Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
There's something to be said for the diversion provided by walking a lone warlock engineer across the entirety of the western continents establishing undercities though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I know it's a balance thing but I wish the undercity cooldown was a few turns faster.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Is a Scar-Veteran on a carnosaur straight-up better than a unit carnosaur?

Edit: Playing as Kroq'gar on ME I'm finding it impossible to forge trade links with anyone except one group of nearby dwarves. Where can I find a port to capture?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:54 on May 30, 2019

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

I'm not sure about their base stats, but when you factor in the Scar Veteran being able to have magic items and level ups it will be for sure.

Tiler Kiwi
Feb 26, 2011
Usually when a unit gets a monster mount their base stats change to that unit... mostly. Often their stats are a bit better, particularly melee attack, defense, and leadership (sometimes they're worse than the base creature just to deny any sort of consistency on that front), not including whatever extra items they can now be packing. In SP they get the benefit of yellow skills so that can turn them into real freaks. In MP, they're still often really nasty since they often have better leadership than the base and quite a few skills are just ridiculously strong on certain critters. Noctilus on a necroflexing collossus for instance adds +25 leadership to the sucker, +15 missle resist, regen while in combat, and whatever his items do.

Carnosaurs are extra special in that the mounts don't have rampage.

Tiler Kiwi fucked around with this message at 11:07 on May 30, 2019

Choyi
Aug 18, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I know it's a balance thing but I wish the undercity cooldown was a few turns faster.

Just send an army to do it, they have no cooldown on undercities, it isn't proper skaven unless you're at war with 90% of the world afterall :D

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Just starting a Skaven campaign for the first time. What's the best strategy for Skaven campaign wise? Is it best to just only control a couple of provinces and undercity the rest? I read that too many cities is a bad idea due to the food cap but i also read that that isnt an issue anymore due to balance patches.

edit: on a seperate note, what mods are y'all running? I hear good things about SFO.

Just Chamber fucked around with this message at 14:27 on May 30, 2019

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

Once they nerfed undercities into the ground ( :haw: ) I think they could reduce it to 8 turns base, down from 10. Undercities are rear end now. Yes I know there is a mod to return the undercity mechanics to their original power, but I admit that they were a bit too good then. An official middleground would be nice.

Just Chamber posted:

Just starting a Skaven campaign for the first time. What's the best strategy for Skaven campaign wise? Is it best to just only control a couple of provinces and undercity the rest? I read that too many cities is a bad idea due to the food cap but i also read that that isnt an issue anymore due to balance patches.

edit: on a seperate note, what mods are y'all running? I hear good things about SFO.
I dont run any mods because I hate needing to wait for them to get updated or if the creator turns out to be a nazi or quits modding, and the mods are often unbalanced crap.

As for playing as Skaven... Food can be a problem, but the Undercity helps mitigate that. You earn your real cash from owning actual settlements. Settlements with Pastures can generate their own food and there is a commandment that generates some food. Also a certain building generates one food once it gets to level 4, I think? If you can build up a food surplus/get to the cap, you can capture settlements and immediately upgrade minor settlements to level 3 and majors to 4 or 5 (this gets easier once you have more settlements so your stockpile can be bigger so upgrading straight to 5 doesnt send you to the lowest level of food).

Plagueclaw Catapults are amazing and your friend. A common tactic is to take a major settlement and immediately upgrade it to level 3 (the highest you can afford to do early in the game, most likely), then build the building that lets you get Plagueclaws.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I have way more fun with skaven, pirate, and high elf agents just because it’s entertaining having your dude go on an epic journey around the map making bases/talking poo poo.

Also, I don’t think undercities are crap now. I’m only just doing an Ikit ME campaign and I didn’t play with them much before, but they are still really useful. I dropped the warlock lab, money, and both concealment buildings in Lothern since I doubt it will ever get razed, and otherwise I generally steal money and build concealment from places like Altdorf and Marienburg with food everywhere else. The occasional mineshaft to spread my poo poo. It seems pretty useful but requires some thought, not just food AND money everywhere which it seemed like before.

I haven’t nuked anywhere or spawned a vermintide yet but I figure those are supposed to just be fun gimmicks anyway rather than something to rely on.

And yeah I’d definitely blow your early food load to max out the first walled city you capture. Getting catapults and a warlock engineer makes early skaven armies sooo much better.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Hi, I'm playing a Skryre run with SFO Grimhammer, and on VH I find it a lot of fun because your units are extremely murderous and the AI has been tweaked enough that they will both declare war and come for you if you're hated enough, which they will if you're Skryre.

However, consider Grimhammer somewhat vanilla plus, in that it maintains the fast pace of combat while making killier units killier, to a particularly terrifying degree as Skaven. There's also a lot of new (usually lore-appropriate) stuff and a significantly harsher economy, which means that if you're playing the Skaven campaign for the first time, or are new to Warhammer, then maybe stick with vanilla plus some QoL mods first.

DrPop
Aug 22, 2004

Is it better to put Settra on a Warsphinx or the Chariot of the Gods in SP?

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Sphinx if you want to afk him, Chariot if you want to work for that infantry smoshing.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yeah I think the chariot can get more kills but it needs a lot more babysitting to do so.

Also, in campaign you will be sieging a lot and in the sphinx’s favour, it’s way better at just breaking down the gate and moshpitting all the poor schmucks on the other side

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa

The Lone Badger posted:

Is a Scar-Veteran on a carnosaur straight-up better than a unit carnosaur?

Edit: Playing as Kroq'gar on ME I'm finding it impossible to forge trade links with anyone except one group of nearby dwarves. Where can I find a port to capture?

my favorite Kroq army is him on Grimloq and 19 scar veterans on carnosaurs

fargom
Mar 21, 2007
Wow I had no idea that three kingdoms doesn't have traditional agents. Warhammer 1 was my first total war game and I just can't imagine playing without agent actions on the campaign map. Feels to me that the game would really lose a ton of depth without them. I would legit be crap at this game without the block army skill to catch up and kill enemies without spending ~10 turns chasing them through multiple provinces.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

fargom posted:

Wow I had no idea that three kingdoms doesn't have traditional agents. Warhammer 1 was my first total war game and I just can't imagine playing without agent actions on the campaign map. Feels to me that the game would really lose a ton of depth without them. I would legit be crap at this game without the block army skill to catch up and kill enemies without spending ~10 turns chasing them through multiple provinces.
Yeah it is an interesting idea to not have discreet agents on the map. I think they are a little spammy and slow the game down but I, too, could not imagine life without Steal Technology, Assault Garrison, Assault Units, or a few of the others.

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Life is better without them tbh. I don't miss agents at all.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

alex314 posted:

I legit did pushups during ME turns.
Given just how long the turn times are this sounds like a good way to get pretty drat jacked

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The only time I ever really used agents on the map was to assassinate the entire college of cardinals so I had my choice for pope. And then to assassinate the pope if he forgot who put him there.

In Warhammer, I only use them in armies. Maybe I should experiment beyond that.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Xae posted:

No agents either.

I have a sneaking suspicion that agents are a big factor in the end of turn times.

Throb has no agents and has really bad turn times

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I don't know what the context of this image is, but I like it

E: i also don't know why it won't show up, but I am going to blame radium

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Yeah it is an interesting idea to not have discreet agents on the map. I think they are a little spammy and slow the game down but I, too, could not imagine life without Steal Technology, Assault Garrison, Assault Units, or a few of the others.
You can still have characters who do things without having to move an animated little person there.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 4 days!
Agent actions are also a great way to level up the hero quickly. And many LLs get bonuses to upkeep /action cost /success chance.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

toasterwarrior posted:

Hi, I'm playing a Skryre run with SFO Grimhammer, and on VH I find it a lot of fun because your units are extremely murderous and the AI has been tweaked enough that they will both declare war and come for you if you're hated enough, which they will if you're Skryre.

However, consider Grimhammer somewhat vanilla plus, in that it maintains the fast pace of combat while making killier units killier, to a particularly terrifying degree as Skaven. There's also a lot of new (usually lore-appropriate) stuff and a significantly harsher economy, which means that if you're playing the Skaven campaign for the first time, or are new to Warhammer, then maybe stick with vanilla plus some QoL mods first.

Thanks, i'm definetly gonna check out SFO after this run as Skaven. Do you play VH/VH with SFO?

I've downloaded a few QOL mods:

Battle Chants - Units actually chant when marching etc, it sounds pretty cool and adds to the atmosphere of battle
Better Camera Mod - Think this lets you go lower with the camera, or its faster, i actually dont know it just got recommended somewhere
Skip Intro on start - Gets into the game faster
Better Trading - Makes trading better, I dont actually remember how.
Brighter Borders - The border lines were a bit faint imo

Also re: agents. I like using them, but it can get really annoying when the AI walks into your lands with a level 17 agent or whatever that you really cant do much about.

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

This one is unsolvable, isn't it?

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

cool av posted:

Wouldn't it just be the 2 red dots? The southwest/northeast corners are mirrors of each other with inverted colors so the northwest/southeast ones should be too :shrug:

cool av
Mar 2, 2013

I think

RB
BR

and
BR
RB

in the bottom-right corner both work? unless the colors work under different rules than normal sudoku

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

cool av posted:

It can be blue or red, yeah.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

How are my stationary armies getting ambushed?

The Lone Badger fucked around with this message at 12:15 on May 31, 2019

Nash
Aug 1, 2003

Sign my 'Bring Goldberg Back' Petition
Some races have a natural chance to ambush when they attack in their natural stance I believe. Skaven and beastmen, maybe Alith Anar the High Elf?

Theswarms
Dec 20, 2005
Agents got replaced with assignments which give you let you send a character to a region you control and give it bonuses depending on the characters skills and spies, which let you send characters to get information about enemies and do sneaky things.

It's so much better than agents.

The new retinue system means in romance mode you basically have heroes in your armies too and letting you use agents in your army is the best thing warhammer did with them.

Dramicus
Mar 26, 2010
Grimey Drawer
As someone who's been disabling agents through mods since Rome 2, I like the changes in ROTK.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS

Glenn Quebec posted:

Life is better without them tbh. I don't miss agents at all.

Eh.

The cool thing about agents is that they can be used in battle and for neat uses on the map when they're implemented in an innovative way. Part of the problem is that so many of them have been used for the generic "assassinate, sabotage, buff, or debuff" purpose since the early TW's.

Meanwhile Warhammer was finally getting around to understanding that they can do neat poo poo like establish secret cities, straight up suicide bomb the walls of fortified cities (skaven, hilariously enough), produce poo poo tons of undead lords, etc, etc.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

KPC_Mammon posted:

It can be blue or red, yeah.

This is weird, because to me looks like it cant possibly be anything but blue 2 dots. First thing my brain does automatically before even thinking is I fill in the red single dots to match the two existing ones, only blues on the diagonal checks out too. This lines up with all 1s are red, twos are either purple or blue, one of every color in a row (and I presume column without thinking further, dont bother with yellow at this point either.) Of course I have gotten these wrong before too, but I dont think it can ever be red in this case. Also I have no idea how to solve these and using my own made up logic entirely here?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Agents are loving garbage and it's some kind of miracle that they've finally abandoned the concept after a dozen games failing to make it work.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

cool av posted:

So which one was the answer?

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

Just Chamber posted:

Thanks, i'm definetly gonna check out SFO after this run as Skaven. Do you play VH/VH with SFO?

Oh, absolutely nah for VH battle difficulty, especially not in VH SFO where the AI gets enough economic boosts to field a lot of stacks. The stat boosts the AI gets in VH battle difficulty can throw balance insanely out of whack; I can attest to this for cases like vanilla Greenskins versus Dwarfs, which becomes a complete nightmare for the Greenskin player when the enemy Dwarfs' basic units get so much leadership that early game fights are insanely bullshit slogs of grinding down the beardy boys.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Are there any mods to give me feathery dinosaurs?

Xae
Jan 19, 2005

Archonex posted:

Eh.

The cool thing about agents is that they can be used in battle and for neat uses on the map when they're implemented in an innovative way. Part of the problem is that so many of them have been used for the generic "assassinate, sabotage, buff, or debuff" purpose since the early TW's.

Meanwhile Warhammer was finally getting around to understanding that they can do neat poo poo like establish secret cities, straight up suicide bomb the walls of fortified cities (skaven, hilariously enough), produce poo poo tons of undead lords, etc, etc.

At best agents are still right click and pray to rnjesus.

Even if the effect is interesting the game play is not.

Removing agents is the best park of 3K.

The Lord and Retinue system is the second.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Ravenfood posted:

You can still have characters who do things without having to move an animated little person there.
Yeah this occurred to me at some point haha. Based on what someone else said, it is something that is still there but handled differently.