Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixian
Oct 9, 2001

Many machines on Ix....new machines
Pillbug

In addition to being truly horrific that article includes this little gem:

quote:

[locked inside industrial oven by] his fellow worker – and future son-in-law –

I'm morbidly curious if she still married the guy who accidentally locked her dad in an industrial oven and cooked him to death at 280c.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

https://meduza.io/en/feature/2019/05/30/i-was-there-and-i-don-t-want-to-watch-this-anymore

quote:

‘I was there, and I don’t want to watch this anymore’ A journalist in Baltimore shows HBO's ‘Chernobyl’ to his stepfather and discovers that he was part of the USSR's military cleanup

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pookum posted:

I got a couple knock off makita 18v batteries and they work fine in tools that don't draw a lot of power fast, like flashlights and radios. I had a co worker try to use one to drill a 4" hole through some plywood and it started smoking and swelling haha I thought it was gonna blow up so we threw it out the window. It fell 3 stories and didn't blow up. It's nice to have some cheap batteries though because the real ones are loving expensive.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
https://i.imgur.com/i4mCAf3.gifv

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

The gently caress is going on here and what's the ignition source?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 12 hours!

tater_salad posted:

Stupidity.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

tater_salad posted:

I've been at a few places where you needed a "hot work permit" to use a camera. Soooo....... Possibly the camera?

"Hot work" is usually defined as anything involving, welding, grinding, torches etc......

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

tater_salad posted:

There is always an ignition source

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
Source: https://youtu.be/h148KchWQMI

Bonus clip: https://youtu.be/tENKQp6tnBY

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

tater_salad posted:

A kerosene space heater.

Yes. Really.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Points for pouring large amounts of gas inside, extra points for continuing to pour after the funnel fell out and getting most of it on the ground

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ
If only there was some kind of well-known method for getting fuel out of a vehicle's tank

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

GotLag posted:

If only there was some kind of well-known method for getting fuel out of a vehicle's tank

Clearly not known well enough.

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Shut up Meg posted:

A kerosene space heater.

Yes. Really.

Oh my loving god. I thought they were morons but what I didn't know was that Darwin fell asleep too early.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

GotLag posted:

Just remember to eat the mint after not before.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
"Huh, funnel fell out. Wasn't really working all that well, tho so...gently caress it, keep pouring!"

:psyboom:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

This reminds me of something semi-OSHA at work.

The building I work in is old. I've been there thirteen years and a lot of stuff hasn't been fixed, replaced, or repaired even once. A big thing that hasn't been touched is the gutters and drains from them.

By our CNG fueling station for the forklifts, there's one of these drains. Around January year it finally broke off from the gutter and was just hanging from about four feet up (a fifteen foot length) by a single rusted out bolt and some kind of metal binding clip. It hung by that, moving in the wind, for about two months before I got tired of it (yes the supervisors were told, who knows if they bothered to escalate). I found a roll of duct tape and put two layers of it about five feet above the existing connector, figuring, hey, this will at least temporarily keep it from breaking off while someone is standing by it, right? Well, it's still there. Not fixed, duct tape in drat near perfect condition. At this point I don't think they're ever gonna fix it just because of how well that duct tape worked.

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

GotLag posted:

If you watch the bonus clip, they clearly have a hose on hand so I guess he just didn't know!

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

chitoryu12 posted:

Just got told about an accident at the local UPS center. Apparently a package got stuck in the conveyor belt and they just send someone to climb on the belt and retrieve it.

They sent a guy who exceeded the weight limit for the belt and it collapsed. He’s okay, fortunately.

I was working at a UPS facility a few years ago, one night I was in the sort tower controlling the belts (wasn't on the floor because I had broken an ankle jumping off of a ladder) and one of the top primary directs began to jam up. One of the industrial engineering guys was up there with me and told me to leave the belt running while he broke the jam, he ran down the belt and kicked at the jam until it started moving and took his prosthetic leg with it, leaving him hopping around on a 30 foot high moving belt with obstacles all over the place.

I didn't catch poo poo from my boss for this because he was still out getting skin grafts after getting his hand caught in a transfer plate, which was a shame because we were like a week away from our cookout for going 300 days without a reportable lost-time injury.

Log082
Nov 8, 2008

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

I was working at a UPS facility a few years ago, one night I was in the sort tower controlling the belts (wasn't on the floor because I had broken an ankle jumping off of a ladder) and one of the top primary directs began to jam up. One of the industrial engineering guys was up there with me and told me to leave the belt running while he broke the jam, he ran down the belt and kicked at the jam until it started moving and took his prosthetic leg with it, leaving him hopping around on a 30 foot high moving belt with obstacles all over the place.

I didn't catch poo poo from my boss for this because he was still out getting skin grafts after getting his hand caught in a transfer plate, which was a shame because we were like a week away from our cookout for going 300 days without a reportable lost-time injury.

The obvious solution here is to hire more people with prosthetic limbs.

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Log082 posted:

The obvious solution here is to hire more people with prosthetic limbs.

Why hire from outside when you can promote from within

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Alternatively, nobody can be injured if all employees are dead.

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

What keeps me coming back to this is, how could he stand the smell?

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

GotLag posted:

Gas smells good.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

JackSplater posted:

This reminds me of something semi-OSHA at work.

The building I work in is old. I've been there thirteen years and a lot of stuff hasn't been fixed, replaced, or repaired even once. A big thing that hasn't been touched is the gutters and drains from them.

By our CNG fueling station for the forklifts, there's one of these drains. Around January year it finally broke off from the gutter and was just hanging from about four feet up (a fifteen foot length) by a single rusted out bolt and some kind of metal binding clip. It hung by that, moving in the wind, for about two months before I got tired of it (yes the supervisors were told, who knows if they bothered to escalate). I found a roll of duct tape and put two layers of it about five feet above the existing connector, figuring, hey, this will at least temporarily keep it from breaking off while someone is standing by it, right? Well, it's still there. Not fixed, duct tape in drat near perfect condition. At this point I don't think they're ever gonna fix it just because of how well that duct tape worked.

Normalisation of deviance is a hell of a drug.

For content: somedays, you get insanely unlucky, but not quite unlucky enough.

https://giant.gfycat.com/RespectfulUncommonAruanas.webm

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Free ear piercing and extra tetanus

GotLag
Jul 17, 2005

食べちゃダメだよ

Burt Sexual posted:

Gas smells good.

Not in that quantity

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Love a good two-fer

https://gfycat.com/legalsanefrigatebird

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Jet Jaguar
Feb 12, 2006

Don't touch my bags if you please, Mr Customs Man.

GotLag posted:

Maybe they'd been huffing fumes so long they couldn't smell anything anymore.

That's all I got, I have no other explanation for recreating the gasoline fight from Zoolander in one's basement like that.

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

TerminalSaint posted:

The depiction in the show is of a helicopter losing visibly in the smoke plume and then clipping the crane cable with its rotor as it emerged. It does happen much earlier than the actual events.

Apparently a lot of people missed it completely and didn't understand what was going on. For reference, the real event happened in broad daylight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICOu7KksgUA

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

I'm more mad I can't tell if he's pouring kerosene or gasoline. It's a blue can after all.

PirateDentist
Mar 28, 2006

Sailing The Seven Seas Searching For Scurvy

Mustached Demon posted:

I'm more mad I can't tell if he's pouring kerosene or gasoline. It's a blue can after all.

Lets consider the obvious answer here, that it's a container marked for water.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Burt Sexual posted:

Gas smells good.

It was an extra cruelty of the old days that leaded gasoline smelled better than unleaded.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

I store my lawnmower gas in a blue can because when I needed a new can all the gas cans across the southeastern US were sold out because they'd all been shipped to Florida for that big rear end hurricane that hit a few years back.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

I store my lawnmower gas in a blue can because when I needed a new can all the gas cans across the southeastern US were sold out because they'd all been shipped to Florida for that big rear end hurricane that hit a few years back.

Did you properly relabel it?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

There are three people in this story and they have all been injured recently on the job.

Incredible.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord
My workplace has a sign that says something like "30 days without a lost time incident", which doesn't sound like much, but it also hasn't been updated in over a year. :downs:

Not sure if that means we've gone 400+ days without an incident, or we just stopped tracking them. Who knows?! :confuoot:

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

I know it's extremely :thejoke: but loving, please tell me that's how he lost his real leg the first time around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Bees on Wheat posted:

My workplace has a sign that says something like "30 days without a lost time incident", which doesn't sound like much, but it also hasn't been updated in over a year. :downs:

Not sure if that means we've gone 400+ days without an incident, or we just stopped tracking them. Who knows?! :confuoot:

Do you work at Black Mesa?