Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Warmachine posted:

Don't remind me. Biscuit and Laufter deserved better.

"Oh my god, why are these boys trying to kill me!?"~ Man who specifically violently killed a girl in order to make boys angry enough to kill him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
Biscuit had to die because IBO is a tragedy, and Biscuit was literally the only thing stopping Mika and Orga's tragic flaw from destroying them.

He got exactly what he deserved: being the single most important character in the show. :v:

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Kanos posted:

I don't think Io is actually crazy in the totally-brain-broken-serial-killer sense like Heero or Mikazuki at all. Mika and Heero are coldly detached and near-emotionless lizard people in what should be moments of legitimate emotional stress for normal people; Io reacts in a completely understandable but assholish way, which is pretty realistic for a person in his situation.

I wouldn't call Heero's a serial killer mindset. He's just a really sad kid who doesn't think there's a better way to fix things until Relena grabs him by the face and shows him how absolutely wrong he is. He has been trained to do violence, taught to think it's the only way to change the status quo, and forced to ignore how obviously hurt he is. It's sad, if a tad cliche.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Shinjobi posted:

I wouldn't call Heero's a serial killer mindset. He's just a really sad kid who doesn't think there's a better way to fix things until Relena grabs him by the face and shows him how absolutely wrong he is. He has been trained to do violence, taught to think it's the only way to change the status quo, and forced to ignore how obviously hurt he is. It's sad, if a tad cliche.

It's less that Heero is a violent serial killer more that Heero(and Mikazuki) are both broken to the point where they don't interact with emotions in what we would regard as normal human ways due to their past trauma. Io isn't really like that because he's reacting in a perfectly normal, if unhealthy, way to his trauma.

Omnicrom
Aug 3, 2007
Snorlax Afficionado

My favorite Mika moment is when he's fighting the Brewers dude in the Gusion and starts to wonder what he's feeling because it's weird, then the guy yells about how Mikazuki enjoys killing people. Mikazuki actually seems a little confused for a moment before getting to like "Oh, is this what Enjoyment is like? Well whatever, you're a good person to kill" and does so.

It's one of those moments that gets across just how alien Mikazuki is to the broader human experience. IBO had some really hosed up and compelling characters, and I admire it for that. There aren't a lot of shows where the sociopathic child soldier who probably does enjoy killing people can be a hero, or if that's too strong a word then at least be solidly on the more moral side of the equation.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Omnicrom posted:

My favorite Mika moment is when he's fighting the Brewers dude in the Gusion and starts to wonder what he's feeling because it's weird, then the guy yells about how Mikazuki enjoys killing people. Mikazuki actually seems a little confused for a moment before getting to like "Oh, is this what Enjoyment is like? Well whatever, you're a good person to kill" and does so.

It's one of those moments that gets across just how alien Mikazuki is to the broader human experience. IBO had some really hosed up and compelling characters, and I admire it for that. There aren't a lot of shows where the sociopathic child soldier who probably does enjoy killing people can be a hero, or if that's too strong a word then at least be solidly on the more moral side of the equation.

Also there's absolutely zero effort to redeem him. The show just acknowledges Mikazuki is a broken human being and any attempt to change him just ends in the person doing it realizing that he just can't process what they're trying to get across.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also there's absolutely zero effort to redeem him. The show just acknowledges Mikazuki is a broken human being and any attempt to change him just ends in the person doing it realizing that he just can't process what they're trying to get across.

Hell, his character development goes exactly the opposite way. He starts with a genuine wish to stop fighting and start a farm, and then he's physically broken enough to just accept he'll be a weapon of war forever. Not resigned, even, he's happy about it because he's literally incapable of thinking of how a peaceful life would go anyways.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

I think the big irony of both is that neither is able to be the person who tells the other "no." Which is unfortunately really critical to friendship. It was why Biscuit was such an important character. He was closed to both Mika and Orga and could straight-up tell them no when nobody else would.

i expect the srw version will just have amuro or kamille or whoever be like "so uh I know you kill lots of dudes and win a ton of fights but listen: the whole child soldier thing doesn't work out great"

Blaze Dragon posted:

Hell, his character development goes exactly the opposite way. He starts with a genuine wish to stop fighting and start a farm, and then he's physically broken enough to just accept he'll be a weapon of war forever. Not resigned, even, he's happy about it because he's literally incapable of thinking of how a peaceful life would go anyways.

he's still not beyond saving at that point but he and orga just won't loving stop egging each-other on and welp

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I imagine an srw would require punching both Mika and Orga and explaining to them to chill and have some ice cream for a few rounds.

That or Biscuit returns somehow.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Shinjobi posted:

I imagine an srw would require punching both Mika and Orga and explaining to them to chill and have some ice cream for a few rounds.

Or Mika meets Setsuna and gets MUCH WORSE.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

One day we’ll get an SRW that throws Bellri Zenam at Tekkadan. He’ll set them straight.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And also probably teach them some mad dancing moves tbh.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Shinjobi posted:

Yeah, Biscuit would 100% be a saveable character. Or they could go the SRW MX route and have him just live automatically while another series' tragic death gets played out in full, player-controlled agony.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Plot twist: Mika meets Prince of Darkness era Akito, and is the one who gets Akito out of his emo funk.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Raxivace posted:

One day we’ll get an SRW that throws Bellri Zenam at Tekkadan. He’ll set them straight.

Now that would be quite a sight to see.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Raxivace posted:

he'll either fix everything or tekkadan will immediately murder him, 50/50

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

i saw this earlier today and was like "setsuna this is possibly the worst idea you have ever had"

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Yinlock posted:

i saw this earlier today and was like "setsuna this is possibly the worst idea you have ever had"

I would honestly look forward to how SRW would do 00 and IBO; it feels like Setsuna's start in Krugis and the incident with the 0 Gundam could tie into some aspect of the IBO setting quite well.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!

Merilan posted:

I would honestly look forward to how SRW would do 00 and IBO; it feels like Setsuna's start in Krugis and the incident with the 0 Gundam could tie into some aspect of the IBO setting quite well.

Well if Bael is the first king of the Ars Goetia, who is the zeroth?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Logicblade posted:

Well if Bael is the first king of the Ars Goetia, who is the zeroth?

Solomon beats Goetia.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VppVivYAHtY

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

Yinlock posted:

It’s one child soldier extending a symbol of peace to another child soldier. I know it’s just promo material but there’s a lot going on there.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

for reals though that one was my favorite beyond poster because the composition is just amazing, with the reflection on the weapon and everything

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Blaze Dragon posted:

Something that kind of surprised me on reviewing the final episodes was seeing Mika reading a book on farming just before he asks Kudelia to take care of Atra if he can't. That he was trying to be a father to his son and do something for Atra... and then he couldn't.

(The first time he met Atra is also a great "Yep, that's Mika" moment. She's on the run, starving to death, and sees him eating a sandwich. Comes up to him for food. His response?

"gently caress you. This is my food."

Then he walks in, spends his first payday on buying Atra a meal, gets her a job... but no, that sandwich is still his, she can't have it. His logic makes perfect sense to him, but it's definitely a different approach than most people would take.)

And yeah. I'm thinking Biscuit's likely to be savable in SRW somehow. I'd put Carta as the other likely secret unit for IBO season 1. Season 2's trickier to figure out, though, given the structure of the sides.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Savable McGillis?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chiasaur11 posted:

Something that kind of surprised me on reviewing the final episodes was seeing Mika reading a book on farming just before he asks Kudelia to take care of Atra if he can't. That he was trying to be a father to his son and do something for Atra... and then he couldn't.

(The first time he met Atra is also a great "Yep, that's Mika" moment. She's on the run, starving to death, and sees him eating a sandwich. Comes up to him for food. His response?

Then he walks in, spends his first payday on buying Atra a meal, gets her a job... but no, that sandwich is still his, she can't have it. His logic makes perfect sense to him, but it's definitely a different approach than most people would take.)

And yeah. I'm thinking Biscuit's likely to be savable in SRW somehow. I'd put Carta as the other likely secret unit for IBO season 1. Season 2's trickier to figure out, though, given the structure of the sides.

Feels like McGillis would be the most challenging character to get out alive, although the sheer number of gifted amateur therapists in the SRW cast might help. Rustal would totally be up for brokering peace with an equally powerful enemy faction, and where he goes, so does Julietta.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth Walrus posted:

Feels like McGillis would be the most challenging character to get out alive, although the sheer number of gifted amateur therapists in the SRW cast might help. Rustal would totally be up for brokering peace with an equally powerful enemy faction, and where he goes, so does Julietta.

Yeah, depending on the plot, I can see Julieta and Gaelio as freebies. They're both heroic, honorable ace pilots who survive their original show, and Rustal, while pretty war-crime happy, is hilariously less evil than most villains in SRW.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

chiasaur11 posted:

Yeah, depending on the plot, I can see Julieta and Gaelio as freebies. They're both heroic, honorable ace pilots who survive their original show, and Rustal, while pretty war-crime happy, is hilariously less evil than most villains in SRW.

Rustal wasn't really evil so much as just horrifyingly competent and pragmatic in executing his objectives.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

chiasaur11 posted:

Honestly I figure SRW will probably only use Season 1 and indeed will probably only use IBO once or twice, as like with AGE and G-Reco it's just a series that is a huge pain in the rear end for them to do much of anything with

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Blaze Dragon posted:

Barbatos's series 2 weapons should have been giant farming tools, just to drive home the tragedy. Akihiro got to have the world's biggest hedge shears, imagine how much fun Mika would have had with a giant spade and fork.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

Barbatos's series 2 weapons should have been giant farming tools, just to drive home the tragedy. Akihiro got to have the world's biggest hedge shears, imagine how much fun Mika would have had with a giant spade and fork.

I feel how it actually goes works better. After his breakthrough at the end of the first season, he regresses step by step from a capable warrior into a demonic brute with an exaggerated version of the loadout he starts the show with. And then he regresses further into a warped, broken echo of the Hashmal for Julietta to put down the exact same way he once did.

Logicblade
Aug 13, 2014

Festival with your real* little sister!
They might do it once with a heavy focus and give you an IF Route where you choose King of Mars or gently caress the Monarchy routes.

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Darth Walrus posted:

I feel how it actually goes works better. After his breakthrough at the end of the first season, he regresses step by step from a capable warrior into a demonic brute with an exaggerated version of the loadout he starts the show with. And then he regresses further into a warped, broken echo of the Hashmal for Julietta to put down the exact same way he once did.

She really didn't though, she just waited for Mika to collapse from massive Dainsleif-induced blood loss.

Edit: I will never be shifted from my 'The Arianrhod are all cunts and should be strung up by their feet' platform

jackhunter64 fucked around with this message at 11:22 on May 30, 2019

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

jackhunter64 posted:

She really didn't though, she just waited for Mika to collapse from massive Dainsleif-induced blood loss.

Edit: I will never be shifted from my 'The Arianrhod are all cunts and should be strung up by their feet' platform

And then she finishes him off with the exact same decapitating upward thrust Mika used on the Hashmal. After an entire fight in which the Lupus Rex has been visually framed as a hunched, bird-like creature with a deadly lashing tail.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Pureauthor posted:

Savable McGillis?

why would you want to save him though

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Yinlock posted:

Because he is also a broken product of his environment?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Yinlock posted:

Bael is kind of cool. Plus, it has literally two attacks, so it's perfect for modern SRW.

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Kurieg posted:

Because he is also a broken product of his environment?

nah mcgillis is explicitly just a shithead

he'd probably be the IF route boss

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Yinlock posted:

nah mcgillis is explicitly just a shithead

he'd probably be the IF route boss

It's not explicit at all? Instead, the main impression we seem to be supposed to get is that he stopped growing up when he ended up in that brothel. Hence his strange but apparently sincere attachment to Almiria (the only other person he knows around his mental age) and his tendency to think in storybook logic.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Mcgillis will be recruitable the 2nd time they do the IBO story but only for the last 2 stages of the game.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
If not Mcgillis, maybe Gaelio. We need to be able to field a team of only Chars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

HitTheTargets posted:

If not Mcgillis, maybe Gaelio. We need to be able to field a team of only Chars.

Does it count when you're deliberately dressing as a Char in a vision-quest to understand one by becoming him, but never quite get it?