Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

madmatt112 posted:

Just received this email from one of our HR people: yeesh.

It's like when the CEO of my job's parent company sent out an internal posting to everyone for a "data scientist"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

typhoid mary at least settled for coughing over the soup pot

Yeah, that's, uhh, not how typhoid gets spread.

She was cooking with poo poo-covered hands.

frogge
Apr 7, 2006

Good God reading the last few pages made me remember years ago when I was working in a restaurant and I called in sick for having the flu. When I returned I got written up. Even though I pointed out that I was following the law. I wanted to quit so bad after that but there were no other jobs available to me at the time so I just had to take it.

I heard through the grapevine that that manager was later sued into oblivion for sexual harassment. Couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

I'm really glad that I don't work in an environment like that anymore and that write ups don't happen at my level of employment. It's really lovely for the people at the bottom of the ladder. I understand why places need to be able to get rid of terrible workers somehow, but grognarding a write up system is so unbelievably petty and gets abused without any oversight.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

So was everyone else 1907.

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I licked doorkonbs when I was a little kid, sounds like I should get back into the habit near high end banks next stupid people ghost epidemic season.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

frogge posted:

Good God reading the last few pages made me remember years ago when I was working in a restaurant and I called in sick for having the flu. When I returned I got written up. Even though I pointed out that I was following the law. I wanted to quit so bad after that but there were no other jobs available to me at the time so I just had to take it.

I heard through the grapevine that that manager was later sued into oblivion for sexual harassment. Couldn't happen to a more deserving person.

I'm really glad that I don't work in an environment like that anymore and that write ups don't happen at my level of employment. It's really lovely for the people at the bottom of the ladder. I understand why places need to be able to get rid of terrible workers somehow, but grognarding a write up system is so unbelievably petty and gets abused without any oversight.

write ups dont mean a fuckin thing. I mean I know they exist so they can have a paper trail when they fire you if you look like you might know a lawyer but they're meaningless and if they don't have a legal reason they'll just bully you into leaving by changing your shifts every week, which is legal

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never had a boss write me up after they threatened me with it and I said 'well do it then, who gives a poo poo'

Eat This Glob
Jan 14, 2008

God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him. Who will wipe this blood off us? What festivals of atonement, what sacred games shall we need to invent?

Random rear end in a top hat posted:

her story is both neat and super hosed up. they just locked her in a room without any charges or anything and eventually someone fought for her rights, this being America and all, and they let her out under the condition that she doesn't cook again, but it was literally her only marketable skill and she had to make a living, so of course she went back to work as a cook.

"Get Well Soon" by Jennifer Wright covers it and is a heck of an interesting read if you're into history and medicine

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i'll admit that as a non-native speaker i didn't even know what disease 'typhoid' is, while simultaneously claiming that i only softened the story for the sake of good taste (in practice she no doubt just failed to wash her hands well enough)

it is an interesting story though. sort of back to being relevant in present antivaxx reality

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

gey muckle mowser posted:

if you're gonna do that at least like spit on your hand and then touch the knob, don't straight up lick it :stare:

I'm pretty sure that's actually what she did and she just says she licked them for added disgusting effect tbh, like I can't imagine her straight-up licking things considering how grossed out she gets at things I do :v:

We're just real gross trash people I guess

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Also as far as I know her current biological warfare campaign has gotten her absolute rotten husk of a boss sick twice so that's good. I mostly know about him because of his charming opinions, like:

- "Doctors should be allowed to say no and not prescribe medication to kids who think they're trans!" "They... already can do that..." "Well then why don't they?!!"
- Lots of really gross stuff about Caitlyn Jenner and Chelsea Manning
- And my personal favorite, after Florida passed a constitutional amendment mandating nonviolent convicts get voting rights back he was furious because they'll all be able to vote for democrats now and suppressing their votes was a good thing because they vote wrong.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

He sounds like a lovely boss, but intentionally infecting people with flu is super hosed up - her boss isn't the only one to get infected but will also spread the flu around to others he comes into contact with, including vulnerable parts of the population. Flu sucks for healthy adults, but is really serious and at times deadly for children, elderly, and cancer patients or others with a compromised immune system.

It's just straight up hosed to purposely infect people with illnesses.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

while that's true, it's also a pretty fascinating bit of resistance. not against the law is it? and not against the praxis the boss aims to establish

accelerationism really, but the accelerationists have been at the rudder since 2016.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Enfys posted:

He sounds like a lovely boss, but intentionally infecting people with flu is super hosed up - her boss isn't the only one to get infected but will also spread the flu around to others he comes into contact with, including vulnerable parts of the population. Flu sucks for healthy adults, but is really serious and at times deadly for children, elderly, and cancer patients or others with a compromised immune system.

It's just straight up hosed to purposely infect people with illnesses.

She's never done it with the flu since that one time she was an edgy dumb kid in college, nowadays it's just with like head colds and poo poo

Honestly I think she's just trying to justify going to work despite being sick because she's really passive and afraid of any sort of conflict with anyone at work that might happen by asking for a sick day. I really wish she would actually stand up to her rear end in a top hat company sometimes but whatever, that's on her :shrug:

Dr. Killjoy
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk::mason::brainworms::tinfoil::thunkher:
your wife, as some kind of IRL Daughter of Nurgle, loving rules

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

while that's true, it's also a pretty fascinating bit of resistance. not against the law is it? and not against the praxis the boss aims to establish

accelerationism really, but the accelerationists have been at the rudder since 2016.

not federally but iirc California has laws against intentional spread of disease

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

their spouse can't be obliged to testify against them and as long as they never admit to it good luck establishing beyond a reasonable doubt for this gnarly praxis

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

It's not resistance; it's spreading contagious illness on purpose among innocent people :psyduck:

It's not just her boss that gets infected (or any coworkers who come into contact with her "biological warfare") - he's going to infect other people because common viruses like colds and flus are highly contagious and have reproductive ratios greater than 1. Your average person will spread the virus to 2-3 other people (depending on the specific virus - can be as high as 5 for some rhinoviruses).

That includes people vulnerable to infection or with compromised immune systems, other people who can't afford to or aren't able to take time off work, and just random unconnected people whose lives are made shittier by getting sick and who will also then spread it among friends and family and co-workers.

Having to go into work when sick is terrible and hurts people, but choosing to intentionally spread that illness so that others are put in the same situation is just as hosed up and selfish. One of the biggest reasons why making people work while sick is bad is because it spreads contagious illness faster and wider among the public, and she's actively supporting that.

Not everyone is a healthy adult, and most people who leave their house will have contact with people who aren't healthy adults. It's not edgy or cool to deliberately spread contagious viruses; it's being an rear end in a top hat to random people.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

Of all the ways for the world to end, some dudes wife licking door knobs to start a plague is not one I'd have guessed.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
When our turn comes we will not apologize for the flu.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

ChipNDip posted:

Lazy Europeans smdh. This is why you don't have nice things like 3000 square foot McMansions kept at 20C year round, a massive truck that is only used to commute 40 miles one way, 6 pairs of tacticool Oakleys and roughly 7 lbs of ground beef and 7lbs of steak per week. Gotta work hard to live the good life!

this car commercial from a few years ago basically

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xNzXze5Yza8

Squalid
Nov 4, 2008

you probably can’t get the flu from a doorknob anyway, iirc it dies almost as soon as it dries out and is really only transmitted through direct inhalation of aerosolized droplets or direct contact

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

Enfys posted:

It's not resistance; it's spreading contagious illness on purpose among innocent people :psyduck:

It's not just her boss that gets infected (or any coworkers who come into contact with her "biological warfare") - he's going to infect other people because common viruses like colds and flus are highly contagious and have reproductive ratios greater than 1. Your average person will spread the virus to 2-3 other people (depending on the specific virus - can be as high as 5 for some rhinoviruses).

That includes people vulnerable to infection or with compromised immune systems, other people who can't afford to or aren't able to take time off work, and just random unconnected people whose lives are made shittier by getting sick and who will also then spread it among friends and family and co-workers.

Having to go into work when sick is terrible and hurts people, but choosing to intentionally spread that illness so that others are put in the same situation is just as hosed up and selfish. One of the biggest reasons why making people work while sick is bad is because it spreads contagious illness faster and wider among the public, and she's actively supporting that.

Not everyone is a healthy adult, and most people who leave their house will have contact with people who aren't healthy adults. It's not edgy or cool to deliberately spread contagious viruses; it's being an rear end in a top hat to random people.

I hadn't considered that by spreading the cold, I could be hurting elderly people.

Definitely not calling in the next time I'm sick.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

quote:

Plaguewife Chat

:sever:

Thanatosian posted:

I hadn't considered that by spreading the cold, I could be hurting elderly people.

I don't give a poo poo about the olds, but the kids and cancer/immunocompromised people definitely fall under the "Pretty Evil To Harm" category.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.
Taking jokes so seriously...

:emo:

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan
My place actually gives us unlimited sick days, with a note required after 3 days so we’re all on the honor system basically.

My predecessor towards the end was using like 3-4 sick days a month to interview around so good for him or whatever.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

The Nastier Nate posted:

My place actually gives us unlimited sick days, with a note required after 3 days so we’re all on the honor system basically.

My predecessor towards the end was using like 3-4 sick days a month to interview around so good for him or whatever.

Unlimited paid sick days or unlimitied without disciplinary consequences?

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

madmatt112 posted:

Just received this email from one of our HR people: yeesh.

The biggest plot hole in the purge series is the lack of suits strung up to every lamppost like the best Christmas decorations since I watched that Elf movie

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Thanatosian posted:

Don't say elderly when you mean boomers.

Spready the flu is just increasing your chance of finding gainful employment.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Dr. Killjoy posted:

keep in mind that this contributes to the high turnover rate

The high turnover rate screws everything these days.

Hollandia
Jul 27, 2007

rattus rattus

Grimey Drawer
Sick of those drat fossil fuels? Well, how do you feel about... Freedom molecules!

Hizawk
Jun 18, 2004

High on the Lions.

I've never used a sick day yet in 16 years of working.

I seem to only get massively sick on weekends or vacation.

Id rather be sick on the companies time.

Greatbacon
Apr 9, 2012

by Pragmatica

Hizawk posted:

I've never used a sick day yet in 16 years of working.

I seem to only get massively sick on weekends or vacation.

Id rather be sick on the companies time.

what do you think sick days are, if not being sick on the company dime?

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I used to say I never get sick. These days though, I find getting older, I get sick more often. So I miss work once in awhile...because I'm sick. I tend to be sick on May 1st, for example.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I tend to be sick when my weed looks really good and I wake up sad.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/05/study-trump-tax-cuts-failed-growth-investment.html

quote:

The biggest effect of the Trump tax cuts is obvious: People who own businesses and other sources of concentrated wealth will have a lot more money, and the federal budget will have less.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Hollandia posted:

Sick of those drat fossil fuels? Well, how do you feel about... Freedom molecules!

How could you quote that and not "freedom gas"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

The Nastier Nate posted:

IIRC the whole ~unlimited sick days~ and ~unlimited time off~ stuff tends to be a scam for various reasons, we had it at my last office and I think it actually lowered the amount of time people took off somehow.

Shipon
Nov 7, 2005

Shame Boy posted:

IIRC the whole ~unlimited sick days~ and ~unlimited time off~ stuff tends to be a scam for various reasons, we had it at my last office and I think it actually lowered the amount of time people took off somehow.

it's also used in states where you're required to pay out PTO upon separation so they can get out of having to do so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

grah
Jul 26, 2007
brainsss

Shame Boy posted:

Usually places with unlimited time off have an environment that exerts a lot of pressure against taking any time off at all--whether through social pressure or being results/goal oriented in a way that makes it hard to be away for any length of time. And then since there's no structure to time off, it's easy to end up just not taking time. If you get 4 weeks vacation a year you take those 4 weeks. If you have some nebulous amount of time you might never really take any of it.