Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Enos Cabell posted:

I've only cast to my phone so far, but Beat Saber doesn't support it at all yet.

Yeah, phone casting seems relatively lag free.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

rafikki posted:

Yeah, phone casting seems relatively lag free.

is lag really a huge concern when casting? I've never felt that it hindered the "party mode" experience. Or is this for streaming purposes where you are dual streaming the cast and the player (via external cam) and need them to sync for mixed reality or something?

When I was introduced to beat saber on psvr, I noticed that he person playing the beatsaber seemed to be ahead of what we were seeing on the TV, and that was direct feed.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

It's kinda nice to have someone's movements match up with what's happening on the screen, but I don't know if it's a deal breaker.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Kilazar posted:

*edit*
Elite HOTAS vs controller. Sure HOTAS is full immersion, but don't let the hardcores get to you about "it's the only way to play". In all my research that seems to be a very common response. After some fiddling I have gotten a really good setup on my xbox one controller that doesn't leave many functions out, and I think I have open ones still for when I find something I over looked. I find I am perfectly immersed never putting my controller down. I do not however think I could get as many functions mapped on the Touch controllers as the xbox though. Hit me up if you want to chat keybinds and stick layout on a controller when you decide to dive in :D

Also all that being said, if you end up sticking with the game for more than a month, that is when it might be time to consider an upgrade to a HOTAS from a controller.

Of course HOTAS isnt the only way to play, just the most immersive. its nice to have your hands where your characters hands are, and have the sticks do the same thing that your sticks are.

That said, if you're already in for the cost of a VR PC, a HMD and the full-fat copy of Elite, just spend the extra $55 https://www.amazon.com/Thrustmaster-T-Flight-Hotas-Flight-Stick-PC/dp/B001CXYMFS

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Kilazar posted:

You will have to make a choice on if you want two installs though for elite, as I don't think you can play it flat from the oculus store. So keep your steam install for non vr. I'm sure there is a way to make the steam VR versions of elite launch with only the oculus software and not ever engage the steam vr piece. but I have not found it yet. And just installing it from the oculus store made this much less of a mess for me in the end.

Back at release there was a well-hidden option in the Oculus store to run it flat, but I don't know whether that option survived the store's many redesigns since then.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

NRVNQSR posted:

Back at release there was a well-hidden option in the Oculus store to run it flat, but I don't know whether that option survived the store's many redesigns since then.

Yeah, you can choose to run it in Desktop or VR mode from the Oculus launcher. It's never been hidden really.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Moss improves vastly if you treat it like a room-scale experience and actually walk around the dioramas, looking for secrets hidden behind walls and so on. I don't know why they tell you to play it seated, because it's a much more engaging experience if you don't. I wasn't really feeling the gameplay until I got off my rear end, walked to the other side of a wall and found a hidden scroll! I have no idea how you are even supposed to find those things if you stay seated.

SimonChris fucked around with this message at 15:29 on May 30, 2019

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

You can also launch the Steam version in OculusVR mode only if you launch the Elite Launcher from the installed directory instead of launching it through Steam. Hell you don't even need Steam running to start Elite.

Why They removed the ability to choose from when you launch in Steam, I'll never know.

Make sure you check out our VR Browser HelloV to have a web browser you can use in Elite.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
You might want to get yourself an SSL cert there buddy

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Controller is fine in elite however there is a lot of time where you don't need your hands on the controls so having a Hotas is nice for that.

Plus it's way easier and fun to fly full speed into a station with a Hotas. Also, doing things like pulling into a landing spot and having to turn around is way easier with the hotas as you can easily flip and turn at the same time.

In regards to quest, Pavlov is awesome. Not having a cord hold you down really helps with that game.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Cojawfee posted:

You might want to get yourself an SSL cert there buddy

Yea, I poked our web guy about that as I just saw that too.

If anyone needs any help with V, I'm always in our Discord to assist.

Giovanni0109
Apr 28, 2013

Grimey Drawer

EdEddnEddy posted:

If anyone needs any help with V, I'm always in our Discord to assist.

Will it work in a Pimax 5k+ headset?

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

EdEddnEddy posted:

You can also launch the Steam version in OculusVR mode only if you launch the Elite Launcher from the installed directory instead of launching it through Steam. Hell you don't even need Steam running to start Elite.

Why They removed the ability to choose from when you launch in Steam, I'll never know.

Make sure you check out our VR Browser HelloV to have a web browser you can use in Elite.

With Oculus can't I just pin my desktop browser to my app

Harminoff posted:

Controller is fine in elite however there is a lot of time where you don't need your hands on the controls so having a Hotas is nice for that.

Plus it's way easier and fun to fly full speed into a station with a Hotas. Also, doing things like pulling into a landing spot and having to turn around is way easier with the hotas as you can easily flip and turn at the same time.

In regards to quest, Pavlov is awesome. Not having a cord hold you down really helps with that game.

Controller can flip and turn at the same time though... That is not exclusive to HOTAS. Controller has 2 x's and 2 y's to work with for pitch/yaw/rudder and lats. Sure that leaves 2 lats off the axis, but you can bind the left and right lat to triggers when landing gear is down. and if you really need forward and reverse lat those can bind to the bumpers in place of throttle up/down since you are just landing anyway.

That being said, if you don't already own an xbox controller and have to buy one, Get the entry level HOTAS. And sure you have already spent a ton of bank on VR, but you don't have to be fully irresponsible and go "well poo poo I already spent 400 whats another 40" Put that 40 in savings or towards some debt. If you don't have debt then by all means spend away!

Kilazar fucked around with this message at 15:42 on May 30, 2019

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Kilazar posted:

With Oculus can't I just pin my desktop browser to my app?

Yes

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

EdEddnEddy posted:

Just wanted to say that after coming back to vr its good to see you're still going, can't wait to see how its looking these days.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Giovanni0109 posted:

Will it work in a Pimax 5k+ headset?

It should, but right now we're having a hell of a time keeping up with SteamVR. It works for some, not for others. We're still trying to get a handle on it but it's worth a try.

Chubby Henparty posted:

Just wanted to say that after coming back to vr its good to see you're still going, can't wait to see how its looking these days.

Yea our team is small and we do what we can in our spare time. We do have a major redesign coming soon which should help with a lot of stuff going forward.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002

Putting zip files in your git repo... buncha noobs.

The people that use phpbb sites must be learning github exists now.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

EdEddnEddy posted:

It should, but right now we're having a hell of a time keeping up with SteamVR. It works for some, not for others. We're still trying to get a handle on it but it's worth a try.

Yea our team is small and we do what we can in our spare time. We do have a major redesign coming soon which should help with a lot of stuff going forward.

I'm looking forward to this new version, especially if I make the leap to index!

Tom Guycot
Oct 15, 2008

Chief of Governors

Kilazar posted:

You will have to make a choice on if you want two installs though for elite, as I don't think you can play it flat from the oculus store. So keep your steam install for non vr. I'm sure there is a way to make the steam VR versions of elite launch with only the oculus software and not ever engage the steam vr piece. but I have not found it yet. And just installing it from the oculus store made this much less of a mess for me in the end.

Yeah, as others have said you can launch desktop mode from the desktop app. Just right click on the launch icon for elite and select the desktop option.

Kilazar
Mar 23, 2010

Tom Guycot posted:

Yeah, as others have said you can launch desktop mode from the desktop app. Just right click on the launch icon for elite and select the desktop option.

Cool, I just installed the oculus version last night and had not had a chance to dig around.

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Got my rift S today! Sometimes when I put it on my controllers are stuck in space directly in front of me. They'll turn but they won't move from that spot.. What gives?

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Got my rift S today! Sometimes when I put it on my controllers are stuck in space directly in front of me. They'll turn but they won't move from that spot.. What gives?

This is when the headset is unable to track your controllers, they can still send their own data for turning, but it cannot "see" your controllers. Is there something reflective in the background or are you holding them extremely close to the headset?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Unboxed my new Quest today and it smells like HOT CHEMICAL DEATH.

Like new car smell, if someone vomited in the car at the dealership.

I sure hope this fades quickly; I can barely stand to have this thing near my face :(

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy

Martytoof posted:

Unboxed my new Quest today and it smells like HOT CHEMICAL DEATH.

Like new car smell, if someone vomited in the car at the dealership.

I sure hope this fades quickly; I can barely stand to have this thing near my face :(

Yes! I was the only one reporting this, and everyone else in the thread acted like I was crazy. It's been a week and it still reeks though not quite as much.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That's weird, there is like no odor to mine at all.

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
Mine reeked pretty strongly the first day. After that it was fine.
Also, got my official quest travel case in yesterday, it’s perfect! Fits my 10k battery in and can probably squeeze a second one in too

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Maybe you're just more susceptible to smells. I bought these rubber wheel chocks from Amazon and a bunch of reviews were pretty much "don't open this up indoors, they stink so bad." I opened them up and they smelled like tire rubber, and the smell went away after a day.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Mine had an odor too but it faded.

yergacheffe
Jan 22, 2007
Whaler on the moon.

Cross post from the free games thread, but Obduction is free on GoG for the next day or so. It's a game like Myst and has a VR mode. Other than that, I don't know anything else about it.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

yergacheffe posted:

Cross post from the free games thread, but Obduction is free on GoG for the next day or so. It's a game like Myst and has a VR mode. Other than that, I don't know anything else about it.
It's real fun if you like myst in VR. I played it from start to finish in VR. It used to have problems running but then they patched it and all the problems went away!

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

yergacheffe posted:

I've only played it non-VR but I felt like it was a pretty good one of those. My wife and I sat and played through it together when it was new. It didn't feel overly obtuse like it's ancestors often did.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Cojawfee posted:

Manufacturing isn't magic.
Could have delayed the NDA drop.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Also I'd assume it was done to build more pre-release hype. If not let developers show off what the Knuckles will actually do in existing games.
Pre-release hype for a device that sold out within a few hours, for months to come?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I don't get why you're so obsessed with why they dropped the NDA. Do you not want people to find out about the Index?

Ghetto SuperCzar
Feb 20, 2005

Alright ya'll.

Super important question.

Whats the best VR experience while high?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mining in Elite:Dangerous

e: w/ Bash Brothers Experience playing on a pinned Netflix window in your cockpit

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Accounting

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Ghetto SuperCzar posted:

Alright ya'll.

Super important question.

Whats the best VR experience while high?

Good question. Let's find out!

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Thumper, Rez Infinite, Cosmic Trip

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

If Rez Infinite gets a Quest port I will never stop playing it and probably die from malnutrition. They will find my corpse strapped to Quest plugged into the wall.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
I got my Quest today. Never experienced any kind of vr before and did first steps and had a freakout. This poo poo is surreal.