Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Promoted Pawn
Jun 8, 2005

oops

peer posted:

adams would be an insufferable twitter atheist if he was still alive. bullet dodged

It’d be worth it if we got any more non-fiction from him along the lines of “Last Chance to See”.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Cleretic posted:

I actually liked that ending, because on one hand it's a cheap, simple gag, but if you actually know the Hitchhiker's Guide books there's extra meaning to it. Marvin doesn't actually say they're going the 'wrong way', but he does say that it's at the 'other end' of the universe. Which is right for describing their mistake; Milliways isn't at the spatial end of the universe, it's at the chronological end, so physically flying there doesn't do much.

Also in the books they ask Eddie to take them to the nearest place to eat, and he does - the Restaurant at the End of the Universe was built on Magrathea, so technically they're already there. But I don't quite think the gag lands when you know that if they were going to the other end of the universe they'd actually be going to the Big Bang Burger Bar.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

Cleretic posted:

I actually liked that ending, because on one hand it's a cheap, simple gag, but if you actually know the Hitchhiker's Guide books there's extra meaning to it. Marvin doesn't actually say they're going the 'wrong way', but he does say that it's at the 'other end' of the universe. Which is right for describing their mistake; Milliways isn't at the spatial end of the universe, it's at the chronological end, so physically flying there doesn't do much.

In a movie full of poor attempts at matching or changing Adams' humor, that single sentence is one that I could feel actually got it right.
Yeah but all the audience sees is that the HoG is driving in a certain spatial direction. So they would have no reason to assume Marvin is referring to chronological direction. And this grated on my teen brain because I was addled with being a massive Adams fanboy and "the normies don't get the gag! the movie did not give a fuuuck about Adams' humour so much that they literally let the normie audience think Milliways is at a certain spatial end of the universe."

Which is- ugh, I was a teenager so meh. But I still hold the movie watered down the acute specific humour of HHs in order to appeal to a more general audience. Like another poster said, the movie was all "look at how quirky this galaxy is!" as oppose to "this universe might seem loving weird but actually the humans are the weird ones and you *points to audience* are just as, if not more, as weird as you judge the HH galaxy so just shut up and roll with it, frood." I mean they literally casted 2005 Zoey Deschanel. It was manic pixie dream galaxy and its fine because we finally got a HH movie but bleh. I guess add this IP to the box labeled would make great netflix miniseries but we did have a movie so

e:To add PYF. 81 marvo in the 2005o movie:

Lampsacus has a new favorite as of 13:13 on May 28, 2019

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

I can't recall if they actually got David Learner back to do the suit. I don't think they did.

Learner has a funny story about him meeting the slightly more famous David in a suit on the H2G2 set - a certain Mr Prowse. Having voiced Marvin himself in the stage show but been dubbed by Stephen Moore for the series and now meeting Darth Vader for the very first time, he decided to bond over their shared experience and asked Prowse why he thought he had been dubbed over in Star Wars. Prowse replied:

"Oi 'onestly couldn't say."

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Lampsacus posted:

"the normies don't get the gag! the movie did not give a fuuuck about Adams' humour so much that they literally let the normie audience think Milliways is at a certain spatial end of the universe."

Douglas Adams did the same thing, that's why it's funny. He lets the reader think that the characters are referring to the spatial end of the universe until it is revealed in the next book that they're going to the chronological end of the universe. The only thing it's missing is the punchline, and you can blame the mediocre box office for that.

Lampsacus
Oct 21, 2008

RandomFerret posted:

Douglas Adams did the same thing, that's why it's funny. He lets the reader think that the characters are referring to the spatial end of the universe until it is revealed in the next book that they're going to the chronological end of the universe. The only thing it's missing is the punchline, and you can blame the mediocre box office for that.
Oh yeah I forgot he did that. Speaking of ill made adaptions, I rewatched World War Z yesterday and my god that movie. I wish I could say I caught a subtle movie moment but there were none.

Hm, oh here is one! I also recently rewatched Before Sunrise (1995) and when Vienna is being montaged at the end you have a lil subtle moment. When they show the park, you see in the corner of the screen an empty wine bottle and two empty glasses.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

World War Z really deserves a limited anthology series.
Just make ~12 thirty to forty minutes episodes and stop before you even think about getting Walking Dead fatigue.

Kanine
Aug 5, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lampsacus posted:

Oh yeah I forgot he did that. Speaking of ill made adaptions, I rewatched World War Z yesterday and my god that movie. I wish I could say I caught a subtle movie moment but there were none.

Hm, oh here is one! I also recently rewatched Before Sunrise (1995) and when Vienna is being montaged at the end you have a lil subtle moment. When they show the park, you see in the corner of the screen an empty wine bottle and two empty glasses.

world war z definitely ratcheted up the overt zionism to 11

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

Inzombiac posted:

World War Z really deserves a limited anthology series.
Just make ~12 thirty to forty minutes episodes and stop before you even think about getting Walking Dead fatigue.

You should watch Black Summer on Netflix, it's basically this

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I hadn't heard of that before. Thanks.

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

No problem. We stumbled onto it, and were pleasantly surprised

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

oh poo poo that show apparently takes place in the same universe as Z Nation, which also rules

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

Watched Snowpiercer.

The surface of the story does a relatively good job of trying to frame the revolution as a not particularly good ethical endeavour. However, I feel like the movie has a very different feel if you presume that Wilford lies the entire time he's on screen.

Because he's intelligent and articulate, and because Curtis falls for it, the movie makes you think that he's right on some level, but in those final scenes there are clues that his whole persona is based around lies. He even lies openly when he talks about how lonely and noisy living in the train is. I don't believe his story about John Hurt's character because there's very little evidence for it but because Curtis believes it, the viewer believes it too. John Hurt telling him to cut his tongue out as soon as he sees him comes off as him trying to protect himself, but I personally feel like it was more a 'if he gets to talk to you, he will charm you and you will fool for his lies' situation.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I never noticed that the adrenaline shot scene in Pulp Fiction is a direct beat by beat re-enactment of a story that the gun dealer dude in Taxi Driver tells.

EDIT:

My bad. Not from Taxi Driver. From an unreleased 1978 doc that Scorcese made

quote:

How the ‘Pulp Fiction’ Adrenaline Shot Scene Was Inspired by Scorsese’s ‘Lost Film’ — Watch
A new video shows how Tarantino lifted the famous scene from a story told in Scorsese's never-released documentary, "American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince."

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/pulp-fiction-overdose-scene-scorsese-tarantino-watch-1201773966/

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 14:07 on May 31, 2019

Torquemada
Oct 21, 2010

Drei Gläser

BiggerBoat posted:

I never noticed that the adrenaline shot scene in Pulp Fiction is a direct beat by beat re-enactment of a story that the gun dealer dude in Taxi Driver tells.

Not sure how I missed that considering how many times I've seen both films

I must have missed this, because I only remember him in that one scene where Travis buys the four guns and ends with Andy offering him a Cadillac for two grand. Where in the movie does this happen?

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Amphigory posted:

You should watch Black Summer on Netflix, it's basically this

And it's really good until the last episode, good lord it's so goddamn stupid in every concievable way

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Torquemada posted:

I must have missed this, because I only remember him in that one scene where Travis buys the four guns and ends with Andy offering him a Cadillac for two grand. Where in the movie does this happen?

Not sure. I just listened to a podcast on Taxi Driver and they played it.

Whoops! I stand corrected. It wasn't from TD, it was from a "lost film" Scorcese did. Explains why I don't remember it

quote:

In 1978, Martin Scorsese shot a documentary called “American Boy: A Profile of Steven Prince” about his friend, a former Neil Diamond roadie and drug-addict best known for playing the small role of Easy Andy in “Taxi Driver.” Considered Scorsese’s “lost film,” the documentary was never released, though it lived on in bootleg copies.

In it, Scorsese interspersed home videos of Prince’s childhood with his narrations of his wild stories, including a particularly outrageous one about the time he plunged an adrenaline shot into the heart of a girl who had overdosed on heroin. The scene was made famous by Quentin Tarantino’s “Pulp Fiction,” and Prince also tells the story in Richard Linklater’s “Waking Life.”

https://www.indiewire.com/2017/01/pulp-fiction-overdose-scene-scorsese-tarantino-watch-1201773966/

Electrical Fire
Mar 29, 2010

Greggster posted:

And it's really good until the last episode, good lord it's so goddamn stupid in every concievable way

Subtle moment in the last episode: At the end they clearly go through the doors to the Saddledome and then come out in the football stadium on the other side of the city. Not actually that interesting but I had no idea the show was shot in and around Calgary until that last episode

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
Should have them using the +15s to move around. Growing food in the devonian gardens

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
Did they ever loving reopen those?

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
I don't know. I don't live there. I do have a thing for urban development though especially parks and stuff and that's how I first heard of them. I think they did though.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I finally got around to watching the first John Wick movie (got a double-feature dvd with both movies a few weeks ago) and liked how, for the final showdown, Vigo is pretty much just playing around. Still fighting as hard as he can, but knows he's not going to win, so he's just having the time of his life, like when John starts side-swiping his car he's just laughing yelling "Good shot!" and when his final bodyguard is trying to find a weapon he offers him his own gun and briefly plays keepaway with it for a few seconds, and clowns on him by not letting go of the gun initially, before leaving him with a "Good luck!" He's just come so far past fear he's come out the other side into giddy euphoria.

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

It's also total bullshit.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

It's also total bullshit.

That much I did know.

I found the scene that inspired Quentin (or that he stole) if anyone cares and it WAS the same actor anyway who played the Taxi Driver gun dealer. When I heard the audio, it was from a Taxi Driver podcast that I was half listening to at work so I was wondering how the gently caress I missed that scene and figured it must've been an outtake from the gun buying part or something.

I'd never heard of "American Boy" before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaihExmmJg

whoa. Here's the whole movie. Who the gently caress is Steven Prince and why does he warrant a documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAfHRnNQIc

BiggerBoat has a new favorite as of 19:30 on Jun 2, 2019

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
American Boy is pretty good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_M8YaozPDE

Pussy Quipped
Jan 29, 2009

BioEnchanted posted:

I finally got around to watching the first John Wick movie (got a double-feature dvd with both movies a few weeks ago) and liked how, for the final showdown, Vigo is pretty much just playing around. Still fighting as hard as he can, but knows he's not going to win, so he's just having the time of his life, like when John starts side-swiping his car he's just laughing yelling "Good shot!" and when his final bodyguard is trying to find a weapon he offers him his own gun and briefly plays keepaway with it for a few seconds, and clowns on him by not letting go of the gun initially, before leaving him with a "Good luck!" He's just come so far past fear he's come out the other side into giddy euphoria.

Pretty sure he’s also just been ripping on joints the last 3rd of the movie. But yeah it’s awesome and John wick owns.

Gejimayu
Mar 4, 2005
spaz

BiggerBoat posted:

That much I did know.

I found the scene that inspired Quentin (or that he stole) if anyone cares and it WAS the same actor anyway who played the Taxi Driver gun dealer. When I heard the audio, it was from a Taxi Driver podcast that I was half listening to at work so I was wondering how the gently caress I missed that scene and figured it must've been an outtake from the gun buying part or something.

I'd never heard of "American Boy" before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zTaihExmmJg

whoa. Here's the whole movie. Who the gently caress is Steven Prince and why does he warrant a documentary?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFAfHRnNQIc

The good news for you is that there's a whole other documentary about this documentary too! So maybe you can get that question answered. I believe it's called American Prince

Gejimayu has a new favorite as of 21:13 on Jun 2, 2019

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

BiggerBoat posted:

That much I did know.
If you want an accurate cinematic depiction of a heroin OD, Trainspotting's is actually pretty spot-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IDJpB9de3E&t=238s

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
John Wick 2 was surprisingly funny, like the moments where John and Cassian are falling together down a comically long set of stairs, and just keep tossing each other further down, or when they smash right into the Continental and the fight is forced to end. Generally, all the moments of wick and someone who was previously trying to kill him were pretty funny.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"

Fatty Crabcakes posted:

If you want an accurate cinematic depiction of a heroin OD, Trainspotting's is actually pretty spot-on.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_IDJpB9de3E&t=238s

I don't know if it's subtle but I love the shot of the inside of the needle with all the little bits of dirt or whatever inside it.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

It wasn't subtle at all but this thread has also served as a catch-all for neat little things movies do

I loved how they animated Ghidorahs heads in the newest movies.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Len posted:

It wasn't subtle at all but this thread has also served as a catch-all for neat little things movies do

I loved how they animated Ghidorahs heads in the newest movies.

Different mocap actually for each head, right?

Patattack
Nov 23, 2008

The English Language!

Lampsacus posted:

Ooh, I've got one! Peter Capaldi plays an unnamed scientist at the World Health Organization, and in the credits is listed as simply "W.H.O. Doctor". At the time World War Z was released, Capaldi had been cast (but not yet announced) as the next Doctor in Doctor Who.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Reminded that the stormtrooper in The Force Awakens that Rey tricks into releasing her from very James Bond-esque bondage is played by Daniel Craig.

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Reminded that the stormtrooper in The Force Awakens that Rey tricks into releasing her from very James Bond-esque bondage is played by Daniel Craig.

His stormtrooper name was JB-007, too.

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

mojo1701a posted:

His stormtrooper name was JB-007, too.

That would have been great, but it sadly doesn’t seem to be the case. Here’s hoping they Lucas it and retcon.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Patattack posted:

Ooh, I've got one! Peter Capaldi plays an unnamed scientist at the World Health Organization, and in the credits is listed as simply "W.H.O. Doctor". At the time World War Z was released, Capaldi had been cast (but not yet announced) as the next Doctor in Doctor Who.

The entire movie is basically trying to hide the fact that Brad Pitt's character is actually the horsemen Death, and that's why everything goes to poo poo when he's involved.

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The entire movie is basically trying to hide the fact that Brad Pitt's character is actually the horsemen Death, and that's why everything goes to poo poo when he's involved.

They do a really good job covering for the fact that Brad is illiterate.

Greggster
Aug 14, 2010

Nth Doctor posted:

They do a really good job covering for the fact that Brad is illiterate.

Isn't the whole second part of that movie just showcasing his illiteracy?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alternative pants
Nov 2, 2009

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The zombies are just really dedicated Hooked on Phonics sales reps.