Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
Personally I like the chaos aspect, but I really, really hate the Wild Magic table. It includes was too much monkeycheese, and way too many horribly impossibel to balance things.

I'd do something like these, or some combination of them.

1: if you roll max damage on any die in a spell attack, add another die. If you roll more than twice as many dice as you would have rolled based on the original result, stop adding dice, and take 1dx of damage, where x is the die used by the spell.

2: If you roll max damage on any die in a non-attack spell, add 5 feet to the radius of the AoE (or for a single target spell, make it AoE radius 5 feet), you can choose to take the damage from a die to cancel it from the pool of the spell, if you wish (i.e. to avoid barbecuing your allies by the expanding spell).

3: You gain a Wild Magic die, which is added to your attacks and penalises enemy saves. When you do chaotic things (e.g. risk opportunity attacks, cast into melee, include allies in AoEs, roll a nat 1 or a nat 20) the die size increases. The die size decreases at the end of your turn if it did not increase during the turn.

This is all a bit half-assed because it's a repost of a set of stuff I originally half-assed about 5 years ago, but there it is.

I'd also include a number of wild magic spells, that have differing effects depending on what the number on the die was, e.g. the 4e single target cantrip that bounces on to a new target on an even roll, as long as that target has not been attacked by the spell this round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Yeah making it more similar to Battle Master might be good, where you can choose to add another dice to your spell attacks but have to make a chaos roll in return.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

The wild surges are almost all beneficial or minimally inconvenient as written; if you don't want to come up with a new table, all you really need to do is have a way of making them happen randomly.

Something like: whenever you cast a spell of first level or higher, roll 2dX. If both dice roll the same number, you have a wild surge. If you channel more power into a spell and cast it at a higher level than normal, or you cast a spell using your highest level slot, roll a third die - any two being the same number triggers a wild surge. If all three dice roll the same number, you can choose the result of the wild surge table.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Infinite Karma posted:

The wild surges are almost all beneficial or minimally inconvenient as written; if you don't want to come up with a new table, all you really need to do is have a way of making them happen randomly.

Something like: whenever you cast a spell of first level or higher, roll 2dX. If both dice roll the same number, you have a wild surge. If you channel more power into a spell and cast it at a higher level than normal, or you cast a spell using your highest level slot, roll a third die - any two being the same number triggers a wild surge. If all three dice roll the same number, you can choose the result of the wild surge table.

The obvious way to do this is to cut the extra dice and just base it on the roll for the spell. I don't think there are many 1st level and above spells that only use one die, and if there are well... those don't trigger the wild surges.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

thespaceinvader posted:

The obvious way to do this is to cut the extra dice and just base it on the roll for the spell. I don't think there are many 1st level and above spells that only use one die, and if there are well... those don't trigger the wild surges.
That would be simple and elegant, but it's also going to trigger a wild surge on almost every spell. Fireball is guaranteed to trigger one, and most higher level damaging spells will too. Even Magic Missile at level 1 would trigger it the majority of the time. A wild surge even 1/6 of the time is probably too frequent, to be honest. Closer to 1/10 seems like a better rate.

Hidingo Kojimba
Mar 29, 2010

Azza Bamboo posted:

I could just make it needlessly complicated

immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher:

roll 2d6 + the spell level + the number of chaos counters you have

if the result is less than 13, gain a chaos counter.

if the result is 13 or higher, lose all chaos counters, roll on the table, regain the use of the ability

you lose all chaos counters after a long rest.

I think I'd just add the following spell to the game:

Nahal’s Reckless Dweomer
1st Level Evocation
Casting Time: 1 action
Duration: Instantaneous

You deliberately bring about a wild surge, and try to shape it to replicate the effect of another spell you know. This spell can only be cast by characters who possess the Wild Magic Surge class feature. Name a single spell you know or have recorded in your spell book with a casting time of 1 action or bonus action, of any level you can cast. You do not have to have a free spell slot of that level to attempt to cast it with this spell.

Roll on the Wild Magic Surge table (rolling twice and picking either number if you have Controlled Chaos). If your number is a a double (11, 22, 33 etc including a roll of 100) and is equal to or higher than the level of the spell you were trying to cast multiplied by ten, then you successfully cast the spell, without the need for components or additional casting time. For the purpose of resolving mechanical effects, treat the spell as being cast at its base level, even though you are only expending a level 1 spell slot. 

Regardless of whether you succeed in casting the desired spell or not, once all other effects are resolved apply the Wild Magic Surge effect for the number you rolled. (And regain the effects of your Tides of Chaos power if applicable.) 

At Higher Levels: When you cast this spell using a spell slot of the 3rd level or higher, the casting time is 1 bonus action.

Hidingo Kojimba fucked around with this message at 19:03 on May 29, 2019

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Wild surges are the worst and I wish new editions would stop shoehorning them in to find more excuses for you to roll on a random table to tell you how the thing you did fucks up in a wacky way.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

So D&D Beyond is kinda confusing me. Am I allowed to take Haunted One as a background to an Adventure League game?

edit: to clarify, I don't believe you can take Haunted One as a background for an AL character, but D&D Beyond has it as one of the default options, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

Tibalt fucked around with this message at 19:30 on May 29, 2019

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Tibalt posted:

So D&D Beyond is kinda confusing me. Am I allowed to take Haunted One as a background to an Adventure League game?

edit: to clarify, I don't believe you can take Haunted One as a background for an AL character, but D&D Beyond has it as one of the default options, so I'm wondering if I'm missing something.

I think you are allowed as of the latest season.

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Infinite Karma posted:

That would be simple and elegant, but it's also going to trigger a wild surge on almost every spell. Fireball is guaranteed to trigger one, and most higher level damaging spells will too. Even Magic Missile at level 1 would trigger it the majority of the time. A wild surge even 1/6 of the time is probably too frequent, to be honest. Closer to 1/10 seems like a better rate.

I haven't tried it myself, but this alternate rule set seems fun:

quote:

The rules are unchanged. When a sorcerer casts a spell, after the spell is cast, roll d20. If the result is 1, roll on the Wild Magic Surge table. Other events or actions may also result in rolling on the table. However, instead of rolling d100 and going straight in, you must first roll d20 to determine which of the 3 columns you’re going to use. 1-3 (15%) is the first column (extreme), 4-9 (30%) is the middle column (moderate), and 10-20 (55%) is the third column (nuisance).

Optional Rule: Instead of a flat 5% chance of Wild Magic Surges occurring when spells are cast, it was suggested that you roll d20 and subtract the level of the spell. If the result is 1 or less, a Wild Magic Surge occurs. This increases 1st level spells from 5% to 10%, increasing the odds by 5% each level.

https://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/Revised_Wild_Magic_Surge_Table_(5e_Variant_Rule)

I'd probably further modify it by having the severity d20 also be modified by subtracting the spell rank, so that bigger spells would be more likely to cause bigger surges. But for the folks who really hate unpredictability, it would be easy to thumb the scale in the opposite direction - or even remove Extreme surge events entirely.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 20:21 on May 29, 2019

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Tibalt posted:

Yes. Per the ALCC:

DressCodeBlue
Jun 15, 2006

Professional zombie impersonator.
Backgrounds never count as your +1 and you can make custom ones following their guidelines (but not custom background features).

My AL GOOlock has the Haunted One background. :3:

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Oh cool! Now my LE Dwarf Life Cleric of Helm can show up at games.

He's like a Warham Slayer but instead he wears armor and isn't as obviously suicidal.

Reveilled
Apr 19, 2007

Take up your rifles

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

What houserules do you use?

This is more of a "house style" than a house rule, but most DMs I've seen or played with tend to narrate low-rolled insight checks as "this person seems completely genuine" or "you're not sure, but you see no signs of deception". I prefer to do the opposite, and narrate low-rolled insight checks as the reasons players might think someone is suspicious (e.g. "you feel like they're avoiding eye contact with you"), since as far as I'm concerned that's the baseline default: if a player is insight checking an NPC, they're already suspicious and it's painful watching a player caught between wanting to be the dutiful roleplayer who was just told that they have no reason to suspect this NPC and wanting to say "gently caress the insight check, my character doesn't believe that". With suspicion-on-low, though, ignoring the dice becomes "gently caress the insight check, I choose to trust this person", which is just a regular old leap of faith, doesn't create a PC-Player conflict, and maintains player agency without someone at the table saying the word metagaming.

It's been a very successful change over what I think is the conventional method, but I do need to mention it to new players to my games since it's tripped up some people before who only expect to hear their suspicions confirmed when they've successfully insighted a liar.

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
All this talk about wild magic reminds me of the time I was playing a psyker in Deathwatch, a Warhammer 40k RPG, and in a session zero in-character introduction, I wanted to use my tarot cards to predict if our mission would be fortuitous.

Rolled Perils of the Warp, got like, 95, which is “you spawn a endgame level Demon Prince to TPK you.” Also it was specified that we were all unarmed and in sweatsuits/robes while our armor was being refitted.

The DM said the cards told me that something HORRIBLE just happened in a parallel timeline, and we moved on. But I at least half-seriously suggested we scrap the campaign and have this be the beginning of a Black Crusade game (the one where you play Chaos worshippers)

So yeah, I think your Wild Magic is quaint and cute.

Fumbles
Mar 22, 2013

Can I get a reroll?

clusterfuck posted:

Yeah sure I'd find that interesting :).

I'm a big fan of Wraith Wrights Comprehensive Manuals. Well balanced, consistent rules, lots of alchemy / poisons, interesting rules on magic item creation / modification which meshes somewhat with some of the monster harvesting ideas in Monster Loot which I'm introducing to add kind of survivalist feel for the party now they're Tier 2 and not shitkickers anymore.

You also mentioned Universal Martial Maneuvers - is that this one? How is that working out? What level is your party?
That's exactly the one! So far it works great. One player keeps forgetting they exist but that player also keeps forgetting all his other features so no real marks against the system there. Another player is creative enough that they kind of ignore it and keep doing Cool poo poo and asking me if they can do X with Y, while two others are really sparse on creativity and like having the ability to just point at thing and do thing and they're the main reason I have it. Makes the fights way more than just line up brawls or conga lines of death.

As for party level, mixed party at the moment. Lowest is 2 highest is 5. They'll even out shortly because I do milestone levels based on how hard a given fight was for your character and how often they fight poo poo that deadly, so the lower ones will catch up quick to the higher ones who will level slower. They like the organic feeling of not all being level-locked to each other and I'm finding that aside from HP there's not that much difference.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iCBoG16ZY9YEfsJ8PdISEgSjm3hvsh46WPzc5U0hvEc/edit?usp=sharing Here's the google doc. It's a big ugly, but it has all the stuff I've written on it so far. I've run two parties (a test party and the main party) so I've got a decent assortment of races and classes going on. My world is kind of a love letter to Final Fantasy 9 with plenty of RWBY and Goblin Slayer mixed in so you'll probably need to season to taste for your world if you want to use it for inspiration. It's going really well! Hope this helps you in any way.

(Edit)

Some of these were built with specific characters in mind so stuff might seem unbalanced in theorycrafting. I build systems around the players I have in my game, not theoretical players I -could- have, so since my main party doesn't have a Cleric for example and the test party had a Cleric who could only do basic stuff with Channel Divinity I parsed it as a fair exchange. Just keep that in mind if you see anything that seems obviously broken or unfairly balanced.

Fumbles fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 30, 2019

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I don't know the 5e tables too well, but my problem with random wild mage type effects usually group into "it can sometimes really punish the other players, which can cause resentment" and "I can't usually throttle the risk/reward."

I feel like there should be a difference between "Let's put a little oomph into this" and a Hail Mary Pass. And who knows, maybe 5e does it.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

I feel like frequently accidentally blowing myself up would be cool as long as the bad guys got blown up more. Or intentionally blowing myself partially up to blow the bad guys way further up than I otherwise could have. Or even having the choice of blowing up myself or a nearby ally to blow the bad guys up further than normal. That's a character concept I could get behind. drat right I lack control. I'm also way behind in patience, sympathy, the instinct for self preservation, and being qualified to use battle magic. You know what I'm not lacking in? <kabooooom> Now get outta my cartoonishly scorched face.

But the monkeycheese I lost 1d4 inches of height, my beard grew and I tripped over it, 1d4 flumphs appear, whoops I nuked the healer stuff isn't appealing at all.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 02:17 on May 31, 2019

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I don't know the 5e tables too well, but my problem with random wild mage type effects usually group into "it can sometimes really punish the other players, which can cause resentment" and "I can't usually throttle the risk/reward."

I feel like there should be a difference between "Let's put a little oomph into this" and a Hail Mary Pass. And who knows, maybe 5e does it.

no this is precisely the problem - the wild mage table is full of monkey-cheese bullshit that either doesn't do anything, or does something so wildly uncharacteristic that can make it far too risky to use for its otherwise intended purpose of getting Advantage on a roll every now and then

there's a 2% chance that you'll fireball yourself, a 2% chance that you'll turn into a potted plant, a 2% that you zap everyone around you for 1d10 necrotic damage, and so on, but there's also a bunch of things that don't really do anything, such as your height changing by a couple of inches, or you needing to shout all your speech for a minute, or you become bald for a day

___

compare this to how 4e did Wild Magic:

* if your first attack roll in a round is an natural even number, you get a +1 to AC for the rest of the round; if it's a natural odd number, you can make a Saving Throw (against whatever debuff you have on you that needs a Saving Throw to remove, if you have one)

* whenever you roll a natural 20 on an attack roll for an Arcane power, you knock down the target, and slide the target by 1 square, on top of everything else that a natural 20 might do; whenever you roll a natural 1, everyone within 5 squares of you gets pushed by 1 square

* whenever you finish an Extended Rest, roll a d10; you gain Resistance 5/10/15 to one of the ten types of elemental damage, based on that roll, until the end of your next Extended Rest

* the Chaos Bolt power lets you hit a secondary target with it, whenever you roll a natural even number on the attack roll

I hope this doesn't come off as "edition warring", but my point is that these are small-but-meaningful effects - enough that your character feels random, but not so much that it has the potential to throw a monkeywrench in the current combat, never mind the current campaign.

ritorix
Jul 22, 2007

Vancian Roulette
I mean what's the worst that can happen with wild magic really.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

ritorix posted:

Apparently the release version has a timer on the pot plant one, so I'm gonna go with Fireball centered on yourself, then a wash between confusion centered on yourself and the one that lights your gear on fire, unless "Roll for the next 10 rounds" counts which it probably shouldn't.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018
I just ran through character creation with a player who was completely stunned you could just....change the rules to your liking. "I've never thought about doing that before!"

Cassa
Jan 29, 2009
Gosh imagine their shock when you tell them that could play anything else with their time.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Apparently the release version has a timer on the pot plant one, so I'm gonna go with Fireball centered on yourself, then a wash between confusion centered on yourself and the one that lights your gear on fire, unless "Roll for the next 10 rounds" counts which it probably shouldn't.

I’ve personally seen the fireball one kill a PC. We were only doing the tier one modules that came out with Volos so we could screw around with the monstrous races but that would’ve been a lot more annoying in a longer or more RP heavy campaign.

I haven’t looked at homebrew stuff recently but I‘d love a sorcerer rebuild that casts with CON, uses hit die or HP to fuel metamagic, and has narrowly defined tiers of risk/reward options the players can make to push their characters beyond their limits.

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

TheDiceMustRoll posted:

I just ran through character creation with a player who was completely stunned you could just....change the rules to your liking. "I've never thought about doing that before!"

lol, imagine if the rules were all good out of the box.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ritorix posted:

I would say Fireball on yourself, That's really only dangerous at low levels however.

kingcom posted:

lol, imagine if the rules were all good out of the box.

Many systems do have issues right out of the box. All editions of D&D have had issues from the start. And because lots of stuff about these types of games and how they are enjoyed are subjective, house and variant rules became a thing.

MonsterEnvy fucked around with this message at 05:52 on May 31, 2019

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Many systems do have issues right out of the box. All editions of D&D have had issues from the start. And because lots of stuff about these types of games and how they are enjoyed are subjective, house and variant rules became a thing.

I'm just taking a cheap shot and making light of the why people are so passionately arguing for having problems get fixed and clarified in the rules themselves because there is genuinely a large amount of people who don't, can't or shouldn't be making the rules themselves. As reinforced by Exhibit A.

TheDiceMustRoll
Jul 23, 2018

kingcom posted:

I'm just taking a cheap shot and making light of the why people are so passionately arguing for having problems get fixed and clarified in the rules themselves because there is genuinely a large amount of people who don't, can't or shouldn't be making the rules themselves. As reinforced by Exhibit A.

man i just run houserules because my group started with 5e and after four years of this poo poo we found that the original ruleset is a little toothless. we played a bunch of OSR systems and took ideas we liked but flushed the rest because lots of OSR games have stupid poo poo we didn't like (race as class :rolleyes:)

Arthil
Feb 17, 2012

A Beard of Constant Sorrow
Brings up a funny thing, had a bit of an argument over it.

Monks yeah? At level 9 they get to just full on Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon their way up/down/along whatever. Someone was trying to make the argument that because you needed to keep moving to make use of it, you could only move up to your movement speed(maybe including dash/double-dashing) outside of combat/initiative.

I found that an immensely dumb idea. Monk has a lot of cool flavor and just deciding they don't get to do their really cool thing out of combat seemed silly. Heck, honestly? I'd rule they don't need to stop on a horizontally flat surface/holding something at the end of their turn. It just says you need to -keep- moving right? Most people don't really move much during combat so that sounds like incentive for the monk to just be on the move more.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Everyone plays flying monks and if you leave initiative, you die. Crank: the campaign baby.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Everyone plays flying monks and if you leave initiative, you die. Crank: the campaign baby.

:same:

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Uhhh hell yeah

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
Hell, I just found out during our Wednesday night game that you can take an Attack action, make one attack, take your Move action, then take your SECOND attack.

Four years of playing and I found this out when I watched a Monk bounce back and forth, just pinballing the gently caress out of a bunch of cross-bred orcs/bugbears. I'm amazed and the other players were just like "um, yeah..."

I'm playing a Fighter too. :doh:

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Moving isn't an action, you just do it man.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021
You can split your movement up as many times as you want between attacks.

You can move, take your first attack, move again, take your second, then move out.

I play a mobile rogue/barbarian. 50 speed, hits hard, can dash as a bonus action. Basically goes in, hits some stuff, comes out either outside of everything's melee range or deliberately threatening their rangers.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
That's because movement is no longer an action. It's like a progress bar that you drain whenever you move, but you can "drain" it in as many discrete steps as you like.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!

gradenko_2000 posted:

That's because movement is no longer an action. It's like a progress bar that you drain whenever you move, but you can "drain" it in as many discrete steps as you like.

Conspiratiorist posted:

Moving isn't an action, you just do it man.

Azza Bamboo posted:

You can split your movement up as many times as you want between attacks.

You can move, take your first attack, move again, take your second, then move out.

I play a mobile rogue/barbarian. 50 speed, hits hard, can dash as a bonus action. Basically goes in, hits some stuff, comes out either outside of everything's melee range or deliberately threatening their rangers.

...four years, man! Four years!

Celebrity Ghost
Sep 26, 2007

I'm late to Gnomechat but back when I was a dork who played Neverwinter Nights multiplayer, I played on a server where someone's version of Candlekeep was basically Renaissance Italy. "Tinker" types were around but had an eye towards art and religion on top of science, however most gnomes were focused on politicking their way up the social ladder. The city was run by 5 Borgia-style families and a handful of mobster ones. I always liked that concept and planned to wholesale steal it if the opportunity ever arised.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Also late to Gnomechat, I did kind of like them as a distinct flavor of fae creature instead of "more magical halflings" but whatever I kinda like gnomes in general. I also liked the way Eladrin worked out as definitely fae creatures related, but distinct from elves, instead of high elves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liquid Dinosaur
Dec 16, 2011

by Smythe
speaking of Italian gnomes, I think I’m almost ready to play my new character, an agent of the gnomish mafia.

My only concern is, what should my characters’ “ultimate goal” be? I’d be entering at level 10 (because it’s part two of a yearlong campaign, we just stopped a BBEG demon, and I wanted to make a new character), so I should probably have some extremely lofty ambition since I’m entering the upper echelons of player power.

I think I described him earlier when asking about feat selection, but it’s a kobold arcane trickster whose backstory is: an order of knights destroyed his village and killed their patron dragon, he escaped and learned Common and basic social skills from hobos, lived with stray cats in an alley behind a Gnomish restaurant, before being recruited into the Gnome mob, and apprenticed to a soldier who was magic, hence being an Arcane Trickster.

What would this little guy “want?” “Money and nice food” is my default idea, but I feel at high levels I have to think of something more ambitious. A SHITLOAD of money? Capo status? “I Degdeg, have a dream” to overthrow the boss and take over the family, like JoJo’s Bizarre Adventure (minus any opposition to selling kids drugs, I’m still Lawful Evil)?

What have other slightly magical thief/criminal types aspired to in other games? None of these really seem like they’d necessarily be succifiently grand for an adventurer of endgame, approaching level 20 status.

(One idea I had is, paying an archmage to cast True Polymorph on me for an hour straight to become a bona fide dragon?)