Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

coconono posted:

Sandman in WCW was a fever dream.
Of course it was. There was no Sandman in WCW. You must be thinking of Hak, excuse me, Hardcore Hak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

frankenfreak posted:

Of course it was. There was no Sandman in WCW. You must be thinking of Hak, excuse me, Hardcore Hak.

I'd make fun of WCW for that name but 1)Hak is apparently Sandman's nickname backstage going back to ECW, and 2)He chose the name himself

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

To be fair, what name would you have given him? Even if he gets to keep the name Sandman, he wouldn't be able to use the song in WCW, and we saw how that went when he was in New ECW for like 5 minutes.

finalcake
Oct 5, 2002

CHESTO~!!
I still remember the whole angle where Kanyon exposed Raven as a spoiled rich kid, and they ran a bunch of vignettes that showed him with his family. This was also how they debuted Sandman, clean-cut and sober, it was weird and awesome.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=96stndsnkH0

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I'd make fun of WCW for that name but 1)Hak is apparently Sandman's nickname backstage going back to ECW, and 2)He chose the name himself

The best part of Sandman in WCW was his return to ECW where the Arena exploded at the sound of that song.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

I remember seeing his wrestle still wrapped in barbed wire and thinking "this isn't real. the weird fuckin chemicals in my brain are making this up and I'm actually staring at a blank wall."

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Aku posted:

I still remember the whole angle where Kanyon exposed Raven as a spoiled rich kid, and they ran a bunch of vignettes that showed him with his family. This was also how they debuted Sandman, clean-cut and sober, it was weird and awesome.

For some reason I like this sort of thing in wrestling. I will go down swinging defending the RTC because I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

Pope Corky the IX posted:

For some reason I like this sort of thing in wrestling. I will go down swinging defending the RTC because I thought it was absolutely brilliant.

This was great and raven is amazing. Put raven in charge of the 24/7 title.

Did Marc mero wrestle in wcw the last year. He was in the front row of the arquette thunder for tank abbot to pick a fight with. He lived in Syracuse when he was a wrestler so that might be the only reason he was there.

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

The American Dream posted:

This was great and raven is amazing. Put raven in charge of the 24/7 title.

Did Marc mero wrestle in wcw the last year. He was in the front row of the arquette thunder for tank abbot to pick a fight with. He lived in Syracuse when he was a wrestler so that might be the only reason he was there.

Nah nothing happened but Sable did, I think, an earlier appearance too.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
Chris Candido at least stuck around long enough to see Terry Funk almost get killed by a horse.

Saucer Crab
Apr 3, 2009

Aku posted:

This whole series of stuff was pretty great, and Kanyon's flip into the pool was classic.

mactheknife
Jul 20, 2004

THE JOLLY CANDY-LIKE BUTTON

Hedgehog Pie posted:

Chris Candido at least stuck around long enough to see Terry Funk almost get killed by a horse.

you fuckin horse! i'll kick your rear end!

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Sandman is a better actor than I expected.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I’m not, how many times has he had to act sober in court to avoid losing custody of his kids?

joshtothemaxx
Nov 17, 2008

I will have a whole army of zombies! A zombie Marine Corps, a zombie Navy Corps, zombie Space Cadets...
I have been watching a lot of Asylum years TNA on Pluto. It is surprised at how it’s essentially identical to late WCW just with fewer mainstream stars and fewer fans. Same disinterested crowd though. And some of the wrestling is actually kinda good!

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

joshtothemaxx posted:

I have been watching a lot of Asylum years TNA on Pluto. It is surprised at how it’s essentially identical to late WCW just with fewer mainstream stars and fewer fans. Same disinterested crowd though. And some of the wrestling is actually kinda good!

I was *very* active in the online wrestling scene after WCW died and even I didn't know anything about TNA until 2005-ish when I was flipping through channels and saw Billy Gunn debuting on Fox Sports Impact

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
From what I've seen, I'm going to throw out the sick take that Russo as an onscreen character in early TNA is actually worse than Russo as an onscreen character in WCW.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Hedgehog Pie posted:

From what I've seen, I'm going to throw out the sick take that Russo as an onscreen character in early TNA is actually worse than Russo as an onscreen character in WCW.

So much worse. The segment with Athena is some of the most vile stuff in wrestling history. And I am not forgetting him keeping Liz on a leash in WCW.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

MassRafTer posted:

So much worse. The segment with Athena is some of the most vile stuff in wrestling history. And I am not forgetting him keeping Liz on a leash in WCW.

Remember around the late 00s when Russo claimed the TNA Knockouts would say whore, skank, bitch, slut etc in promos independently. And then when he left they stopped?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I don't know who supervised Russo in WCW, but I automatically assume they were smarter than Dixie Carter.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't know who supervised Russo in WCW, but I automatically assume they were smarter than Dixie Carter.
even if the answer is “no-one”,

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

MassRafTer posted:

I have read so much about wrestling, I have listened to so many old observer radios and read the death of WCW. How have I never heard of this happening?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

MassRafTer posted:

So much worse. The segment with [b]Athena[/] is some of the most vile stuff in wrestling history. And I am not forgetting him keeping Liz on a leash in WCW.

Is that the Raven one where he threatens to bleach her throat or is the a different thing I'm missing

Also, same on the Liz thing, I might have been checked out on WCW by then, did that last for a while?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Is that the Raven one where he threatens to bleach her throat or is the a different thing I'm missing

Also, same on the Liz thing, I might have been checked out on WCW by then, did that last for a while?

The Liz stuff lasts about a month, eventually her and Luger walk out on the company sometime in May over the poo poo they were making her do. A lot of it was because she had a big deal and they were trying to get her to quit.

Eventually WCW releases her but not Luger and he comes back in November.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

No this is the one where the Biking Enthusiasts beat her up.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
The arquette episode is when Russo declares he owns Liz because of her contract to wcw. It’s at the end of ric flair screaming for 5 minutes at Russo, buff and franchise.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Liz vs Meng is an all time depressing match that I probably laughed at when it aired.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I just read that the instrumental version of "Far from Over" by Frank Stallone was used as the theme for Starrcade for most of the 80s. I'm trying to decide if that's better or worse than WWF using the instrumental version of "Obsession" by Animotion as the theme for Saturday Night's Main Event during the same time.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
This is the best PPV theme by far

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qkOfCH0xl8

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

nah

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ivLE2tABulU

spongeh
Mar 22, 2009

BREADAGRAM OF PROTECTION
I don't have anything to add besides noticing that they're wearing a shirt containing a big square photo of them wearing NWO shirts, and this seems like the antithesis of cool.

And then later on they seemingly had a shirt with a photo of themselves wearing the original shirt with the photo of themselves?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

spongeh posted:

I don't have anything to add besides noticing that they're wearing a shirt containing a big square photo of them wearing NWO shirts, and this seems like the antithesis of cool.

And then later on they seemingly had a shirt with a photo of themselves wearing the original shirt with the photo of themselves?

ITT we learn the Outsiders have a time machine and became big Orange Cassidy fans

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

spongeh posted:

This is the best outsiders shirt. The only thing even close is the one that just says outsiders on it.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
drat, that's meta. The Outsiders were the OK Soda of tag teams.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANKljb1p-Q

You would never have thought the original was a seal song

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle

Adaptabullshit posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MANKljb1p-Q

You would never have thought the original was a seal song

its one of those things in my mind that, like, of course i know that seal must have had hair at some point but i refuse to really believe it.

also ya that was one of wcw's more blatant ripoffs. and they had some doozies.

Asteroid Alert
Oct 24, 2012

BINGO!

shiksa posted:

its one of those things in my mind that, like, of course i know that seal must have had hair at some point but i refuse to really believe it.

also ya that was one of wcw's more blatant ripoffs. and they had some doozies.

The tone is completely different. WCW version has a sinister undertone to it while Seal has a hopeful one.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Imagine if they got David Duchovny instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

WILD CARD rule BITCHES YEEEEE HAW