Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

stinkypete
Nov 27, 2007
wow

My favorite Nintendo game used to be "Silent Service". I will always remember this documentary on PBS about sub life and this dude with glasses just said "We get bored so Touching and Stuff". Then in high school the one recruiter was normal as a recruiter can be and the other guy had a broken tooth and was fresh from a sub and sent to recruit. They had some friction I picked up on. I didn't sign up for the Navy that day.

Edited to change the name of the video game.

stinkypete fucked around with this message at 08:17 on May 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PROCUREMENT CHAT

I think we may have finally dodged a bullet:

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/28/lo...0JlUCghfA-OVhEg

quote:

Lockheed Martin won’t submit a bid to compete in the design of the Navy’s next-generation guided-missile (FFG(X)) frigate competition, company officials told USNI News on Tuesday.

The company elected to focus on its involvement developing the frigate combat system and other systems rather than forward its Freedom-class LCS design for the detailed design and construction contract Naval Sea Systems Command plans to issue this summer, Joe DePietro, Lockheed Martin vice president of small combatants and ship systems, told USNI News.The company informed the Navy on May 23 it would not join the other bidders for the hull design, two sources familiar with the notification told USNI News.

While the design passed two Navy reviews, the company told the service it felt the Freedom design would be stretched too far to accommodate all the capabilities required, one source told USNI News.

Al Capwn
Nov 18, 2004
I just got orders to the Blue Ridge and pretty stoked about being stationed in Japan. But someone from my current command claims that its going to be switching homeports sometime in either 2020 or 2021 to San Diego, North Island. I asked him how does he know and he just said "i know some people in the blue ridge and they said that." I'm skeptical about that because I thought the entire purpose of the Blue Ridge was just visiting ports and strengthening relationships with allies in 7th fleet. So then which ship would replace it? And what mission would the Blue Ridge have in SD, visiting Central America and South America? Anyways, do you guys think this is BS or has some truth to it?

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Madurai posted:

PROCUREMENT CHAT

I think we may have finally dodged a bullet:

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/28/lo...0JlUCghfA-OVhEg

That loving sucks for the thousand of us up in Marinette.

I suppose there's always a chance that the FMM frigate gets picked but it felt a lot better having two bids in.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

That loving sucks for the thousand of us up in Marinette.

I suppose there's always a chance that the FMM frigate gets picked but it felt a lot better having two bids in.

It sucks for the guys working the yards in Marinette of course, but for the sailors who will be on the ship, the Freedom LCS design cannot function as an actual modern frigate, it isn't survivable in any real sense in surface combat last I heard. LCS is a ship in search of a mission tbh, which described that whole program.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

It sucks for the guys working the yards in Marinette of course, but for the sailors who will be on the ship, the Freedom LCS design cannot function as an actual modern frigate, it isn't survivable in any real sense in surface combat last I heard. LCS is a ship in search of a mission tbh, which described that whole program.

It was never designed to be a frigate, and it was literally not designed to be survivable. Those were the Navys decisions.

Regardless the RFI made it pretty clear what the navy wants the next gen frigates to be, and Lockheed's design would have sufficed.

The whole LCS programs hosed but to act like a frigate designed by LM was going to run into the same problems is ignorant.

And at the end of the day this wont matter because Congress will keep buying independence and freedom ships for the lulz.

FWIW my feeling on the hulls from a mission standpoint is to take half the fleet and put them in the gulf, take the other half for counter drug ops.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 23:55 on May 28, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

The whole LCS programs hosed but to act like a frigate designed by LM was going to run into the same problems is ignorant.

Did you read the article, they were literally planning to submit the Freedom LCS hull as their candidate for the bid. That is the bullet that was dodged, because if you used a rebadged LCS as a surface combatant, that thing would be sunk by the first antiship missile to hit it.

LCS works in a permissive environment. In an environment where they're against a peer nation they're loving death traps.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 23:59 on May 28, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

PneumonicBook posted:

FWIW my feeling on the hulls from a mission standpoint is to take half the fleet and put them in the gulf, take the other half for counter drug ops.

Bring back The Texas Navy

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Did you read the article, they were literally planning to submit the Freedom LCS hull as their candidate for the bid.

They were using an uparmored hull. Have you seen the proposed LM hull design? The biggest issue with the ships from a survivability standpoint is the engineering plant, which literally cant be the same based on the RFI.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Did you read the article, they were literally planning to submit the Freedom LCS hull as their candidate for the bid. That is the bullet that was dodged, because if you used a rebadged LCS as a surface combatant, that thing would be sunk by the first antiship missile to hit it.

LCS works in a permissive environment. In an environment where they're against a peer nation they're loving death traps.

LCS is not designed to attack peer capability ships.

Frigate would be.

The hull would have changes to ensure that, and based on proposals I saw did.

Like dont get me wrong here, the only design worse than the proposed LM design is Austal's. The FREMM is probably the best design as of now.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:04 on May 29, 2019

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Aren't they still built out of aluminum? E: the superstructure is.

Maybe I'm coming at this from a wrong angle. I can tell this is gonna get testy so I'll just drop it, I've never ridden on an LCS and I haven't seen the redesigned ship designs, so I can't really argue for or against the thing. I just don't think that even an up-armored LCS would work in a peer combat scenario, does it even have proper damage control systems since its whole thing was to not be hit? Just seems like a ground up re-design would have been a better ship and Lockmart should have designed a new hull that would have fit the bill instead of square peg in round hole poo poo.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:13 on May 29, 2019

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

orange juche posted:

Aren't they still built out of aluminum?

The freedom LCS' have a steel hull, aluminum superstructure. Austal's indy class are all aluminum.

Somewhat related, lol at the Saudis for buying 4-8 freedoms with VLS.

PneumonicBook fucked around with this message at 00:09 on May 29, 2019

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

Al Capwn posted:

I just got orders to the Blue Ridge and pretty stoked about being stationed in Japan. But someone from my current command claims that its going to be switching homeports sometime in either 2020 or 2021 to San Diego, North Island. I asked him how does he know and he just said "i know some people in the blue ridge and they said that." I'm skeptical about that because I thought the entire purpose of the Blue Ridge was just visiting ports and strengthening relationships with allies in 7th fleet. So then which ship would replace it? And what mission would the Blue Ridge have in SD, visiting Central America and South America? Anyways, do you guys think this is BS or has some truth to it?

Considering BLUE RIDGE is literally the main bulk of the physical desk space for 7th Fleet and there isn't another class that can do that I'm very skeptical of this claim.

The Valley Stared
Nov 4, 2009

Al Capwn posted:

ManMythLegend posted:

Considering BLUE RIDGE is literally the main bulk of the physical desk space for 7th Fleet and there isn't another class that can do that I'm very skeptical of this claim.

I'm with MML here. I have a friend that's about to leave the Blue Ridge in a few weeks that I can ask, and considering that they just spent a poo poo ton of money refurbishing her? I don't think the ship is conducting a home port shift any time soon.

Edit: Spoke with my friend. He's not sure where the guy in your command heard that (he did note that this was a rumor a few years back, but it was unfounded), but you are safe to enjoy Japan for a few years and to experience those awesome port visits.

The Valley Stared fucked around with this message at 02:28 on May 29, 2019

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender
Could fit a lot of desks and wine casks on the Lewis B. Puller. Or a welldeckless America class.

But I don't see them taking Blue Ridge out of 7th fleet unless it's for an extended yard period and probably not even then. And not soon.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

piL posted:

Could fit a lot of desks and wine casks on the Lewis B. Puller. Or a welldeckless America class.

But I don't see them taking Blue Ridge out of 7th fleet unless it's for an extended yard period and probably not even then. And not soon.

Don't they have yard services in Yokosuka? If they didn't work on it there, they could rotate it to Pearl for a bit and then move it back out to Japan when the yard time is done. There's no real reason to send it back to San Diego that couldn't be handled in Pearl.

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

orange juche posted:

Don't they have yard services in Yokosuka? If they didn't work on it there, they could rotate it to Pearl for a bit and then move it back out to Japan when the yard time is done. There's no real reason to send it back to San Diego that couldn't be handled in Pearl.

They are yard periods in Yoko, but sometimes availability or shipping costs is such that two trans-Pacific journies and two PCSs could be worth it. Unlikely though.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

The comment section is real great

https://news.usni.org/2019/05/28/experts-navy-would-spend-billions-to-answer-trumps-call-to-return-carriers-to-steam-catapults

quote:

Trump fired a rocket at the admirals. Get the Ford working and out to the fleet, as in right away. I bet he’s watching the FFG(X) and Columbia as well.

Exactly what we hire a president to do. Rarely do they do it. Heads up in the clouds or another place lower and darker and tighter.

quote:

Kudos agreed!! However it is sending a message to the public that thier tax dollars are being abused!! This is the only thing I agree with our POTUS!!

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

orange juche posted:

The yards in hawaii are so bad with cost overruns and rework necessary that the navy rotates ships to San Diego now for major yard work. It's cheaper/more efficient to crew swap a DDG and change homeports for the ship itself than it is to dry dock it in Pearl.

The Yoko shipyard is the best shipyard in the fleet, on the other hand.

Othin
Nov 20, 2002

Hair Elf
Given the facts that the Blue Ridge just came out of a two year plus maintenance period which ran well over 50 million and other than the Mount Whitney, there is literally no other ship left in the Navy that can fulfill that function (or seat so much staff) I highly doubt it. I was on there in 2004 and when BLR went into DSRA, they brought the Coronado over for 7th fleet to use. Now that the Coronado and LaSalle are reefs there aren't any backups either. I'm wondering if the geedunk rumor mills wires got crossed on the Wasp/America swap out.

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
The Navy has turned just about any bullshit godawful ergonomic wreck of a space into desk space.

I'm sure they can find something else to cause grievous repetitive strain injuries and back problems that isn't the Ridge.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Mentioned over in current events, but Very Stable Genius Alert:

https://twitter.com/rebeccaballhaus/status/1133882529335980032

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://www.facebook.com/345910548831461/posts/2273213116101185/

From MCPON, PRT changes next year with situps out for a plank and rowing machine added for alt cardio. Good changes imo as the guy who does rowing for cardio anyway

Laranzu
Jan 18, 2002
Motherfucker. I can do a billion situps but suck at planks. They run a solid chance of angering a hernia repair I had

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
This just in : FTN and gently caress you if you're still in.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Nick Soapdish posted:

From MCPON, PRT changes next year with situps out for a plank and rowing machine added for alt cardio. Good changes imo as the guy who does rowing for cardio anyway

I hate sit-ups. Always feel my backbone grinding around. Guess I better start planking.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Madurai posted:

Wasn’t the ship named for his dad?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS

Ron Jeremy posted:

Wasn’t the ship named for his dad?

Both his father and grandfather, originally, and rededicated last year to include him as well apparently.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

Madurai posted:

That is really horrible.

And par for the course.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Madurai posted:

They gave all personnel not directly participating in the visit the day off and basically told us to stay in your home/the gently caress away from base. 4-day weekend during my AT :toot:

Does anyone have experience with or can point me toward the regs governing a spouse staying in my hotel room during an AT or TDY? I looked through the JTR but didn't see anything. I assume it would definitely be prohibited if the room rate was higher for 2 guests vs. 1, but I couldn't locate any specifics.

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 30, 2019

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1133900762709463040

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Gray Matter posted:

They gave all personnel not directly participating in the visit the day off and basically told us to stay in your home/the gently caress away from base. 4-day weekend during my AT :toot:

Does anyone have experience with or can point me toward the regs governing a spouse staying in my hotel room during an AT or TDY? I looked through the JTR but didn't see anything. I assume it would definitely be prohibited if the room rate was higher for 2 guests vs. 1, but I couldn't locate any specifics.

The official answer is that your AT/TDY is for you to do Navy work, and don't let your spouse being there be an excuse to slack off.

That said, it's fairly well encouraged for longer overseas ATs, especially in conjunction with space-a travel. You incur any expenses over and above your single rate, though. If the hotel charges more for two-person occupancy, then you just pay the difference out of pocket (out of your per diem).

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/chinfo/status/1133918353490403329?s=19

This just keeps getting more dumb

piL
Sep 20, 2007
(__|\\\\)
Taco Defender

Nick Soapdish posted:

Finally a practical exercise.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

This seems like a really dumb thing to try to hide since documentation is going to be everywhere.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Gray Matter posted:

I've had my wife visit during AT in Washington DC, ADT in Rhode Island, and TDY in Norfolk. Nobody said anything.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Stultus Maximus posted:

I've had my wife visit during AT in Washington DC, ADT in Rhode Island, and TDY in Norfolk. Nobody said anything.

I took my wife to Hawaii twice for AT. Command found out and let me off early on a Friday.

ZekeNY
Jun 13, 2013

Probably AFK

LingcodKilla posted:

This seems like a really dumb thing to try to hide since documentation is going to be everywhere.

Who are you going to believe, CHINFO or your own lyin’ eyes?

eta receipts:

https://twitter.com/amanda_m_macias/status/1133939845968080897

ZekeNY fucked around with this message at 13:33 on May 30, 2019

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

LingcodKilla posted:

I took my wife to Hawaii twice for AT. Command found out and let me off early on a Friday.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How'd you handle the price differential for 1 lodger vs. 2 in DTS? (was there a difference?)

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 14:16 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

Gray Matter posted:

How'd you handle the price differential in for 1 lodger vs. 2 in DTS? (was there a difference?)

Didn’t. I just asked my command if my wife could visit me and the universal answer was either her or my girl/boyfriend they don’t care. I suppose in the future I’ll look in DTS but it didn’t occur to me at the time.