Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

I'm sure the game will be bad and turn based (also bad) and will be based on modern dnd(bad again) instead of a proper real time with pause AD&D 2e game.

I just can't get excited for Larian making this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Skwirl posted:

I don't know much about it, but they just released a pen and paper campaign that starts in Baldur's Gate and eventually you get involved with the Blood War some how.

This is the next announced Adventure for D&D. It's not actually out yet. It's less getting involved in the Blood War as it is going to Hell.

Also this was released not long ago as well.

https://www.dmsguild.com/product/269398/Heroes-of-Baldurs-Gate-5e

Baldur's Gate is in the spotlight this year.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 30, 2019

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Willie Tomg posted:

I could have sworn the EE weidu tweak pack had something like that in it that I just declined to use in my most recent play, but all I can find is an option to turn off traps and locks entirely and the Planescape mod you found.

Mate, don't even sweat it, thanks for pointing me in the direction of EEKeeper and the bottomless containers, that already will make my life a lot easier.

I rolled a monk, which is something I've never done for BG, but now I'm thinking of rolling a cleric instead.

This is what every BG run boils down to, isn't it? Spend longer considering/creating your character than actually playing the game? :v:

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

All I want is a 3rd game that is still 2nd edition AD&D and continues with our super powerful protagonist battling gods and dealing with moral dilemmas that affect the planes. I want it either in the Infinity engine, or a move to the Pillars engine would be fine as well. And it needs to be RTwP. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that some if not all of these things will not be met, so I don't even see the point in doing a BG3.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

chaosapiant posted:

All I want is a 3rd game that is still 2nd edition AD&D and continues with our super powerful protagonist battling gods and dealing with moral dilemmas that affect the planes. I want it either in the Infinity engine, or a move to the Pillars engine would be fine as well. And it needs to be RTwP. I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that some if not all of these things will not be met, so I don't even see the point in doing a BG3.

It will be turn based, 5e, and epic game stores exclusive and banned from this thread.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

This must be how it felt to be a fan of Fallout and finding out Bethesda was doing the third game. I didn't play Fallout 1/2 until the summer before Fallout 3 released so I didn't have as much emotionally invested in it. I was too busy playing the BG series since the drat 90s. Maybe Larian will surprise us and folks who worked on the original game joined their team, and they went RTwP, and Isometric, and party based, and continue with my Bhaalspawn, and use an old janky engine.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I liked Divinity 2 and I liked Baldur's Gate. So I am interested in what comes out, plus it will be nice to have another D&D RPG.

cheesetriangles posted:

It will be turn based, 5e.

Neither of these would bother me, though I doubt it will be turn based.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 30, 2019

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

chaosapiant posted:

High level 2nd Ed isnt that much fun. At that point is just move counter move by mages to dispel protections so fighters can hit things. I saw this as I'm in the middle of ToB and every fight is either letting the AI just autoattack or having 4 casters firing off spells back to back to back and hoping the tanks stay alive long enough to do damage. Raising the difficulty just makes it far more tedious when you start having the generic mage enemies casting timestops.

They can pull a *any arbitrary DnD event that caused gods to lose power* to the PC and bring back a few familiar characters and have a new grand adventure up to epic levels in an entirely different world location. Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Calimshan, Kara-tur for that classic fantasy Japan experience etc.

People who want Baldurs Gate 3 want more of the original franchise saga, and unless the VAs are dead or #Metoo it's not like Larian can't afford to hire them.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pentyne posted:

High level 2nd Ed isnt that much fun. At that point is just move counter move by mages to dispel protections so fighters can hit things. I saw this as I'm in the middle of ToB and every fight is either letting the AI just autoattack or having 4 casters firing off spells back to back to back and hoping the tanks stay alive long enough to do damage. Raising the difficulty just makes it far more tedious when you start having the generic mage enemies casting timestops.

They can pull a *any arbitrary DnD event that caused gods to lose power* to the PC and bring back a few familiar characters and have a new grand adventure up to epic levels in an entirely different world location. Waterdeep, Neverwinter, Calimshan, Kara-tur for that classic fantasy Japan experience etc.

People who want Baldurs Gate 3 want more of the original franchise saga, and unless the VAs are dead or #Metoo it's not like Larian can't afford to hire them.

I think it should be possible and feasible to make high level god combat that isn't just stripping protections away. You're a god/demi-god. You need to think through your every move or thousands of people could die, poo poo like that.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I imagine it will be a fresh start.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

It'll be an FPS and the events of the BG novels are canon.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

sebzilla posted:

It'll be an FPS and the events of the BG novels are canon.

Ugh. Ugh. The very idea. Is it true they get worse after the first one? That's the only one of them I read and gently caress me it was bad.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
I trust in larian's ability to make a very fun game. I do not trust in larian's ability to make a good story to go with it.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

catlord posted:

Ugh. Ugh. The very idea. Is it true they get worse after the first one? That's the only one of them I read and gently caress me it was bad.

The BG2 book was insanely bad, but the ToB one was written by Drew Karpyshyn and while it's not stellar, it did the best to squeeze blood from a stone in a hosed up setting the previous books created.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

You'll never convince me that the love for 2nd edition D&D in this thread is anything other than Stockholm syndrome.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Samuel Clemens posted:

You'll never convince me that the love for 2nd edition D&D in this thread is anything other than Stockholm syndrome.

I grew up playing PnP 2nd edition in the 90s and loved the rule set in Baldur's Gate. I still prefer it to most modern gaming systems.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

ProfessorCirno posted:

I trust in larian's ability to make a very fun game. I do not trust in larian's ability to make a good story to go with it.

Just hire Chris Avellone and Monte Cook, put them in a room with several pounds of cocaine, problem solved.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Angry Lobster posted:

Just hire Chris Avellone and Monte Cook, put them in a room with several pounds of cocaine, problem solved.

If you're going that route, just get Michael Kirkbride out of retirement or wherever he's at. His brain operates that way normally. Then we can go on the epic "quest to find the bhaalspawn's spear" and whoops it's a penis.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Angry Lobster posted:

Thankfully there's a high chance Chris Avellone might be involved to some degree, he took part in D:OS 2 too, albeit a few elements only

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

frajaq posted:

Thankfully there's a high chance Chris Avellone might be involved to some degree, he took part in D:OS 2 too, albeit a few elements only

He kind of nuked his reputation when he went on a public twitter tirade against the management at Obsidian didn't he?

He also got a lot of flack for his writing in Pillars of Eternity too. All in all seems like a good writer when there's someone to keep him on track and in check.

It's not as bad as Monte Cook. Everything I've read about Tides of Numenora is that he expected players to follow a very specific path and trying to deviate from that path makes the game artificially hard to an extreme.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

pentyne posted:

He kind of nuked his reputation when he went on a public twitter tirade against the management at Obsidian didn't he?

He's freelancer and still gets a lot of work so it probably barely hurt his reputation

Bholder
Feb 26, 2013

Is it time again to argue how there shouldn't be a Baldur's Gate 3?

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

pentyne posted:

He also got a lot of flack for his writing in Pillars of Eternity too. All in all seems like a good writer when there's someone to keep him on track and in check.

It's not as bad as Monte Cook. Everything I've read about Tides of Numenora is that he expected players to follow a very specific path and trying to deviate from that path makes the game artificially hard to an extreme.

I don’t know about Monte specifically, but Tides was a good game and didn’t seem to be that linear at all.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

I imagine it will be a fresh start.

It's gotta be. IF they're going to stick with 2E the mid-range levels are the most fun (gently caress starting from lvl 1 again) so I can see them starting with a new character with some cameos from the old cast along the way.

Samuel Clemens posted:

You think that's bad, I'd play another 1st Edition Gold Box game in a heartbeat if there were still professional level ones coming out.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
5e is pretty much 2e if it was made today in terms of mechanics so it's not that far off.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006
Nothing's gonna replace BG1/2 in my memories, but I'm not as enamored of RTWP as some ITT despite it being a selling point in 1998, especially seeing how transitioning to turn based combat in Pillars 2 was lauded as basically the single best change the series made.

Furthermore, Divinity OS1 at least (haven't played 2) does a fantastic implementation of turn based combat, because the game is real time until you step into a combat encounter where that localized little area goes into initiative passes unless someone moves so far outside it they're not in the combat anymore. Which, incidentally, is exactly what happens in tabletop D&D.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

Angry Lobster posted:

...Right, and once they're both dead, hire actual good writers :colbert:

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Turn based is blasphemy and is best left forgotten.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

cheesetriangles posted:

Turn based is blasphemy and is best left forgotten.

Technically the Baldur's Gate games are turn based, the game just does not pause automatically between turns by default.

Willie Tomg
Feb 2, 2006

MonsterEnvy posted:

Technically the Baldur's Gate games are turn based, the game just does not pause automatically between turns by default.

And every change to the IE subsequent to BG1 vanilla has been to make this more explicit.

Like, Divinity

--does not have vancian magic or "rests"
--explicitly goes into initiative when its time for initiative

and that's about it, mechanically, regarding differences with D&D except that people who are not rogues can do Literally Something about the traps they spot with the perception skill that exists independent of the rogue class. Larian explicitly setting themselves to an adaptation of the D&D ruleset is a dream come true.

e; The only way it gets more true to RTWP is if they have a robust system to acknowledge ready actions and held actions, so players can simulate wasting their characters' time in BG combat with more precision than was ever possible before.

Willie Tomg fucked around with this message at 03:52 on May 31, 2019

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Maybe it's actually Pool of Radiance 3: Hopefully Better than 2.

I wish GOG would get Pool of Radiance 2, for some reason I kinda want to play it. I have it on disc, and I know they fixed the bug, but poo poo, I'm not sticking that thing in any computer I have. Hell, maybe they could pair it with Descent to Undermountain. I'd be willing to try that piece of crap for a few minutes too.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Ehh, kinda, but not really.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
No It's pretty faithful to D&D 2e. Hell most of the attacks done in melee are actually just fluff and don't do anything until it's that characters turn.

Suspicious
Apr 30, 2005
You know he's the villain, because he's got shifty eyes.
Sorry but gimme 4e or 5e (never tried it). Playing a non-caster in 2e is dreadfully boring.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Suspicious posted:

Sorry but gimme 4e or 5e (never tried it). Playing a non-caster in 2e is dreadfully boring.

Why would you ever want to play a non caster?

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

cheesetriangles posted:

Why would you ever want to play a non caster?

see, these type of people are RTwP defenders

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Appearntly Nathan Stewart and Kate Welch of the D&D team who are largely the D&D Media people stated that if a brand new D&D game was to come out, it would be based on 5e.

My theories on BGIII are more or less it will be like this

* 5e based.
* It will be pause and play like the originals.
* As you level up faster in 5e than 2e the level range will be 1 to 20. So it will be a complete story.
* Game will be a fresh start starring a new character at level 1.
* A few spells and abilities that won't really work in video games will be removed or altered.
* It will take place in the Baldur's Gate Area.
* The timeframe will be the current Realms, 120 years after the original Baldur's gate.
* Minsc and Coran of the original companions will show up at the very least. As they are both still alive in the current era and live in the Baldur's Gate Region.
* It will have some sort of DM mode like Divinity 2 does.
* The story will involve Bhaal in some way.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:40 on May 31, 2019

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Sucks we never got a 4e game. Seems ideal for a srpg but oh well

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

FastestGunAlive posted:

Sucks we never got a 4e game. Seems ideal for a srpg but oh well

Agreed, it's a system that works really well with automatization and a game would have been good for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
How the gently caress is Minsc still around if the game takes place 120 years after BG1?