Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

As with the iPad Mini, the Touch still has a huge install base in business and only needs minor refreshes to pull in tons profit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
Plus they get used in sp.ed/classroom/embedded dealie/accessibility/engineering settings a lot. It’s an iOS-based pocket computer without the phone, you’d think Apple would floss that a bit more.

But alas, the Apple that would advertise the academic/research/medicine/etc capabilities of their hardware on their site in detail died sometime around 2010.

Also iPad mini almost always kinda beats the Touch unless you need the handheld size.

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

The iPad Mini owns and Apple should probably one day do an iPad Mini Pro but they won't.

Cowards :colbert:

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Binary Badger posted:

And gave it an A12 Bionic, which makes it computationally better than a Mac Pro

But again Apple is only driven by profit, apparently there's plenty of people who don't want an iPhone but want everything it provides -except- a smartphone and are willing to live with WiFi forever.

It also wouldn't surprise me if Apple kept the rMBP as it is with speed bumps for another three years because they only want it to be good enough to run Xcode and build iOS projects.

Wonder if they've got some hulking iPad Pro XS running Xcode on a special iOS..

There are prototype laptops with Qualcomm Snapdragon processors at Computex right now. I'm hoping the Apple ones are close with new keyboards.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Electric Bugaloo posted:

But alas, the Apple that would advertise the academic/research/medicine/etc capabilities of their hardware on their site in detail died sometime around 2010.

:confused:
https://www.apple.com/business/
https://www.apple.com/education/
https://www.apple.com/healthcare/

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

This isn’t what I mean, although it’s not bad. But in the 2000s Apple would profile different people/teams using Macs and stuff for, like, radiology processing or molecular biology and feature them on the site homepage. It was kinda dorky and not kept up-to-date all the time in a way that’s very “2000s Apple.”

Now Apple’s like “brilliant creative people use Apple hardware for diverse things” in flashy, monochrome ads, and keep it all very surface-level while peppering in examples of famous artists. Like- “here’s a photographer, and here’s a student writing, and here’s a scientist of some sort looking analytical, and look here’s Paul McCartney in the studio, and a lady in a hardhat, and also Grimes!, and.....”

MrBond
Feb 19, 2004

FYI, Cheese NIPS are not the same as Cheez ITS

Electric Bugaloo posted:

This isn’t what I mean, although it’s not bad. But in the 2000s Apple would profile different people/teams using Macs and stuff for, like, radiology processing or molecular biology and feature them on the site homepage. It was kinda dorky and not kept up-to-date all the time in a way that’s very “2000s Apple.”

Now Apple’s like “brilliant creative people use Apple hardware for diverse things” in flashy, monochrome ads, and keep it all very surface-level while peppering in examples of famous artists. Like- “here’s a photographer, and here’s a student writing, and here’s a scientist of some sort looking analytical, and look here’s Paul McCartney in the studio, and a lady in a hardhat, and also Grimes!, and.....”

Seems like a really weak argument if all you can come down to is “apple should highlight *these* professionals and not these *other* professionals!”

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

A squid eating dough in a polyethylene bag is fast and bulbous—got me?
Mac Pro update: the memory I next-dayed has been delayed by one day by US holiday and one day by severe weather conditions.

It came with 2GB. :thumbsup:

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

cowofwar posted:

I was using my wife’s new macbook and compared to the keyboard and trackpad on my old macbook pro (early 2011), I hate it.

Yeah, I was playing around with my sister's 2018 Air during the holidays last month and the trackpad is the worst thing. I can almost deal with the crappy keyboard (but not really), but man, the trackpad is horrid and feels so fake. It's just plain wrong coming from a real trackpad on my late 2013 retina MBP, my girlfriend's 2013 MBA, or any pre-2016 Macbook that doesn't suck.

I've said it before, but I have no clue what I'm going to do when my trusty rMBP inevitably dies in a couple years. There's no way in heck I'm going for a new Macbook. But maybe I can hold out several more years, assuming Apple doesn't arbitrarily discontinue support for older models. But that probably won't happen since the computational differences between a 2013-2015 MBP and current models aren't really that noticeable, besides GPU performance. Moore's Law has leveled off and then some.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Cough Drop The Beat posted:

Yeah, I was playing around with my sister's 2018 Air during the holidays last month and the trackpad is the worst thing. I can almost deal with the crappy keyboard (but not really), but man, the trackpad is horrid and feels so fake. It's just plain wrong coming from a real trackpad on my late 2013 retina MBP, my girlfriend's 2013 MBA, or any pre-2016 Macbook that doesn't suck.

I've said it before, but I have no clue what I'm going to do when my trusty rMBP inevitably dies in a couple years. There's no way in heck I'm going for a new Macbook. But maybe I can hold out several more years, assuming Apple doesn't arbitrarily discontinue support for older models. But that probably won't happen since the computational differences between a 2013-2015 MBP and current models aren't really that noticeable, besides GPU performance. Moore's Law has leveled off and then some.

1) you’re literally the only person I’ve seen in like 4 years have a problem with the force touch trackpad thing. I’m not ridiculing it or disputing it but it’s definitely not the most commonplace gripe with the newer machines. Also I believe the 2015 pros have it.

2) the computational differences between a 2013-2015 and a 2016-2017 machine aren’t noticeable. The 2018/2019 models where Intel finally started slapping extra cores on poo poo to make up for AMD landing one on them are a major change. Going from a dual core 13” to quad, or from quad core to 6 or 8 cores in a 15” is a massive leap in capability.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Just use tap to click. The trackpad is great that way.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Mu Zeta posted:

Just use tap to click. The trackpad is great that way.

Changing my entire life right about now... Dunno why I never thought to try this in the past. I probably thought it eliminated the click altogether and thought "no thanks."

I love the 2015 Force Touch trackpad more than any trackpad I've ever used (including the old mechanical Macbook trackpad,) but I do wonder what blowing it up to gigantic proportions and putting it in the smaller & lighter 2018 Macbook Air would do in regards to its overall feel.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
The trackpads on MacBooks are about the best things ever. Palm rejection is good, there's no lag, and there's so much space. Having to go to any Windows portable is a pain. I've heard the new Precision trackpads are really good, but that feature has been so bad for so long that I've lost all faith in Windows.

But I sincerely and with all my heart hate tap to click. On my old Surface Pro tap to click was the default and impossible to turn off.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Krispy Wafer posted:

The trackpads on MacBooks are about the best things ever. Palm rejection is good, there's no lag, and there's so much space. Having to go to any Windows portable is a pain.
:same:

Krispy Wafer posted:

But I sincerely and with all my heart hate tap to click.
MEGA :same:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Krispy Wafer posted:

The trackpads on MacBooks are about the best things ever. Palm rejection is good, there's no lag, and there's so much space. Having to go to any Windows portable is a pain. I've heard the new Precision trackpads are really good, but that feature has been so bad for so long that I've lost all faith in Windows.

But I sincerely and with all my heart hate tap to click. On my old Surface Pro tap to click was the default and impossible to turn off.

The correct opinion.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Krispy Wafer posted:

God yes. I always go to move a window or something and end up with it stuck to my cursor like a booger.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Counter opinion: I love tap to click and spent way too long on a windows laptop I own hacking the registry to make the trackpad work as closely to a mac trackpad as the software supported.

What I really don't like on the modern mac pads is the second click on a hard press. I always gently caress up dragging icons and end up opening it with quick view because my gorilla hands applied too much pressure.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

xzzy posted:

What I really don't like on the modern mac pads is the second click on a hard press. I always gently caress up dragging icons and end up opening it with quick view because my gorilla hands applied too much pressure.

turn it off?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sorry, I did. I neglected to put my post in the past tense.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I was moving files from my stepmom's 09' MBP to her 2018 refub MBP and neither had tap-to-click enabled and it was most irritating. #Tap2Click4Lyfe

Weedle
May 31, 2006

More like crap to click!!!!!!!!!!

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Boy, I've seen some rMBPs get hot, but not as hot as this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/bulbhv/my_macbook_pro_exploded_and_burst_into_flames/

Apple's SOP for when this happens is to have a bucket of sand to bury the unit in, because water will just cause an explosion if it manages to touch some exposed lithium.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 22:11 on May 30, 2019

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Unrelatedly, that Chernobyl series is great

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Binary Badger posted:

Boy, I've seen some rMBPs get hot, but not as hot as this!

https://www.reddit.com/r/apple/comments/bulbhv/my_macbook_pro_exploded_and_burst_into_flames/

Apple's SOP for when this happens is to have a bucket of sand to bury the unit in, because water will just cause an explosion if it manages to touch some exposed lithium.

I was reading this and dudes acting like a whiny bitch and trying to milk this for his band publicity

Like I get that he's pissed at Apple, but he's losing his poo poo because they haven't fixed the entire problem and sent it back in 24 hours, he's trying to flex about 'I need this ~for business~' and then someone says to just buy a new one and return it later, and he's like 'no, it's too much hassle to set up a new computer'

Seems like he was going for the 'no backup gambit' and lost

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

"The mean old Apple geniuses wouldn't instantly repair the machine that went through hellfire and give it back to me totally restored with nothing lost and a voucher good for three nights at a Vegas hooker house"

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

Mac Pro update:

code:
macOS could not be installed on your computer.
An error occurred while loading the installer resources.
Quit the installer to restart your computer and try again.
:shepface:

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

What did you wind up getting exactly, a 5,1 upgraded above 2 GB and the stock video card? (Probably an ATI 5770)

What are you trying to install, Mojave? Because you need a Mojave GPU already installed to install Mojave..

Lazyhound
Mar 1, 2004

The current specs are:

1x 2.8Ghz Quad Xeon
3x 8GB DDR3 ECC PC10600 1333MHz SDRAM
ATI Radeon 5770 1GB

I’m trying to install the latest build of High Sierra. It did a firmware update the first time I tried installing, so that should be up-to-date. The installer log is here.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Upgrading an existing system or starting fresh?

Did you have to do the long press on the power button until the LED flash? And did the optical drive eject and then close? If it didn't then the firmware didn't flash.

RusteJuxx
Jul 14, 2001

College Slice

asecondduck posted:

I was moving files from my stepmom's 09' MBP to her 2018 refub MBP and neither had tap-to-click enabled and it was most irritating. #Tap2Click4Lyfe

Always the first thing I turn on when setting up Macs at work. People love it.

Also, personally, I love three-finger drag more than anything for using a computer. Now that Apple hid the option away in Accessibility I worry with each OS release that it will disappear without a word and there will be no way to turn it back on without hacking the security settings or something equally crazy.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Okay, here's something out of left field for Apple..

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT210090

Apple updated the firmware on their Airport Extreme / Time Capsule 802.11ac units from v.7.7.9 to v.7.9.1.

They no longer sell it, but they're still updating the firmware.

They fixed several bugs including a possible DoS vulnerability and the firmware failing to wipe your personal data after a hard reset.

Something may be going on here... oh yeah BTW, Apple still has not released any new machines (including the 2019 rMBPs) whose WiFi needs are not totally met by the AEBS/TC 802.11ac unit.

Between this fact and this firmware update it makes me wonder if, like their plans to make a 30" monitor like they had before, Apple plans on creating another WiFi base station..

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jun 1, 2019

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
I think Apple missed the WiFi/mesh routing window. They had a chance to compete in that market, but blew it. If they wanted to jump back in they’d probably need to buy an existing company.

In dual USB iBook news I got the charger and it delivers power (although the battery is completely dead as expected). Unfortunately the Mac can’t find its system folder so I’ve got to break out my early OS X troubleshooting notes. The Chime though...that brought back an emotion.

Edit: does anyone know what the chime sound followed by what sounds like laser guns means? I’m not finding anything online. It doesn’t look like it’s recognizing a hard drive and it won’t boot up into the OS 9 startup CD I found. I’m guessing the hard drive is dead, but holy poo poo if you think current Macs are not easy to upgrade, take a look at the 42 steps to just get to the platter on a circa 2001 iBook. It’s another 42 steps to put it all back together again.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G3+12-Inch+Hard+Drive+Replacement/131

It would be 44 steps but I don’t have a WiFi card.

Krispy Wafer fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jun 1, 2019

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

What does everyone like for USB C hubs?

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

That could be a complicated question but this covers nearly everything

https://thewirecutter.com/electronics/usb-c/

Linguica
Jul 13, 2000
You're already dead

Krispy Wafer posted:

If they wanted to jump back in they’d probably need to buy an existing company.
Seems like everyone kinda sorta expected Apple to acquire Eero, since its whole shtick is being zero-configuration and Just Working, which made it especially galling when it sold out to the ole Amazon data collection vortex instead.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

If you can afford it / use it, it's a lot less hassle to get a Thunderbolt dock as they support higher resolutions at faster refresh rates.

I've had experience with the Charjen Pro and the CalDigit USB-C docks, they're pretty dependable.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Binary Badger posted:

If you can afford it / use it, it's a lot less hassle to get a Thunderbolt dock as they support higher resolutions at faster refresh rates.

I've had experience with the Charjen Pro and the CalDigit USB-C docks, they're pretty dependable.

I have the CalDigit TB3 dock and it loving rocks. And since it also provides power, I keep my power brick in my travel case.

For portable, I have an Anker that works OK. I really don't have occasion to use it much when to be honest.

https://www.amazon.com/Anker-Premium-Adapter-Ethernet-ChromeBook/dp/B071G83L1J/

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Krispy Wafer posted:

I think Apple missed the WiFi/mesh routing window. They had a chance to compete in that market, but blew it. If they wanted to jump back in they’d probably need to buy an existing company.

In dual USB iBook news I got the charger and it delivers power (although the battery is completely dead as expected). Unfortunately the Mac can’t find its system folder so I’ve got to break out my early OS X troubleshooting notes. The Chime though...that brought back an emotion.

Edit: does anyone know what the chime sound followed by what sounds like laser guns means? I’m not finding anything online. It doesn’t look like it’s recognizing a hard drive and it won’t boot up into the OS 9 startup CD I found. I’m guessing the hard drive is dead, but holy poo poo if you think current Macs are not easy to upgrade, take a look at the 42 steps to just get to the platter on a circa 2001 iBook. It’s another 42 steps to put it all back together again.

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/iBook+G3+12-Inch+Hard+Drive+Replacement/131

It would be 44 steps but I don’t have a WiFi card.

I'm ever-so-slightly expecting a "HomePod mini" that doubles as a cheaper, less impressive speaker, and a mesh router solution. Combining a Bluetooth speaker with a wifi extender sounds like a lovely idea, though. Don't they operate around the same band spectrum?

enojy fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Jun 1, 2019

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Awesome, those CalDigits look like what I need and the power trick us helpful. Build quality on a few of the other ones I saw was pretty poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Avoid USB3 hubs as Thunderbolt ops are offloaded to a separate processor whereas the USB3 ops will suck CPU cycles.

Also avoid OWC TB hubs as they fall apart after a few months.

Boy, the last few days before a WWDC keynote are excruciating. If Apple doesn't at least give us a preview of the new Mac Pro there's going to be a lot of pissed people who are finally going to throw up their arms and make the HP and Dell workstation market a fuckton richer.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2019