Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it was so broken on android phones for so long that they needed to be able to bug fix it regularly. otherwise android phones would have been banned from every corporate network.

Linux

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
there's no google thread any more i think, so i'm just going to post this in here

how in the gently caress is there no api/oauth level integration between gmail and g-suite?

what goddamned idiot dipshit decided to require enabling "less secure connections" in order to use send-as between two accounts on googles own servers?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

it's easier for them to get ad data if you don't encrypt it, obviously.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

infernal machines posted:

there's no google thread any more i think, so i'm just going to post this in here

how in the gently caress is there no api/oauth level integration between gmail and g-suite?

what goddamned idiot dipshit decided to require enabling "less secure connections" in order to use send-as between two accounts on googles own servers?

because you’re supposed to use the multiple account setup in chome instead

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

graph posted:

ohhhhhhhhhh i remember this lol

yeah network engineering literally had to modify the wireless network so fuckin anroids could connect to it

yeah i remember in like 2010/11 stanford put out some notice that the increasing number of android devices on campus was crippling their wireless network. lol

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

because you’re supposed to use the multiple account setup in chome instead

which is clunky as gently caress bullshit that requires you to switch back and forth between mailboxes.

this wasn't for me, someone wanted it set up and so i was looking at the process and it's a loving joke.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google is very bad at enterprise anything, so gsuite and gcp are a loving mess.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

a couple years back i had to migrate mail from a single gmail account to multiple g-suite domains and holy gently caress their integration was an absolutely unavailable mess

i ended up having to do some dev account bullshit with a rickety as poo poo client-side api tool that could move all of like 10 messages a minute.

like, i cannot imagine what kind of bullshit they have running behind the scenes that could make a mess like that necessary

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

The Management posted:

dhcp is a google play service because it was so broken on android phones for so long that they needed to be able to bug fix it regularly. otherwise android phones would have been banned from every corporate network.

god, following that loving bug ticket over the 5 year course it took to fix that problem was a trip

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

The Management posted:

google is very bad at enterprise anything, so gsuite and gcp are a loving mess.

anyone dumb enough to use any of it deserves what they get

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

i think this is the google thread now

in what is truly a shock google is deprecating ad blocking to all but enterprise customers in the resolution of that story from a few months ago

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'm honestly surprised the ad company let it last as long as it did.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?
google runs the world’s largest ad filter, gmail.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
ah, so that’s what happened. i remember planning to switch from chrome to Firefox a few months back but my ad blocking stuff still ran fine. but then that weird Firefox update that hosed up their extensions happened and I never got around to it.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

wonder what Microsoft’s fork of chrome (edge) will do

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
will they have a choice?

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
microsoft is supposedly good now so let's see

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
goog is disabling it in the chome release so Microsoft could just not do that. even if goog was removing it from chromium, Microsoft could just re-add it in their fork.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I guess if this is the google thread throw this in the graveyard

Understand upcoming changes to YouTube Gaming
The YouTube Gaming app will go away on May 30, but you’ll be able to find all of your favorite gaming videos in the YouTube main app at https://www.youtube.com/gaming. Learn more about Gaming on YouTube here.
We want to continue to build a stronger home for the gaming community that thrives on YouTube, not just the YouTube Gaming app. After May 2019, we’ll retire the YouTube Gaming app and focus our gaming efforts across YouTube.

Hegel Exercises
Apr 25, 2019

Too fair to worship, too divine to love...

WTF is YouTube gaming?

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

Hegel Exercises posted:

WTF is YouTube gaming?
google trying to do twitch, basically

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
they try but they dont have the memes

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
lost another one

i did not realize this phone had a side button specially dedicated to their lovely assistant

https://twitter.com/jon_bois/status/1134026864232751106

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Sniep posted:

microsoft is supposedly good now so let's see

they'll for sure keep the full api. the edge team is likely mostly powered by spite atm, and chredge will be a vehicle for loving with google from the seemingly cooperative position of being on the "same" engine.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

El_Elegante posted:

ah, so that’s what happened. i remember planning to switch from chrome to Firefox a few months back but my ad blocking stuff still ran fine. but then that weird Firefox update that hosed up their extensions happened and I never got around to it.

use waterfox. all old firefox extensions work and it is updated regularly

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

they'll for sure keep the full api. the edge team is likely mostly powered by spite atm, and chredge will be a vehicle for loving with google from the seemingly cooperative position of being on the "same" engine.

it’s really the only hope we have for we browsers.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hoobastank4ever97 posted:

is it updated at the same time as firefox? i've heard it gets security updates a lot slower which is no bueno

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I see browsers are trying to catch up to android fragmentation

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

Last Chance posted:

is it updated at the same time as firefox? i've heard it gets security updates a lot slower which is no bueno

It is as you say, a lot slower.

Don't use waterfox, use an esr release of firefox if you can't stand updates

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

and make sure you install this custom rom from xda

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
it's literally just a fork of the firefox where extensions actually work. it gets regularly security updates

until tab mix plus works again in firefox (it never will) i'm not moving from Waterfox because firefox sucks rear end at tab management. 3 rows baby

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I'm glad you are continuing your track record of dumb poo poo and idiot advice

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the chrome extension model won out because it is really good and nonintrusive to the main tasks of the browser. mozilla was right to imitate it. just use firefox.

or chredge like me, if you want to be weird about it.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I'm glad you are continuing your track record of dumb poo poo and idiot advice

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

i dont even get ads in actual apps like Waze. suck it chump

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

lmbo

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

Dodoman posted:

It is as you say, a lot slower.

Don't use waterfox, use an esr release of firefox if you can't stand updates

oh god now I’m just imagining esr trying to do to firefox what he did to ncurses

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy

oh and you joke about custom ROMs (which i dont do) but after rooting my phone guess who can block ads on my phone at the hosts level? :smug:

...or you could've just used blokada which doesn't require root

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

it's literally just a fork of the firefox where extensions actually work. it gets regularly security updates

yeah it "regularly" gets them weeks late lol. don't use fireforks ppl

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003

jfc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Anroid.