Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Don't mess with forums history, I wanna be foreverially permabanned when I die, fully banned and loving it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:sueme:

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've always thought "dead" should functionally be a permaban with a different name and avatar

I definitely remember at least two dead users being memorialized in some way, FWIW (wren and cleopatrabarksdale); the perma was overturned and then someone bought a custom title for their account.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Isn’t it trivially easy to rereg after a permaban? Assuming you’d want to be on a forum that doesn’t want you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Snowy posted:

Isn’t it trivially easy to rereg after a permaban? Assuming you’d want to be on a forum that doesn’t want you.

Not exactly trivial, but yeah I can think of several ways off the top of my head to dodge one.

But also, people are really bad at changing their posting "voice" and/or abhorrent opinions so they usually out themselves in some way or another.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Snowy posted:

It's about 50/50 whether they rereg and vanish into the crowd vs. going right back into the same thread they got banned in and picking up the argument again

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.
Sometimes permas aren't really heartfelt, from what I can see, and I think the rereg is allowed to stand if the goon in question behaves themself. This is just speculation, though.

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i've always liked that vilerat is an exception to the "permabanned due to death" rule :unsmith:

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

I thought dead people had a "permadead" avatar. Did I dream this?

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Pastry of the Year posted:

I've always thought "dead" should functionally be a permaban with a different name and avatar, because, as was said, permas usually mean

which definitely has more of the "horrible person who brought the perma onto themselves" feeling to it.

I still think it should be a frog with a Halo and the words "got out"

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Untrustable posted:

I thought dead people had a "permadead" avatar. Did I dream this?

No, there's a couple of those floating around. Just seems to be an old forums thing no longer used.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Spanish Manlove posted:

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Spanish Manlove posted:

:yeah:

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches

Spanish Manlove posted:

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Spanish Manlove posted:

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

Speaking of avatars, what's the story behind the "Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!" avatars? I've seen at least two other people besides Untrustable with that exact same image and caption.

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Minus Green posted:

Speaking of avatars, what's the story behind the "Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!" avatars? I've seen at least two other people besides Untrustable with that exact same image and caption.

They tried to go to summer camp without any goodies.

FactsAreUseless
Feb 16, 2011

Spanish Manlove posted:

If someone makes this and sends me a list of dead posters I will change their avs.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Minus Green posted:

It's Aunt Martha Thomas from the movie Sleepaway Camp

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

It's Aunt Martha Thomas from the movie Sleepaway Camp

For the uninitiated a brother and sister get in an accident and it shows one of them dying. Aunt Martha adopts the girl, then there's a slasher movie, but the final plot twist is that the girl (who is the killer) is actually the boy, the one who died in the accident was the girl, and Aunt Martha raised adopted the brother and raised him as a girl because she already had a son

So yeah it's kind of a weird one.

Snow Cone Capone has a new favorite as of 19:22 on May 31, 2019

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Proteus Jones posted:

Not exactly trivial, but yeah I can think of several ways off the top of my head to dodge one.

But also, people are really bad at changing their posting "voice" and/or abhorrent opinions so they usually out themselves in some way or another.

I remember there was an article about an interview with Lowtax talking about how bad social media moderation is and using the SA forums as a counterpoint, and he basically said this in different words; that most perma repeat offenders are too crazy and/or distinctively obnoxious to really hide it.

I also remember Caro was un-permabanned when he turned out to be alive.

Untrustable
Mar 17, 2009

Minus Green posted:

We committed to watching a certain amount of horror movies during the CineD Horror Thread's annual challenge thread and failed.

Eox
Jun 20, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

FactsAreUseless posted:

a list of dead posters

not a bad thread title tbh

nankeen
Mar 20, 2019

by Cyrano4747

Spanish Manlove posted:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I remember there was an article about an interview with Lowtax talking about how bad social media moderation is and using the SA forums as a counterpoint, and he basically said this in different words; that most perma repeat offenders are too crazy and/or distinctively obnoxious to really hide it.

I also remember Caro was un-permabanned when he turned out to be alive.

Then you get people like Kyoon that know full well they'll get banned on every rereg but periodically create another account anyway. How many Kyoon accounts are there, anyway? Haven't seen Kyoon in a while but you'd randomly see somebody register something like "_kyoon2___", post madness for a few hours, then get banned again.

Then again some of those might not have been the real Kyoon and just some random goon with a :10bux: to burn posting nonsense because hey why not?

:sax:

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Ironic War Criminal also comes to mind. Though I think in Dare's case at least it was credit card fraud.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Spanish Manlove posted:

Not to pile on but that is legit brilliant.

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Proteus Jones posted:

It doesn't help that like 90% of the people who re-reg after a perma are D&D posters, so they feel like their opinions must be voiced!

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Then you get people like Kyoon that know full well they'll get banned on every rereg but periodically create another account anyway. How many Kyoon accounts are there, anyway? Haven't seen Kyoon in a while but you'd randomly see somebody register something like "_kyoon2___", post madness for a few hours, then get banned again.

Then again some of those might not have been the real Kyoon and just some random goon with a :10bux: to burn posting nonsense because hey why not?

:sax:

Last I heard Kyoon is still posting his screeds across the internet. But I'm not sure where.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

"Got Out"

Gravitas Shortfall has a new favorite as of 16:22 on Jun 1, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
When the time comes can we crowdfund Lowtax a tombstone of this?

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

When the time comes can we crowdfund Lowtax a tombstone of this?

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo
it needs to be like a tattoo, with the words on one of those little scrolls/ribbons

Wes Warhammer
Oct 19, 2012

:golfclap:

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Beautifully done

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

This reminded me of Wren, and I seriously just teared up a little.

gently caress cancer.

Big Grunty Secret
Aug 28, 2007

Just one question, though. Is there a way to take off my pants?
Wait Wren-P Complete died? :(

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Big Grunty Secret posted:

Wait Wren-P Complete died? :(

To my knowledge she is alive and well. Wren was a different poster.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

I am a-okay. Too many bug bites from trying to clear a space for a new rhododendron to live here, but nothing deadly. :)

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

WrenP-Complete posted:

I am a-okay. Too many bug bites from trying to clear a space for a new rhododendron to live here, but nothing deadly. :)

oh poo poo a ghost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2986167&pagenumber=57&perpage=40#post406347094