Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD

Loanarn posted:

Is it just my imagination or does the headlights and grill opening make this car look like its yelling "Wheeeee!" as its going around the turn?

Half the reason why I love my ND

looks like it constantly has this devious grin on its face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

doogle posted:

I tried a set of 2nd gen CTS-V wheels on my SS (VF sedan, not Camaro), but they just didn't do it for me. I have a '15 so the stock wheels aren't that bad, if it was a '16 or '17 I would have swapped them for something else already.

They also clear V2 brakes!

Man I like those cars, but man I hate that chromed fender "vent". Tacky as gently caress.

Oh, that looks much better blacked out.

Loanarn posted:

Is it just my imagination or does the headlights and grill opening make this car look like its yelling "Wheeeee!" as its going around the turn?

Of course it does.

gvibes
Jan 18, 2010

Leading us to the promised land (i.e., one tournament win in five years)
Was the e63 wagon only 35k? Or was that after a trade in? They look to be more like 65k+ for that vintage.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

gvibes posted:

Was the e63 wagon only 35k? Or was that after a trade in? They look to be more like 65k+ for that vintage.

Private party, no trade, but I got a hell of a deal for what it is.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
Where do you find these deals. I want an E63 wagon. :dance:

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Lovely stuff, also it makes me mad because my car has been stuck with busted front calipers for about a month because I was stupid enough to buy my front brake kit from a one man band operation.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Tremek posted:

Private party, no trade, but I got a hell of a deal for what it is.

WHAT THE FUUUUCK!

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

BraveUlysses posted:

WHAT THE FUUUUCK!

For avoidance of all doubt, it was a lot more than $35k, but below what I'd say is average market asking price for these cars.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Blink twice if your wife is looking over your shoulder.
Do you think you got a discount cuz it was heavily modded? I feel like the stock ones already command pretty good resale value.

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

kimbo305 posted:

Blink twice if your wife is looking over your shoulder.
Do you think you got a discount cuz it was heavily modded? I feel like the stock ones already command pretty good resale value.

Haha, she knows what we bought it at and is cool with it. I think it was a combination of that the seller had it marketed relatively poorly - was only on Autotrader, not on CL or cars.com - he didn't have the VIN or Carfax in the listing, etc etc. Combined with the mods which most assuredly aren't CARB-compliant, and considering a lot of people won't fly for a car, I think it was a tough CA sell.

I negotiated with the seller a bit and we agreed on a price lower than asking, sent him a deposit within 24 hours of us first speaking about it, and confirmed I'd be down within the week to get it. I think he was ready to have it gone as he told me he had a decent amount of interest but no one could come through to get the deal done, and also that he was taking the funds and putting them into his new R8 twin-turbo build.

The worth of the mods are obviously highly debatable; I'd never spend what he spent on these mods, but I'm probably the right (very) narrow segment that would want and appreciate what's on the car. For what it's worth on the drive back I had the cargo area packed with the stock parts that he also gave me with the car, so while I don't see ever putting it back to stock, I have most/all what would need to go back on if necessary.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

track day bro! posted:

Lovely stuff, also it makes me mad because my car has been stuck with busted front calipers for about a month because I was stupid enough to buy my front brake kit from a one man band operation.

That sucks :( Did you go with the Wilwood kit?

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

track day bro! posted:

I can't imagine that he makes his own calipers. Surely they're sourced from somewhere else.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

BlackMK4 posted:

That sucks :( Did you go with the Wilwood kit?

Not yet, I managed to buy a Turbo that I'd wanted for years just got it fitted alongside a sports cat and while setting up the boost controller found one of the calipers pissing fluid out of one of the piston seals. My initial thoughts were to just go back to the standard brakes for a bit and then just go for the Willwood kit in the winter. Then I realised it was gonna cost me a load because I stupidly sold off all the standard stuff years ago.So getting these rebuilt, using em for a few more trackdays and then selling them off working would be a better idea.

Darchangel posted:

I can't imagine that he makes his own calipers. Surely they're sourced from somewhere else.

I've honestly got no clue, his website hasn't been updated for like 10 years and he mainly does stuff for turbo starlets and E30's. The caliper uses a willwood type pad anyway so I'm assuming it's knocked off from that but I can't find any information on it. The discs he uses are the same dimensions from another car, but they have a different pcd so I think he's just getting these from a supplier who will drill them with 5x114 instead.

Even then the best way to get hold of him was through e-mail and it took about 5 days for any sort of response.

As soon as winter hits I'll take the car off the road and get the full willwood kit. If I have a problem with that I can go to multiple suppliers for parts, or even just buy a new caliper if needs be. Even the discs are available from a few different companies.

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Will someone please direct me to the nearest shopping mall? I need to attempt some really hard parking.

I got the Eezi-Awn brand K9 roof rack system installed yesterday. They rate it for up to 1000 pounds of static weight/500 pounds dynamic weight. It is a pretty bitchin modular system that has channels and grooves all over for installing various components. Nice thing is the exclusive importer/distributor for Eezi-Awn in the US is 15 miles from me. Since they don't have to ship it they offer install for free :woop:. I dropped off the truck and they gave me a loaner to drive back to work which was nice. It was a TRD supercharged 1st gen Tundra that was hilariously quick and had 230K miles. They had it done in a few hours. My roof tent will be showing up at the shop some time today so there is a good chance I will have that picked up today as well. That is me telling you to prepare to get more photos of my silly 20 year old truck.

Next steps: paint the front grill, an awning on the side, then an ARB front bumper which will be in the next month or two. I have been documenting my repairs/maintenance/detailing/mods and have been toying with the idea of starting my own thread. Once I have a healthy bank of content I will :justpost:

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Somewhat Heroic posted:

Will someone please direct me to the nearest shopping mall? I need to attempt some really hard parking.

I got the Eezi-Awn brand K9 roof rack system installed yesterday. They rate it for up to 1000 pounds of static weight/500 pounds dynamic weight. It is a pretty bitchin modular system that has channels and grooves all over for installing various components. Nice thing is the exclusive importer/distributor for Eezi-Awn in the US is 15 miles from me. Since they don't have to ship it they offer install for free :woop:. I dropped off the truck and they gave me a loaner to drive back to work which was nice. It was a TRD supercharged 1st gen Tundra that was hilariously quick and had 230K miles. They had it done in a few hours. My roof tent will be showing up at the shop some time today so there is a good chance I will have that picked up today as well. That is me telling you to prepare to get more photos of my silly 20 year old truck.

Next steps: paint the front grill, an awning on the side, then an ARB front bumper which will be in the next month or two. I have been documenting my repairs/maintenance/detailing/mods and have been toying with the idea of starting my own thread. Once I have a healthy bank of content I will :justpost:

This is extremely My poo poo

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

Somewhat Heroic posted:

What does dynamic and static weight mean? Like you can have 500 lbs of people moving around the tent but 1000 if it's just loaded?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Charles posted:

What does dynamic and static weight mean? Like you can have 500 lbs of people moving around the tent but 1000 if it's just loaded?

It means static like parked and not moving vs. driving with weight on the top (with forces like braking/turning/accelerating)

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MetaJew posted:

Idk how to take car photos

Those are the same wheels I use for the snow tires on my Accord hybrid

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!
I feel attacked.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

You should.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
RPF1s seem like a kind of "expensive" winter wheel set. Also, gently caress you, do a burnout, etc.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

Somewhat Heroic posted:

That is me telling you to prepare to get more photos of my silly 20 year old truck.

Silly nothing. Those things are awesome.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

MetaJew posted:

RPF1s seem like a kind of "expensive" winter wheel set. Also, gently caress you, do a burnout, etc.

Yeah I don't always make decisions that most people would consider "fiscally responsible" or "rational" or "not moronic."

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorery my mistake

bird with big dick fucked around with this message at 00:22 on May 30, 2019

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Oops that was supposed to be a pic of the wheels how do I edit my post

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Is this GBS?

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Mods?

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Sorry I'm sure I have a better pic somewhere but I can't find them so I just went out in the garage and took a new one

fingerling
Mar 7, 2010
Got my Aristo last Thursday, as stock as can be. 80k km, had to put the factory suspension back in to pass compliance, so Saturday was dedicated to putting them back in.

Apparently it was two-tone when I bought it?

Had some friends come over, gave me a hand to replace them nice and early Saturday morning (12pm).
Gardening gloves coming into play:

Front end went together alright, rears... not so much. Last nut on the strut tower dropped somewhere behind the fuel tank. Great. Spent 45 minutes trying to squeeze it out, only to run out of time and energy.

Next day my friend bought around his extendable magnet (no pictures I'm afraid), after effectively removing the tank behind the seat, found it in the middle at the bottom of a crevasse. :smith:

Only to find the driver's seat hadn't enjoyed something, and I now had roughly 4 inches of leg-room driving. I am not a short or small person.

Coilovers in, out for a drive. Holy poo poo I have never had coilovers be so comfortable before, though I will concede the factory rims and tyres definitely help.

It is of course at this point I realise I haven't taken a good photo of it yet.. here are some (overly saturated or whatever) photos a friend took.

After a bunch of single turbo 1J engines, the NON-VVTi 2J is a different beast. First thought are it sounds like a bloody 4.5 litre petrol Land Cruiser, haha. I'm over the moon: I have a twin-turbo couch on wheels.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Those flexible magnets are super handy. Anyways, looking good.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Most folks in my circles consider the RPF1 to be a budget performance wheel. Its pretty much the bottom of the range.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I guess it's time to really find out how much boost a non-vvti 2J can take on standard internals.... Is the legend really true??

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

um excuse me posted:

Most folks in my circles consider the RPF1 to be a budget performance wheel. Its pretty much the bottom of the range.

You hang out with a bunch of snobs or something?

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Track bois with much more money than I. Make spending money look easy. And I guess expensive wheels are easy to justify when you burn $1000 of tire at a track in a day.

um excuse me fucked around with this message at 13:44 on May 30, 2019

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

Yeah they are pretty much the cheapest flow forged wheels in the states but they are brilliant

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Nothing wrong with getting some bang for your buck wheels. They look nice, aren’t terribly expensive and perform well. I’ve had two sets; liked the last ones so much I bought them again.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
I mean, RPF1s are pretty affordable wheels, but for snow tires I thought people typically ran steelies or something you might not care about hitting a curb or rock or something else hiding under the snow.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Bape Culture posted:

Yeah they are pretty much the cheapest flow forged wheels in the states but they are brilliant

nah there's a few other flow formed options like konig that are even cheaper than rpf1

TheFonz
Aug 3, 2002

<3

MetaJew posted:

I mean, RPF1s are pretty affordable wheels, but for snow tires I thought people typically ran steelies or something you might not care about hitting a curb or rock or something else hiding under the snow.

They don't make 20" steelies :( I wish they did, I hate my winter wheels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I couldn't find cheap steelies to fit the MS6 so I just bought a second set of stock wheels to run my winters.