Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
is there a thread for people that enjoy the game because i think they're scared to post here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

feel free to post one i’m sure the silent majority that love anthem but are spooked by mean posts will flock to it in droves

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
the guy who came in 3 months late to the party needs to find that one other person dumb enough to still be playing this

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
I’m enjoying it so far, I’m assuming there’s more to the map than what’s initially available (hopefully) but it’s been fun. I’m not super sure how loot distribution vs difficulty level works, but I don’t think I can play anything above hard right now anyway

One thing that I’m still trying to figure out is how freeplay works, it seems like you join someone else’s instance in which case it seems like there’s only room for four people in a lobby at a time (or at least I’ve only ever seen four people in the same freeplay lobby at once but that might be due to my level and difficulty) or it’s just a dead game, idk

Seems like it would be more fun with a higher number of players running around — maybe not unlimited but like sixteen or so — and limit strongholds or whatever to four. Maybe that’s how it was at launch and I missed out, idk

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
Eh I paid $20 for it if I can get some enjoyment out it to justify $20 I’m happy. I’m not expecting Destiny levels of longevity or replay ability but killing an hour by iron manning through the jungle is amusing so hey why not

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

i mean you said it yourself man i don’t know what you’re expecting here

Thumbtacks posted:

Toontown online has double the viewers anthem has lmao

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Thumbtacks posted:

I’m enjoying it so far, I’m assuming there’s more to the map than what’s initially available (hopefully)
I have bad news

quote:

One thing that I’m still trying to figure out is how freeplay works, it seems like you join someone else’s instance in which case it seems like there’s only room for four people in a lobby at a time (or at least I’ve only ever seen four people in the same freeplay lobby at once but that might be due to my level and difficulty) or it’s just a dead game, idk
both

quote:

Seems like it would be more fun with a higher number of players running around — maybe not unlimited but like sixteen or so... Maybe that’s how it was at launch and I missed out, idk
lol no

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Many games just don't have legs or a lasting audience. They die off and go into relative obscurity. That's normal.

Then you have Anthem which isn't even a complete vertical slice. I don't know why anyone is surprised it's doing the zombie shuffle.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Ok so they added (or are adding idk) fast travel points to the striders but does the game finally show you world events happening on the map if they're more than 10 feet away from you?

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

Cowcaster posted:

i mean you said it yourself man i don’t know what you’re expecting here

i did say that and it's still hilarious

i'm not SURPRISED im just curious as to how they intended it to work

i do usually get into freeplay lobbies with three other people, so that's nice

honestly it's not the best game but i haven't really had any glaring issues yet and most of the problems people have with the game seem to happen at endgame when you're stuck in queues to do GM3 strongholds or you're not getting loot that you want but i'm so far away from that that it's not my problem at all

Asema
Oct 2, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Loot in this looting game doesn't matter so once you get through the big barren plot you've basically done all you can do that's worth it.

Have you hit the point where they force you to go to the open world because they didn't know how to extend the game outside of forcing you to do certain things as some sort of trial yet

ZeeBoi
Jan 17, 2001

loot drop is bad

well I guess we'll just give everyone a hardcoded luck integer

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Remember when Bioware was cool & good and made D&D games like Baldurs Gate? Well they're definitely not making the third one.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
this wouldn't be a surprise even if Anthem and Andromeda were both good and popular, Bioware games have been very different from the style of Baldur's Gate for a long time

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President
I wouldn’t trust current BioWare to make Baldur’s Gate III. Can you imagine it? Pathetic Wheadonesque “clever” dialogue, cosplay considerations, gigglesquee, and colored ending choices.

Generic American
Mar 15, 2012

I love my Peng

Gigglesquee isn't half as bad as the people who keep bringing it back up after like ten loving years and think it's some sick burn. Oh boy, a grown woman awkwardly tried to use some internet lingo that one time while describing a conversation with her co-worker, please tell me more. :jerkbag:

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

Generic American posted:

Gigglesquee isn't half as bad as the people who keep bringing it back up after like ten loving years and think it's some sick burn. Oh boy, a grown woman awkwardly tried to use some internet lingo that one time while describing a conversation with her co-worker, please tell me more. :jerkbag:

Dragon Age 2 also looks like a masterpiece compared to Bioware today.

We all wish we could go back to poo poo Mountain at this point.

RottenK
Feb 17, 2011

Sexy bad choices

FAILED NOJOE
making GBS threads on Dragon Age 2, which is still a really bad game that deserves mockery, became less fun after learning about the torrent of abuse and harassment that unstable idiots poured on the devs, especially the women

some people get way too loving upset about bad videogames

thankfully making GBS threads on Anthem is still as fun as ever

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Honestly is anyone even really that desperate for Baldur’s Gate 3? Between Pillars of Eternity and Divinity it’s not like the die hard isometric rpg fans haven’t had fantastic options in the last few years

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

Honestly is anyone even really that desperate for Baldur’s Gate 3? Between Pillars of Eternity and Divinity it’s not like the die hard isometric rpg fans haven’t had fantastic options in the last few years

Nostalgia is the strongest drug in the world

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Gumball Gumption posted:

Nostalgia is the strongest drug in the world

Fentanyl is stronger. So is Delusion.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

ashpanash posted:

Fentanyl is stronger. So is Delusion.

idk it'd take a LOT of Fentanyl to make a modern remake of FF7 seem like a good idea

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

That's almost assuredly why WotC is pushing for it now. D:OS2 made a lot of loving money for its budget if its sales are anything to go by. If you want to have another swing at a profitable WRPG based off an older franchise, now is probably the best time you're gonna get.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Vermain posted:

That's almost assuredly why WotC is pushing for it now. D:OS2 made a lot of loving money for its budget if its sales are anything to go by. If you want to have another swing at a profitable WRPG based off an older franchise, now is probably the best time you're gonna get.

It turns out it’s a lot cheaper to pay a bunch of liberal arts majors for some good writing and visual design than it is to hire a team of programmers to wrestle Frostbite into submission

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

It turns out it’s a lot cheaper to pay a bunch of liberal arts majors for some good writing and visual design than it is to hire a team of programmers to wrestle Frostbite into submission

You could always... not use Frostbite?

Preechr
May 19, 2009

Proud member of the Pony-Brony Alliance for Obama as President

The Lone Badger posted:

You could always... not use Frostbite?

This asset appears not to be in alignment with our core values. Deploy the onboarding team for morale reinforcement.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Preechr posted:

This asset appears not to be in alignment with our core values. Deploy the onboarding team for morale reinforcement.

Onboarding Complete, shifting compatible Frostbite users to money-making platform: Codename FIFA.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Roman posted:

I just watched the livestream and this is what I remember:

- You know how a Battle Royale area shrinks and if you're caught outside you take damage? The entire map is like that by default.
- You can go to certain areas and shoot a thing which makes the area safe for a time and kill enemies in that
- The more areas you do that to, the more time you have to fight the main boss in their area

So basically the mysterious Cataclysm is a reverse PVE BR that gives you currency to buy stuff

Yay?

...Firefall?

Is that you?

(Firefall had the evil energy zone you had to manipulate to get to places, defend, run from - etc. Also had Jetpacks. Also was infinitely better than Anthem even while being broken and run into the ground by that Kern idiot.)

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

DarkDobe posted:

...Firefall?

Is that you?

(Firefall had the evil energy zone you had to manipulate to get to places, defend, run from - etc. Also had Jetpacks. Also was infinitely better than Anthem even while being broken and run into the ground by that Kern idiot.)

Hey now, Firefall came out first so this game is technically the clone.

BinaryDoubts
Jun 6, 2013

Looking at it now, it really is disgusting. The flesh is transparent. From the start, I had no idea if it would even make a clapping sound. So I diligently reproduced everything about human hands, the bones, joints, and muscles, and then made them slap each other pretty hard.

Wheeee posted:

Fair enough -- my review was the highest score they received, I believe: https://gamingtrend.com/feature/reviews/strong-alone-stronger-together-and-a-work-in-progress-anthem-review/

If you read the review instead of just looking at the score (an 80 at the time) you'll see that a lot of it was based on the promise of where it could go.

A page back but why the gently caress would you review a game like that

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider
Because he thinks reviews aren’t meant to inform consumers.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

BinaryDoubts posted:

A page back but why the gently caress would you review a game like that

And you are part of the problem I described as well. You've called me out as a liar for my honest opinion. I scored it based on about 40 hours of gameplay, which should be enough when combined with what looked like a reasonable roadmap ahead. I can't possibly play every game for 200 hours to explore every nook and cranny, and it's highly unrealistic to expect that unless this is the only thing I'm doing. I gave my honest opinion, based on the factors I listed. It was not pressured in any way, nor does it have anything to do with marketing or hype. I genuinely enjoyed some parts of the game, and I scored it accordingly. As I said in my review -- that score was a snapshot at launch. If I waited for the game to be "complete" it would never get a score. That's how games as a service work.

All of that said, it did make us sit down as a team and talk about how we review games like this in the future. If I was a shill as you are suggesting, would I bother? Would I come in here and talk through the process with all of you knowing it's just going to lead to more abuse? Nobody needs that in their life, but it's important to own up to your mistakes.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

fwiw it's also cheaper than buying the WotC license and writing with D&D restrictions

Gumball Gumption
Jan 7, 2012

Wheeee posted:

And you are part of the problem I described as well. You've called me out as a liar for my honest opinion. I scored it based on about 40 hours of gameplay, which should be enough when combined with what looked like a reasonable roadmap ahead. I can't possibly play every game for 200 hours to explore every nook and cranny, and it's highly unrealistic to expect that unless this is the only thing I'm doing. I gave my honest opinion, based on the factors I listed. It was not pressured in any way, nor does it have anything to do with marketing or hype. I genuinely enjoyed some parts of the game, and I scored it accordingly. As I said in my review -- that score was a snapshot at launch. If I waited for the game to be "complete" it would never get a score. That's how games as a service work.

All of that said, it did make us sit down as a team and talk about how we review games like this in the future. If I was a shill as you are suggesting, would I bother? Would I come in here and talk through the process with all of you knowing it's just going to lead to more abuse? Nobody needs that in their life, but it's important to own up to your mistakes.

You should just drop the numbers. Your review pretty honestly shows the flaws with the game and nothing you describe, even with the starry-eyed trust of the devs, really works out to an 80. Especially if that 80 is supposed to mean "great". Your review reads like the advice should be "don't buy it yet but wait and see if it gets good". Especially with you citing Destiny and Diablo 3 at the start. Both of those games were unfun and close to unplayable at launch and didn't get better until a year+ and they were both better then anthem at launch.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Worth A Buy does good reviews on YouTube because he rates everything with a thumbs up or thumbs down.

It's either worth buying or it's not.

If you're going to rip off a rating system that's not a bad one to use. It's what people ultimately want to know.

Edit - it occurs to me that if people want to buy Anthem t-shirts to wear "ironically" the window might be closing on that.

Not me though. I'd rather buy music band merch t-shirts.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 10:02 on May 31, 2019

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?

Asema posted:

Loot in this looting game doesn't matter so once you get through the big barren plot you've basically done all you can do that's worth it.

Have you hit the point where they force you to go to the open world because they didn't know how to extend the game outside of forcing you to do certain things as some sort of trial yet

I think this is the part where I stopped playing. What a dumb idea.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O6kRZr67AYw

(Laymen Gaming take)

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Scrub-Niggurath posted:

I care about BG3 because Larian is making it.

Good Dumplings
Mar 30, 2011

Excuse my worthless shitposting because all I can ever hope to accomplish in life is to rot away the braincells of strangers on the internet with my irredeemable brainworms.

Wheeee posted:

And you are part of the problem I described as well. You've called me out as a liar for my honest opinion.

blaming your customers is extremely bioware, I have to admit

Wheeee posted:

As I said in my review -- that score was a snapshot at launch. If I waited for the game to be "complete" it would never get a score. That's how games as a service work.

this is a sign you should've been honest and given it a low score instead of trying to please both the publisher and your readers, which always results in pissing both off. if you want the publisher's support that badly, just be dishonest and give a high score, you're only fooling yourself trying this halfway approach

Wheeee posted:

All of that said, it did make us sit down as a team and talk about how we review games like this in the future. If I was a shill as you are suggesting, would I bother? Would I come in here and talk through the process with all of you knowing it's just going to lead to more abuse? Nobody needs that in their life, but it's important to own up to your mistakes

if you're getting paid to do this, then listening to your customers is what a job is about, you're not going to make money pissing them off. if you're not getting paid to do this, then... you know, you don't have to listen to any of us, we'll poo poo on what you did because it feels dishonest but in this case we're not your customers, so you don't need to pay it any attention.

for future reference, snippy mic drop links should go to youtube music videos. tagb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogstile
May 1, 2012

fucking clocks
how do they work?
People are allowed to make mistakes and learn from them.