play those classes should suck it up.

:same: which is why i'll keep playing the new and improved sch as my main. I really don't see what the doooooooom is about, miasma 1 was a spell on an annoying timer and should've been changed or even rolled into bio ages ago, shadow flare hasn't felt good to use since 4.0, and the dps rotation has always been a billion broils with some dots scattered in.

The only things I'm actually going to miss are bane and rouse. And aoe damage probably isn't even going down much, seeing how Miasma II-2 got a 25 potency increase baked in and has no falloff with multiple targets, and bane had that hilariously high falloff on multiple targets.

Also for shields, I'll take a 550 potency spread shield I can get reliably get every 90 seconds over a 900 potency shield I can maybe get but probably not. Most of my spread adlos were 300 potency already, now they're gonna be guaranteed 375, with an ability to be 550 if I get lucky or have recitation off cooldown.

Lastly, the greatly improved healer queues are gonna own, too

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Emalde posted:

The good news is after being on the back foot for the entire game, WHM now has a substantial lead on SCH for DPS contribution :v:

Afflatus Misery is less good than it appears, since it requires you to give up 3 GCDs before you can activate it. It's meant to neutralize the potency "cost" of using Lily skills instead of being free damage.

Emalde
May 3, 2007

Just a cage of bones, there's nothing inside.

Vermain posted:

Afflatus Misery is less good than it appears, since it requires you to give up 3 GCDs before you can activate it. It's meant to neutralize the potency "cost" of using Lily skills instead of being free damage.

That's fair, though even without charting out a 90 second rotation for WHM and SCH to compare them it still seems like a rough comparison.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
There are two abilities that don't show up in AST's Gamerescape's tooltip image.

The top, based on other leaks, is Celestial Intersection. It's basically an Aspected Benefic but with the alternate stance applied. 30s cooldown, rad as hell.
The second seems to be Horoscope. Buffs party with Horoscope for 10s. Enhances the effect if they're hit by any Helios for 10 more seconds. Then reading the cards a second time will restore HP for those affected. I think that's just recasting Horoscope rather than carding, but I can't tell.

Telum
Apr 17, 2013

I am protector of the innocent! I am the light in the darkness! I am truth! Ally to good! Nightmare to you!

cheetah7071 posted:

Dragoon is practically unchanged but does flashy stuff slightly more often I'm sold that's all I really wanted

:same:

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Failboattootoot posted:

Edit: Samurai downside: Ikishoten has a 20 second longer cooldown than Hagakure. Merciful eyes doesn't have the reduces enmity clause anymore which is very distressing.

I can accept the reduced rate of bonus kenki in exchange for everything else. I didn't even notice that Gurren had no damage fall-off, that's amazing.

I gotta admit though that no -enmity on Merciful Eyes is concerning. I have lost track of how many times I've had to use it to hand a boss over to somebody else after I caught it's attention, and now they're giving me way more options to dump damage into the target at high speed (and no I'm not going to just not use them, slowing down is for chumps). Hopefully the changes to tank enmity generation are real as hell because otherwise I'm going to be eating a lot of tank busters.

UHD
Nov 11, 2006

never fear friends I will still play scholar because my enjoyment of the job didn’t depend on having two dots instead of one or whatever the hell has peoples panties in a twist

I look forward to my nonexistent queue times

... after I reach 80 dancer because jfc that looks fun

panda clue
May 23, 2014
I'm just here to enjoy the whining

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Am I allowed to cry about how boring new ast looks now?

You are so long as I’m allowed to say you’re being a big dumb baby and I’m excited for how cool the new AST is now.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean the real difference is between gcd heals leading to a nuke, managing a pretty wide toolset of off globals to reduce need for inefficient gcd heals, or passing out damage buffs in between fairly efficient gcd heals.

It’s interesting that use of aetherflow leads to more healing effects. Also critlo deploy need, but I wonder if that makes the other abilities affected more useful... People say embrace and tether have been nerfed, but are they just comparing potencies? The potencies that are being reworked with a new expansion?

The thing to ask is if the healer mains who went to the media tour felt that their abilities were anemic in that one dungeon.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
Ast and whm seem fine to me, it's only really sch that got boned.

Edit: I will go so far as to say that I think Ast seems neat still and I may switch to it as my main healer over sch. Which isn't much since I am a dps main through and through. But while the card management game seems easier, it doesn't seem dire. You're still pulling cards and distributing them and then minor arcanaing the ones that you already popped symbols for. Still seems fiddly enough to me to be enjoyable.

Thundarr posted:

I gotta admit though that no -enmity on Merciful Eyes is concerning. I have lost track of how many times I've had to use it to hand a boss over to somebody else after I caught it's attention, and now they're giving me way more options to dump damage into the target at high speed (and no I'm not going to just not use them, slowing down is for chumps). Hopefully the changes to tank enmity generation are real as hell because otherwise I'm going to be eating a lot of tank busters.
Yeah, I really valued the ability to manipulate threat generation like that, since I mainly do casual stuff and 99% of the time a tank drops in an alliance raid the other 2 will be afk and I try to stay 3rd on the threat list so some healer eats it and not me.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 18:49 on May 29, 2019

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

Failboattootoot posted:

Ast and whm seem fine to me, it's only really sch that got boned.

This is where I mostly am, I feel the new AST cards are more dull feeling, but probably aren't worse in actual gameplay? I do wish there was a bit more to them, but both them and WHM don't feel bad and WHM actually looks like it might be overall improved.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

People seem to be massively overreacting but I admit that the act of pressing a DOT button was far from my favorite part of playing a healer. I'll enjoy the easy queues if all other healers stop playing forever though.

Meeko
Sep 15, 2017

That's right! I'm the counting sheep, Meeko. And I'm a proper sheep youkai!

This situation probably wouldn't be as heated as it is if this wasn't piggy backing off of two expansions of no new jobs for healers, with the given reasoning being that they had to re-balance them first.

Now all we can really do beyond bitch is wait for encounter design and hope the healers wind up feeling still different and interesting in practice.

also I hope they just amped up tank threat generation to WoW levels of threat because now that stance dancing is gone there's really no reason for aggro to be a pressing concern beyond "make sure the tank smacks it first."

e: also like, a lot of the bitching is gonna come from scholars and maybe ast since the book worms got hit the hardest by these changes. whm was relatively unchanged in that regard, and ast was barely modified.

Meeko fucked around with this message at 18:53 on May 29, 2019

Willias
Sep 3, 2008
i’m glad scholars got nerfed, if only yoship had the balls to do it when it should have been done: 2 expansions ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klades
Sep 8, 2011

"Surely they learned their lesson with chakra in HW and they didn't just give SAM a move they can only use after extended downtime"

Whelp gently caress me I guess

At least the rest of the kit looks good.