Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dalael
Oct 14, 2014
Hello. Yep, I still think Atlantis is Bolivia, yep, I'm still a giant idiot, yep, I'm still a huge racist. Some things never change!

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Oh, I get it, you're just dense :lol:

Eh, checks out, I guess.

Sorry if i didnt notice your posts. Clearly I dont care half as much about you as you do about me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Opferwurst posted:

The Soviet Union didn't really give a poo poo about stuff like that. Industrial and nuclear accidents were very frequent and most of them were covered up. You often only learned that you were exposed to dangerous materials after connected friends told you or you suspected after seeing that certain people started taking sudden vacations with their kids far away from the town. People drinking phenol contaminated tap water or get exposed to radiation after a release of nuclear material from the NPP is just how poo poo worked. Nobody cared.

Yes, this happened in Pripyat. The "in the know" party members began bailing on the town way before evacuation was even a serious question

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
How the gently caress did the writer of the Scary Movie and Hangover sequels end up writing this masterpiece?

Talk about a turnaround.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

theblackw0lf posted:

How the gently caress did the writer of the Scary Movie and Hangover sequels end up writing this masterpiece?

Talk about a turnaround.

Excellent source material?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Scary Movie and Hangover did exactly what they were supposed to do. Like them or don't, they were made with a clear goal and did what they set out to do.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

theblackw0lf posted:

Talk about a turnaround.

very carefully

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

theblackw0lf posted:

Talk about a turnaround.

There's a difference between a good story and a good storyteller.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

CainFortea posted:

Scary Movie and Hangover did exactly what they were supposed to do. Like them or don't, they were made with a clear goal and did what they set out to do.

If the goal of Scary Movie was to make a comedy he failed.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011
You could probably make a captivating middle school play out of the events

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Despera posted:

You could probably make a captivating middle school play out of the events

I think it would be really easy to gently caress up the story. Mazin said in the podcast that it was a really thin line between showing what happened and coming of as gratuitous for example.

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
I think Despera was talking about Scary Movie

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
Or it could be that, and get this guys cuz I know it's gonna blow your minds that it's possible...

...he just got better as a writer? :shrug:

I mean, the research was thorough, the podcast shows he put a great deal of thought into each scene, he limited the number of episodes to make sure each is needed and not chewing up airtime and he personally went to Chernobyl himself to get a feeling of the place now after all these years. Whatever screwups he did before now...those things sound like stuff that a writer that cares a great deal about what he's writing would do.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 20:12 on May 30, 2019

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

theblackw0lf posted:

Talk about a turnaround.

https://twitter.com/JasonDFW/status/1133838618437574658

he's got experience in watching disasters unfold

El Jeffe
Dec 24, 2009

Actual footage of the roof cleanup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ti-WdTF2Qr8&t=298s

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

CrazyLoon posted:

I mean, the research was thorough, the podcast shows he put a great deal of thought into each scene, he limited the number of episodes to make sure each is needed and not chewing up airtime and he personally went to Chernobyl himself to get a feeling of the place now after all these years. Whatever screwups he did before now...those things sound like stuff that a writer that cares a great deal about what he's writing would do.

it's not even necessarily a screwup to write a bad film that makes scads of money. screenwriters have bills to pay too, and you can spend lots of times just doing work to build your career while writing the script you really want to write. think about how many actors are out there in bad roles before they get something that nets them an oscar

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

:perfect:

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

luxury handset posted:

it's not even necessarily a screwup to write a bad film that makes scads of money. screenwriters have bills to pay too, and you can spend lots of times just doing work to build your career while writing the script you really want to write. think about how many actors are out there in bad roles before they get something that nets them an oscar

Plus, the more experience you have netting studios money, the weightier your arguments get when you have to defend writing decisions to them.

kaesarsosei
Nov 7, 2012

Make sure to watch this. It’s actually insane how close it looks like the show.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

kaesarsosei posted:

Make sure to watch this. It’s actually insane how close it looks like the show.

Yea, they even got the overcast sky down. It's pretty fuckin good.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

The miner bit was hilarious, throught the late night crisis would be the miners refusing to work or deciding to start mass brawl with the other teams.

But nope they decided to strip down to work in the mining tunnel.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

etalian posted:

The miner bit was hilarious, throught the late night crisis would be the miners refusing to work or deciding to start mass brawl with the other teams.

Am I correct in that it turned out the mine underneath the reactor for the cooling system was never needed?

That's a lot of people irradiated for nothing.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Tab8715 posted:

Am I correct in that it turned out the mine underneath the reactor for the cooling system was never needed?

They didn't think it was for nothing. No one at the time thought it was for nothing, it was to avert millions of people getting irradiated. Just because it later turned out to not be needed doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea at the time.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Tab8715 posted:

It was unknown whether or not the corium would manage to melt through the concrete base pad. It turned out not to, but if it had it would have been bad enough to make the risk worth it.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

CainFortea posted:

They didn't think it was for nothing. No one at the time thought it was for nothing, it was to avert millions of people getting irradiated. Just because it later turned out to not be needed doesn't mean it wasn't a good idea at the time.

They just wanted to have nude miner guys with silly caps working in a radioactive tunnel.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

drunkill posted:

A neat fanmade trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RW9NTBmb4U

It is a bit more mainstream but still pretty good.

Yea, this was really good. I liked it.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

CainFortea posted:

Good point, I didn't think of it that way.

FiftySeven
Jan 1, 2006

I WON THE BETTING POOL ON TESSAS THIRD STUPID VOTE AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS HALF-ASSED TITLE

Slippery Tilde
So all the way back on page 1, I posted that I was going to give this a watch and I finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes tonight. It is really loving good TV and everything but holy poo poo I was not prepared for how this would make me feel. To cut a long story short, I was in Tokyo when the Fukushima incident happened and was there for 2 weeks after the earthquake basically waiting for information about how bad the incident had gotten to be translated into the English news, all the while having the foreign news saying talking about people in Japan were potentially extremely hosed. I remember vividly, the feeling of Anxiety on one of the worst days in particular as I was taking the train into Shinjuku, looking at the city skyline and thinking, "Is this entire city already contaminated and we dont even know it".

Episode 2 of this show really brought that feeling back strongly, watching the scientists talking about Iodine tablets and shutting the windows tight in some vain hope that it would help somehow. Luckily for everyone in that area, the news was being sensationalized but people at the time obviously taking it seriously, were literally starting to evacuate to Osaka from Tokyo out of fear, panic buying Iodine tablets. I really wasn't prepared watching this for all those feelings to just come flooding back.

I am definitely going to carry on watching but this is definitely very brutal viewing.

Xanderkish
Aug 10, 2011

Hello!

Opferwurst posted:

The Soviet Union didn't really give a poo poo about stuff like that. Industrial and nuclear accidents were very frequent and most of them were covered up.

This is the stuff that I always think about when people discuss the Soviet Union. Since they didn't have anything remotely resembling freedom of the press, there was a lot of stuff that they just suppressed, from accidents to large-scale events like they did/attempted with Chernobyl to freaking people. So when we talk about the Soviet Union, there's a lot about them we don't even know.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Courtesy of a kind soul in the GBS thread.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

FiftySeven posted:

So all the way back on page 1, I posted that I was going to give this a watch and I finally got round to watching the first 2 episodes tonight. It is really loving good TV and everything but holy poo poo I was not prepared for how this would make me feel. To cut a long story short, I was in Tokyo when the Fukushima incident happened and was there for 2 weeks after the earthquake basically waiting for information about how bad the incident had gotten to be translated into the English news, all the while having the foreign news saying talking about people in Japan were potentially extremely hosed. I remember vividly, the feeling of Anxiety on one of the worst days in particular as I was taking the train into Shinjuku, looking at the city skyline and thinking, "Is this entire city already contaminated and we dont even know it".

Episode 2 of this show really brought that feeling back strongly, watching the scientists talking about Iodine tablets and shutting the windows tight in some vain hope that it would help somehow. Luckily for everyone in that area, the news was being sensationalized but people at the time obviously taking it seriously, were literally starting to evacuate to Osaka from Tokyo out of fear, panic buying Iodine tablets. I really wasn't prepared watching this for all those feelings to just come flooding back.

I am definitely going to carry on watching but this is definitely very brutal viewing.

Strap the gently caress in, rides not over yet.

Dick Jones
Jun 20, 2002

Number 2 Guy at OCP

BIG HEADLINE posted:

That's because if the spicy rock was giving out 12,000 Roentgen they'd need a whole other box for it, as 12k = ~112 Sv.

Were the graphite chunks really giving out 112 Sv? I knew it was fatally high levels but yikes.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Dick Jones posted:

Were the graphite chunks really giving out 112 Sv? I knew it was fatally high levels but yikes.

It's theoretically possible given that they were pieces of the core ejected during a period of high criticality.

The first reading of the Elephant's Foot was ~10,000 Roentgen a few weeks after the disaster, so it's quite possible the freshly ejected "Spicy Rocks" were 12,000 or higher.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The thing that always weirds me out isn't that the other reactors at the complex stayed active for so long, it's that the last one operational was reactor 3. Like, from photos of the site it looks like it's in the same loving building as the destroyed reactor 4. I'd have figured it would have had enough problems and damage from the disaster to be taken offline immediately, much less hang in there for 14 years.

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

etalian posted:

We're wearing the loving hats

SocketWrench
Jul 8, 2012

by Fritz the Horse

Bakanogami posted:

The thing that always weirds me out isn't that the other reactors at the complex stayed active for so long, it's that the last one operational was reactor 3. Like, from photos of the site it looks like it's in the same loving building as the destroyed reactor 4. I'd have figured it would have had enough problems and damage from the disaster to be taken offline immediately, much less hang in there for 14 years.

There's a really thick wall between them, but yeah, they shared the same ventilation stack and everything. Reactor 1 had had a partial meltdown a few years prior to 4 going ape. I think 2 had been damaged at some point as well

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí

FiftySeven posted:

I was in Sendai. Iodine tablets loving suck :unsmith:

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eau de MacGowan posted:

I was in Sendai. Iodine tablets loving suck :unsmith:

We're you inserting them in the right end?

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

SocketWrench posted:

We're wearing the loving hats

https://twitter.com/iresimpsonsfans/status/1134383248606453760?s=19

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler
After Chernobyl is finished and you need some more dread and nuclear disaster, the German show Dark starts its second season on Netflix two weeks later.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=810CHvSdXOo

With some editing this could be a Chernobyl trailer.
-Someone records a cassette tape
-Geiger counter sound
-Someone hangs themselves
-A ruined nuclear reactor
-'It will happen again'
-Dead animals
-People in radiation suits
-Flashlights flickering and dying
-The year 1986 features prominently
-Someone picks up a black mineral rock

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

drunkill posted:

Close, our main man Boris Shcherbina is the Baron from the upcoming Dune (2020)
WAIT THERE'S A DUNE FILM THIS YEAR!?!? :psyboom: