Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

TheWevel posted:

I would be surprised if Nissan existed in 3-5 years.

They will die but keep moving through sheer momentum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goober Peas
Jun 30, 2007

Check out my 'Vette, bro

Major motion...from Nissan

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

TheWevel posted:

look if mitsu has hung on as long as they have...nissan is probably ok

thesurlyspringKAA
Jul 8, 2005
Nissan will survive as long as they can poo poo out 50 million rogues a year

Something Offal
Jan 12, 2018

by FactsAreUseless
You guys calling Nissan's death knells are probably underestimating fleet sales in the US. Pretty sure rental car companies are the largest single source of new auto sales in the US and rental lots are absolutely full of depressing lowest-trim Sentras and Rogues. They are by far the most common make I see regularly at rental lots when I travel for business.

Something Offal fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 29, 2019

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

Something Offal posted:

You guys calling Nissan's death knells are probably underestimating fleet sales in the US. Pretty sure rental car companies are the largest single source of new auto sales in the US and rental lots are absolutely full of depressing lowest-trim Sentras and Rogues. They are by far the most common make I see regularly at rental lots when I travel for business.

Rental sales in the US are about 2 million units (out of ~16.X million total). But they're a low margin dumping ground for OEMs. poo poo ends up there because nobody else wants to buy it. There are a couple of exceptions of OEMs who are trying to raise brand profile with consumers and are pushing units in to fleets - VW did this in the early 2010s, and Mazda is doing it now. But the vast majority of stuff is there because it's cheap aging inventory that no dealer wanted to allocate.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nissan sells a shitload of vehicles globally and are, despite not making anything that's particularly good, generally also competent. They aren't going anywhere, they have a market niche that's not desirable from the points of view of those in this thread, but it's a very real and important niche in the real world.

And the Supra has seriously grown on me as I've seen more of it, especially in video. It helps learning that all the fake vents are actually fully functional real vents which are covered with easily removed panels since the car doesn't really need all that extra cooling in stock form on the street, since black plastic inserts aside they look good.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I agree Nissan is circling the wagons and retrenching to Japan, but it's stupid. At this point they need a partner more than ever.

I can't help but think that Nissan's long--term plan, good, bad, or otherwise, was to pull out of the Alliance with Mitsubishi in tow as the partner.

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Wheeee posted:

Nissan sells a shitload of vehicles globally and are, despite not making anything that's particularly good, generally also competent. They aren't going anywhere, they have a market niche that's not desirable from the points of view of those in this thread, but it's a very real and important niche in the real world.

And the Supra has seriously grown on me as I've seen more of it, especially in video. It helps learning that all the fake vents are actually fully functional real vents which are covered with easily removed panels since the car doesn't really need all that extra cooling in stock form on the street, since black plastic inserts aside they look good.

This is from two weeks ago: https://www.autonews.com/automakers-suppliers/ceo-nissan-performance-hitting-rock-bottom

And I should note that was pre-FCA/Renault merger announcement.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
The GR Supra is getting some keyboard warrior hate for being “just a rebadged bmw” but in reality, regardless of where it’s components come from or who stuck their badge on the bodywork, the thing is loving fast for $60k.

People are saying they would rather have an M2 Comp. Sure, for another $30k I guess it might be a better car but it isn’t any faster.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
There are $60k M2s out there, aren't there?

Sits on Pilster
Oct 12, 2004
I like to wear bras on my ass while I masturbate?

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Rental sales in the US are about 2 million units (out of ~16.X million total). But they're a low margin dumping ground for OEMs. poo poo ends up there because nobody else wants to buy it. There are a couple of exceptions of OEMs who are trying to raise brand profile with consumers and are pushing units in to fleets - VW did this in the early 2010s, and Mazda is doing it now. But the vast majority of stuff is there because it's cheap aging inventory that no dealer wanted to allocate.

Well that explains all the Mitsubishi Eclipse Crosses that suddenly appeared in rental fleets in the last couple months

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye
Yeah the M2 comp is 58,900 with 6MT. It’s another 2900 for DCT. Supra is 50k-53k with the launch edition at 55k.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

TheWevel posted:

Counterpoint: Mitsubishi is still around. I think.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Modus Man posted:

The GR Supra is getting some keyboard warrior hate for being “just a rebadged bmw” but in reality, regardless of where it’s components come from or who stuck their badge on the bodywork, the thing is loving fast for $60k.

People are saying they would rather have an M2 Comp. Sure, for another $30k I guess it might be a better car but it isn’t any faster.

where are the 90k m2 comps at

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!

TheWevel posted:

The Rogue was the #2 best selling suv in the United States last year and isI selling even faster now. They're not going anywhere.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
There is a huge market for everyone not purchasing upscale vehicles and you're watching manufacutrers pick which side they want to cater to. Nissan is firmly entrenched in the lower tier.

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

Nissan is dreadfully boring but make "fine" cheap cars in most segments, and are still huge globally and in the US. They are a big dumb corporation with bad management but they aren't going anywhere any time soon.

Rightfully so, no one in AI cares about any of their products because they don't lead any class on anything except price, especially for subprime financing. It's poo poo-tier business but there's a whoooooole lot of people in that segment.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

EnergizerFellow posted:

I can't help but think that Nissan's long--term plan, good, bad, or otherwise, was to pull out of the Alliance with Mitsubishi in tow as the partner.

At least there were some nominal synergies between Nissan and Renault. I never understood the Mitsubishi thing.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nissan seem to be on a winner in Australia with their SUVs and Navara ute.

Same with Mitsubishi with their SUVs and Triton ute. In fact Mitsubishi outsold Ford in Australia last year

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

At least there were some nominal synergies between Nissan and Renault. I never understood the Mitsubishi thing.

Mitsubishi alone might have been just allowed to die/be bought by Geely, but Nissan-Mitsubishi is certainly too big for the Japanese government to let fail.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat

BraveUlysses posted:

where are the 90k m2 comps at

Oops!!! I must have been thinking of M3 comp pricing. Looks like brand new m2 comps are going for low 60s. In that case, I’d rather have the m2, too.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Nissan is probably the best compromise between "cheap" and "reliable" for most people, and their trucks are a good deal since they're simple, robust, and dirt fuckin cheap

Person A looks at a Sentra interior and is aghast at the sea of ugly tupperware plastic, person B looks at a Sentra interior and thinks heck yea this will be easy to clean

As Nero Danced
Sep 3, 2009

Alright, let's do this
I think in the Nissan minivan, the second and third row seats are options so it undercuts the competition on base price. That probably makes it a viable choice for a business work vehicle as well.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Who the gently caress cares about Nissan

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

As Nero Danced posted:

I think in the Nissan minivan, the second and third row seats are options so it undercuts the competition on base price. That probably makes it a viable choice for a business work vehicle as well.

nissan no longer sells a minivan

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

fridge corn posted:

Who the gently caress cares about Nissan

Nice corvette.

DonkeyHotay
Jun 6, 2005

Elmnt80 posted:

Nice corvette.

*said with complete sincerity*

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

BraveUlysses posted:

nissan no longer sells a minivan

the NV3500 is a work van but you can configure it with passenger benches

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Wheeee posted:

Nissan is probably the best compromise between "cheap" and "reliable" for most people, and their trucks are a good deal since they're simple, robust, and dirt fuckin cheap

Person A looks at a Sentra interior and is aghast at the sea of ugly tupperware plastic, person B looks at a Sentra interior and thinks heck yea this will be easy to clean

If you're looking at a Sentra, you can't get decent financing terms on a Corolla, Civic, Cruze, Focus, or Golf.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

DonkeyHotay posted:

*said with complete sincerity*

:thejoke:

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

I've been driving a 2004 Twingo and it is not a great car by many metrics, but you do get a way better interior space to size ratio than modern cars, and the visibility is incredible.I can turn my head and see out of the sides and back!

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

pointsofdata posted:

not a great car by many metrics, but you do get a way better interior space to size ratio than modern cars, and the visibility is incredible.I can turn my head and see out of the sides and back!

Some of that visibility and carved out space comes from packaging that doesn't maximize safety. I dunno if NCAP has changed much since 2003, but it only scored 3 stars back then.
Video looks like it would do pretty poorly in small overlap.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

kimbo305 posted:

Some of that visibility and carved out space comes from packaging that doesn't maximize safety. I dunno if NCAP has changed much since 2003, but it only scored 3 stars back then.
Video looks like it would do pretty poorly in small overlap.

This is like the least AI post I've seen in a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

This is like the least AI post I've seen in a while.

Hey, don't forget that I drove a 1974 Lotus Europa in the last couple years.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Any of you insiders know when the 2020 Explorers will hit the lots? Probably late June/early July I would guess. I bought my MY17 in July 2016, but sometimes a new model comes out a little later.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

skipdogg posted:

Any of you insiders know when the 2020 Explorers will hit the lots? Probably late June/early July I would guess. I bought my MY17 in July 2016, but sometimes a new model comes out a little later.

They're already in transit. Dealers already have vins of the first ones they're getting. mostly $60k platinums and STs though.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
Is official pricing info out on the Hybrids? I saw a headline saying the cheapest hybrid would be over $50k, but it was from a questionable source.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Powershift posted:

They're already in transit. Dealers already have vins of the first ones they're getting. mostly $60k platinums and STs though.

Cool. Local dealer websites haven't loaded any of them yet. Sometimes I can see in transit vehicles on their website. Really want to go test drive an ST, but I'll probably wait for the 2021 model so they can shake the bugs out of everything. Still have to wrap my head around the ST pricing though. MSRP on my 2017 X-Sport was 54,5 and I paid quite a bit less than that after rebates and discounts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Powershift posted:

If that's what an explorer costs now, people can officially and forever stop whining about the fact there exists a $50k Golf.