Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will Brexit happen by 31 October 2019?
This poll is closed.
Yes - We'll fall out no deal in June 51 6.98%
Yes - Some kind of deal will be in place by October 26 3.56%
Yes - Technical Brexit (EU Flag has a gold fringe) 29 3.97%
No - There'll be a general election 77 10.53%
No - There'll be a #PeoplesVote 27 3.69%
No - Queen's dugs will stop it 11 1.50%
Other - Bah Gawd is that Sinn Fein's Music? 93 12.72%
gently caress Knows 264 36.11%
Piss Flaps 153 20.93%
Total: 731 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
This thread right now is a good reminder of exactly what a second ref will play out like over an entire nation

Rarity posted:

This thread has been loving dire this last week

Well then here's some pictures of lowestoft that dont make it seem all gritty and sobering

Then some crisps and beer I guess

And I went back and bought the 18 carat plate of sheer power too, for the princely sum of £1.50 which was quite near the maximus I would have paid for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

DesperateDan posted:

And I went back and bought the 18 carat plate of sheer power too, for the princely sum of £1.50 which was quite near the maximus I would have paid for it

Finally some good news for the month.

breadshaped
Apr 1, 2010

Soiled Meat

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

Can we please just get a second referendum done and dusted so we can tell the brain geniuses to gently caress off forever when they inevitably lose it for remain on their favoured platform of 'you're all racist and the EU is super great, please vote for us'.

Labour have hosed themselves by trying to be Schrödinger's Political Party.

The most important thing brexit or no-brexit is that Labour are in government, they now need to become as cynical as possible to achieve this.

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Can we just close this thread early and start again tomorrow?

Not until you tell us what you're having for dinner tonight

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The thing is a second referendum is not the solidly pro-remain policy people want to believe it is. Even no deal vs remain is likely to be a close-run thing, so anyone proposing a second referendum has to be prepared to act on a potential leave win. So the responsible thing to do is to negotiate the best deal possible before a referendum. But then that leaves you in the position of either negotiating a position which you intend to campaign against or campaigning for leave in the 2nd referendum.

It's easy for the minor parties to support a second referendum because they don't have to worry about being in charge; as the potential government Labour has a trickier needle to thread. The only actually remain policy for a party of government is revoking Article 50

This is a good post. Print it out, wrap it around half a brick and throw it at all Lib Dem FBPE Remainiacs.

e: It led to me posting this on a wretched hive of FBPEs that I can't stop touching the poop in.

quote:

Hi Lib Dem fans. Congratulations on the EU Parliament elections and the most recent YouGov poll.

If you were in government what would the options be on your second referendum, and what would your campaign strategy be for that referendum?

Would you attempt to negotiate a better Deal than May's WA so that if in the event of Remain not winning you wouldn't have accidentally hosed the entire country? If so, what does that Deal look like? Or would you go No Deal/Remain and trust that "The EU is great, let's keep things the same" will persuade more than 48% of people (and 68% of your own voters, a whopping 3% more than Brexiteer failure scumbag Corbyn) this time around. Or WA/Remain? Would you suck it up and implement No Deal or May's Deal if they won? It feels like a hell of a risk to take.

If you are going back to the EU to renegotiate, how do you square the fact that you'll be spending a lot of time and effort working on something the majority your supporters don't want to happen and will be campaigning against?

Or would you, as some have suggested, convince Parliament to just revoke A50, against the democratic will of the referendum and take your chances against whatever Brexiteer fury that sparks. Remember Jo Cox.

Further, how would you go about moving on and fixing the conditions that led to the swell in anti-EU and anti-immigration sentiment, the successes of UKIP/BXP/Farage and the 52% result in the referendum? If society's problems aren't rooted in immigration, what's your big picture alternative explanation? Is it the decade of austerity that your party endorsed and enabled? The dissatisfaction that led to Brexit is not a wholly right-wing phenomenon (a third of 2015 Lib Dems voted to Leave) so how do you stop the same issues bubbling up again a few years down the line?

These are just some things you'll need to consider if you're going to wear big boy pants and be a serious party of government, rather than a party of Remain protest. Have fun!

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Jose posted:

yeah i'm going to post a prolapse picture.

This is very :nws: and :nms: and is of an aussie goons intentionally prolapsed anus. Click on it if you wish

https://imgur.com/KpN6KAQ

i don't remember this bit in Alien

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

sebzilla posted:

if you're going to wear big boy pants and be a serious party of government, rather than a party of Remain protest
the gently caress would they want to do that for

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Borrovan posted:

the gently caress would they want to do that for

Because they're SENSIBLE ADULTS

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

You hate ridden fucks will regret your words when you eventually grow up.

Peace.
in today's headlines:

- Corbyn walks back second ref bravado
- Peter Willsman

well that's going to be wonderful for a while

mehall
Aug 27, 2010

The writer of Chernobyl is handling the lovely takes from the right pretty well

https://twitter.com/clmazin/status/1134256172284801024?s=19

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Multiple MPs said Johnson had been emphasising his more liberal credentials on issues other than Brexit. “Rightwing on Brexit, to the left of the party on other things – that’s probably where the country is,” the MP said. “The nation is not demanding massive tax cuts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/31/stop-dominic-raab-tory-moderates-seek-to-block-path-to-pm

Uhhhhh.... I’d rather tax cuts over austerity measures that led me to seeing a wheelchair user having to sleep in a Whitechapel park for fucks sake.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

Nova88 posted:

Can we start probing people for brainworms? Having these pissflaps clones posting the same poo poo after every single poll is getting really dull.

use the secret ignore function built into SA if they annoy you so much you big baby

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Bongino isn't a real name ffs.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Have i stumbled into a mirror universe where everything is upside down and the left attack liberals as idealists motivated by protest politics unwilling to make tough pragmatic decisions that seek to find a cente ground

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

Diet Crack posted:

Multiple MPs said Johnson had been emphasising his more liberal credentials on issues other than Brexit. “Rightwing on Brexit, to the left of the party on other things – that’s probably where the country is,” the MP said. “The nation is not demanding massive tax cuts.”

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/may/31/stop-dominic-raab-tory-moderates-seek-to-block-path-to-pm

Uhhhhh.... I’d rather tax cuts over austerity measures that led me to seeing a wheelchair user having to sleep in a Whitechapel park for fucks sake.

They'd do tax cuts for the rich, then austerity measures so borrowing wouldn't increase as much due to the tax cuts for the rich.

The solution is increased taxes for the rich and large funding increases for public services.

Azza Bamboo
Apr 7, 2018

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

kustomkarkommando posted:

Have i stumbled into a mirror universe where everything is upside down and the left attack liberals as idealists motivated by protest politics unwilling to make tough pragmatic decisions that seek to find a cente ground

Or as Tony Blair calls them, Radical Moderates.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Failed Imagineer posted:

Not until you tell us what you're having for dinner tonight

I'mma make slow cooked sausage casserole served over mash

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

The lib dems are the brexit party for remainers at this point, it's not incorrect.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

OwlFancier posted:

Bongino isn't a real name ffs.

Its Italian.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
How did brexit become the new national religion

Parties don't seem to need anything but a brexit policy any more

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

feedmegin posted:

I'mma make slow cooked sausage casserole served over mash
I haven't had this for ages, and think I actually have most of the ingredients, might save my money on the shawarma now you've said that

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Change UK should pivot to game of thrones being bad as their central policy.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Gort posted:

They'd do tax cuts for the rich, then austerity measures so borrowing wouldn't increase as much due to the tax cuts for the rich.

The solution is increased taxes for the rich and large funding increases for public services.

This is a Tory quote though, so the literal opposite will be enacted. I agree for taxing the richest more, but they’re the ones with their hands in a lot of pockets to swing any rational logic out of reason and into their favour.

So it’s more than likely the status quo will remain.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Gort posted:

How did brexit become the new national religion

Parties don't seem to need anything but a brexit policy any more

The Brexit Party isn't a party. It's a corporation.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Borrovan posted:

I haven't had this for ages, and think I actually have most of the ingredients, might save my money on the shawarma now you've said that

The secret to good mash is to add more butter. No, even more than that. Now add a bit more.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

feedmegin posted:

The secret to good cooking is to add more butter. No, even more than that. Now add a bit more.

Agreed

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

I just saved money on my regular friday afternoon anal bleaching AMA

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

feedmegin posted:

The secret to good mash is to add more butter. No, even more than that. Now add a bit more.

Sorry, still needs more butter

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Coming back from camping holiday, had BBC news on, they spent the first 15 minutes on the Willsman antisemetism thing. 15 minutes, with multiple references to how it was terrible and labour weren't doing it right, with a very brief mention at the end saying 'well, legally they have to suspend and investigate they can't kick him out, but it's still terrible they aren't kicking him out immediately'.

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

the curse of winning intraparty power

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

So far responses to my questions about what the Lib Dems would do in power include "no way a third of LDs voted Leave" with no followup when I posted the figures and some handwringing that me mentioning Jo Cox was "a bit sinister"

No actual answers. I'm shocked!

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

Rarity posted:

Sorry, still needs more butter

Some milk is also good too, but no, not that much.

And WHITE pepper.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Might not be the right place for this but: Retirement in the USSR did people just retire at 60 and then get a state pension for the rest of their lives?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

sebzilla posted:

So far responses to my questions about what the Lib Dems would do in power include "no way a third of LDs voted Leave" with no followup when I posted the figures and some handwringing that me mentioning Jo Cox was "a bit sinister"

No actual answers. I'm shocked!

OK well done.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
At least if that you gov poll is right (lol) at least it'll put to bed the idea that #FBPE twitter ever gave a poo poo about the effect brexit will have on the poorest of society.

NinpoEspiritoSanto
Oct 22, 2013

Dead Goon posted:

Some milk is also good too, but no, not that much.

And WHITE pepper.

Easy there Nige

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

And creme fraiche. That's an awesome addition.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Gonzo McFee posted:

At least if that you gov poll is right (lol) at least it'll put to bed the idea that #FBPE twitter ever gave a poo poo about the effect brexit will have on the poorest of society.

Is yougov generally considered unreliable?

Borrovan
Aug 15, 2013

IT IS ME.
🧑‍💼
I AM THERESA MAY

Literally whatever rich dairy products you have in the fridge go in mash. Especially mascarpone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ronya
Nov 8, 2010

I'm the normal one.

Peace.

bessantj posted:

Might not be the right place for this but: Retirement in the USSR did people just retire at 60 and then get a state pension for the rest of their lives?

it's complex, it seems

http://www.helsinki.fi/iehc2006/papers3/Lovell.pdf