Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

my pro tip is to double click or single click or whatever makes it happen, on any box you can put stuff in, and put everything that's highlighted in there until something cool happens

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
That's the thing to do in general, and if nothing works, read more books.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
So, with Cultist Simulator winding down to a close. Weather Factory has just officially announced their previously only unofficially announced next game.

Supposedly, this is Alexis attempting to make a game that has his style of writing and the like, but which doesn't incorporate his love of massive elements of grind and time consumption. General plot line seems to be that you play as a Librarian that serves the Occult World and potentially the Hours themselves and that it has some sort of tie into the Secret Histories.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

I still kind of hope there's another expansion with a sort of New Game++ that has you attempt to ascend into being an Hour. Seems like the logical thing to do.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:

SettingSun posted:

I still kind of hope there's another expansion with a sort of New Game++ that has you attempt to ascend into being an Hour. Seems like the logical thing to do.

I feel like, if mortal influence even would be useful for that, that you'd need a much wider-scale organization than a small chunk of London. Looking at all the Gods-from-Flesh, all of them rose through either direct murder and replacement of another God, or via the direct intervention/empowerment of an existing Hour

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

So new DLC's have starting professions, and they supposedly unlock when your last run ended in a Despair/Fascination loss. Can anyone post that script that allows you to edit your previous save file (I remember using it to do the Apostle runs) so I can jump right in without wasting half an hour trying to get a Fascination death?

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Also consider just using the debug to spawn 3+ cards of the right type. Might also be able to spawn the suitable season but I just use it to spawn cards.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

Kinda disappointed they didn't set it up like Dancer and let you get into the new paths from any start. Trying to get a specific beginning is just a pain.
I still haven't seen the detective legacy as an option yet.

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011
Save editing is actually fairly simple. When it drops tomorrow, I can write a quick how to for those who want to have a specific legacy. Would also be more than happy to just dump a setup copy of the save for folk as well if you don't mind dealing with whatever sort of hold overs from the previous game those legacies give.

Hempuli
Nov 16, 2011

Just got my first Change/Moth victory yesterday! The final stretch required a huge bit of luck (Getting 15 heart or moth influence without access to Peacock door is rough) but otherwise it was fairly fun to go through and I ultimately ended up in the Moth Pit. Is there anything you can do with a lover other than have a good time or end the relationship?

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Hempuli posted:

Just got my first Change/Moth victory yesterday! The final stretch required a huge bit of luck (Getting 15 heart or moth influence without access to Peacock door is rough) but otherwise it was fairly fun to go through and I ultimately ended up in the Moth Pit. Is there anything you can do with a lover other than have a good time or end the relationship?

You can bring them with you. But the living cannot join you.

If you let them die, use their corpse to raise them as a risen (of either type), and then ascend. You get a very, very slight alteration to the victory text. And I do mean, very slight. Essentially just a head nod that you brought someone with you.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

If anyone wants it I've made a save file that lets you start as either Priest or Ghoul:

{
"defunctCharacterDetails": {
"futureLevers": {
"LastCult": "cultforge_1",
"LastFollower": "laidlaw_d",
"LastTool": "toolforgeb",
"LastBook": "highmysterieschurchsolarfucine",
"LastDesire": "ascensionpowera",
"LastCharacterName": "Octavius",
"LastPersonKilled": "neville_a",
"LastHeadquarters": "generichq",
"LastSignificantPainting": "paintingmansus"
},
"name": "[unnamed]"
},
"metainfo": {
"VERSIONNUMBER": "2019.1.i.1"
},
"currentending": "minorforgevictory",
"availablelegacies": {
"priest": "priest",
"apostleforge": "apostleforge",
"ghoul": "ghoul"
}
}

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

uhhhhhhhh

anyway ghoul expansion is ok so far. i seem to be struggling for money a lot more though

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

uhhhhhhhh

anyway ghoul expansion is ok so far. i seem to be struggling for money a lot more though

Douglas, bless him, is an idiot.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Man, I started Priest, and it's kind of cool. But also weird because I'm trying to work out what to do with Fervour and how that progresses my horrible doom/glory/etc.

Also if anyone can work out how to do the thing the game text says you can do with your cult one time cult change in that route, let me know.

pedro0930
Oct 15, 2012

Tylana posted:

Man, I started Priest, and it's kind of cool. But also weird because I'm trying to work out what to do with Fervour and how that progresses my horrible doom/glory/etc.

Also if anyone can work out how to do the thing the game text says you can do with your cult one time cult change in that route, let me know.

It seems you have to use health and fervour to start a sermon, then there's a bunch of other timed cards you need to prepare to get through to get "knock scar".

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Of course, I didn't look at the slot properly. Thank you!

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

How do you get the Talk verb as Priest? I'm trying to start my cult and can't figure out how.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

How do you get the Talk verb as Priest? I'm trying to start my cult and can't figure out how.

Do your job, remember what you promised the bishop about not bringing up certain subjects. Do it anyway. Get your congregation hyped up and keep going.

IIRC anyway. The first few steps are a bit of a blur and I can't go back and check easily.

ZeusJupitar
Jul 7, 2009

Tylana posted:

Just Talk the cult card with the lore you want to refocus on.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ghoul tip - don't be a moron, like me, and instead try exploring with your temptation

e: goddamn i am a total idiot this would have made things way easier

Lucinice
Feb 15, 2012

You look tired. Maybe you should stop posting.
Playing the game for the first time in months. I became super poor and lost all my health. Man I missed this game.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Damned cops ended my run. Big old thanks to Yorkshire Pudding for that save file.

Medium may be the best job in the game. It pays the same as the doctor and it generates mystique.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
My scholarship can still be applied to nothing still I see, excellent...

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

the ultimate message of cult sim has always been to drop out of college

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Caidin posted:

My scholarship can still be applied to nothing still I see, excellent...

It's part of the new research system, IIRC

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Zengetsu posted:

It's part of the new research system, IIRC

I was just going by it's little quality that said it's still good for nothing but building reason.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I wonder if there's a way to play a ghoul without killing anyone. Is it really this hard to find an unattended graveyard?

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Ragnar34 posted:

I wonder if there's a way to play a ghoul without killing anyone. Is it really this hard to find an unattended graveyard?

Funny you should say that... keep going.

On my own part, I bought all the DLCs and loaded up my last save from a few months ago, which was a Bright Young Thing i had glanced at after doing the Grail apostle victory and they totally coincidentally had three dread which I didn’t have to do anything to summon, so I’ve also been playing Ghoul. Downside is I’ve gotten to the proper dedication but I seem to have stalled out. I can keep doing my thing and talking to a painting but aside from giving me a sick knife (lady please i may eat corpses but i’m not a murderer*, this knife won’t help me) for an unusual memory it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

There’s no guidance I can see to future goals, and unfortunately the fact that the Ghoul dedication only does its thing when you’ve got marks and you can payback marks you don’t even have yet with corpse potion makes it hard to experiment, especially if you lose your spot and you just downed like 15 corpse potions and now it’s gonna take like a year to get another one aaaaaaaagh.

If someone could give me some direction without being too overt, it’d be appreciated.

* - okay there was that one time but technically I got someone else to do it it doesn’t count

BlondRobin fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 31, 2019

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Oh, your scholarship is totally used for something now. It can be used to help you refine Lores.

I like how lore-combining is no longer random, it tells you exactly what you'll need before you go into it. Also sometimes you can use something more than Erudition or Glimmering, like risking your health to combine some Edge lore. Hmmm.

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug

ZeusJupitar posted:

Just Talk the cult card with the lore you want to refocus on.

Ah, the method tripped me up. In spoilers for any others struggling. Talk with the cult. Start with nothing in the slots. This starts a process where you can rededicate. I was trying to just convert an empty person slot and obviously not getting anywhere because start was greyed out. Also looks like you can rededicate to your current cult type.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

the painting gave me a Latin textbook, which, while technically necessary, was not quite what I had in mind as a reward for necrophagy

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

uhhhhhhhh

the starting is rough but you can parlay it into a mystique engine and bootstrap into a painting career

Tylana
May 5, 2011

Pillbug
Beware the new Staleness mechanic for art.

Also, Priest has taught me that I never before run out of money.

Time to debug 50+ funds away. Because reasons

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Yeah but it'll still produce enough to hold you through the clearing out the shops and building your cult phase.

BlondRobin posted:

If someone could give me some direction without being too overt, it’d be appreciated.

I was in a similar position and was wondering what to do too, just now, and found that exploring other available options naturally produced a path forward for me.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the “staleness” mechanic is for people who rely too much on notoriety or mystique and not passion in painting.

If you want a more specific way forward with advancing a ghoul Remembrance temptation, I got a very special bit of person to chew on after an expedition that gave a Luxurious Memory that did not decay with time, and I was able to start making a special painting over time with that.

Anyone mind spoiling me on a good renewable source of corpses because sending out my winter minions isn’t always reliable.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
The staleness mechanic sucks because grinding money is the most boring part of the game and making it worse serves no purpose at all, thank you for your time.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

ghouls must explore with their temptation

Zengetsu
Nov 7, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

The staleness mechanic sucks because grinding money is the most boring part of the game and making it worse serves no purpose at all, thank you for your time.

While this is very true, it's also not at all surprising, since Alexis has said he very, very deliberately designed all the income gain to be annoying and tedious because ART. Having to grind out a living doing stuff you're not passionate about sucks.

Doesn't change the fact that it's annoying and tedious though. You can always open the console and cheat up a bunch of funds when you get sick of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlondRobin
May 29, 2005

Sssh! Be vewy vewy quiet. It's wabbit season.

Speedball posted:

Anyone mind spoiling me on a good renewable source of corpses because sending out my winter minions isn’t always reliable.

ghouls must explore with their temptation

However, as I mentioned this only works when you’re hungry. And thus only once it’s not just a temptation anymore. You might miss it if you have a massively full stomach, too, since you can fill up your tummy past zero marks and the game mentions this not at all. If you do that it could take a lot of seasons of ambition to get another mark. It’s probably the dumbest thing about Ghoul so far.