Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

Now it's loving ignoring vibrate mode too. What the hell??

I haven't had any issues with my Pixel 3.

Do you have an app that might be overriding those settings, by any chance? Maybe one that you downloaded or updated recently?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Phy posted:

Stupid question, does Google keep text transcripts or backups of phone conversations through your cell service? Normally I think Google are creepy as poo poo but I just got out of a call with someone who was either baked out of his gourd or trying to get fired and I'd like to have something better than my own memory.

Not to get him fired, he's gonna do that all on his own.

Pretty sure that'd be illegal in a lot of places. It keeps a call log via XML that can be restored, but that's it afaik.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
Trip report of my Nexus 5X saga:

So I factory-reset it last Friday. Everything went fine and it did indeed feel a bit snappier for certain things. Spotify + Google maps in the car still a hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Today however it rebooted out of the blue while playing music in the car. When I got home I saw that it was stuck in the dreaded infinite boot loop.

I followed online articles how to reset it and patch it with updated images. At the moment I'm looking at the drat thing trying to boot for the last 30 minutes (the animated shapes). So, I guess I'm in the market now for a new phone. I hate them all.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Pretty much every newish phone is better than a 5X... Check out Pixel 3a?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

incogneato posted:

I haven't had any issues with my Pixel 3.

Do you have an app that might be overriding those settings, by any chance? Maybe one that you downloaded or updated recently?

I did restart it, and the only thing I have controlling volume besides the built-in DND settings is Tasker, and that just puts it into vibrate when I'm at work. Tasker hasn't gotten any updates lately.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Volguus posted:

So I factory-reset it last Friday. Everything went fine and it did indeed feel a bit snappier for certain things. Spotify + Google maps in the car still a hit or miss. Sometimes works, sometimes doesn't. Today however it rebooted out of the blue while playing music in the car. When I got home I saw that it was stuck in the dreaded infinite boot loop.

I followed online articles how to reset it and patch it with updated images. At the moment I'm looking at the drat thing trying to boot for the last 30 minutes (the animated shapes). So, I guess I'm in the market now for a new phone. I hate them all.

You got more than 3 years out of it, you're doing just fine. A Pixel 3a should last you another 3 or 4 years no problem.

incogneato
Jun 4, 2007

Zoom! Swish! Bang!

hooah posted:

I did restart it, and the only thing I have controlling volume besides the built-in DND settings is Tasker, and that just puts it into vibrate when I'm at work. Tasker hasn't gotten any updates lately.

I just know some apps that you may not expect have permissions to turn on and off DND. I have a timer app that turns it on by default when starting a timer, for example. It's a long shot, but maybe you have an app that you don't think of as managing DND that is being strange.

Although with a restart you'd think it'd fix itself. Have you already checked if you have scheduled automatic DND rules in your DND settings?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Volguus posted:

Really you got a lot of years out of it like mentioned above, and it was a bad generation of chip that was in all phones that used it. (The Snapdragon 810/808 chips).

Since then phones have still had their quirks, but at least post the Pixel 1's with their Mic issue, most phones usually if they last the first few months fine, they usually last until you either destroy it, or the battery finally gives up.

Like others are saying, pick up a Pixel 3a and get another 3+ years out of a nicely priced midrange phone with an excellent camera.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

incogneato posted:

I just know some apps that you may not expect have permissions to turn on and off DND. I have a timer app that turns it on by default when starting a timer, for example. It's a long shot, but maybe you have an app that you don't think of as managing DND that is being strange.

Although with a restart you'd think it'd fix itself. Have you already checked if you have scheduled automatic DND rules in your DND settings?

Nothing unusual has permission to modify DND or any of the other "super" permissions (device admin, etc.). I do have my rules set, and haven't changed them in a while.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
A Pixel 4 render courtesy of a screen protector manufacturer:

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
"Not from this distance, your Honour."

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

Incessant Excess posted:

Finally we're free from the tyranny of knowing what our signal strength is!

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness
Thank you Google, for not offering a true FaceID competitor yet still putting two cameras on the front of your phone.

Surprise Giraffe
Apr 30, 2007
1 Lunar Road
Moon crater
The Moon
I dont know why they do it. What is actually wrong with the popup camera/rear screen designs from huawei et al. Has anyone heard actual users complaining about them?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Surprise Giraffe posted:

I dont know why they do it. What is actually wrong with the popup camera/rear screen designs from huawei et al. Has anyone heard actual users complaining about them?

Durability concerns that every techtuber parrots are one that I've heard. For chronic selfie-takers, I can see that maybe being an issue. Take it to the beach and get sand in the mechanism, and you're boned.

But for the average user who takes a selfie maybe once or twice a month when they manage to find time to go on a date night and are also not simultaneously exhausted, nah, I don't think durability should be a concern. More likely to drop your phone and crack the touchscreen layer IMO, but I'm just guessing here.

IP rating is another one that's often mentioned, or in more general terms water-resistance. But Dave2D did a video where he opened the 1+7+'s camera underwater and it seemed fine.

I guess, who is using their phones underwater regularly anyway? I read things on reddit and even in this thread about people showering with their phones, and I'm kinda like what the gently caress just take your drat shower you don't need to be plugged into instagram or whatever the gently caress every waking second of your life sigh I think I'm an old it finally happened

Shrimp or Shrimps fucked around with this message at 12:20 on May 30, 2019

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

The mainstream brands aren't going to do a pop-up camera since you have to sacrifice too much in terms of weight and thickness to do so. Notch/hole punch are going to be the standard until they get optics working well for under screen cameras.

WattsvilleBlues
Jan 25, 2005

Every demon wants his pound of flesh
So another problem I had yesterday with my Pixel 3 is quite annoying. I had taken a selfie for reasons I won't get into, and immediately deleted it, because I look like a goon. I then closed the camera app.

Later, I had to take a picture using the rear camera - I double-pressed the power button to load up the camera app, and lo and behold, my picture from earlier instantly loaded up and sat there, frozen for 5 seconds, while the camera app sorted its poo poo out.

I grow increasingly annoyed by this Pixel.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Incessant Excess posted:

I "love" how they still have the drat functional midscreen notch of only showing 4 notifications despite having an actual notch on the right.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

hooah posted:

Nothing unusual has permission to modify DND or any of the other "super" permissions (device admin, etc.). I do have my rules set, and haven't changed them in a while.

I may have discovered another piece of information: notification sounds seem to be playing twice. So maybe what's going on is when it's in DND or vibrate, the first sound is correctly silenced/vibrates, but the second one comes through?

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Google might know what I'm about to have for lunch but we all know they dont know a loving lick about design. But my jesus would they stop the awful two tone design on the back of the phones? I know they need some glass for poo poo to work but there has to be another way.

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

The positive I see is there are still Front Facing Speakers at least.

Where are the putting the front ambient sensors and such with these new hole punch designs? Are they just making it an optical sensor now?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Durability concerns that every techtuber parrots are one that I've heard. For chronic selfie-takers, I can see that maybe being an issue. Take it to the beach and get sand in the mechanism, and you're boned.

But for the average user who takes a selfie maybe once or twice a month when they manage to find time to go on a date night and are also not simultaneously exhausted, nah, I don't think durability should be a concern. More likely to drop your phone and crack the touchscreen layer IMO, but I'm just guessing here.

IP rating is another one that's often mentioned, or in more general terms water-resistance. But Dave2D did a video where he opened the 1+7+'s camera underwater and it seemed fine.

I guess, who is using their phones underwater regularly anyway? I read things on reddit and even in this thread about people showering with their phones, and I'm kinda like what the gently caress just take your drat shower you don't need to be plugged into instagram or whatever the gently caress every waking second of your life sigh I think I'm an old it finally happened

Nah, you're just spouting weird opinions. I'm old, and can totally understand real issues with it. Durability or having the motor break seems extremely likely to me, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with being the average phone user who wants to take a lot of selfies. As well, waterproofing actually *is* a big deal. Whether it's literally living in a rainforest where it's nice that I don't have to worry about my phone getting wet, or spills at a bar, or many other things, waterproofing is a requirement.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Water proofing is for protection from water damage, not shower selfies. Pools, spilled drinks, puddles, thunderstorms, clumsy idiot children, etc.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
As a person that has dropped their phone in the toilet while drunk and is painfully aware of the almost universal practice of putting your phone in a bag of rice, I don't know how you would think water resistance isn't a pretty huge QoL improvement

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I used a Nokia 6 inside a zip bag a whole month during military exercises in a rainy as gently caress zone in the middle of nowhere in Romania 2 years ago. It was kinda funny and cheap but drat effective.

Getting waterproof phones are still a better solution but when I had to do the zip bag thing it reminded me of this thread's grip tape instead of using a case.

As someone that has yet to break a phone since 1999 (Mitsubishi Trium) and 17 years in the ARMY. You either go super cheap or go with the most durable stuff you can find (I always go with that).

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

EdEddnEddy posted:

Where are the putting the front ambient sensors and such with these new hole punch designs? Are they just making it an optical sensor now?

Under the display, they are only like a pixel or so in size.

https://forums.oneplus.com/threads/ambient-light-sensor-for-adaptive-brightness.1043086/

Really the only thing keeping under display front facing cameras being a thing is getting the optics and clarity sorted. It already works in theory since optical fingerprint systems are a thing, it's just getting that image quality up for something not pressed against the screen.

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

codo27 posted:

I'd like to know what the actual root of all this is, the true cause. Wonder will it ever come out. I mean this is insane the way everyone is jumping ship

Sorry to bring this back to the front but, reading between the lines, someone put a bug in Trump's ear about this because of Huawei's 5G modem outperforming Qualcomm. Of course he went about it in the most hamfisted, stupid way, but this solves the problem without Qualcomm needing to engineer a new product to compete.

They're notoriously litigious, and this backchannel explains why Huawei is banned but not like, Xiaomi or something.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

is it possible to configure the following:

when i raise the volume on my pixel 2 xl so music or silly videos on instagram/twitter play with sound, i don't want texts and fb messenger notifications to ring.

seems like no combination of slider configurations has helped and i'm thinking i have a fundamentally poor understanding of how volume controls work on android. the volume slider is for apps to make sound/noise and the bell icon is just for phone calls. if true, i'd love to know if there's a way i can make the bell icon work for calls and notifications and the volume slider strictly for in-app audio. i'm guessing it's all considered the same thing to the OS.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

ShoogaSlim posted:

when i raise the volume on my pixel 2 xl so music or silly videos on instagram/twitter play with sound, i don't want texts and fb messenger notifications to ring.

seems like no combination of slider configurations has helped and i'm thinking i have a fundamentally poor understanding of how volume controls work on android. the volume slider is for apps to make sound/noise and the bell icon is just for phone calls. if true, i'd love to know if there's a way i can make the bell icon work for calls and notifications and the volume slider strictly for in-app audio. i'm guessing it's all considered the same thing to the OS.

I've brought this up before, but didn't find any way to separate media volume from notification volume. It sucks.

Desk Lamp
Jun 30, 2014

hooah posted:

I've brought this up before, but didn't find any way to separate media volume from notification volume. It sucks.

It's definitely possible, since you can do it on Galaxy phones.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Desk Lamp posted:

Yeah that was annoying on my first Pixel. Samsung at least does that correctly

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Incessant Excess posted:

Asus doesn't have a lot of supporters in this thread as far as I'm aware but Zenfone 6 reviews seem to be pretty positive:

https://www.gsmarena.com/asus_zenfone_6-review-1937p6.php

Top end SoC, stock-ish Android, Android R promised, microSD, headphone jack, huge battery. Biggest downsides seem to be the middling display, lack of any kind of water resistance and it being Asus, might be a compelling proposition for some.

The Androidpolice review is now up as well and they like it a good deal, say that people for whom the camera isn't the most important feature should consider it over a 3a XL:

https://www.androidpolice.com/2019/05/30/asus-zenfone-6-review/

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

I've been kinda disconnected from reviews, what's the overall opinion about the Nokia 9 Pureview? I love my Nokia 7 Plus but the silly looking cameras reminded me of the good ol' Nokia designs and who knows if I pull the trigger on it after the summer.

Incessant Excess
Aug 15, 2005

Cause of glitch:
Pretentiousness

Guillermus posted:

I've been kinda disconnected from reviews, what's the overall opinion about the Nokia 9 Pureview? I love my Nokia 7 Plus but the silly looking cameras reminded me of the good ol' Nokia designs and who knows if I pull the trigger on it after the summer.

The large amount of cameras don't translate into a significantly better photography experience and it's kinda overpriced for the other features it offers, the under-display fingerprint reader is also supposedly one of the worst available right now.

ShoogaSlim
May 22, 2001

YOU ARE THE DUMBEST MEATHEAD IDIOT ON THE PLANET, STOP FUCKING POSTING

hooah posted:

well poo poo

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

DangerZoneDelux posted:

Yeah that was annoying on my first Pixel. Samsung at least does that correctly

Unless they just patched it out you can definitely split the volumes on a Pixel, it's in the sound options and I thought they made it on by default recently.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Inspector_666 posted:

Unless they just patched it out you can definitely split the volumes on a Pixel, it's in the sound options and I thought they made it on by default recently.

How do you do it? Considering two of us can't figure it out it doesn't seem like it's obvious.

Sir Bobert Fishbone
Jan 16, 2006

Beebort
Isn't notification volume determined by the Ring Volume slider?

EdEddnEddy
Apr 5, 2012

Sir Bobert Fishbone posted:

Isn't notification volume determined by the Ring Volume slider?

That's what I thought it was...

However Mine is 99.9% of the time on Vibrate only as I have a Pebble for any notification I need to see otherwise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vagrancy
Oct 15, 2005
Master of procrastination

ShoogaSlim posted:

seems like no combination of slider configurations has helped and i'm thinking i have a fundamentally poor understanding of how volume controls work on android. the volume slider is for apps to make sound/noise and the bell icon is just for phone calls. if true,

quote:

i'd love to know if there's a way i can make the bell icon work for calls and notifications and the volume slider strictly for in-app audio.

This is how it already works by design. If a notification is able to make noise while Vibrate/Silent is on its because its because its purposely using media volume instead of notification volume like its supposed to. Facebook has been guilty of this in the past, maybe you're in some weird broken a/b test?

Seems like the Android Q background restrictions would finally kill the ability to do this.

Desk Lamp posted:

Google devices merge Notification and Ring volume into one (the lore being that calls are just another type of notification). Samsung having a separate Notification slider doesn't help at all if its being outright ignored.