Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
That's still enough time to fill the level with aesthetically-pleasing penises.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Is there any other kind?

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

I've realised that SMM2 is probably going to be a whole lot worse than 1 for streaming for precisely the reason it's going to be much better for 99% of users: instead of the Hundred Mario Challenge you get five lives to go as far as you can. This means that the ultra-hard levels where even the streamers drop 20 lives are going to simply not be viable when found at random. And those are some of the most fun to watch even if they are simply obnoxious to play.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
The Hundred Mario will probably still be around.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Not going by the interface we saw in the direct.
If this means less DGR videos I have to hear in the background from my son watching then good loving riddance.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

DalaranJ posted:

In the sequences where they made their own levels they were only given ten minutes with the editor.

Oh, sorry, I wasn't trying to fault these journalists specifically. I know they had very limited time.

But when the game comes out, none of you have an excuse for that poo poo :colbert:

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

MonsterEnvy posted:

The Hundred Mario will probably still be around.

It wasn't displayed on the Course World screen. That doesn't mean that it doesn't exist, but it seems like Endless Challenge replaces it. Pick a difficulty then go forth.

Honestly, I think that will be more entertaining to watch as well as play because, let's face it, NO ONE likes watching a person butt their head against a stupid, impossible level for 100 lives. It's boring. Besides, if you really want to watch someone meticulously learn Kaizo nonsense, there will still be viewer level streams where those get submitted.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

But when the game comes out, none of you have an excuse for that poo poo :colbert:

:yeah:

I better not see any cut-off pipes, either. Connect them to something!

Suspicious Cook fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 30, 2019

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So how many of ya'll are gonna remake your favorite levels from Mario Maker 1?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Yeah, I'm so used to true SMB1 physics that it's going to be weird to be able to actually get some air after jumping on an enemy; that poo poo didn't show up until Mario 3 (unless Lost Levels/the real SMB2 had it?)

The Lost Levels introduced it.

Internet Kraken posted:

I'll.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

Internet Kraken posted:

I plan to at least bring back some of my favorite mechanics from my SMM1 stages, but they won't be one-for-one copies. I've learned a lot by going back and playing what I once thought was good only to discover I could do a lot better. With new things like Thwomps moving sideways or on/off switches, I can make things a lot cleaner and less janky too.

On a side note, I hope we can put the on/off blocks on rails. I want to make a level where you have to prevent things from hitting the switches so your platform carrying you to victory doesn't get turned off.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Honestly, I think that will be more entertaining to watch as well as play because, let's face it, NO ONE likes watching a person butt their head against a stupid, impossible level for 100 lives. It's boring. Besides, if you really want to watch someone meticulously learn Kaizo nonsense, there will still be viewer level streams where those get submitted.
I watched a few Giant Bomb streams where they make a very difficult level and then die through it for a couple hours until they can post it. I don't mind watching those hard streams. I plan on streaming a bunch of levels I find on SA/Twitter. Too fun. I like "Kaizo-lite" levels.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Internet Kraken posted:

I'm going to be so busy making Super Mario 3D World 2 that I won't have time.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

I never had the inspiration to make a level beyond a simple grassland style one in 1. I’ll try more with this game.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Internet Kraken posted:

I plan to bring over most of mine. Having not played them in so long I've been able to better spot some rough edges that needed sanding over so I've been working on that to tide me over until MM2 comes out.

Suspicious Cook posted:

Unfortunately it seems like that's actually the most popular type of stream which just encourages more of these levels to get made. Sometimes they can be fun to watch if they're devious enough but yeah, it sucks if they're just running the same bit of level over and over to die at the same place. Mario Maker's checkpoints and load times don't lend themselves well to Kaizo stuff compared to newer ROM hacks which have developed ways to make death more tolerable. For Mario Maker the best streamer I've found is The Dragon Feeney who just casually dominates 100 Mario expert mode and doesn't feel the need to impose a no-skip restriction when something especially heinous comes up.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

Probably never gonna bother trying to do a 1-to-1 recreation, but there are quite a few levels with a central theme/gimmick that I want to bring into the new game. Especially with some of the new objects that I could use to improve the old ideas.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

there are a few level concepts that I'd like to take another stab at, but I won't be remaking anything because all my levels were pretty bad tbh

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

:agreed: Prepare to get an immediate dislike.

Sam Faust posted:

Probably never gonna bother trying to do a 1-to-1 recreation, but there are quite a few levels with a central theme/gimmick that I want to bring into the new game. Especially with some of the new objects that I could use to improve the old ideas.

:same:

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Suspicious Cook posted:

On a side note, I hope we can put the on/off blocks on rails. I want to make a level where you have to prevent things from hitting the switches so your platform carrying you to victory doesn't get turned off.

This was one of the things shown in the direct.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

DalaranJ posted:

:agreed: Prepare to get an immediate dislike.

drat straight. Sure, prototype your idea, but when it's all set to go, gameplay-wise, pretty it up before uploading.

Speaking of, what was the protocol for updating a level? Did you just have to trash the old one and reupload?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Speaking of, what was the protocol for updating a level? Did you just have to trash the old one and reupload?
Sadly, yes. I’d love for them to let you reupload but keep your play stats but I doubt it will happen.

F. Lobot
Jul 6, 2010

Endless challenge is gonna be brutal, you only start with 5 lives!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

F. Lobot posted:

Endless challenge is gonna be brutal, you only start with 5 lives!

Plus it looks like you can still only collect 3 extra lives per level. At least they’re pretty valuable now.

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004
Have they confirmed the SMB1 desert theme yet? My hope is that they use the Super Mario Land Underground theme. Here's the Smash Bros remaster: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0IhWGUFljk

As for remaking levels, I don't plan for any 1:1 copies. The new themes certainly encourage trying something new - my Bone-Dry Dunes stage will feel much more at home in the desert. I'm curious to see how the Dry-bones shell interacts with hazards and objects besides lava.

I certainly learned about a lot about how to iterate through platformer challenges through my SMV project. Seems it would be a waste not to at least revisit some old ideas.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

DarkLich posted:

Have they confirmed the SMB1 desert theme yet?

Yes.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

DarkLich posted:

Have they confirmed the SMB1 desert theme yet?

start of this video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-6_SStk0Yk

DarkLich
Feb 19, 2004

Thanks for the link. I'm excited to hear the full track and see if there are any nostalgia triggers.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I’m very curious how skips are going to work in multiplayer. Will it be a unanimous decision thing where it only skips if everyone votes on it, or will there be a “host” who has the power to skip? The latter would easily be abused in versus mode.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

It's probably still individually done and they just have the person that skips drop out, if it's just random people playing online anyway.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjWEMHJIIAI

First question asks if the night themes can be separated from their effects. According to GameXplain, it doesn't look like it, which is kind of hosed up.

Here's hoping they just missed that option, because I'd love to just... y'know... make a night level without any of the crazy poo poo.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Seeing slopes in SMB1 feels really wrong somehow

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I hope my opinion changes, and I'll try them, obviously, but I have to say that my interest in playing any SMB3D levels is almost non-existent. I've never played the original game, though I wanted to. But everything I've seen so far from it just doesn't inspire anything in me at all.

Just like the NSMB style, except I'm more familiar with that one. Is it just me?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I think it has a lot of cool nonreplicable mechanics and am excited to try its new physics.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Super Mario 3D World is the best Mario game ever made, so no.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

3D World is a better heir to the NES & SNES games than the NSMB series itself, personally I'm extremely hyped to play around with its unique set of mechanics

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

multijoe posted:

3D World is a better heir to the NES & SNES games than the NSMB series itself, personally I'm extremely hyped to play around with its unique set of mechanics

Well, it's weird, because I actually think 3D World looks incredible and incredibly fun; I don't feel the same way towards the 2D limitation of it in SMM2. Like I said, though, I'll still give it a try.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
3D World’s cat wall climbing mechanic alone is going to make for some very unique level types, I’m excited about that for sure. I hope the mode is not as feature-limited as it’s been described to be though. And if it is, well let’s hope they update the game over time.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I am really bummed by the 5 life start for Endless Mario. Does it even have a Super Expert mode?

I liked the sweet spot of hard levels that took 5-20 lives to beat with difficult mechanics. Obviously the full run-killer 100 life levels were never going to work in this mode, but at least a decent starting life count would mean my favorite difficulty of level would still be streamable :smith:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

I'm going to need to get my hands on the game to get a feel for the 3D World style before I come up with any levels for it. Right now any levels I want to make involve elements that aren't going to be in that style.

Stolen from Reddit:

TheAardvark posted:

I am really bummed by the 5 life start for Endless Mario. Does it even have a Super Expert mode?

I liked the sweet spot of hard levels that took 5-20 lives to beat with difficult mechanics. Obviously the full run-killer 100 life levels were never going to work in this mode, but at least a decent starting life count would mean my favorite difficulty of level would still be streamable :smith:

I believe Super Expert was shown as an option in the direct.

I feel like easy endless runs could truly be endless unless they implement some kind of escalation system where you eventually progress into normal and expert courses if you play long enough.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

J-Spot posted:

I'm going to need to get my hands on the game to get a feel for the 3D World style before I come up with any levels for it. Right now any levels I want to make involve elements that aren't going to be in that style.

Stolen from Reddit:

Most of this is fine, but the timer based switching boxes are a bullshit thing to make exclusive

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BabyRyoga
May 21, 2001

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
:siren::siren::siren:SMM2 is a month away, so what do you do for a month?:siren::siren::siren:

Why not go play Panga's new Kaizo Tutorial hack, now available on SMW central?

If you like SMW (IE the best style in SMM), and want to learn everything there is to know about how to play more difficult levels, give it a shot. It will explain the most basic kaizo mechanics in-depth, and give you an easy practice area for performing "tricks" so to speak. Just load up your favorite emulator or SNES homebrew device, apply the patch, and you'll find yourself becoming better at SMW over night!