Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

this charitably assumes that what they want to do will be ruled unconstitutional/illegal

because they will do it, and they'll spend millions litigating the issue after the fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

I mean, I also genuinely don't think a parliament with a CPC majority is a parliament with a majority to do anything on abortion.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

DariusLikewise posted:

- privatizing/dissolving canada post and purolator
- cut cbc news completely

If we didn't live in a Hellworld there would be a carrier that would make it cheaper for shipping to happen between provinces. If you're a small business/manufacturer trying to sell directly to consumers it's loving impossible to turn a profit if you're shipping within Canada. The big reason I think is because China post is so heavily subsidized just the shipping costs inter provincially make it cheaper to have the loving thing you're making made in China and shipped to your customer's door. It's super hosed up and I think it's a big reason we don't have these cottage industries like the USA.

CBC has really good local news but overall the neoliberal bent of their articles makes them almost worthless as a news outlet. The overt party biases and pandering to a certain upper middle class demographic really take away from the actual good reporting they sometimes can do. For every one actual original news story there are a dozen thinly veiled neoliberal propaganda pieces, so I'm really conflicted with defunding the CBC. On the one hand, gently caress 'em but on the other the remaining mass-media news outlets are somehow even worse.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

autism ZX spectrum posted:

China post is so heavily subsidized

And guess who'll complain about us being anticompetitive if we returned the favour

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

If we didn't live in a Hellworld there would be a carrier that would make it cheaper for shipping to happen between provinces. If you're a small business/manufacturer trying to sell directly to consumers it's loving impossible to turn a profit if you're shipping within Canada. The big reason I think is because China post is so heavily subsidized just the shipping costs inter provincially make it cheaper to have the loving thing you're making made in China and shipped to your customer's door. It's super hosed up and I think it's a big reason we don't have these cottage industries like the USA.

CBC has really good local news but overall the neoliberal bent of their articles makes them almost worthless as a news outlet. The overt party biases and pandering to a certain upper middle class demographic really take away from the actual good reporting they sometimes can do. For every one actual original news story there are a dozen thinly veiled neoliberal propaganda pieces, so I'm really conflicted with defunding the CBC. On the one hand, gently caress 'em but on the other the remaining mass-media news outlets are somehow even worse.

:thunk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

flakeloaf posted:

And guess who'll complain about us being anticompetitive if we returned the favour

The US?

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

I'd have accepted literally any answer that was the name of a country, so yay you win

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Has there ever been an actual leftist party in Canada?

The NDP started out as a failed Marxist revolution:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1_oKcXn8vs

Rutibex has issued a correction as of 16:55 on May 30, 2019

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
is there another kind?

Torquil!
Jun 20, 2005
Dillon!

infernal machines posted:

is there another kind?

what?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

...of marxist revolution

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
lol the prop rep referendum in bc failed. old news i know. this whole country is dumb as a rock.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/cra-kmpg-settlement-taxes-1.5154610

quote:

The Canada Revenue Agency has once again made a secret out-of-court settlement with wealthy KPMG clients caught using what the CRA itself had alleged was a "grossly negligent" offshore "sham" set up to avoid detection by tax authorities, CBC's The Fifth Estate and Radio-Canada's Enquête have learned.

glad the libs can't stop libbing long enough to stop the cons from conning for the next 5 years

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009

quote:

Several KPMG executives had been named to testify in the spring of 2016, but Liberal MPs voted to shut down the inquiry, arguing that any more testimony and documents should be produced in court and not in Parliament.

Now, it appears that those future court cases cited as a reason for shutting down the investigation might never materialize.

Oh wow who could have guessed that would happen.

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

Health Services posted:

Oh wow who could have guessed that would happen.

Liberals gonna Liberal

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

https://twitter.com/daveanthony/status/1134142652557844480
https://twitter.com/kieranleavitt/status/1134182024732954625
lmao

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

maybe we deserve to be on fire :shrug:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

Remember that time... when Fort MacMurray burned down and Albertans were tripping over themselves to deny any link to climate change

Virtual Russian
Sep 15, 2008

This is fine

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

Reality Winter posted:

lol the prop rep referendum in bc failed. old news i know. this whole country is dumb as a rock.

the rich spent a lot of fuckin money to make sure that didn't go through

Yinlock
Oct 22, 2008

finally, conservatives are back in the drivers' seat and it's time for alberta to return to prosperity

*THE PROVINCE IMMEDIATELY BURSTS INTO FLAMES*

Ansar Santa
Jul 12, 2012

You would think that something so on-the-nose would give people pause, something appearing like nothing less than a plague visited upon us by God. But any lesson just stops dead before it gets halfway through people's skulls. They'll never learn a thing. In 30 years we'll be choking on the smoke from April to October, there will be adults who don't remember a time before the smoke. But they will remember the Job Killing Carbon Tax and how we must never not be be Open for Business

Awful CompSloth
Dec 15, 2018

Anyone have a link to the VOD?

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Yinlock posted:

the rich spent a lot of fuckin money to make sure that didn't go through

They had help from the centrists within the NDP. They could have just passed it with the greens, but they tricked Weaver (extremely easy to do) into thinking referendums are good expressions of the people, as opposed to polls or election votes.

My friends who work within the dipper apparatus confirmed that there was very little enthusiasm or effort put towards it. Like the party wanted it to fail :(

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
What the gently caress is KPMG anyway? I can't help but imagine some borderline illuminati bullshit. KPMG says close the hospitals, we close the hospitals. KPMG makes it okay to hide money offshore, etc etc.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Born on the bayou
died in a cave
bbq and posting
is all I crave

What the gently caress is KPMG anyway? I can't help but imagine some borderline illuminati bullshit. KPMG says close the hospitals, we close the hospitals. KPMG makes it okay to hide money offshore, etc etc.

Iirc KPMG absorbed Arthur Anderson, who you might recall collapsed after their company's hands were all over the Enron / Worldcom accounting scandals.

So yeah, thats whos brainstorming austerity at the govt level

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

i'm watching the NBA Finals and i just saw a commercial from the Ontario government bitching about the federal government's carbon tax

Jehde
Apr 21, 2010

idk having gas pumps that just give you a shitload of nickels would be pretty nice

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
How does a group like KPMG end up getting into everything like that?

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

KPMG (iirc) was hired by the BC Teachers Federation to do an audit and ended up finding millions of bucks that were owed to the union.

The last general meeting I attended had a debate over whether we should give them the boot as our accounting firm on account that Panama papers shenanigans means evaded taxes are siphoned from public school systems. No one cared and it was voted down.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
https://twitter.com/davecournoyer/status/1134152330532626432

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Is the mask photoshopped in?

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Awfully early for wildfires. buckle up.

bvj191jgl7bBsqF5m
Apr 16, 2017

IÃÂÃŒÂÌ° Ó̯̖̫̹̯̤A҉mÃÂ̺̩ Ç̬A̡̮̞̠ÚÉ̱̫ K̶eÓgÃÂ.̻̱̪̕Ö̹̟

Reality Winter posted:

Awfully early for wildfires. buckle up.

It's insane lmao

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Jehde posted:

idk having gas pumps that just give you a shitload of nickels would be pretty nice
yeah the Ontario government isn't really making a good sell

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

To explain an idea you must first understand it.

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?
jesse brown is totally not mad that the federal government isnt joining his patreon. now let him tell you why unifor and unions are bad

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Blood Boils posted:

They had help from the centrists within the NDP. They could have just passed it with the greens, but they tricked Weaver (extremely easy to do) into thinking referendums are good expressions of the people, as opposed to polls or election votes.

My friends who work within the dipper apparatus confirmed that there was very little enthusiasm or effort put towards it. Like the party wanted it to fail :(

Based on the Green party's actions in government I really don't see why we should want to give them a permanent place in the legislature honestly. I think progressives really fetishize proportional representation as some kind of panacea for our problems when the truth is most of the actions we need the government to be taking right now are likely to be deeply unpopular and will, if anything, be hindered by a more representative political system.

I feel like a lot of beloved progressive ideas like basic income and proportional representation basically exist as substitutes for real policy solutions. "If we just had more democracy and more purchasing power then the economy and political system would function the way they are supposed to!" is a dream and its time we woke up from that dream.

DariusLikewise posted:

jesse brown is totally not mad that the federal government isnt joining his patreon. now let him tell you why unifor and unions are bad

As much as I hate the media bailout I will never forget how one of Jesse Brown's big complaints about the idea of bailing out newspapers was that as a small business owner he was looking forward to the chance to hire journalists for cheap when their current jobs exploded and he didn't appreciate the government making that harder with subsidies. It sucks that the only real media criticism we have in Canada is some libertarian jerkoff who spends half of every episode selling mattresses and Keurigs.

incontinence 100
Dec 21, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
I don't understand why anyone would waste time listening to a podcast about Canadian politics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Helsing posted:

I think progressives really fetishize proportional representation as some kind of panacea for our problems when the truth is most of the actions we need the government to be taking right now are likely to be deeply unpopular and will, if anything, be hindered by a more representative political system.

i agree, the rabble must be controlled. we should bring back the property qualifications to vote to further enhance the governments effectiveness. maybe even absolute monarchy.