Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

Reactor: Online
Sensors: Online
Weapons: Online

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Got the maps I was missing (didn't need much convincing, tbh).

Stray questions:

Is there an Actually Best Truck, or are the differences negligible besides looks and what the cabin looks like?

Is there any 'heads up' gps mod? Something like this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Edmond Dantes posted:

Is there an Actually Best Truck, or are the differences negligible besides looks and what the cabin looks like?
If you want to have an RPG-esque experience, Scania has a whole bunch of engines and transmissions, each slightly better than the next, so each level you earn gives you a little something extra to play with. If you just want to drive, Volvo will give you a 700 HP monster right out of the gate. I can't speak to best view, as it's been a while since I actually played.

Zenostein
Aug 16, 2008

:h::h::h:Alhamdulillah-chan:h::h::h:
I feel like the most open view is mercedes or man. Maybe iveco? One of those three, I think.

I've always liked the Renaults, but for some reason despite everything having the same transmission, theirs always seemed geared weirdly. Maybe that's better, now that there are actual options.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
It's the MAN with the big cab.

I'd just try out all the trucks as you play the game. Just a tip any engine with over 450bhp/2600nm torque is more than enough to haul stuff up to 25 tonnes.

Also the fancy chassis options above 4x2 are only worth it for hauling big stuff, some trucks you lose quite a bit of fuel capacity for the extra axles. Its best to spec trucks for what you want to do with them as there are lots of different options.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

track day bro! posted:

I'd just try out all the trucks as you play the game. Just a tip any engine with over 450bhp/2600nm torque is more than enough to haul stuff up to 25 tonnes.
This is what I did. I had my initial Volvo for what seems like forever as I saved up for a second garage and then as I became richer, I drove a series of increasingly pimped out trucks from all of the companies. Later, as I spread my company all over Europe and into the DLC areas, I hit a critical mass and had enough money for 50,000 euro paintjobs for my entire fleet.

I love ETS2's progression system of slowly becoming the Truck Money God Who Obeys No Laws while speeding around Europe.

Man is definitely the best view of the road, but all of the trucks have their own special vibe. I drive mostly in the first person perspective but lately I've been consciously switching views to take in the landscape (rather than my collection of flags and bobbleheads and whatever those steering wheel balls are) and soundscape (rather than the sound of my own engine).

Game's great, 10/10

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I impulse-bought all the current map DLC for ETS2 on a steam sale; I haven't really touched it since launch, so I want to just start over from level 1, what's a good starting city to choose if I want to see the best new scenery fairly quickly?

AlbertFlasher
Feb 14, 2006

Hulk Hogan and the Wrestling Boot Band
I found Italy pretty awesome. So I would say any city there. If you bought the new Baltic dlc then I don't know. I haven't played there much yet so I can't really say.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

AlbertFlasher posted:

I found Italy pretty awesome. So I would say any city there. If you bought the new Baltic dlc then I don't know. I haven't played there much yet so I can't really say.
Agreed. I started in Norway soon after the longer jobs started taking me down into Germany I had enough money for a second garage which I built in Italy. Once the money starts rolling in it's a good idea to build a garage in each country and mix it up a bit.

It's worth repeating that the DLC areas and the refreshed old areas are really, really pretty and fun to drive through.

Greader
Oct 11, 2012
I haven't played this game in ages but kinda am interested in trying again, especially with the idea of trying out some VR shenanigans. What is the garage actually good for? I feel like when I played I basically never went back there, though I only ever got so far as to have a single employee under me.

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

Greader posted:

I haven't played this game in ages but kinda am interested in trying again, especially with the idea of trying out some VR shenanigans. What is the garage actually good for? I feel like when I played I basically never went back there, though I only ever got so far as to have a single employee under me.

Once you've upgraded the garage, you can buy gas there at a discount. You can quick-travel to any garage you own. Having garages lets you have a fleet of trucks, if you want to take different ones for a spin now and again. Having a fleet of trucks also generates income, and some folks like to build their fleet up enough that any tickets they get are paid off by this income, letting them speed as much as they want. Last, but not least, you get an achievement for having a garage in every city in a country. (Pro tip: buy a garage in Luxembourg. Bam, done.)

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

mystery at hog island posted:

Agreed. I started in Norway soon after the longer jobs started taking me down into Germany I had enough money for a second garage which I built in Italy. Once the money starts rolling in it's a good idea to build a garage in each country and mix it up a bit.

It's worth repeating that the DLC areas and the refreshed old areas are really, really pretty and fun to drive through.

I started in Oslo, but I found that it was so far away from every other city that I couldn't find any jobs that took me outside of Oslo right away. So I started over in Palermo and now my plan is to job my way up the boot and then maybe swing east to check out that part of the map.

Sicily was really cool-looking, night and day from the original content in the game.

mystery at hog island
Aug 16, 2003
Captain of Outer Space

Ainsley McTree posted:

I started in Oslo, but I found that it was so far away from every other city that I couldn't find any jobs that took me outside of Oslo right away. So I started over in Palermo and now my plan is to job my way up the boot and then maybe swing east to check out that part of the map.

Sicily was really cool-looking, night and day from the original content in the game.
Sup Oslo HQ buddy? Funny enough, my second garage was in Genoa and full agreement on Italy.

Oslo, like Rome, is HUGE on the ETS2 map. I definitely did a few Oslo-to-Oslo jobs until I could dump another point into long distance. I don't remember it being any worse than my previous start in Dortmund, but there are probably some better cities to start in for sure.

I'm so psyched for the new DLC, but I really want a refresh of the UK. I read that parts of the UK maps predate ETS2 and every trip into the UK is tortuously boring so I avoid it outside events.

Sometimes I wish the achievements corresponded with in-game "missions" or something to keep track of exactly which airports I've visited and what-not.

Stick Insect
Oct 24, 2010

My enemies are many.

My equals are none.
I'm manually keeping track of my achievement progress for some of the vaguer achievements.

You can still get a lot of info from the Progress History but you'll need to hover your mouse over each dot on the graph for the details. Cargo weight is missing but I think every type of cargo always weighs the same, unless articulated trailers were involved.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

mystery at hog island posted:

Sup Oslo HQ buddy? Funny enough, my second garage was in Genoa and full agreement on Italy.

Oslo, like Rome, is HUGE on the ETS2 map. I definitely did a few Oslo-to-Oslo jobs until I could dump another point into long distance. I don't remember it being any worse than my previous start in Dortmund, but there are probably some better cities to start in for sure.

I'm so psyched for the new DLC, but I really want a refresh of the UK. I read that parts of the UK maps predate ETS2 and every trip into the UK is tortuously boring so I avoid it outside events.

Sometimes I wish the achievements corresponded with in-game "missions" or something to keep track of exactly which airports I've visited and what-not.

If you've got a beefy enough gaming rig download promods as theyve done a great job rebuilding parts of the uk. The London rebuild is amazing in the way they managed to fit so much recognisable stuff in. You also get a small chunk of Spain which is very well done as I've driven quite a bit of the parts theyve covered irl, the Valencia peripheral roads are just as I remember them. You also get a much increased scandinavian road network, a large balkan expansion, Ireland, Iceland I could go on.

Some areas are a bit poorly optimised like Barcelona, which is an FPS killer but in the towns I feel it doesnt matter too much.

The UK in ets2 base is from UK Truck Simulator which is old as gently caress. Germany and Austria were from German Truck Sim, although SCS has rebuilt large chunks of northern Germany recently and the next game update brings a rebuild of the south.

Harminoff
Oct 24, 2005

👽
Nice, they finally added voice navigation!

ssb
Feb 16, 2006

WOULD YOU ACCOMPANY ME ON A BRISK WALK? I WOULD LIKE TO SPEAK WITH YOU!!

Harminoff posted:

Nice, they finally added voice navigation!

Nice. I'm a law abiding truckfuckler myself but how well does it keep up with the hammer down style?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer
Washington DLC out next tuesday!
https://blog.scssoft.com/2019/06/washington-announcement.html

Can't wait to buy this and then get bored of ats very quickly again!

Dark_Swordmaster
Oct 31, 2011
Have they addressed how it works if you don't own contiguous DLC? I don't own Oregon but if I bought Washington how does that work?

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Swordmaster posted:

Have they addressed how it works if you don't own contiguous DLC? I don't own Oregon but if I bought Washington how does that work?

You can buy garages remotely now so I guess thats the way?

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC
Buying garages remotely is such a welcome addition but I still wish you could buy trucks "online" without the dumb requirements. Is the voice navigation thing part of the patch?

Fuzzie Dunlop
Apr 14, 2013
I really hope they pick up the pace with these releases, especially for the states that would make for a more sensible NM to WA route.

WA is like 2% of the lower 48 and that took 8 months. It'd be like 23 years for them to cover the 80% of the remaining US at this rate. I think I'll have a hard time really enjoying it until they hit the Mississippi.

I think about a year ago they were adding staff so hopefully that shows some results with more frequent releases over the next 6-12 months.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

It's been long enough that if they were going to seriously ramp up production like they said they were they'd probably have announced something by now. I think we just have to accept that as far as ATS goes, we will probably just get another half dozen states and that's it.

track day bro!
Feb 17, 2005

#essereFerrari
Grimey Drawer

ToastyPotato posted:

Buying garages remotely is such a welcome addition but I still wish you could buy trucks "online" without the dumb requirements. Is the voice navigation thing part of the patch?

Yeah I dunno why you need to own 5 trucks before you can do it. Should be available after maybe the second truck, it's not too difficult to mod out tho. I hope buying garages online isn't the same, I play with a much reduced economy anyway and it takes an age to even upgrade the first garage.

ToastyPotato posted:

It's been long enough that if they were going to seriously ramp up production like they said they were they'd probably have announced something by now. I think we just have to accept that as far as ATS goes, we will probably just get another half dozen states and that's it.

I think there are now two ATS map teams, but it's stil unlikely they'll get a complete US map. At least we should see another state this year I'm pretty sure.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

At least we'll get the best states first.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

Despite being from the Northeast, I am not really looking forward to seeing my region in ATS due to the scale. The NYC metro area would basically be a joke if they even tried it. I think what lets me enjoy these games so much is that I haven't been to any of the places they cover in real life.

track day bro! posted:

Yeah I dunno why you need to own 5 trucks before you can do it. Should be available after maybe the second truck, it's not too difficult to mod out tho. I hope buying garages online isn't the same, I play with a much reduced economy anyway and it takes an age to even upgrade the first garage.

I think there are now two ATS map teams, but it's stil unlikely they'll get a complete US map. At least we should see another state this year I'm pretty sure.

I'd say past your first truck, you should be able to do online purchases. And I shouldn't have to "discover" dealerships. I am supposed to be a pro trucker, I should know wtf a Peterbilt is and where to buy one. :colbert:

Another state this year would be nice. But they really need to be looking at bundle states at this point. Outside of Texas, most of the other states next in line are pretty sparse.

vetinari100
Nov 8, 2009

> Make her pay.
1.35 owns, I'm driving around Sardinia with Geralt telling me to turn left. Amazing.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

seriously, this game gets better every three months.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Washington Achievements

Oceanbound
Jan 19, 2008

Time to let the dead be dead.
The voice navigation said "finally, we've arrived" as I pulled into the depot. I wasn't ready to be judged like this.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

"It ends here" is a bit ominous

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL
Do I want to get a trailer? Like, have I been missing out on half the game because I never noticed the option, or is it more a "to taste" thing? :v:

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Edmond Dantes posted:

Do I want to get a trailer? Like, have I been missing out on half the game because I never noticed the option, or is it more a "to taste" thing? :v:

more to taste. Also, ownable trailers were added in 1.32.

Edmond Dantes
Sep 12, 2007

ALL SYSTEMS NOMINAL

Kilonum posted:

more to taste. Also, ownable trailers were added in 1.32.

That would explain why I never saw them before. I've been playing this for a while but I've lost my progress like 3 or 4 times, so I'm currently stuck in the "repaying first loan" limbo, where I have a single garage with 3 trucks but not enough money to buy another garage and the trucks for it, and I can't get another 400k loan yet.

Guess I need to drive more. :shrug:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

When you get right down to it the only thing you ever “need” to do is Quick Jobs. You get teleported to where you need to be and just drive somewhere. Everything on top of that is just adding something for yourself.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

are there any pedals out there that actually provide force feedback and make it feel like a proper clutch?

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Maybe? But so much of the “feedback” that would be useful in the clutch would probably be more feedback in the car as a whole when you gently caress up. I wouldn’t be able to feel the jumps and the skips if I don’t clutch smoothly or at the right times.

I might just be bad at driving manual but I don’t get the feedback out of the “pedal” as much as the car as whole. Also no idea how this translates to a big rig.

It’s very cool that the game will let you float gears though. That’ll solve your clutch feedback! :v:

E: Also thinking about it, I don’t know if I’ve noticed any driving games that treat the clutch as anything more than binary. Then again, most of them involving driving and clutching as fast as possible so it mostly wouldn’t matter.

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Jun 7, 2019

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

Anime Store Adventure posted:

Maybe? But so much of the “feedback” that would be useful in the clutch would probably be more feedback in the car as a whole when you gently caress up. I wouldn’t be able to feel the jumps and the skips if I don’t clutch smoothly or at the right times.

I might just be bad at driving manual but I don’t get the feedback out of the “pedal” as much as the car as whole. Also no idea how this translates to a big rig.

It’s very cool that the game will let you float gears though. That’ll solve your clutch feedback! :v:

E: Also thinking about it, I don’t know if I’ve noticed any driving games that treat the clutch as anything more than binary. Then again, most of them involving driving and clutching as fast as possible so it mostly wouldn’t matter.

Trukksim has at least few bitepoints. I've noticed if I'm stuck on a hill or something you can go full gas and 1/2 clutch to start getting rolling and it wont stall.

iRacing uses clutch as non-binary

I'm not sure of anything with FFB in the pedals so you get a real feel for it.

E:Yeah I do enjoy "floating" the gears.. pick the next gear.. mash clutch change gear.. pick next gera.. mash clutch etc..

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

tater_salad posted:

Trukksim has at least few bitepoints. I've noticed if I'm stuck on a hill or something you can go full gas and 1/2 clutch to start getting rolling and it wont stall.

iRacing uses clutch as non-binary

I'm not sure of anything with FFB in the pedals so you get a real feel for it.

E:Yeah I do enjoy "floating" the gears.. pick the next gear.. mash clutch change gear.. pick next gera.. mash clutch etc..

I guess you’re right- I did notice that with starting on a hill. I dunno, I’ve thought about a FFB clutch but I still don’t know if you’d get anything close to the “right” feel from the pedal except maybe the holding on a hill case.

The real thing would be a sort of FFB shifter to prevent you from shifting and simulating grinding, combine it with some kind of buttkicker that’ll shake your chair when you skip the wheels or rely too much on the synchros (again, probably neither possible in a big rig).

Anime Store Adventure fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Jun 7, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anime Store Adventure
May 6, 2009

Man, it has been awhile but I bought the Baltic DLC and jumped back in with the Oculus and DX11.

Performance is miles better than it was 1-2 years ago when their VR was new. Things are much improved visually and I don’t have weird “vibrations” of everything. Some of the text is blurry, like the speed limit on the in-cabin GPS (which is a problem of a lot of otherwise quality VR experiences like Elite: Dangerous) but otherwise it’s good. There’s also a couple weird things like the rain effect on the windshield that doesn’t properly “wrap” around the edges of the glass. There’s also some annoyances like the mirror setting UI that’s sort of inverted and also hosed up, but that’s livable since once you have it set it’s okay.

Beyond those bits, it’s great now. I can crank the graphics and not have bad FPS and it doesn’t feel super tacked on like it had before.

Unfortunately ATS doesn’t yet have an Oculus + 1.35 update, but hopefully it’s in the mix. At the very least I can entertain myself on Euro until it does and I get the urge to check out Washington.