Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Clarste posted:

I am extremely confused by Firebird Trance. Is it an entirely separate new ability you learn at 72, or does it replace Dreadwyrm Trance after you summon Demi-Bahamut? IE: Does it share a cooldown with DWT? The tooltips don't clarify this at all.

Dreadwyrm turns into Firebird Trance and they have the same CD, there's some footage about that shows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Control Volume posted:

Looking through the scholar changes, it looks like theyre gutting fairy healing and DOTs in exchange for more instant potency, a better adlo shield, and dissipation not wasting GCDs. Oh and a chain stratagem nerf. Losing miasma and shadowflare sucks since juggling plates is half the fun of arcanist classes, bane sucked rear end for an entire expansion so who cares, and I think the idea with axing energy drain/the fairy stuff is forcing you to use dissipation and recitation more often

I can see it being fine if content requires you to spend more GCDs healing than before (especially since the fairies cant carry as hard) so I dont understand what all the doom and gloom is about

embrace =/= all fairy healing

if they were gutting fairy healing they wouldn't let you stack two whispering dawns on the party via seraph

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Vitamean posted:

pretty sure red mage ends up with a net negative number of buttons

that's the red mage way
by 7.0 it'll have veraether which will build and spend mana at once

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

There was more to the fairy nerf than just embrace my dudes

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.

Control Volume posted:

There was more to the fairy nerf than just embrace my dudes

The only SCH heals that got nerfed were Embrace, Crit Adlo, and Fey Union, plus the extra 15s on Aetherflow. All fairy skills are now instant, meaning placement isn't as important since Lily can now cast while she's moving (although them being oGCDs now does lead to annoying clipping issues). None of this will significantly change how 2.0-4.5 content is healed, and SCH healing in 5.0 is looking absurdly strong by any metric.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
Only thing I care about is that the music is amazing, and the boss fight song delivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDTaV8jTSs&t=920s

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

TheHeadSage posted:

Only thing I care about is that the music is amazing, and the boss fight song delivers: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6iDTaV8jTSs&t=920s

That slaps.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Ibblebibble posted:

That slaps.

and the regular battle theme https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cybC-bSw2U

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

Saigyouji posted:

The only SCH heals that got nerfed were Embrace, Crit Adlo, and Fey Union, plus the extra 15s on Aetherflow. All fairy skills are now instant, meaning placement isn't as important since Lily can now cast while she's moving (although them being oGCDs now does lead to annoying clipping issues). None of this will significantly change how 2.0-4.5 content is healed, and SCH healing in 5.0 is looking absurdly strong by any metric.

you can also spend fairy gauge on aoe healing now

yeah, no idea where "gutted fairy healing" is coming from.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Saigyouji posted:

I was referencing rouse (which admittedly is just more embrace nerf) and fey covenant which was a pretty big damage reduction but yeah I guess if the fairy isnt as fiddly then that opens up a lot more space for imperfect players to get more fairy heals off

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Anyways I guess they should bring miasma back then. Shadowflare can stay dead whatever

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
Honestly Rouse was kinda weird anyway once it stopped affecting Whispering Dawn. An ability that only exists to buff one specific ability in the game ends up feeling kinda pointless. (Also the Covenant loss is because every healer has partywide damage downs now.)

Still kinda stupid that Seraph literally doesn't affect WD or FI at all though.

Saigyouji fucked around with this message at 05:03 on May 30, 2019

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.

TheHeadSage posted:

That tank refuses to just sit still.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

Is the music from the Job Actions video new? There is a part of it that starts at the end of the Monk part that I swear I've heard before.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Givin posted:

Is the music from the Job Actions video new? There is a part of it that starts at the end of the Monk part that I swear I've heard before.

What, the arpeggiating bit? That's the FF scales. Unless you're talking about that it's eScape remixed.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

TheHeadSage posted:

Is that just a Halicarnussus reskin?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Seems to me like 5.x is a stopgap expansion for healers to break the SCH/AST combo from being indisputably better (we'll see on that bit) and 6.x is going to bring in a widespread healer reform with a fourth healer that will be a real shake up.

Which isn't any good for healers for the next 2.5 years really.

Veev
Oct 21, 2010

K is for kid.
A guy or gal just like you.
Dont be in such a hurry to grow up, since there's nothin' a kid can't do.

Captain Cappy posted:

Is that just a Halicarnussus reskin?

I don't know how to tell you this...

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Seems to me like 5.x is a stopgap expansion
I'm going to guess that Square aren't going to throw their hands up and say "welp, see you guys in 6.0" if the healer changes create problems.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Yeah they've definitely never done that before, multiple times

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Yeah they've definitely never done that before, multiple times
Have they? Can you show me some places where Square have just said "no, no fixes this expansion?"

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Nessus posted:

Elezen have extended life cycles so Alph and Alisaie are like 20 but haven't hit Elezen Puberty yet. I think the game timeline is very loosely 'real' time, i.e. ARR ended 4 years ago, HW ended 2 years ago, SB will have JUST ended when Shadowbringers launches.

Elezens are only slightly longer lived than the other races, like 10 years at most. They're not traditional fantasy elves.

Also any discussion about the passage of time is meaningless because it's canon that the Calamity always happened five years ago.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

I'm going to guess that Square aren't going to throw their hands up and say "welp, see you guys in 6.0" if the healer changes create problems.

They can bring back things to try and fix it but radical changes are expansion level. They've absolutely done things to try and fix glaring issues in the past.

Assize, the best ability in the game™, kept its damage though so I can dig it.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Looking at the healers changes and I'm REALLY excited for rando healers with insanely simplified dps rotations to still do zero dps.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

FactsAreUseless posted:

Have they? Can you show me some places where Square have just said "no, no fixes this expansion?"
They've been talking about revamping MCH for almost as long as its existed, but couldn't spare the resources until 5.0

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.

FactsAreUseless posted:

Dark Knight, Machinist, Monk, and Whm just this last expansion?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

6.0's new jobs are going to be Chemist, Beastmaster and Machinist.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Fister Roboto posted:

Elezens are only slightly longer lived than the other races, like 10 years at most. They're not traditional fantasy elves.

Also any discussion about the passage of time is meaningless because it's canon that the Calamity always happened five years ago.

I think time is moving, just slowly. I think it's past six years now. It's moving slow enough they won't really need to think about aging up the Levellieurs til like 10.0 though.

I still feel like we'll get a cata style "refresh ARR zones" expac at some point with a timeskip.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Clarste posted:

I am extremely confused by Firebird Trance. Is it an entirely separate new ability you learn at 72, or does it replace Dreadwyrm Trance after you summon Demi-Bahamut? IE: Does it share a cooldown with DWT? The tooltips don't clarify this at all.

It feels like FBT is gonna be in a kinda weird place until 80 because it (by all accounts) will replace DWT post-Bahamut but I don't think you can Deathflare out of it. Not sure how to feel about Phoenix being essentially a Bahamut reskin with a regen aura--couldn't they have buffed Phoenix's potencies or something? I get it's an overall damage increase since you'll in effect be able to Bahamut twice in a row but it's kinda uninspired to have Demi-Phoenix with the same actions as Demi-Bahamut. It's also a bit weird because Firebird Trance doesn't explicitly say it can't be put on a hotbar/replaces Dreadwyrm Trance, but it does seem to based on videos.

Now, here's my problem: Firebird Trance replaces Ruin III with Fountain of Fire and Outburst with Brand of Purgatory. Problem is, unless I'm missing something, Fountain of Fire is actually a potency decrease from Ruin III on a target that has both dots + Ruination. Brand of Purgatory and Fountain of Fire have less potency than Ruin IV on single target (but a big potency increase in AoE) with two dots + Ruination. I feel like Fountain of Fire and Brand of Purgatory need some more potency from the numbers we're seeing right now (which is of course possible, just commenting on the info we have now).

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

A Sometimes Food posted:

I think time is moving, just slowly. I think it's past six years now. It's moving slow enough they won't really need to think about aging up the Levellieurs til like 10.0 though.

I still feel like we'll get a cata style "refresh ARR zones" expac at some point with a timeskip.

I 100% believe this will never happen after all the horror stories from Cata's production

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
Random thought I had: How viable/utterly stupid/borderline scam would it be to set up a party finder group to teach new players how to do Savage content, and during your explanation on mechanics I tell them how important every extra bit can and how it is important to bring some decent food item along for just that extra boost that might make the difference. And I just so happen to have a bunch extra that I would be willing to part with for just slightly above market board prices* since I am such a nice teacher who wants to make sure they can beat the raid.

*Prices may have been from a point in time when they were higher, also not taking into account I might've just made them myself for way cheaper :v:

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
If we ever need to revisit Eorzea with a time skip, let them redo the zones and have some sort of phasing.

This game gives more than two shits about its story. A cata style skip would be awful.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Blockhouse posted:

I 100% believe this will never happen after all the horror stories from Cata's production

It would be even more a clusterfuck in FF14 because of how integral the story is to the game. In WOW it doesn't matter because all the quests are just bear rear end collecting.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Greader posted:

Random thought I had: How viable/utterly stupid/borderline scam would it be to set up a party finder group to teach new players how to do Savage content, and during your explanation on mechanics I tell them how important every extra bit can and how it is important to bring some decent food item along for just that extra boost that might make the difference. And I just so happen to have a bunch extra that I would be willing to part with for just slightly above market board prices* since I am such a nice teacher who wants to make sure they can beat the raid.

*Prices may have been from a point in time when they were higher, also not taking into account I might've just made them myself for way cheaper :v:
You could honestly make more money just charging gil for raiding lessons. X gil, join party, learn content. I know people will charge DPS to join them for shorter dungeon queues if they're healers/tanks. Plus less likely to get you banned.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

ARR was already the cataclysm expansion.

FZeroRacer
Apr 8, 2009

TheHeadSage posted:

The intro to the boss theme is giving me serious FF8 vibes.

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.

Greader posted:

Random thought I had: How viable/utterly stupid/borderline scam would it be to set up a party finder group to teach new players how to do Savage content, and during your explanation on mechanics I tell them how important every extra bit can and how it is important to bring some decent food item along for just that extra boost that might make the difference.

You can't trade with people in instances and anyone who has the wherewithal to do savage content is probably going to check MB prices anyway.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Greader posted:

Instead of going through all this rigmarole why not just sell the food. Also I know there are some silly and lazy people who play this game but it would only take one person actually looking at the market board to price food instead of waiting for the party leader to teleport to them (???) to personally sell them food (?????) to sort of blow the lid on this. This plan sounds deeply dumb as well as sort of pointlessly mean.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

Gruckles posted:

ARR was already the cataclysm expansion.

Lmao for real

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

SwissArmyDruid posted:

What, the arpeggiating bit? That's the FF scales. Unless you're talking about that it's eScape remixed.

Oh poo poo, I listened to it again and as soon as the paladin section came on and the lyrics started I got it. Thanks! No idea how I missed it.