Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007
I just saw a newgen with the personality type "Mercenary." I'd never seen that one before. I assume it's just super low loyalty, with maybe high ambition. Any other super rare personality types you guys have seen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!

Waroduce posted:

This thread needs an upgrade it's the year of our lord two thousand and nineteen

There. The thread should now be evergreen until the end of the universe or they stop responding "It's your tactics" to match engine problems. (which is the same thing)

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

mrnoun posted:

I just saw a newgen with the personality type "Mercenary." I'd never seen that one before. I assume it's just super low loyalty, with maybe high ambition. Any other super rare personality types you guys have seen?

What's his shooting like?

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Masonity posted:

What's his shooting like?

His name is Sherif, so mostly he gets shot, though his striking partner is generally spared.

Finishing 15, Long Shots 7.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

mrnoun posted:

His name is Sherif, so mostly he gets shot, though his striking partner is generally spared.

:dadjoke:

SirFozzie
Mar 28, 2004
Goombatta!
One thing that FM has over real life, is that when people try to force their way out, if you stand firm they usually give up.

For example, my star defender has handed in four transfer requests so far this period, because I have it set to auto-reject bids for him, but other teams keep trying (Set an asking price of 60 million, they're not even offering half that. Got tired of telling them to gently caress off). Every two days now he puts in a fresh transfer request, which I reject.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

SirFozzie posted:

One thing that FM has over real life, is that when people try to force their way out, if you stand firm they usually give up.

For example, my star defender has handed in four transfer requests so far this period, because I have it set to auto-reject bids for him, but other teams keep trying (Set an asking price of 60 million, they're not even offering half that. Got tired of telling them to gently caress off). Every two days now he puts in a fresh transfer request, which I reject.

Yeah, usually they'll sulk until either you win something or the other team loses interest.

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
When are you supposed to get the Brexit message in FM19? I'm in Dec 2019 and still haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
check the news

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

Ragingsheep posted:

When are you supposed to get the Brexit message in FM19? I'm in Dec 2019 and still haven't seen anything regarding it yet.

I got a "Not leaving the EU" mail every single year from 2019 to 2027

Ragingsheep
Nov 7, 2009
I went on holiday to Jul 2021 and the rules still remained the same so maybe Brexit doesn't mean Brexit?

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

I just started playing 19 for the first time and got hit with a hard brexit immediately. :( 17-player cap for overseas players, and pretty much every scout report I get now is 'This player will probably fail to get a work permit', even for well-established players.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

What, I wonder, does this hidden face of madness reveal of the makers? These K'Chain Che'Malle?

an_mutt posted:

I just started playing 19 for the first time and got hit with a hard brexit immediately. :( 17-player cap for overseas players, and pretty much every scout report I get now is 'This player will probably fail to get a work permit', even for well-established players.

Check out what the actual requirements are. All of my scouts are convinced everyone will fail, but the only limit on who gets it is their salary.

Mbappe will fail to get a work permit? Sure. If he's on less than £7k a week. But guess what? He wants more than that just to get out of bed in the morning!

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

I got the message about Brexit happening "soon" and that details were to follow. It was a year or so in game time before they were confirmed, though there was to be no changes. First time I've gotten a soft Brexit.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

And in "Things you thought could only happen in FM" news:

Not FM posted:

NORWAY U20 12-0 HONDURAS U20

What makes the result all the more astonishing is the fact Erling Braut Haland - the son of former Manchester City defender Alf-Inge Haland - helped himself to a triple hat trick.

It's not everyday you scores nine goals in a single match and with only one coming from the penalty spot, while the trio of Leo Skiri Ostigard, Jens Huage and Eman Markovic also scored.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Bullshit, I don't think I've ever even got the double hat trick achievement.

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Masonity posted:

So, my 6'7 monster of a striker is being a sulky baby, and after 4 years and 86 league goals I might have to let him go. I'll get a fair bit more than the £10 million i signed him for at least!

I have other options who can replace him, but it'll be sad to lose Feddy!

edit: He stopped being a baby and insisting we needed to strengthen the team or he'd leave.

That said, my uberregen has finally hit age. Tom Davidson is 21, and basically the best player in the world. He's been up there a while, but only playing him in half the games last season (I experimented with an A and B side, each playing half my games) he seems to have taken the final leap into, well, this.

He still has some maturing to do, and the game doesn't think he's quite filled his potential yet, but I'm pretty happy with the kid.

edit: For those wondering, his 1 negative in the summery is that he can only play in one position. I'll admit, I'm heartbroken that my 21 year old with over 100 premier league goals to his name isn't able to put in a shift in midfield.

He went on to become Arsenal's record scorer at 22, and has now surpassed Kane to become England's top ever goal scorer at the grand old age of 24.

Harry is the top Premier League goalscorer with 278 still, so Tommy should manage to pass him midway through next season at 25. He's on 253 with roughly a goal a game for the past 3-4 years.

an_mutt
Sep 29, 2010

I was,
I am,
and I remain a soldier!

Sworn to dedicate my heart and soul to the restoration of human kind!

Masonity posted:

Check out what the actual requirements are. All of my scouts are convinced everyone will fail, but the only limit on who gets it is their salary.

Mbappe will fail to get a work permit? Sure. If he's on less than £7k a week. But guess what? He wants more than that just to get out of bed in the morning!

Yeah, this is actually the case (I had to look up the rules section of the league to confirm it). It's annoying, because I had dumped 3/4 month's worth of scout reports telling me the guys I was looking at would all fail one. Thanks, game designers!

Caf
May 21, 2004

I'm King James! The Lion King!

Masonity posted:

He went on to become Arsenal's record scorer at 22, and has now surpassed Kane to become England's top ever goal scorer at the grand old age of 24.

Harry is the top Premier League goalscorer with 278 still, so Tommy should manage to pass him midway through next season at 25. He's on 253 with roughly a goal a game for the past 3-4 years.

What tactics are you using to get scoring like that? I'm a ways away from the top leagues but I can't seem to find a tactic that consistently even creates chances in this version.

Most goals are coming on crosses from the WB to the opposite W on the far post or from long shots in the middle of the field. I basically don't see anything else.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Here's a fun self-imposed challenge: Once you've successfully built the biggest trophy-munching megabastard in the world and you’ve grown bored with it, resign and go on holiday for a bit. Then return to the same team when it inevitably sacks your successor 4-12 months later. Marvel at how spectacularly the AI has hosed everything in so short a time. Race the clock to try to unfuck everything before you get sacked too because the minimum expectation is doing the league/cup/CL triple.

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jun 8, 2019

gtkor
Feb 21, 2011

Eric the Mauve posted:

Here's a fun self-imposed challenge: Once you've successfully built the biggest trophy-munching megabastard in the world and you’ve grown bored with it, resign and go on holiday for a bit. Then return to the same team when it inevitably sacks your successor 4-12 months later. Marvel at how spectacularly the AI has hosed everything in so short a time. Race the clock to try to unfuck everything before you get sacked too because the minimum expectation is doing the league/cup/CL triple.

Shouldn't you get a pretty big bump just from being pretty much everyone's favored personnel?

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

Caf posted:

What tactics are you using to get scoring like that? I'm a ways away from the top leagues but I can't seem to find a tactic that consistently even creates chances in this version.

Most goals are coming on crosses from the WB to the opposite W on the far post or from long shots in the middle of the field. I basically don't see anything else.

I spent my first few years playing a 5-2-3 with wingbacks. Super hard closing down, super direct, three strikers. I then transitioned to an almost 4-4-2 (4-2-4?) With wingbacks and an AML/R rather than fullbacks and wingers. veritcal tiki-taka, still stupid closing down when out of possession. I've pretty much built a team with the best players in the world in every respective position.

With my original tactic I'd have 30-40% possession but score tons anyway. Now days I completely dominate games, with 60-70% possession.

Both have gone narrow with underlapping though. I guess my "thing" is narrow underlapping attacks and a hard tackling high line closing down the second it loses possession and forcing mistakes.

Edit: Tommy is scoring a goal a game for England for the AI too though. I think he'd score in a nunnery. Not sure how much my system enables him. Going from one of three strikers to one of two (with the other more of a provider) has helped though.

My newer tactic was inspired by the Invincibles, with him as my Thierry.

Masonity fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Jun 8, 2019

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

gtkor posted:

Shouldn't you get a pretty big bump just from being pretty much everyone's favored personnel?

Sure, bu now everyone's salary has doubled, except for the guys who have already demanded a transfer, morale and cohesion are in the toilet, and they've signed on a bunch of overpaid useless guys who don't fit any really useful tactical role to boot.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

SirFozzie posted:

There. The thread should now be evergreen until the end of the universe or they stop responding "It's your tactics" to match engine problems. (which is the same thing)

“It’s your tactics mate” has been a refrain for as long as Miles has been calling people wankers.

Tortilla Maker
Dec 13, 2005
Un Desmadre A Toda Madre
Looking to upgrade from FM14.

FM19 on super sale and it’s tempting but anything major expected in FM20 that I should hold out for?

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever

Tortilla Maker posted:

FM19 on super sale and it’s tempting but anything major expected in FM20 that I should hold out for?

Where is it on super sale?

I am also interested in the answer to that question.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Tortilla Maker posted:

”anything major” is a bad reason to hold out because they gently caress up every new feature at the first attempt

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
All I want to know is if they'll manage to make regens look worse

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

JustJeff88 posted:

Where is it on super sale?

I am also interested in the answer to that question.

It was in the Steam sale, but that ended ten minutes before Tortilla Maker's post.

It's also available in the Xbox Game Pass for PC beta at the cool cost of $5/month (on top of a ton of other cool and good games). But there you have the disadvantage that you literally can't mod the game or take advantage of Steam Workshop stuff.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

FM20 is going to be available on Google Stadia, where you can play it through your browser. No idea on cost, but it's an interesting idea. Think I'll stick with the regular one for now, but if it is a success, it could make a big difference.

The idea of having FM available at any time on my work computer is terrifying though...

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Mickolution posted:

The idea of having FM available at any time on my work computer is terrifying though...

Been doing this (occasionally, on very slow days) for years via Google Remote Desktop.

I wouldn't recommend it if you want to be at all productive.

Drone fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Jul 10, 2019

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Drone posted:

Been doing this (occasionally, on very slow days) for years via Google Remote Desktop.

I wouldn't recommend it if you want to be at all productive.

Fortunately, too many people can see my computer screen for me to get away with it.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

a skin that makes the whole ui look like a terminal window

GOOD TIMES ON METH
Mar 17, 2006

Fun Shoe
Set-TouchlineShout ShowSomePassion

Masonity
Dec 31, 2007

sebzilla posted:

Pele challenge, 1000 career goals.

So, Tommy is 25, about to turn 26 before the next season starts, and he's kinda on track?

After eleven seasons he has 280 league goals but 422 club goals in all competitions thanks to absolutely tearing up the cups. I haven't counted friendlies. He also has 93 England goals to bring his total to 515 in all competitions. In the last 5 seasons he's averaged 52 club goals and 11 international goals a season for a total of 63. If he can keep that form up for 7 seasons (32, about to turn 33) he should be around 30-40 goals shy going into the twilight of his career. He was Arsenal's top ever league goalscorer at 22, England's at 24 and at 25 he beat a recently retired Harry Kane (who's England record he also took) to the most ever Premiership goals.

The board are building a new stadium and I genuinely won't be upset if they choose to name it after him instead of me!

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Dumb question: is there any in-game point whatsoever to me (the manager) drawing a salary above $1/yr? Because the rest of that money could be better spent on giving my lovely VNL mid-table Boston Utd squad an extra quality player or two next season so I can loving finally make an actual push to break into league football after spending four seasons managing this club

FM16 if that matters at all.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

I think it makes you slightly less likely to be sacked as they'd have to pay you off.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Supposedly your players respect you more the more money you make (absolutely or relative to how much they make, not even sure) but that could just be a longstanding FM urban legend for all I know. It could be just relative reputation actually having the effect and people getting confused because obviously your rep is a big determiner of your wage.

Otherwise yeah, the only effect is that how much money the team still owes you is one of the 45 variables taken into consideration when deciding whether to sack your rear end.

Karl Sharks
Feb 20, 2008

The Immortal Science of Sharksism-Fininism

Eric the Mauve posted:

Supposedly your players respect you more the more money you make (absolutely or relative to how much they make, not even sure) but that could just be a longstanding FM urban legend for all I know. It could be just relative reputation actually having the effect and people getting confused because obviously your rep is a big determiner of your wage.

Otherwise yeah, the only effect is that how much money the team still owes you is one of the 45 variables taken into consideration when deciding whether to sack your rear end.

I can't remember ever not having a super low job value cause it'd be easy to sack me, but I don't check it that often either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mrnoun
Jul 24, 2007

Karl Sharks posted:

I can't remember ever not having a super low job value cause it'd be easy to sack me, but I don't check it that often either.

On a related note, I don't think I've ever been at a club that didn't massively low-ball me at contract renewal time. No, Mr. Chairman, I'm not interested in taking a pay cut. I just won you the CL.