Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sarah
Apr 4, 2005

I'm watching you.

bulletsponge13 posted:

Yo, question for medico type goons. Had a knee replacement in Feb. Everything went well, kicking rear end at PT, that's all great. What isn't, is that every since the surgery nothing tastes right. I've read that it's not an uncommon side effect, but it's typically temporary. This has been going on since then, and doesn't seem temporary. Anyone else dealt with this? Should I expect this to be my life now?

Anesthesia can have that effect sometimes. It should wear off.

If it doesn’t in 2-3 months (I really don’t want to frighten you but you should know) look into what material your implant is made out of. There’s a really good documentary on Netflix called The Bleeding Edge about cobalt implants and the effect they had on patients.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
Yeah my dad had the same side effect after open heart surgery. Nothing tasted right for about 4 months, but he was hosed up and weak as poo poo from the surgery for about two of those months.

But yeah your taste buds should recover.

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

Could find anything directly about the topic in a quick search of journals, but I did find this:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26631478

Long-term pharmacologic blockade effects from analgesia sounds legit interesting to study.

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

All the stuff I found in my dirty searches showed it should have disappeared by now, but it loving sucks. Nothing I enjoy tastes like it did before.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
https://twitter.com/AdamWeinstein/status/1133214406639267841?s=19

Presented without comment.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

CE at the Deid had "Make the Deid Great Again" scrawled on poo poo all over the place, sometimes with Donnie's ugly bloated face. I didn't think it was worthwhile getting caught vandalizing a T barrier so I just ignored them for the most part.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Cenen posted:

Oh man I hate to spoil MRE chat but I remembered a good one. Just the entirety of how lovely medical equipment is in the military and how I’m surprised Al Udeid only had one AIDS scare.

My best man had a pretty impressive AIDS scare that is also a total military fuckup story. So he gets the call. And this is Desert Storm timeframe, so AIDS is still a death sentence.

And at the end of the call, after explaining he's got AIDS, he's gonna die, etc. etc...

"...sorry to have to break the news like this, Captain Smith."

"...wait. Captain Smith? I'm Sergeant Smith."

"...oh. Sorry, then. Have a good day."

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?
Edit: ^ :stare: :catstare:

Casimir Radon posted:

CE at the Deid had "Make the Deid Great Again" scrawled on poo poo all over the place, sometimes with Donnie's ugly bloated face. I didn't think it was worthwhile getting caught vandalizing a T barrier so I just ignored them for the most part.

Oh, so they're going to let the cadillacs go to hell again?

Cenen
Apr 7, 2011
Anyone ever figure out why vents and grates on Middle East military bases just loving glow ominously sometimes? The cadillac at the Kuwait Transit center had a glower, Al Udeid had at least a couple glowers and sometimes the vent in my room in the BPC would glow. At least for the one in the room we seriously tried every combination of lights in the rooms to recreate it but couldn’t. Don’t remember any glowing vents or grates in Iraq.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Godholio posted:

Edit: ^ :stare: :catstare:

Oh, so they're going to let the cadillacs go to hell again?
Ours had the water pump fail at one point. They didn't manage to get it closed until guys had filled every toilet with poo poo. It was down for at least a couple weeks. Which meant a quarter mile round trip to the next closest one every time you needed to piss. When you're drinking 6 bottles of water a day at a minimum that turns into a lot of trips.

The thermostat on my air conditioner broke so it was blasting the coldest air it could manage 24/7. I had a great time explaining to the idiot girl who CE had on phones pretty much any time I ever called that if it continued like that the whole unit was probably going to die, and I didn't want to be completely without a/c for a day or two. One of my friends ended up screaming at her over the phone later after one of the units on an equipment shelter failed and she couldn't be made to understand that it was an emergency.

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Cenen posted:

Anyone ever figure out why vents and grates on Middle East military bases just loving glow ominously sometimes? The cadillac at the Kuwait Transit center had a glower, Al Udeid had at least a couple glowers and sometimes the vent in my room in the BPC would glow. At least for the one in the room we seriously tried every combination of lights in the rooms to recreate it but couldn’t. Don’t remember any glowing vents or grates in Iraq.

djinn

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:

Cenen posted:

Privates looking for grid squares and flight line sneaking around like John McClane.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

ulmont posted:

My best man had a pretty impressive AIDS scare that is also a total military fuckup story. So he gets the call. And this is Desert Storm timeframe, so AIDS is still a death sentence.

And at the end of the call, after explaining he's got AIDS, he's gonna die, etc. etc...

That'll spice up your day

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

MrUnderbridge
Jun 25, 2011

Gives a whole new meaning to "Semper fi, mac!"

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

I saw a comment elsewhere from a neuroscientist who said she read PFC as "missing prefrontal cortex, which is the part of the brain responsible for decision making. still fits"

bulletsponge13
Apr 28, 2010

Necroposting- talked to the anesthesiologists today- they haven't a loving clue. The said the side effect is uncommon enough that there is very little literature. According to them, I am the longest suffering from what they found.
To whoever it was who said cobalt- my doc said it's all titanium and plastic in there.
I'm going to assume this is permanent. Which sucks pretty loving hard. But I'llhave working knees, so just chalk it up to cost of life.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

ulmont posted:

Not quite as bad, but I was in Heidelberg when the Army nurse called me. "Did you donate blood around XXX date?" Yeah, I think so. I always stop by the bloodmobile if I see one and have time. "Well, your blood tested positive for Hepatitis C." Uhhh.. Come again?

Over the course of a five minute conversation she eventually tells me that they did a wide-spectrum test, and it was just as likely that I had a cold that day that would give a false positive. Why she wouldn't explain that before telling someone they've got hepatitis is a testament to military bedside manner. I ended up going in to get a specific hepatitis test, which came back expectedly negative about a week later. Several weeks later I get a letter from the blood bank in Germany saying I can no longer donate blood because the Army never bothered to send the negative results back to them.

But surprise, the real idiot in the story is me. Because I was in an absolute panic the entire phone call since a few weeks prior to donating blood I'd had a regretful, unprotected drunken threesome with my wife and the fat German chick who lived next door.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Wild T posted:

Not quite as bad, but I was in Heidelberg when the Army nurse called me. "Did you donate blood around XXX date?" Yeah, I think so. I always stop by the bloodmobile if I see one and have time. "Well, your blood tested positive for Hepatitis C." Uhhh.. Come again?

Over the course of a five minute conversation she eventually tells me that they did a wide-spectrum test, and it was just as likely that I had a cold that day that would give a false positive. Why she wouldn't explain that before telling someone they've got hepatitis is a testament to military bedside manner. I ended up going in to get a specific hepatitis test, which came back expectedly negative about a week later. Several weeks later I get a letter from the blood bank in Germany saying I can no longer donate blood because the Army never bothered to send the negative results back to them.

But surprise, the real idiot in the story is me. Because I was in an absolute panic the entire phone call since a few weeks prior to donating blood I'd had a regretful, unprotected drunken threesome with my wife and the fat German chick who lived next door.

:distonk:

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

Wild T posted:

loving dusted

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u
That is so loving army it hurts and I love it

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Wild T posted:

The shot and the chaser in one go.

Arcella
Dec 16, 2013

Shiny and Chrome

bulletsponge13 posted:

Necroposting- talked to the anesthesiologists today- they haven't a loving clue. The said the side effect is uncommon enough that there is very little literature. According to them, I am the longest suffering from what they found.
To whoever it was who said cobalt- my doc said it's all titanium and plastic in there.
I'm going to assume this is permanent. Which sucks pretty loving hard. But I'llhave working knees, so just chalk it up to cost of life.

Have you tried eating foods you don't like? Maybe boiled cabbage or something tastes really good now.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I have heard that miracleberries can sometimes help with weird taste disturbances from chemo, so maybe they'd help with other taste sensation fuckups? Dunno if it's at all the same mechanism but you might want to try them.

Even if it doesn't work, at least the 'turns sour into sweet' effect will let you gently caress with everyone else's sense of taste

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Wild T posted:

You certainly have a way with words.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Wild T posted:

You have taken the story in a direction the thread was not expecting!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I'm banned for life from donating to the local blood bank because they think I have Hep B. The military says I don't, and the blood screen I had at my civilian clinic says I don't. I got a letter from a nurse practitioner at the latter that says I don't have it, and they don't care.

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

Wild T posted:

:laffo:

I did not expect that ending.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm banned for life from donating to the local blood bank because they think I have Hep B. The military says I don't, and the blood screen I had at my civilian clinic says I don't. I got a letter from a nurse practitioner at the latter that says I don't have it, and they don't care.

I'm banned for life because of stuff I did in Germany.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

joat mon posted:

One of the guys from my shop had spent enough time in Germany to qualify for the ban. But every drill that the blood bank was there he'd go fill out the questionnaire, get his juice and Fog Newtons, and inform everyone that "The vampires don't want my blood".

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

joat mon posted:

I'm banned for life because of stuff I did in Germany Singapore.

FTFY

Godholio
Aug 28, 2002

Does a bear split in the woods near Zheleznogorsk?

That's the perfect response. JFC.

Edit: Banned for life because I lived in England for a while.

Steezo
Jun 16, 2003
Now go away, or I shall taunt you a second time!

Going through old pictures, wanted to point out that we all know that someone who was why this sign existed. BIAP I think, around 2010.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Page 349 of Command and Control:

https://books.google.com/books?id=l...g%20lsd&f=false

A fully loaded MIG landed at Homestead AFB completely unchallenged, on a runway near Air Force One, because the people manning the AA systems and radar were too busy doing LSD and smoking weed in the silo itself. The MIG was a Cuban defector, but nobody noticed him until after he’d landed.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Icon Of Sin posted:

A fully loaded MIG landed at Homestead AFB completely unchallenged, on a runway near Air Force One, because the people manning the AA systems and radar were too busy doing LSD and smoking weed in the silo itself. The MIG was a Cuban defector, but nobody noticed him until after he’d landed.

Enlisted in Vietnam: fragging their officers.

These magnificent bastards: pass the joint and gimme another lick of that stamp.

Wild T
Dec 15, 2008

The point I'm trying to make is that the only way to come out on top is to kick the Air Force in the nuts, beart it savagely with a weight and take a dump on it's face.

joat mon posted:

I don't think they're allowed to turn you away for butt stuff anymore

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT

Icon Of Sin posted:

It was loving Nixon dude.

If I was confronted with my commander in chief being a loving idiot rear end in a top hat in the flesh, and someone offered the numbness of weed and the clarity of LSD, I would be reflecting heavily with them in the silence of a silo, as well.

Which is secret reason Numero Uno that I did not sign up another few years of Army

Wasabi the J fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Jun 1, 2019

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Wasabi the J posted:

Which is secret reason Numero Uno that I did not sign up another few years of Army

Dude it's OK it doesn't have to be a secret. We all float down here.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I just meant I actually considered reenlistment.

Like a loving idiot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
It's okay, we all hear the call of the void sometimes