Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ben Nerevarine
Apr 14, 2006
I haven't seen it yet obviously but this is beyond the pale

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wendell
May 11, 2003

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I realize I break out this tinfoil hat a lot, but... anyone else figuring that Disney threw their weight around on this?

Oh my gosh.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Disney has comical amounts of motive and a history of doing nasty underhanded poo poo. I realize you have some kind of weird mental block against the idea because you really like Marvel, but this is the company that sued a daycare for spraypainting a mural of Mickey Mouse, not a benevolent actor.

e: To explain motive: Disney literally just released Aladdin. There is a grand total of two movies coming out in the immediate term with audience overlap with Aladdin, and they're Godzilla and Dark Phoenix.

Dark Phoenix, obviously, isn't a problem for Disney- if that eats some of Aladdin's potential BO, they get the money either way. The movie also looks like absolute poo poo and nobody thinks otherwise, so I don't think they're overly worried.

Godzilla, meanwhile, is from one of their biggest remaining competitors (arguably second only to NBCUniversal), has insane amounts of hype, is guaranteed to knock Aladdin out of IMAX no matter how it does (best case scenario for Disney is that KotM bombs so hard Aladdin gets put back in IMAX after week one), and just in general has a pretty strong chance of making hella cash money.

Making it even more likely they're putting their thumb on the scale: they need Aladdin to do well. And not just "do well" by regular movie standards, they need it to make Beauty and the Beast amounts of money so they can continue to justify this stupid loving live-action remake trend and not have to eat their foot on Mulan.

Like, I don't think there's vans of armed goons with mouse ears going to film critics' houses or anything, but I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of them got passive-aggressive letters saying their continued access to Marvel and Star Wars press events hinges on this. That's on brand as gently caress for Disney and something they've, iirc, actually been caught doing.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 23:05 on May 28, 2019

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Film critics are by and large worthless, so I wouldn't worry about the scores.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Disney has comical amounts of motive and a history of doing nasty underhanded poo poo. I realize you have some kind of weird mental block against the idea because you really like Marvel, but this is the company that sued a daycare for spraypainting a mural of Mickey Mouse, not a benevolent actor.

No I have a mental block because it seems stupid.

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Except all the Disney review conspiracy theories are mind-shatteringly stupid and break-down with the slightest bit of scrutiny. Like all conspiracy theories. There have been plenty of big blockbusters films not made by Disney within the last year that have had great reviews (Shazam), and some made by Disney that have been kicked about by critics (Aladdin). It's all bullshit. All of it. There's no real good metric for judging critic reactions anyway, with Rotten Tomatoes being a failed attempt to do so.

Super excited to see this tomorrow, I've seen all these films multiple times. It's still surreal to me, when I was kid no one cared about Rodan or Ghidorah or what have you despite how much I talked about them (in the UK Godzilla was known but a lot less popular than he was in the states), so seeing bus shelters and giant posters with these monsters on is bizarre. But banging.

EDIT: Also, if Disney were sending passive-aggressive letters to critics they would have done it to get Aladdin good reviews (which they didn't, of if they did it didn't work because they got plenty of bad ones). It's a whole other kettle of fish to send letters saying "give Godzilla a bad write up", can you imagine if one of those letters got out? Do you know how many film journalists would love to break that story? That's a golden egg falling in their lap. All it would take is one critic to blow that whistle. But it hasn't happened. As a large company, Disney do plenty of underhanded poo poo (as do WB by the way, it's not a struggling independent studio, they own Batman and Bugs Bunny for heaven's sake), but this one strains any sense of reality. There's no conspiracy. Sorry.

Karloff fucked around with this message at 23:31 on May 28, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Interestingly enough, when I was in the theater, I thought a lot of people were going to take issue with Emma Russell's desire to obliterate modern civilization. The idea that our society is just straight up bad for the world is a little too much for some to take. I'm guessing many of the critics think that the things humans make are an inherit part of the world, not something people placed or created at the expense of nature and ultimately life on the planet. Funny thing is that the film repudiates her position many times. That being said, her desire isn't out of line with opinions I've seen in climate discussions here, on other boards, and even in person. These critics are probably aren't even close to acknowledging the possibility that humanity, as it is now, is bad for the planet and even ourselves.

Man, some of these reviews have got me straight cackling. "Say what you will about Roland Emmerich's, but at least he showed Godzilla a lot," and "What you’re left with is a catastrophically dumb, thunderously boring blockbuster as numbing and unsatisfying as the worst Transformers movies," are such stupendously moronic takes that these critics must be taking the piss or are fundamentally broken in some way. The latter must be suffering from ocular degeneration or something is hosed in the tangle of neurons between their eyes and their brain. None of the action in the Transformers films is in the same universe as the clashes in King of the Monsters.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 23:39 on May 28, 2019

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Internet critics just hate earnestness. Its a holdover from the millennial "try hard is bad" mentality where everything has to be self aware of how silly the premise is, instead of owning it.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Guys.. is Disney trying to personally murder the Godzilla franchise? I'm just asking questions here.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Beamed posted:

Guys.. is Disney trying to personally murder the Godzilla franchise? I'm just asking questions here.

They’re still sore over Bambi vs Godzilla

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

If there was any WB/Legendary movie that Disney was going to try to kill this month, it'd be Detective Pikachu tbh

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

The only thing Disney is trying to kill is its classics with these regurgitated remakes.

Blind Azathoth
Jul 28, 2006
Dia ad aghaidh's ad aodaun... agus bas dunarch ort! Dhonas 's dholas ort, agus leat-sa!... Ungl unl... rrlh ... chchch...
So I've managed to wrangle together a group of friends to go see KotM this weekend, but none of them have seen the 2014 movie. How confused are people going to be / how much do you feel they'll be missing out on by not being familiar with Monarch or the events of the first film?

Mr. Funny Pants
Apr 9, 2001

Beamed posted:

Atomic breath can't melt steel beams.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.

Mr. Funny Pants posted:

Atomic breath can't melt steel beams.

I assure you it can

Synthwave Crusader
Feb 13, 2011

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Holy poo poo this cannot be real. Do these people even know how Godzilla movies work?

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

Never trust mainstream critics when it comes to Godzilla movies.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Darko posted:

Internet critics just hate earnestness. Its a holdover from the millennial "try hard is bad" mentality where everything has to be self aware of how silly the premise is, instead of owning it.

which is weird because Mandy was a critical darling and pretty much owned it. I think they just got lucky though because you're not always gonna get the same reviewers every time. It sounds like a lot of boring white people got to review Godzilla this time around because lol at saying this could be as bad as the 1998 one

dentist toy box posted:

Never trust mainstream critics when it comes to Godzilla movies.

Shin Godzilla was the one that squeezed through with praise though tbh it also won the Japan equivalent of the Oscar for Best Picture so it was a big cut above a lot of the series.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

DLC Inc posted:

which is weird because Mandy was a critical darling and pretty much owned it. I think they just got lucky though because you're not always gonna get the same reviewers every time. It sounds like a lot of boring white people got to review Godzilla this time around because lol at saying this could be as bad as the 1998 one

It's more prevalent with genre films, I think. Movies based on geek properties have to say "this thing is soooo silly and we know it, we're in on the joke" while original things can just be themselves.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Ben Nerevarine posted:

Hahahaha

dentist toy box
Oct 9, 2012

There's a haint in the foothills of NC; the haint of the #3 chevy. The rich have formed a holy alliance to exorcise it but they'll never fucking catch him.

DLC Inc posted:

Shin Godzilla was the one that squeezed through with praise though tbh it also won the Japan equivalent of the Oscar for Best Picture so it was a big cut above a lot of the series.

It also only has like 69 reviews counted on rotten tomatoes, where as like 2014 had over 300. So I think a lot of the critics reviewing a big Hollywood movies aren't going to be watching Shin Godzilla to begin with.

Flint Ironstag
Apr 2, 2004

Bob Johnson...oh, wait

dentist toy box posted:

Never trust mainstream critics.

FIFY

But, seriously, they rarely, if ever, like the fun stuff. I am now 50, yet I am more stoked for this movie than I have been for any movie in years.

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Throughout my hype for this film I’ve ended up discovering that a couple of my friends just don’t have a love for Godzilla. Not an active dislike, just that the premise of a giant lizard stomping on things never enticed them.

I just don’t understand.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

though I know Kong is probably the plan going forward I'm really hoping the next big thing is going to be Gigan, is who without a doubt next on the richter scale of Godzilla's more relevant baddies and has the most loving outlandish design of possibly any kaiju. Idk how you bring a chicken sea monster with a Cyclops visor with hook/chainsaw hands and a machine buzzaw stomach into this universe but gently caress it. Maybe they can do a reimagination of Mechagodzilla and just codename him "Gigan" to explain his robotic parts.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Wendell posted:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I realize I break out this tinfoil hat a lot, but... anyone else figuring that Disney threw their weight around on this?

Oh my garsh.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

DLC Inc posted:

though I know Kong is probably the plan going forward

It's not "probably the plan." Godzilla vs. Kong comes out March 13 of next year.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Blind Azathoth posted:

So I've managed to wrangle together a group of friends to go see KotM this weekend, but none of them have seen the 2014 movie. How confused are people going to be / how much do you feel they'll be missing out on by not being familiar with Monarch or the events of the first film?
It calls back to 2014 enough for newbies to make sense of what's happening in the sequel. They'll be able to figure out the other stuff as these are bog standard concepts for most scifi and hero movies over the last decade.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Movie fun. Stomp some mother fuckers out. Emma and Tywin did nothing wrong :colbert:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

George H.W. oval office posted:

Movie fun. Stomp some mother fuckers out. Emma and Tywin did nothing wrong :colbert:
Agree 100%. Don't kill half, kill everyone.

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
We got an IMAX in Stockholm since a few years back and you bet your kaiju rear end I’ve got a ticket there tonight.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

https://twitter.com/GodzillaMovie/status/1133641574263377920

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

https://twitter.com/sattou0/status/1133778844748460033

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
Just saw it. First spoiler free reactions: I understand why this isn’t a reviewer darling, and it certainly has flaws. But it is overall more than enough fun. Some parts gave a titan-esque grin on my face.

2014 movie is technically better, certainly in terms of directing, but this one is probably more fun. It’s balls to the walls crazy at times, so what’s not to love?

There’s a post credit scene btw.

BigglesSWE fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 29, 2019

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Godzilla 2014 is a kaiju opera. King of the Monsters is a kaiju metal concert.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Tekne posted:

Godzilla 2014 is a kaiju opera. King of the Monsters is a kaiju metal concert.

Ah,so shin Godzilla must be punk rock

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Shin Godzilla is Laibach

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

This film absolutely surpassed my expectations

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

BigglesSWE posted:

Just saw it. First spoiler free reactions: I understand why this isn’t a reviewer darling, and it certainly has flaws. But it is overall more than enough fun. Some parts gave a titan-esque grin on my face.

2014 movie is technically better, certainly in terms of directing, but this one is probably more fun. It’s balls to the walls crazy at times, so what’s not to love?

There’s a post credit scene btw.

Pretty much this, I'm not sure how I feel about the way they went with the overall story. G14 felt like a somewhat realistic universe whereas this went fully into the fantasy scifi, which is fine I guess. The whole ORCA literal plot device thing was kind of weak but everything else was good. The human characters didn't annoy me (outside a few quips) and the monster action is just awesome, the last act is the stuff people probably wanted the last time times a thousand.
The post credit scene also teases something that's probably going to take this poo poo so over the top, but I'll say bring it on.

Hank Morgan
Jun 17, 2007

Light Along the Inverse Curve.
The film was a lot of fun. Godzilla was suitable majestic. The plot mcguffin was fairly weak though and it's function kind of changed half way through the movie. I think you could have taken it out of the film after the opening and the primary Godzilla/Ghidorah conflict was have proceeded in much the same fashion. But you have to give something for the humans to do I suppose.

There were a few references to the older movies but they didn't really beat you over the head with them. My favourite reference was the reveal of the twin scientists working for monarch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
In other news my friend just published a Kaiju novel that he's been working on for a long time;

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1070441503