Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

quote:

The California bill, known as AB5, expands a groundbreaking California Supreme Court decision last month known as Dynamex. The ruling and the bill instruct businesses to use the so-called “ABC test” to figure out whether a worker is an employee. To hire an independent contractor, businesses must prove that the worker (a) is free from the company’s control, (b) is doing work that isn’t central to the company’s business, and (c) has an independent business in that industry. If they don’t meet all three of those conditions, then they have to be classified as employees.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arcteryx Anarchist
Sep 15, 2007

Fun Shoe
see lyft will say having the uber app installed is having an independent business and vice versa

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

are they going to be able to argue that driving isn't central to uber's business though?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
Uber is a tech company not a cab driving company

duh

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

lancemantis posted:

see lyft will say having the uber app installed is having an independent business and vice versa

yep

that said a lot of companies exploiting this loophole will have a harder time so it’ll still do a lot of good even if it doesn’t catch uber

Nfcknblvbl
Jul 15, 2002

obviously uber's in the clear since most of their revenue comes from vc funding

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

lancemantis posted:

the trick is saying it to a judge whose re-election relies on the same money that makes lyft go

BMan
Oct 31, 2015

KNIIIIIIFE
EEEEEYYYYE
ATTAAAACK

chestnut santabag posted:

"The Colombia workers, who can each handle up to three robots, make less than $2 an hour, which is above the local minimum wage."

just lol at this justification

But see, it's OK because the founders are Colombian!!!

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Nfcknblvbl posted:

obviously uber's in the clear since most of their revenue comes from vc funding

we've never made any money off cars your honor, in fact we've never made any money at all :smug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
uber is a nonprofit

El_Elegante
Jul 3, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Biscuit Hider

Shame Boy posted:

we've never made any money off cars your honor, in fact we've never made any money at all :smug:

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Chalks posted:

are they going to be able to argue that driving isn't central to uber's business though?

yes, they have constantly argued they are just a marketplace for matching up riders and drivers

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
“The concept is ‘kawaii,’” a Japanese word for cute, said CEO Felipe Chavez, citing examples like Pokémon’s Pikachu character. “You create an authentic connection when people feel characters are very cute.”

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

a clever keikaku for a movie right there

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

thinking outside the kotoba

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i hope the things have speakers and they make their columbian slave laborers put on a cutesy voice and say stuff like "h-here's your burrito senpai, uguu"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

wait a sec

quote:

On the ground in Berkeley, people also do a lot of robot support. Traveling at 1 to 1½ mph, the bots would take too long to chug to local restaurants, so Kiwi workers pick up the food at restaurants and take it via bikes or scooters to meeting spots around campus to insert into an insulated bag in the bots’ storage compartment.

... so why do you need the robots at all :psyduck:

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

duz posted:

yes, they have constantly argued they are just a marketplace for matching up riders and drivers

i imagine the test for this would be if you remove these contractors, does your business continue to function

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Shame Boy posted:

wow, so cool!

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

Chalks posted:

i imagine the test for this would be if you remove these contractors, does your business continue to function

They'd probably have their first profitable quarter

Optimus_Rhyme
Apr 15, 2007

are you that mainframe hacker guy?

So this is different from the contractors who work in the Google goolags?

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

if I were googles lawyers, I'd argue that the contractors are not a core part of the business and are perhaps just a means of bootstrapping the machine learning algos with enough training data

then I would drink myself into a stupor on my yacht and, ideally, fall off and drown

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Shame Boy posted:

wait a sec

I don't think you fully understand their business model. Let me recap for you:

Radio controlled cars Robots

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

prisoner of waffles posted:

if I were googles lawyers, I'd argue that the contractors are not a core part of the business and are perhaps just a means of bootstrapping the machine learning algos with enough training data

then I would drink myself into a stupor on my yacht and, ideally, fall off and drown

i thought google gulags usually involved employees, just not of google

google hires "Bob's Discount Indentured Servants" to handle something under google's direct supervision, Bob's hires people, and those people are "employees" but are not employees of google. they don't get misclassified as independent contractors. it's just that they don't get to put "google" on their resume, and google can hire a low-paid workforce that doesn't taint their image for their "real" workers

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duz posted:

i'd imagine that they're gonna get tripped up with the whole "controlled by the company" part, since the drivers don't actually get to set whatever rates they'd like, as you would be able to in a true marketplace

sure the drivers have been shown to be gaming the rate multiplier near the airport, but that's not being able to flatly set prices like ebay allows you to

ofc it's gonna go to scotus soon enough i'm sure

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

evilweasel posted:

google hires "Bob's Discount Indentured Servants" to handle something under google's direct supervision, Bob's hires people, and those people are "employees" but are not employees of google. they don't get misclassified as independent contractors. it's just that they don't get to put "google" on their resume, and google can hire a low-paid workforce that doesn't taint their image for their "real" workers

yes, this is correct

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Shame Boy posted:

wait a sec

Dehumanizing the delivery staff, for nerds who are scared of other people

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

evilweasel posted:

long term w2 contracting from "technology vendors" is 40-60% of all tech employees at any large company

pretty much once it's cheaper to pay $100-150/hour for an employee [2/3 that for h1bs] than add to your fte headcount you end up with hundreds of contractors

Munkeymon
Aug 14, 2003

Motherfucker's got an
armor-piercing crowbar! Rigoddamndicu𝜆ous.

Optimus_Rhyme posted:

Googlaged again!

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
“The cute face initially attracted me; I like how it shows emotion,” he said. As a roboticist himself — he competes on the TV show “BattleBots” — he appreciates what’s under the hood as well, not to mention the daily deals Kiwi offers.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Suspicious Dish posted:

“The cute face initially attracted me; I like how it shows emotion,” he said. As a roboticist himself — he competes on the TV show “BattleBots” — he appreciates what’s under the hood as well, not to mention the daily deals Kiwi offers.

he's clearly describing the woman he's stalking rather than the robot

JawnV6
Jul 4, 2004

So hot ...

Shame Boy posted:

wait a sec

it's like a clever inversion of the last mile problem, they've invented the first mile problem

a human can't be present for the actual delivery, but they can haul rear end on a bike and stuff a bot before it meanders down the block

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
"I like how the thing delivering my food has a face, unlike those pesky humans" says Dr. BattleBot.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

infernal machines posted:

uber is a no-profit

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

JawnV6 posted:

it's like a clever inversion of the last mile problem, they've invented the first mile problem

a human can't be present for the actual delivery, but they can haul rear end on a bike and stuff a bot before it meanders down the block

the "all but the last mile" problem

or well more like "all but the last 1000 feet" problem because apparently they only putter along at one mile per hour so if they're going to get to you within any sort of reasonable timeframe you better be right next door already.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
robotics is one thing that I thought would be way further ahead than it currently is when I was a kid

crabrock
Aug 2, 2002

I

AM

MAGNIFICENT

gently caress robots i just want a future with pneumatic tubes to everybody's houses can some stupid startup get on that please? just put them on the power line poles, nothing can go wrong.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

abigserve posted:

robotics is one thing that I thought would be way further ahead than it currently is when I was a kid

i mean i'd say the state of the art is pretty far ahead if you go based on the horrifying murder machines with swords for legs that boston dynamics made, it's just the price hasn't really come down much for anything consumer-grade so they're still relegated to factories and unholy secret military projects

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/Clairvoire/status/1051241572791128065

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i had this exact reaction when watching the flea video for the first time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6b4ZZQkcNEo

"oh it's an adorable little rc car, isn't that cute. wait what's it doing... oh it can jump up little steps, neat... wait now what's it- OH GOD"

like just put a saw blade on that thing and you have something close to a manhack