Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Jose posted:

Lol who could have foreseen a right wing government doing that. Insane he won an even bigger majority and things are going to become extremely grim

but enough about trump 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
https://twitter.com/sunraysunray/status/1132654318434304000?s=19

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

lol at Congress

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/05/24/modis-message-was-simple-hindus-first/

quote:

In Ranchi, a 24-year-old job seeker told me he hated “all politicians except one.” I didn’t even need to ask who. He said it wasn’t Modi’s fault that he remains jobless even though he has a degree in software engineering. “What can he do?” said the young man, a member of the traditionally discriminated-against Dalit caste. He refused to believe that unemployment hit a 45-year high under Modi’s regime. “That’s not true,” he said. He also said he was sure that fewer jobs were available in the pre-Modi government led by the Indian National Congress party. “Not true,” I said. He said a man has to blame himself if he can’t find a job, not the government. “Not everyone is eligible for a job,” he said. Then he left.

materialism is dead

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 30 days!)

supporting the Hindu nationalist no matter what, even when you’re a member of the Hindu doo doo caste

Zeroisanumber
Oct 23, 2010

Nap Ghost

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

supporting the Hindu nationalist no matter what, even when you’re a member of the Hindu doo doo caste

India needs more Naxalites.

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

Zeroisanumber posted:

India needs more Naxalites.

hope they're ready to do some recruiting

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Impressed by Prime Minister Narendra Modi’s triumph in the recent parliamentary election, a Muslim woman named her newborn son after him, sparking a variety of reactions among political groups and people online.

A woman from Uttar Pradesh, a northern Indian state with a large Muslim population, filed papers to have her newborn son registered as Narendra Damodardas Modi on Friday, local media reported. The child was born on May 23, the same day the final votes were counted and the mother, Mainaz Begum, heard the news of Modi’s crushing victory over the opposition.

“I want my son to do good work like Modi and become as successful as him,” the woman told ANI.

Top City Homo
Oct 15, 2014

Ramrod XTreme

The lumpenprole Congress

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

"they treat me better than they treat the muslims, also it's the best system we have"

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

is india more hosed than brazil? at least some people are starting to sour on Bolso
this child will absolutely be spared from roving gangs of saffron-robed goons in 10 years

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

sorry for the double post but this needs its own post:

what the gently caress, Indian-Americans? well over 90% of them support BJP's re-election

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Now I can't go to any Indian restaurant without knowing I'm probably giving money to a fascist. I guess you could say the same for any restaurant, though. :shrug:

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

All expats are bad, why would Indian ones be any better?

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Now I can't go to any Indian restaurant without knowing I'm probably giving money to a fascist. I guess you could say the same for any restaurant, though. :shrug:

no ethical consumption under capitalism

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Most of the people who have the money or skills to emigrate to wealthier nations and start a business are the same sorts of people who believe in pulling oneself up by one's own bootstraps and that sort of Conservative stuff.

It's the same with Filipinos in the US and Duterte.

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Go to Pakistani restaurants instead.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shima Honnou posted:

Go to Pakistani restaurants instead.

Salaam, a good suggestion, brother. I dunno if there's any Pakistani restaurants in northwest Arkansas though. Pretty much the only time I've been in a Pakistani joint was in Los Angeles when my brother got married.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

no ethical consumption etc.

Xelkelvos posted:

Most of the people who have the money or skills to emigrate to wealthier nations and start a business are the same sorts of people who believe in pulling oneself up by one's own bootstraps and that sort of Conservative stuff.

i know that expats and immigrants have a major disconnect between the politics of their old country and their new one, but it's still stark with indian-americans because they're the most dem-friendly Asian electorate. although considering how many of them trend in white collar professions i shouldn't be

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

get that OUT of my face posted:

no ethical consumption etc.

i know that expats and immigrants have a major disconnect between the politics of their old country and their new one, but it's still stark with indian-americans because they're the most dem-friendly Asian electorate. although considering how many of them trend in white collar professions i shouldn't be

Tulsi Gabbard likes Modi and she's literally a Democrat.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Xelkelvos posted:

gently caress yeah pinoy pride

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Tulsi Gabbard likes Modi and she's literally a Democrat.
what i'm getting at is that many indian-americans would never vote for an american version of Modi but they love the one in the old country

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

what i'm getting at is that many indian-americans would never vote for an american version of Modi but they love the one in the old country

Yeah I get it. I'm guessing that the disconnect arises for several reasons. That national politics of the home country are "exceptional" to America's, or that to be an American you need to observe our "constitutional values" like disestablishmentarianism but that doesn't apply to the home country. Or that having a strong man in power in the home country who will make the nation strong is good, but having a strong man in power in the US is bad because I guess America is already strong?

Nationalist sentiment just ends up throwing all logic out the window because it works on peoples' sense of pride and power, but if they start thinking about what it means for themselves as "free people" and American citizens then it doesn't sound so great.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Scratch a liberal and a fascist bleeds.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Being mildly religious as well as a SBO or tech worker will do an ideological number on any demographic

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i say swears online posted:

Being mildly religious as well as a SBO or tech worker will do an ideological number on any demographic
hey that's not fair. a lot of indian-americans are also doctors, who definitely don't tend to be politically shortsighted

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Many _______-Americans are from the comprador/landlord class in the old country. America's immigration/asylum policy post-1965 creates a never ending stream of native informants who then turn around and justify US foreign policy and intervention overseas.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

Many _______-Americans are from the comprador/landlord class in the old country. America's immigration/asylum policy post-1965 creates a never ending stream of native informants who then turn around and justify US foreign policy and intervention overseas.

emptyquote

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

CAPS LOCK BROKEN posted:

lol post-1965, try after the mid-1920s

one good example of that immigration policy in the mid-60s: the American government actively clamored for Jamaican nurses after their independence. high skilled or get out, baby

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 18:56 on May 30, 2019

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

hey that's not fair. a lot of indian-americans are also doctors, who definitely don't tend to be politically shortsighted

Please tell me you aren't serious.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

The Dipshit posted:

i'm not, i'm being extremely sarcastic. doctors are just as haughty as small business owners and engineers

get that OUT of my face has issued a correction as of 19:47 on May 30, 2019

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

It was pretty obvious too

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

The Dipshit posted:

lol

some sort of fish
Apr 25, 2011

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Yeah I get it. I'm guessing that the disconnect arises for several reasons. That national politics of the home country are "exceptional" to America's, or that to be an American you need to observe our "constitutional values" like disestablishmentarianism but that doesn't apply to the home country. Or that having a strong man in power in the home country who will make the nation strong is good, but having a strong man in power in the US is bad because I guess America is already strong?

Nationalist sentiment just ends up throwing all logic out the window because it works on peoples' sense of pride and power, but if they start thinking about what it means for themselves as "free people" and American citizens then it doesn't sound so great.
imo its not that complicated of a reason.

the partition was an absolutely loving gigantic clusterfuck. every indian over the age of 40 was either directly affected by it, or their parents/immediate relatives were. so every single nonmuslim indian of that age grew up with the overwhelming sentiment of hating the brits, hating the muslims, and hating the brits again. the ones that moved over are basically stuck in a snapshot of that timeframe: an unprepared, incompetent, and corrupt government trying to manage massive amounts of sectarian violence. Modi's platform is almost tailor made to appeal to this view, which is (maybe unsurprisingly) much stronger in people who left. whenever ive talked to a 'modi supporter' the conversation has inevitably turned into "well sure all of his policies suck and he is a horrible conman, but that's every politician. i wouldn't vote for him but im glad hes sticking it to the muslims". unless they're republicans (they also go by their preferred euphemism "independents" now), in which case its full on #jaihind #nukepakistan

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

Cos the american version of modi would stick it to them, and for no other reason.

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

speaking of, congrats to donald trump for stripping india of its special trade status

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011

i say swears online posted:

speaking of, congrats to donald trump for stripping india of its special trade status

modi is a huge loving pussy.

before the elections, this happened, because he didn't want to piss off his lumpen small business owner voter base i guess: https://www.pymnts.com/news/international/2018/modi-ecommerce-india-amazon/

quote:

Under new rules imposed by the Indian government, eCommerce companies like Walmart-owned Flipkart Group and Amazon, will no longer be able to sell merchandise from companies in which they have an equity interest, or form exclusive agreements with sellers.

which naturally pissed off the imperial center: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1PI1S6

and now the elections are over and he's going to back down! wow! almost as if his nationalism is a complete sham and he's going to let the US colonize India: https://www.ft.com/content/7f7bf9f8-8524-11e9-97ea-05ac2431f453

quote:

The Indian commerce ministry said at the weekend that it wanted to “find a mutually acceptable way forward” and had offered concessions to US demands after the Trump administration said India would lose its favoured trade status.

mila kunis
Jun 10, 2011
The trade dispute has opened a rift between Mr Trump and Mr Modi at a time when the countries have been working closely together to counter China’s influence in the Indo-Pacific.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

The Dipshit posted:

today you have earned your username.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

mila kunis posted:

modi is a huge loving pussy.

before the elections, this happened, because he didn't want to piss off his lumpen small business owner voter base i guess: https://www.pymnts.com/news/international/2018/modi-ecommerce-india-amazon/

which naturally pissed off the imperial center: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...s-idUSKCN1PI1S6

and now the elections are over and he's going to back down! wow! almost as if his nationalism is a complete sham and he's going to let the US colonize India: https://www.ft.com/content/7f7bf9f8-8524-11e9-97ea-05ac2431f453

india's left and right have always been protectionist and i think that's interesting. there really isn't a modern libertarian movement even among the small business owner classes