Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

SA is much, much better than the rest of the internet.

Truth.

How do people become mods and admins on SA anyway? Not that I would want to do it, but I'm curious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

Truth.

How do people become mods and admins on SA anyway? Not that I would want to do it, but I'm curious.

Generally a need arises due to mods leaving or other problems, and then someone from the community is asked if they want to do it.

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

So nepotism?

I joke. But man we should have democracy up on SA!

That wasn't a dig beer, I would vote for you .

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

BoneMonkey posted:

So nepotism?

Feel free to ask Lowtax.

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ilor posted:

...coming to grips with the nuances in terminology can be pretty daunting.

Shouldn't be that hard for someone that's already used to learning rules language for games (or memorising 15,000 page fanwikis full of detailed pretend history) to remember to not use the "-ed" ending on this one word, or whatever other thing they've just found out about.

I mean, I'm not trying to say it's zero-effort but come the gently caress on, we're nerdgame fans. Someone who can play Advanced Squad Leader or have a detailed argument about Forgotten Realms sounds like they're faking it when they complain about how hard it is to remember not to say "going schizo".

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 04:43 on May 31, 2019

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

BoneMonkey posted:

But man we should have democracy up on SA!
This is such a bad idea lmao

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

BoneMonkey posted:

So nepotism?

That wasn't a dig beer, I would vote for you .

It's been tried before, but cliques are a thing, and part of how SA has stayed better moderated than say Reddit is that the admins are pretty good about keeping us from turning sub forums into our own little fiefdoms.

To bring it to the topic of the thread, that's part of why ZS' modus operandi didn't work here, and why D&D didn't turn into r/the_donald, because we don't let people start preaching white power or make constant bad faith arguments to brigade their posting enemies.

Goons are old, as internet communities go, and profoundly steeped in a weird combination of jaded gen-x cynicism and startling willingness to give a gently caress.

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

Elector_Nerdlingen posted:

Shouldn't be that hard for someone that's already used to learning rules language for games (or memorising 15,000 page fanwikis full of detailed pretend history) to remember to not use the "-ed" ending on this one word, or whatever other thing they've just found out about.

I mean, I'm not trying to say it's zero-effort but come the gently caress on, we're nerdgame fans. Someone who can play Advanced Squad Leader or have a detailed argument about Forgotten Realms sounds like they're faking it when they complain about how hard it is to remember not to say "going schizo".
Yeah and they'll gobble that poo poo up without any milk and pour themselves another bowl...if it's something that interests them or is something familiar and thus "natural" to them. I don't want to discount all of the masc, femme, LGBTQA, POC, nonbinary, Latinx, etc. people out there playing tradgames who are also humongous nerds. I'm talking specifically about the white cis ones.

Sometimes things are so new and different to what we know it's just like "whhhhhhhhhhhat" the first time you see it, like giving a D&D 5e fan a copy of Monsters and Other Childish Things and throwing them into the ORE deep end. It's easier to learn MAOCT if someone walks you through character creation and the rules, right? But. This is the thing: the fan of that system doesn't necessarily, like, owe you an education. Will they talk about their experiences with the system if you ask them? Likely yes as long as you're actually gonna have a chat and pull your own weight. A good way to understand without putting the burden of education on others (who, let's be real, are real god drat tired of having to explain their own existence in 2019 in this political climate) is the person learning about the system dooing their own legwork and learns more. A quick-start rules set for MAOCT pointed in their direction? Helpful! (translation: some people are actually making A Point to educate others, seek out their content and start from there if you're interested) Going out of your way to check out some one-shots other players have run and recorded? Incredibly helpful to learn more and experience the system as an observer. (translation: befriend people different from you and don't put the burden of education on them, just hang out and be with them and learn more from supporting them) Look at the other things that have similarities between systems and draw parallels from what you do get. (translation: intersectionality is a real thing and there's a lot of overlap between what you have actually experienced and know and what others know and meet them in the middle with that as a starting point to learning more; a big point of connection between poor racist white people and POC is that you can make the poor racist white people realize that the POC are being hosed over as hard economically as them)

But the sad fact of the matter is that these news and different things don't necessarily equate to "make the effort to learn" because they're unfamiliar to your lived-in experiences. Someone come out at your gaming table and you've been friends with them for years and want to keep being friends? That's your familiar in. If it doesn't make the monkey brain baste itself in serotonin to learn? It's gonna take a while and some effort to learn. And in that case it's absolutely on the uneducated to make a drat concentrated effort, especially when you're in certain zones (4chan tg) who have a certain...societal flavor that's built on, say, casually disregarding and discarding people different from you and assuming that the Default Player Model is a white straight male on the internet.

I will say this though: it's a journey of small steps but every along is worth it. You learn a ton about yourself, your biases and your incorrect notions along the way. You learn to play the game you know better because of introspection, which is hard and it hurts but it only leads to correcting problems and self improvement. Plus you make friends along the way. And you know what you can do with those friends? That's right: you can play tabletop games with them.

This incredibly tortured metaphor brought to you by SomethingAwful tabletop zone (F&F especially) helping me unlearn a lot of 4chan conditioning and putting me on the path of talking to people who weren't just white straight men after the 2016 election.

Cat Face Joe
Feb 20, 2005

goth vegan crossfit mom who vapes

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Feel free to ask Lowtax.

the last time this came up gbs seemed to think it was a great idea but then lowtax appeared and said "bigpeeler would have been a mod" and the thread died

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Cat Face Joe posted:

the last time this came up gbs seemed to think it was a great idea but then lowtax appeared and said "bigpeeler would have been a mod" and the thread died
It is, and I mean this sincerely, an astonishingly bad idea. Something Awful is not a country or a society, the principles of democratic governance don't apply here. In fact, neither do most of the principles of good governance. If we ran SA like a real government it would collapse almost immediately.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

FactsAreUseless posted:

It is, and I mean this sincerely, an astonishingly bad idea. Something Awful is not a country or a society, the principles of democratic governance don't apply here. In fact, neither do most of the principles of good governance. If we ran SA like a real government it would collapse almost immediately.
Ah but consider: We might be the ones to get the conch.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

FactsAreUseless posted:

Imagine if Twitter was a democracy.

I guess nothing would change.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Imagine if Twitter was a democracy.

I guess nothing would change.

Either the fascists or the decent people would be mass banned if it were a pure majoritarian vote, but, y'know, that might actually be better?
Either burn the thing down or purge the fash, either would produce a better Twitter than 'we don't admit we love the engagement-driving fascists, but we'll keep abetting them to juuuust within an inch of obviously being on their side' corporate management.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Joe Slowboat posted:

Either the fascists or the decent people would be mass banned if it were a pure majoritarian vote, but, y'know, that might actually be better?
Either burn the thing down or purge the fash, either would produce a better Twitter than 'we don't admit we love the engagement-driving fascists, but we'll keep abetting them to juuuust within an inch of obviously being on their side' corporate management.

I just assumed Trump would stay in power.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I just assumed Trump would stay in power.

I assume twitter voting would, for frequent platform users, have a better voting rate than the US national elections. Which is depressing, but, there it is.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Joe Slowboat posted:

I assume twitter voting would, for frequent platform users, have a better voting rate than the US national elections. Which is depressing, but, there it is.

Honestly I think American elections would vastly improve if we incorporated the Australian concept of Democracy Sausages.

That and compulsory voting.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Honestly I think American elections would vastly improve if we incorporated the Australian concept of Democracy Sausages.

That and compulsory voting.

Would Americans go absolutely apeshit over "my freedoms" not to vote if compulsory was ever tabled? Also we still end up with jackass dickheads with compulsory voting. I think you'd be surprised at the outcome if everyone in America cast a formal ballot.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

JBP posted:

Would Americans go absolutely apeshit over "my freedoms" not to vote if compulsory was ever tabled? Also we still end up with jackass dickheads with compulsory voting. I think you'd be surprised at the outcome if everyone in America cast a formal ballot.

Americans absolutely would go apeshit. Whatever the outcome, at least it would truly represent the attitudes of the country.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
I was going to jump in and say that the Arivia probation was kind of poo poo, but it already got reversed and Operant already posted to the thread to apologize and say he's gotten the uncomfortable language fixed, so I'm thankful it worked out on all ends.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Your book sounds awesome. Is it possible to get a copy with the Kickstarter over?

They said earlier this week that ("likely towards the end of this week") they hoped to have the backerkit for post-kickstarter purchases of the book in PDF and hardcopy form. The backerkit would be open through August for purchases.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

They could at the very least let people vote on the weekend. What the gently caress is that about. These days about 20% of Australians vote in the four weeks before polling day. It's really easy to get it done.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

JBP posted:

What the gently caress is that about.
Is this a sincere question? Genuinely asking.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

They could at the very least let people vote on the weekend. What the gently caress is that about. These days about 20% of Australians vote in the four weeks before polling day. It's really easy to get it done.

But then minorities and poors could vote and we can't have that now, can we. Also probably something to do with big money making something or other, that's why the entire tax preparation service exists and will not be changed within my lifetime.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

FactsAreUseless posted:

Is this a sincere question? Genuinely asking.

I get that it's meant to be a barrier to entry, but I'd like to know the historical context I guess. Was it always on a weekday or did some evil boffin decide to move it etc?

e: I can go harass dnd with this if it's going too far off topic

Two Beans
Nov 27, 2003

dabbin' on em
Pillbug

I mean, I still call tetrominos "tetrads" because that's what they were called in an old Nintendo Power article.

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.

I wasn't limiting my observation to gamers. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough, and I could see how it was implied given the topic of this thread. And yes, jargon-obsessed gamers should be an easy sell. It's harder for the "Aunt Karens" of the world - well meaning people who would be allies given the chance, but who often have little idea of how to even approach the topic.

But there's even hope there. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty shocked at how well my mom took it in hand to educate herself on trans developmental issues (once she got past the "your kid is only like this because you encourage it" bullshit, that is). My folks are pretty conservative (which is shocking, because they raised me to be tolerant of pretty much everything but intolerance), so seeing her do a 180-degree change in her thinking has been pretty amazing. She went from disapproving to a goddamn vocal advocate in a surprisingly short amount of time.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

I get that it's meant to be a barrier to entry, but I'd like to know the historical context I guess. Was it always on a weekday or did some evil boffin decide to move it etc?

It's on Tuesday because Monday would require people to travel on Sunday (can't have that) and Wednesday or Thursday would require people to miss market day. It hasn't changed because disenfranchising poor people is a desired outcome.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Booley posted:

It's on Tuesday because Monday would require people to travel on Sunday (can't have that) and Wednesday or Thursday would require people to miss market day. It hasn't changed because disenfranchising poor people is a desired outcome.
Yeah it's a voter suppression thing. And guess who argues strongest against any changes to the system? :thunk:

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Booley posted:

Wait you have to go home to vote?

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Um. Early voting is a thing in the States too. I don't think I've ever actually voted on election day itself.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

Safety Factor posted:

Um. Early voting is a thing in the States too. I don't think I've ever actually voted on election day itself.

OK cool. I knew there was postal, but some places only let you postal vote with evidence of being abroad.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

Wait you have to go home to vote?

You did in 1845 when the law was written that it would be the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. It hasn't changed since then. And it's still very difficult in many states to vote without actually being there.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

JBP posted:

OK cool. I knew there was postal, but some places only let you postal vote with evidence of being abroad.

Seriously speaking, I haven't voted in person in over a decade, I mail in my ballot in early. This in in Vermont and I have a few other extenuating circumstances so it may not be applicable to the rest of the US, it's a bit of a clusterfuck

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

JBP posted:

First Tuesday after a monday in November. Iirc it was based around farmers being in town with crops lmao, we haven't updated our system in nearly 250 years

Elector_Nerdlingen
Sep 27, 2004

Ilor posted:

I wasn't limiting my observation to gamers. Sorry if I didn't make that clear enough, and I could see how it was implied given the topic of this thread. And yes, jargon-obsessed gamers should be an easy sell. It's harder for the "Aunt Karens" of the world - well meaning people who would be allies given the chance, but who often have little idea of how to even approach the topic.

But there's even hope there. I'm not gonna lie, I was pretty shocked at how well my mom took it in hand to educate herself on trans developmental issues (once she got past the "your kid is only like this because you encourage it" bullshit, that is). My folks are pretty conservative (which is shocking, because they raised me to be tolerant of pretty much everything but intolerance), so seeing her do a 180-degree change in her thinking has been pretty amazing. She went from disapproving to a goddamn vocal advocate in a surprisingly short amount of time.

No, you were clear, I was responding specifically about gamers, is all.

I've had a bunch of success talking to older people about gender (my dad, for example, is in his 90s) just by pointing out how fantastically impolite it is to do anything other than follow along with what someone says they are. Not in a "it recently became impolite, there are new rules now" sense, but in that except for the past ~10 years, anyone being introduced to Mr. Smith and pulling "Are you sure? Shouldn't that be miss?" could expect to be punched the gently caress out at minimum, and the attacker would mostly be regarded as being in the right. And in any of the armed-society-is-a-polite-society societies we've had recently, that poo poo's fightin' words, or an insult that could not be borne, or however the language went that meant "well now that you've said something as impossibly rude as that, someone's gotta die".

Then segue into how it's only complicated if you're trying to keep track of who's "really" what, which is totally irrelevant in normal interactions*... "so if you're introduced to Amanda, she's Amanda, and if you're introduced to Andrew, he's Andrew, and if later on Amanda tells you that he's Andrew now, then he's Andrew now unless he says otherwise". If someone still doesn't get it, point out that most women still change half their name and their honorific when they get married (and back, sometimes! And then to something else later!) and nobody pretends that's confusing. Ms. Amanda Smith, now Mrs. Amanda Brown is exactly as complicated as Ms. Amanda Smith, now Mr. Andrew Smith.

It helps that I'm a friendly, obviously male (bearded, bald), "obviously" cis/het (in that I am married to a woman and have a kid) dude with no visible disabilities who helps them out mowing lawns, chopping firewood, lifting things, and other traditional male-role activities so these things are coming from someone "like them".

*So I don't have this talk with the pensioners but this part finishes "unless you're about to gently caress", and there's a bunch of poo poo that can be said about that but I'm sure we don't need to say it.

Elector_Nerdlingen fucked around with this message at 07:19 on May 31, 2019

BoneMonkey
Jul 25, 2008

I am happy for you.

FactsAreUseless posted:

My first post was a joke, if it's not broke don't fix it, and modding on SA is the best on the internet.

But I would like to hear more about your thoughts on this, why is SA (in this context) not like a society? Why do you think democracy works in countries but not on forums?

Do you think how SA is run could be applied to any other type of organisations?

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

BoneMonkey posted:

Do you think how SA is run could be applied to any other type of organisations?

The soviet union used similar methods of content moderation in an irl context.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Booley posted:

You did in 1845 when the law was written that it would be the Tuesday following the first Monday in November. It hasn't changed since then. And it's still very difficult in many states to vote without actually being there.

You still do in most states, and in more and more of them you have to show a current photo ID with your current address, and register ahead of time.

Absentee voting by mail is a thing, but said votes have a history of not being counted correctly if at all.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

You also, generally, have to go to the polling place assigned to your address. Like, if you go to the wrong high school, you won't be on their list of possible voters and will be turned away.

Slab Squatthrust
Jun 3, 2008

This is mutiny!

Mors Rattus posted:

You also, generally, have to go to the polling place assigned to your address. Like, if you go to the wrong high school, you won't be on their list of possible voters and will be turned away.

Yup, though in some states it's relaxed for early voting. There's also been moves at State and local levels to try and disenfranchise college voters by claiming they don't reside in their college town and must vote at home. Which is complete poo poo, but hey, can't have all those college students voting, we all know colleges are just institutions to corrupt the youth into libruls anyway!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

You still do in most states, and in more and more of them you have to show a current photo ID with your current address, and register ahead of time.

Absentee voting by mail is a thing, but said votes have a history of not being counted correctly if at all.

My entire state is vote by mail. I haven't been to an actual polling place in over a decade. It's great. It's not perfect (how do you mail an absentee ballot to someone who's homeless), but it's significantly better than forcing everyone to find time on a work day to vote.