Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Sky Shadowing posted:

My new Morrowind philosophy is that I don't fast travel anywhere until I reach it on foot first.

If it's an island town unreachable by land travel, I use abot's boats mod to travel there in real time, or swim. (If a crash interrupts the journey, the journey counts as complete.)

Are Abot's mods finally stable? I loved all of his additions to the game, but at least a few of them caused many other issues down the road everytime I've played them. His boats mod and birds/nature mod were two of the culprits.

Edit: What's the go-to setup these days, Open MW or MGEXE/MCP? I lean towards the latter because performance and stability aren't really an issue.

chaosapiant fucked around with this message at 17:48 on May 30, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

chaosapiant posted:

I still think Skyrim has the best dungeon designs. Quite a few are cookie cutter, but most of the Dwemer ruins and stuff like Blackreach and that long dark cave in Dawnguard are awesome as poo poo to me. I also love the huge expansive sewers/caverns/Dwemer ruins in Tribunal.

Edit: A couple of mod requests: I'm looking for some good tree replacers that stick to the vanilla style and don't look super out of place. Also, what is the "go to" grass mod these days for both the main game and Tamriel Rebuilt? And do any of them keep the Ashlands empty of grass, because it's supposed to be dead. And lastly, are there any "must have" shaders separate of those in the new version of MGE XE? TIA!

This video comparing grass mods popped up in my recommended the other day.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

This video comparing grass mods popped up in my recommended the other day.

Got it! I emailed myself the link so I can look at it when I get home. I'm always on the fence regarding grass. It looks nice sometimes, but also doesn't feel very Morrowindy.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Edit: What's the go-to setup these days, Open MW or MGEXE/MCP? I lean towards the latter because performance and stability aren't really an issue.

Mgexe if your computer can run it. Openmw if it cant.

Openmw has no distant statics or mwse or shaders so you'll gain stability and lose cool features.

That being said openmw is breaking their previous stance of 'no new features' because the old grognard who used to run it is MIA. So openmw has sheathing and graphic herbalism at least.

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
I've been really impressed playing openmw on my mac - I do miss MSE though.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Sky Shadowing posted:

My new Morrowind philosophy is that I don't fast travel anywhere until I reach it on foot first.

If it's an island town unreachable by land travel, I use abot's boats mod to travel there in real time, or swim. (If a crash interrupts the journey, the journey counts as complete.)

i have followed this rule for like a decade, at least. good way to passively train athletics and get absolute gobs of alchemy ingredients, and run into random npc quests.

in my current game i actually ran across a quest i'd never seen while doing this after taking a different route from gnisis to ald velothi than i normally take. which speaks to how fuckin good morrowind is that i'm still finding new poo poo some 17 goddamn years later.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

That being said openmw is breaking their previous stance of 'no new features' because the old grognard who used to run it is MIA. So openmw has sheathing and graphic herbalism at least.

:yeshaha:

(Hope they're alright)

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

On the wings of my Bloodmoon, tribunal, and sixth house overhauls I'm brainstorming my next project: armor, weapon, and enchant overhaul. Modular and probably not in that order.

First order of business:
On use enchants suck

Second order of business:
Many enchanted items are beyond worthless

Solutions:
Buff on use enchants or change them to constant effect or on hit if needed. Add more uniquely enchanted items. Artifacts are generally ok, it's the outliers that are too noticeable.

Armor:
Medium armor has no niche. Its niche will become higher enchant capacity. The adamantium helmet will get a better model that fits the armor better.

Light armor has nothing between chitin and glass. Maybe complete the dreugh set and give it to light? Then distribute it in world and in leveled lists.

Weapons:
??? I dont know what actually needs to be changed here and might defer to a true combat overhaul that's being worked on that adds

Looking for more ideas or thoughts

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
I think part of the problem is that getting “end game gear” in Morrowind is easy by design, and so there winds up being whole tiers of weaponry that go unused. Aside from the very first steps out of Arrille’s Tradehouse, how often are you using iron or steel weaponry? How often do you use that random bone charm you found in the tomb that casts some minor illusion hex for 10 seconds?

I really like the idea of overhauling custom made enchantments—I wish there was a way for the player to make artifact level enchantments with great effort. A multi step ritual or something.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Medium armor's purpose is to be good if you're not powergaming. Quoting myself:

"Medium is the most useful armor for most of the game. Light (DB armor aside) comes in rear end, and glass, and by the time you can get glass you can afford a trainer to boost your light armor skill to something worthwhile. Heavy armor either doesn't provide more defense than medium (everything below dwemer) or weighs too much to ever be relevant (ebony, daedric). Given that orcish shits on dwemer, there's very little reason to go heavy. Again, DB armor aside, the options added by the expansions don't really change this."

Not that I don't support the idea, but nerfing glass would be the most effective way to get medium armor some respect. Depending on your intended audience, it also bears remembering that glass armor is one of the rarest things in the game and you're not likely to get a set without knowing what you're doing.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Like the near complete set on shelves and such in Ghostgate.

Get the Amulet of Shadows near Ald Velothi and you're practically invisible.

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
lmao at wearing armor when you can facetank everything shirtless and high on skooma like the true prodigy of Caius Cossades

https://youtu.be/NCLu2yy_dP8

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

the best cuirass in the game is medium and bonemold is by far the best easily accessible armor in the game. medium is fine and i don't think nerfing glass is necessary or useful, since that would pretty much make light unambiguously the worst armor type all-around.

that said, i usually stick to chitin armor anyway (at least until i start getting the really top-tier armor artifacts) because it looks fuckin rad and if you know how to morrowind your armor rating isn't that important anyway.

DEEP STATE PLOT fucked around with this message at 21:13 on May 30, 2019

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

On the wings of my Bloodmoon, tribunal, and sixth house overhauls I'm brainstorming my next project: armor, weapon, and enchant overhaul. Modular and probably not in that order.

First order of business:
On use enchants suck

Solutions:
Buff on use enchants or change them to constant effect or on hit if needed. Add more uniquely enchanted items. Artifacts are generally ok, it's the outliers that are too noticeable.

Armor:
Medium armor has no niche. Its niche will become higher enchant capacity. The adamantium helmet will get a better model that fits the armor better.

Light armor has nothing between chitin and glass. Maybe complete the dreugh set and give it to light? Then distribute it in world and in leveled lists.

Weapons:
??? I dont know what actually needs to be changed here and might defer to a true combat overhaul that's being worked on that adds

I don't frequent the new mods often enough and didn't realize you had done did up some mods. Tell me about your Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and Sixth House overhauls please.

Another idea for an over haul (unless the three you mentioned do this) would be to overhaul creatures and scaling so there is some playable content past level 40. I used to use a mod called Morrowind Advanced that sort of padded the levelled lists with additional variants of existing creatures, like Golden Saints on crack and tiny daedroth monsters who consume your feet, and a dragon thing near the Redoran Stronghold. I like that kind of stuff.

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

First order of business:
On use enchants suck

Solutions:

Armor:

Weapons:

- Find a way to randomise non-unique items' base and magic properties from -20% to up to +20% e.g. you find a Daedric Katana and based on your loot roll its enchanting capacity, slash or chop or pierce damage or weight can vary. An ordinary enchanted weapon that does 20 magic damage might range from 15 to 25 damage. Diablo 2 style variable loot where you're always going to be on the lookout for something that's better quality than what you're already got and aren't just selling all loot in the end game. Super-quality daedrics should probably out-perform artifacts.

- Amend the skill system so that higher quality equipment and weapons have "soft" skill reqs i.e. you don't get the full benefit of daedric armour or weapons till your skill is around 75/80 and it gets increasingly better from skill level 40 onwards. Adjust the curve so that players have the "best" armour rating or damage when they use something that has a quality close to their skill level, encouraging the player to use a variety of different equipment throughout the game. Certain items might be good because they have softer skill reqs, but are worse and surpassed by other equipment with higher reqs in the long run. Gamey but if you want to RP it you can say it's because the equipment generally gets heavier as it increases in quality :shrug:

- Introduce hard caps on resists and dodging at 80% (elemental cap can be surpassed by racial resistances) and introduce an inversion system where each subsequent iteration of a spell effect reduces its effectiveness.

- Introduce a lot of artifact level light armour and medium armour with interesting enchants. If you were trying to differentiate light from medium from heavy more, you could maybe tweak things so that light armour gives you much better elemental/magic resistance and heavy armour gives you much better AR. Medium armour fits somewhere nicely in the middle.

- Max 80% chance to hit with a weapon, minimum 20% chance to hit. Curve increases linearly till you have 65% to hit then subsequent skill increases give diminishing returns as you work your way up to 80%.

Entropy238 fucked around with this message at 21:50 on May 30, 2019

Analytic Engine
May 18, 2009

not the analytical engine
Anyone have a favorite book / bit of lore? I always loved the ending on this one.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Breathing_Water

Entropy238
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Tie skill increases with armour and weapons to how long you walk around with them equipped in real time/combat time rather than how many times you hit/get hit.

Introduce restrictions on training based on real time.

Analytic Engine posted:

Anyone have a favorite book / bit of lore? I always loved the ending on this one.

A worn and weathered note is my fave: https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:A_worn_and_weathered_note

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

I can't remember the name of the book, but the one about the dude who was so good in heavy armor he slept in it or something. It's basically a book about what it's like to have level 100 in the heavy armor skill.

One mod I remember that I liked a lot was "failure based skill increase." Anyone remember this? Basically for every skill that requires you to do a pass/fail check, the fail check levels the skill instead of passing. This inverts the leveling curve so early levels are easy and later levels are harder to get, as it should be. The flipside is that making the beginning of a playthrough easier just goes more in the direction of breaking the game over our knee with expediency.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
Chitin should have more styles like how bonemold does. Netch has two already, why not throw in some others

In the labors of jiub mod that I made up just now obviously he kills the nemean nix hound and gets an artifact piece, but regular nix chitin stuff could be out there.

If ur doing armor don't fall into the trap of palette swapping or thinking every drat style needs a full suit

Or make some kagouti hide armor or something

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

All the skill books I can remember are really good.

Entropy238 posted:

- Amend the skill system so that higher quality equipment and weapons have "soft" skill reqs i.e. you don't get the full benefit of daedric armour or weapons till your skill is around 75/80 and it gets increasingly better from skill level 40 onwards. Adjust the curve so that players have the "best" armour rating or damage when they use something that has a quality close to their skill level, encouraging the player to use a variety of different equipment throughout the game. Certain items might be good because they have softer skill reqs, but are worse and surpassed by other equipment with higher reqs in the long run. Gamey but if you want to RP it you can say it's because the equipment generally gets heavier as it increases in quality :shrug:

I like this idea. It kinda makes sense too, at least for armour, that you'd be less effective trying to use great gear without the level of skill needed to wield it. If it's technically doable, it sounds easier to implement rather than trying to balance everything around equipment or changing loot tables.

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

Analytic Engine posted:

https://en.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Beram_Journal

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

chaosapiant posted:

I can't remember the name of the book, but the one about the dude who was so good in heavy armor he slept in it or something. It's basically a book about what it's like to have level 100 in the heavy armor skill.

One mod I remember that I liked a lot was "failure based skill increase." Anyone remember this? Basically for every skill that requires you to do a pass/fail check, the fail check levels the skill instead of passing. This inverts the leveling curve so early levels are easy and later levels are harder to get, as it should be. The flipside is that making the beginning of a playthrough easier just goes more in the direction of breaking the game over our knee with expediency.

Yeah he was better at fuckin in armor than naked

The fail thing is something I was just bitchin about in xcom apoc, almost all the skills increase on success only or weird circumstances, so you end up with snowballed mega agents and dweebulent baby rookies who can't get over the hump as the aliens get tougher

On the one hand you'll eventually get mega snipers who can no scope across the map, but at least you should have guys get something for learning how NOT to do it

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

I don't frequent the new mods often enough and didn't realize you had done did up some mods.

chaosapiant posted:

So yea...quickloot is loving amazing.
:tipshat:

chaosapiant posted:

Tell me about your Tribunal, Bloodmoon, and Sixth House overhauls please.

Another idea for an over haul (unless the three you mentioned do this) would be to overhaul creatures and scaling so there is some playable content past level 40. I used to use a mod called Morrowind Advanced that sort of padded the levelled lists with additional variants of existing creatures, like Golden Saints on crack and tiny daedroth monsters who consume your feet, and a dragon thing near the Redoran Stronghold. I like that kind of stuff.

quote:

Tribunal and Bloodmoon were released as expansions to the base game, and were intended for players who had already fully cleared previous quests. All of the enemies and non-hostile NPCs are much higher level because of that. While a powerful vanilla NPC might be level 30, a powerful Bloodmoon NPC could be level 70. Ash Vampires and 'legendarily powerful' creatures/NPCs in the base game are somehow weaker than most expansion NPCs.

Parts 1-3 of the rebalance series tackle Tribunal, and finally making the 6th House / Dagoth Ur terrifying entities that even the most powerful Bloodmoon Skaal couldn't defeat easily.

https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45713
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45714
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46036

as far as high level content goes, I find the easiest way is just reducing global skill leveling speed with Proportional Progression
https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/45697/

I have heard good reports from my Sixth House mod that "Dagoth Gares keeps murdering me" and "what the gently caress why is this ash vampire so fast" which is basically my goal all along. I want Dagoth Ur to be the final boss, not some daedric sidequest bloodmoon trial.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Can those mods be installed mid save? I’m only an hour or two in so no biggie if I have to restart.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

Can those mods be installed mid save? I’m only an hour or two in so no biggie if I have to restart.

it *should* impact any creatures you havent directly encountered. so if you visited the mournhold sewers any goblins you were in the same cell with will be vanilla but those in other cells will be changed. i'm like 99% sure this is the case. you'll know soon enough if goblins are still wrecking balls.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

Analytic Engine posted:

lusty
argonian
maid

Also I like "The Armorer's Challenge"

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

DEEP STATE PLOT posted:

the best cuirass in the game is medium

Which one is this? I quite like the Cuirass of the Savior's Hide.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Analytic Engine posted:

I'm a big fan of A Hypothetical Treachery both for the play trappings and really all of the rest of it as well.

The names in particular are some great fantasy soup.

Orv fucked around with this message at 01:28 on May 31, 2019

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

hooah posted:

Probably Ebony Mail, not to be confused with the base Ebony Cuirass, which is heavy armor.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva

I have heard good reports from my Sixth House mod that "Dagoth Gares keeps murdering me" and "what the gently caress why is this ash vampire so fast" which is basically my goal all along. I want Dagoth Ur to be the final boss, not some daedric sidequest bloodmoon trial.

Yeah I had to slink into Gares' real fuckin carefully, and chug a gallon of portions during the actual fight.

Also the horror of cattle xir

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Yeah I had to slink into Gares' real fuckin carefully, and chug a gallon of portions during the actual fight.

Also the horror of cattle xir

Cowpocalypse

DEEP STATE PLOT
Aug 13, 2008

Yes...Ha ha ha...YES!

hooah posted:

as mentioned above, the ebony mail. highest armor rating and absolutely baller enchantments, plus it's the final reward for one of the best questlines in the game.

Woebin
Feb 6, 2006

I always liked the Decumus Scotti books, A Dance in Fire and The Argonian Account.

E: I guess I'm a Jarthhead.

Woebin fucked around with this message at 05:43 on May 31, 2019

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Hey Mr Testicle or someone else that is knowledgeable, how are lua scripts able to interact with the game and pull off the amazing mods that have been coming out?

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

very carefully

kazr
Jan 28, 2005

Reach heaven by violence to understand the Scripting Ways

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

kazr posted:

Hey Mr Testicle or someone else that is knowledgeable, how are lua scripts able to interact with the game and pull off the amazing mods that have been coming out?

How much time do you have lol

The tldr version is the original mwse did a lot of the heavy lifting by editing a direct x dll to add new functions. The lua magic is Nullcascade added the cpp -> lua wrapper library called sol which allows you to write not the mwscript in esps but essentially inject your new functions at any time triggered by any event (game start, enemy damaged, object activated, thing died, etc)

The way everyone (mostly hrnchamd and null) made those events is you open morrowind in ida debugger and find the memory offsets that correspond to things and explicitly define them. It can be an insane amount of work and I'm surprised anyone bothered but there you go

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Are there any mods that do for Telvanni what Uvirith's Legacy does? This is gonna sound dumb, but I dont' want to install a mod that makes a house much more interesting to play if the others aren't enhanced either. It's just unfair!

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

chaosapiant posted:

Are there any mods that do for Telvanni what Uvirith's Legacy does? This is gonna sound dumb, but I dont' want to install a mod that makes a house much more interesting to play if the others aren't enhanced either. It's just unfair!

Not really, no.

Fact of the matter is Telvanni is the most popular house and attracts the most modding attention.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
I started a Bal Isra mod, but the problem is finding time to work on so many projects.

Especially when I’m busy with far more important mods like this :wiggle: https://www.nexusmods.com/morrowind/mods/46852/