Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Are there any goon cross world linkshells on Aether? I know basically everyone is on Primal but been around here too many years to change!

EponymousMrYar posted:

All I want from Eureka 2.0 is daily quests.

That's it. That's what will get me to go back into Eureka to actually do stuff. I got sick of grinding mobs back in OG everquest, I vastly prefer completing tasks.

Literally just put leves in Eureka it'd make sense and would do something with a completely dead system

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
Amongst everyone else, Famitsu magazine had an interview, too.
https://www.famitsu.com/news/201905/29176911.html

Plenty of stuff, though the trust stuff interested me in particular.

Why are there no commands in the Trust system? posted:

Q: The "Trust" system allows us to enter Shadowbringers MSQ dungeons with NPCs. Why can't we give the NPCs commands?

Yoshida: This was intentional. Commands are necessary when we want the game to do what the player wants. But this time with the Trust system, we wanted it to feel the same as getting matched with other players in DF; in other words, playing with allies that have their own independent thought processes. So, we didn't implement commands. If you add commands on top of an AI, then it can end up becoming dumber instead.

Q: What exactly would happen?

Yoshida: For example, right now, when NPCs are targeted by AoE attacks, they follow an "AoE dodging" algorithm to calculate where to go, and walk in that direction. If you were to give a command while they were walking, and they stopped dodging the AoE to obey that command, then the player would think the NPC is stupid. And that said, if they cancel their movement to obey a command, they might not be able to dodge the AoE, or even get caught up in another NPC's AoE, again making them seem stupid. When you interrupt the AI's actions, they might not be able to recover well from the interruption, so depending on what the player asked for, the results could be less than stellar. Also, we'd have to set aside some frames before each action to wait for the player's command, so they wouldn't be able to act as smoothly. So, we decided from the very beginning that we wouldn't be implementing commands, and balanced it such that commands wouldn't be necessary.

Q: So, they're smarter when they're completely autonomous...

Yoshida: That is true for AIs with personalities. The Trust NPCs are always observing their surroundings while determining their actions, so by adjusting to them, players will be able to work together with them.

Q: I see, so they understand situational changes.

Yoshida: For example, Y'shtola is a special version of BLM called the "Witch" job ((name may be different in EN)). When she's targeted with an AoE while casting, she'll of course cancel the cast to move out of the AoE. If she happens to get targeted by two in a row, then in order to make up for that loss, she'll use Triplecast to do burst damage. After losing a certain amount of DPS from having her actions interrupted, she recovers it that way. Each character has their own detailed settings like that, which is why having commands would actually make things stranger. Even when you're playing with real people, you'll run into issues like people not focusing on the same mob. Instead of telling them to switch every time, it's probably more effective to adjust to them. Please think of Trusts the same way. Trusts will adjust to the player, unless they determine that continuing to attack their current target is the better choice.

Q: It's like they see something that you can't *laughs*

Yoshida: They know how much total DPS is needed to clear a dungeon in a certain amount of time, so if DPS is lost in the middle, they'll try to get back to the target value as much as they can. In that sense, they really are terrifyingly efficient in a way that the players can't see. You're better off not knowing how they work behind the scenes... *laughs*

Q: After hearing this much, it does make sense to not have commands in the Trust system.

Yoshida: Since there aren't commands, we were thorough in developing their personalities to make up for it. For example, if the player is a DPS, Minfilia and Y'shtola will never use limit break. This is because they think the player--in other words, the WoL--is the leading actor, and so the WoL should be the one to use it. Although in Y'shtola's case, she might just be thinking, "It's a DPS loss, so someone else can do it." *laughs* As for Alisaie, her personality has never been one of "supporting the main character," but rather "walking alongside the main character," so her train of thought is, "Defeating the enemies is my contribution to you" and no matter what job the player is, she'll always use the limit break right away when it's available. She won't do anything else until it's been used. If an AoE comes, she'll dodge it and then immediately try to use it again... Just how badly does she want to use it? *laughs* The personalities are a good thing about this system.

Q: While they do have a perfect grasp of the situation, it'd be boring if they always acted perfectly. Are there any mistakes programmed into them?

Yoshida: Indeed. For Alisaie, she likes to rush into battle, so she'll often charge in but get hit by an AoE that happens to be there. And then Urianger or Alphinaud will resurrect her at an incredible speed. Basically, you'll be able to see them as their characters. The Trust system isn't just about smart AIs, but rather the characters acting the way they would personality-wise. Urianger is good. He gives you all of the cards *laughs*

Q: Now I'm excited to go adventuring with them *laughs* Now then, it looks like we're out of time, so I'm going to completely ignore the flow of the conversation and ask this as my final question: Will UCoB and UWU weapons be added for GNB and DNC?

Yoshida: Unfortunately, no... *bitter smile*

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

YoshiP posted:

As for Alisaie, her personality has never been one of "supporting the main character," but rather "walking alongside the main character," so her train of thought is, "Defeating the enemies is my contribution to you" and no matter what job the player is, she'll always use the limit break right away when it's available. She won't do anything else until it's been used. If an AoE comes, she'll dodge it and then immediately try to use it again... Just how badly does she want to use it?

This rules.

Axle_Stukov
Feb 26, 2011

Stylin'

Hogama posted:

Although in Y'shtola's case, she might just be thinking, "It's a DPS loss, so someone else can do it."

Wouldn't have realized Y'shtola cared so much about her FFlogs ranking.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah I'm really excited about it.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

This is already sounding more fun than using duty finder

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I realized like two days ago that I'm probably gonna play through the whole expansion with trusts the first time, and it feels kinda weird to think about

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
a real good way to fix eureka would be to give players 1) the ability to queue directly for the dungeon so they can actually do it together, and 2) to make an alternate way to access the relic grind.

1) if i have to roll RNG to get into the same instance as all my friends, that's just the shittiest possible game design. there's literally no excusing this.

2) the whole point of old relics for me was clearing almost any old and current content at my own pace, and maybe get something shiny at the end of the expansion. now it's locked to a side thing that's completely decoupled from the entire rest of the game.

e: if i could access some kind of alternate grind for relic, i might have even visited eureka some more to at least get the levels out eventually. as it was tho, i just unsubbed instead.

Truga fucked around with this message at 03:01 on May 31, 2019

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You
I accept it because all eureka stuff looks bad and I don't mind I missed out on it. Including relics. (my opinion, people may differ)

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

My favorite part about Eureka is everyone mentioning how terrible the first zone is when the second zone is much, much worse.

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you

Pro click. Urianger giving the WoL all the cards while Alisaie rushes in to AoEs is the best.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Is there a list of trusts available anywhere?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SirSamVimes posted:

Is there a list of trusts available anywhere?

So far:

Urianger: Astrologian
Alisaie: RDM
Alphy: Scholar
Minfilia: Rogue (not standard Rogue, seems a variant class)
Y'sthola: Witch (BLM variation)
Thancred: Tankcred (Gunbreaker)

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

No, because its suspected that there are several that could be spoilers like plot characters we have not seen yet.

The known one are thancred as gun, minfilia as rogue, y'shtola and urianger we just saw mentioned, alphanaud as scholar and alisaie as red.

The fun part is they also have text conversations that change depending on the party, which will be extra neat if it applies to earlier dungeons with people who join afterwards.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Zokari posted:

My favorite part about Eureka is everyone mentioning how terrible the first zone is when the second zone is much, much worse.
That's because most people bounced off the first zone before getting to the second. :v:

But yeah, after getting to 15-16 or so and the fate train meta evolved I actually kind of enjoyed anemos, but then I got to pagos, spent an hour or two slowly grinding critters, and realized I didn't really feel like going through that tedious part again just to keep up. If SHB's version cuts out the gatekeeping a bit it might actually be pretty fun, but we'll see if the devs took the right lessons.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Truga posted:

a real good way to fix eureka would be to give players 1) the ability to queue directly for the dungeon so they can actually do it together, and 2) to make an alternate way to access the relic grind.

1) if i have to roll RNG to get into the same instance as all my friends, that's just the shittiest possible game design. there's literally no excusing this.

You can queue with friends and all get into the same instance assuming it's a normal Full Party.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Zoig posted:

No, because its suspected that there are several that could be spoilers like plot characters we have not seen yet.

The known one are thancred as gun, minfilia as rogue, y'shtola and urianger we just saw mentioned, alphanaud as scholar and alisaie as red.

The fun part is they also have text conversations that change depending on the party, which will be extra neat if it applies to earlier dungeons with people who join afterwards.
Minfilia as a rogue is a weird-rear end choice but ok. I'm sure I'll come around on it.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

ImpAtom posted:

So far:

Urianger: Astrologian
Alisaie: RDM
Alphy: Scholar
Minfilia: Rogue (not standard Rogue, seems a variant class)
Y'sthola: Witch (BLM variation)
Thancred: Tankcred (Gunbreaker)

I watched that Trust video that got linked a while back, and I noticed that Thancred used NIN's teleport to skip the catwalk phase. Alphinaud used his special Carbuncle instead of Eos too.

Wouldn't surprise me if everyone gets a few unique tricks.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

Pyros and Hydatos were both so so much better than Pagos but most people dropped off before they reached that point. 5.0 Eureka better have a system like logos available at the beginning instead of halfway through.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

ImpAtom posted:

You can queue with friends and all get into the same instance assuming it's a normal Full Party.

BA requires a bunch of parties tho

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

FactsAreUseless posted:

Minfilia as a rogue is a weird-rear end choice but ok. I'm sure I'll come around on it.

https://twitter.com/Fenrishion/status/1133743163326181376

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

FactsAreUseless posted:

Well Thancred didnt want to just throw his knives away after he changed mains.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
Hey Minfilia, let me see what you have?

"A knife!!"

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!
can final fantasy 16 just be a AAA single-player remake of this game? I want a full game of going on missions with all these awesome dorky scions

Granstein
May 22, 2006

Accuse children card game celebrities of adultery and I will not shut the fuck up about it. LSV did not cheat on his wife. He found love in another woman's vagina like Garfield intended.

Solo Wing Pixy posted:

Reducing DoT tracking is one of the things I actually like about nu-Scholar, it was the last job that had multiple ones of different durations I think?

I'm still not happy about the healer changes in general, but the SCH healing toolkit is stronger than I gave it credit for at first glance. It will actually be able to clear content. It still feels like all the healers are going to be weaker and less dynamic at 80 than they are right now though, and synced content is going to be an excuse to take a nap. A lot of it seems like a weird half-step to convert to WoW healspam.

Not that anyone is going to care (the thread and discord have both made that very clear) but I do apologise for getting wound up and snippy yesterday. It's just kind of annoying to see a job you've probably spent a thousand hours playing get worse while a bunch of people mansplain it to you or troll away

I know I only had the one post so this probably isn't directed at me, but I do genuinely feel bad for the people who liked the scholar dps kit. It sucks that the class is going to be less fun for them than it has been. Doesn't change the fact that I'll personally enjoy it more now, but I'm not trying to troll anyone by saying that, just offering the opinion of someone who loves the idea of scholar but disliked the old implementation. They definitely can't make everyone happy no matter what they do.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

How long until Warriors complain they're not doing twice the damage of every other tank, as is their right, and get buffed because of it?

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012

Captain Cappy posted:

How long until Warriors complain they're not doing twice the damage of every other tank, as is their right, and get buffed because of it?

it's already started

some dudes did some rudimentary mathing using current potencies and WAR comes in like 3rd behind DRK and PLD despite the fact that tooltips are almost certainly wrong and all the damage formulas are changing

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
So they're behaving like everyone else.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
how do you even math out DRK when the frey tooltip is like "summons a guy!! have fun"

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Look all I know is that Warrior and now Gunbreaker are probably the only two MMO tanks I've ever seen that are rad enough that I actually want to tank and that's all I care about

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Cephas posted:

can final fantasy 16 just be a AAA single-player remake of this game? I want a full game of going on missions with all these awesome dorky scions

I think it would be rad to have a full single player game about some of the past events. Have a game set during the height of the Allag, or during the war of the magi.

Or even in Gelmorra where you’re stuck underground because the Elementals are still super mad at you.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
looking at theoretical PLD rotations makes me thing they are gonna be drat fun.

this really is the tank's expansion. I honestly think all 4 tanks are gonna be great. probably gonna level 'em all before I get more than 1 healer and dps.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

Countblanc posted:

how do you even math out DRK when the frey tooltip is like "summons a guy!! have fun"

You fill in the blanks with whatever makes your original hypothesis correct, presumably.

Good Username Here
Aug 20, 2012

~No devil on my shoulder!~

cum calamity posted:

Are there any goon cross world linkshells on Aether? I know basically everyone is on Primal but been around here too many years to change!

I'm also on Aether! I don't know if anyone else runs a cross world linkshell and I'm already in one for my static but I'd be down to join one when 5.0 drops.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Countblanc posted:

Hey Minfilia, let me see what you have?

"A knife!!"

NOOOO!!!

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

So, I'm looking at getting back into this game for Shadowbringers, because fuckyeah Gunblades.

Question is, as far as Gunbreaker goes, is it going to be like the Dark Knight where you have to have a level 60 class and access to the expansion zone to unlock it? Or will it be unlockable so long as you've got the expac bought and paid for?

Also, which servers are the "best" for RP communities?

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

the_steve posted:

So, I'm looking at getting back into this game for Shadowbringers, because fuckyeah Gunblades.

Question is, as far as Gunbreaker goes, is it going to be like the Dark Knight where you have to have a level 60 class and access to the expansion zone to unlock it? Or will it be unlockable so long as you've got the expac bought and paid for?

Also, which servers are the "best" for RP communities?
Nah, they changed their mind on that after HW, the SB and ShB job quests start in 2.0 towns and there's no progress requirement. You will probably still need one job at level 60 though, since Gunbreaker itself starts at 60.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
I would guess it's going to require completing the 3.0 msq as well, since I believe sam and rdm required finishing the 2.0 stuff. Non-patch content specificially.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Failboattootoot posted:

I would guess it's going to require completing the 3.0 msq as well, since I believe sam and rdm required finishing the 2.0 stuff. Non-patch content specificially.
Nope, RDM and SAM just require you to hit 50 and be able to travel to Ul'dah.