Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

el dingo
Mar 19, 2009

Ogres are like onions
Graham Norton had keanu on his show recently doing promo stuff for jw3 and it was great. He's so enthusiastic about it, telling how he was talking to the director and had 'this vision of John in a suit in the desert with a dog' and the director was like yes keanu, we will do that. Then he had another vision of 'John riding a motorcycle and being chased by ninjas who are also on motorcycles' and the director again agreed that this was an excellent idea and it was just :allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

They could've cut the part where they go to Morocco without losing anything.

It's still a very fun film but the least good John Wick film.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

FreudianSlippers posted:

They could've cut the part where they go to Morocco without losing anything.

It's still a very fun film but the least good John Wick film.

So did you somehow not like John, Sofia, and two armored dogs taking down dozens of armed guards?

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Against all odds Halle Berry ended up being one of the best additions to John Wick 3, and I was worried she'd bring the whole thing down. She really impressed me.

Doomsayer
Sep 2, 2008

I have no idea what I'm doing, but that's never been a problem before.

Basebf555 posted:

Against all odds Halle Berry ended up being one of the best additions to John Wick 3, and I was worried she'd bring the whole thing down. She really impressed me.

Not only was she delightful, she set up the best part of the whole series when the doggos finally get to be the action heroes :3:

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Pope Corky the IX posted:

So did you somehow not like John, Sofia, and two armored dogs taking down dozens of armed guards?

Guy runs forward, obligingly waits to be shot, two second pause until dog bites him. Repeat fifty times.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Disgusting Coward posted:

Guy runs forward, obligingly waits to be shot, two second pause until dog bites him. Repeat fifty times.

I've seen the movie twice, that's not at all how that scene plays out.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
If you're gonna complain/nitpick about the action in the John Wick series good luck enjoying literally any other action series out there these days. Only other thing on that level is maybe Mission Impossible but they're hardly comparable.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Alan Smithee posted:

Speaking of family and Fast & Furious

Is Han coming back to life in Hobbes and Shaw?

If not what the gently caress

People involved with the franchise (maybe not currently though) expressed that they'd like to bring him back.
Least well get Mia in 9 again from what we know so far, and since Bryan isn't there for obvious reasons maybe she gets to be cool again instead of housewife.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer
Animals are the real stars of JW3.

I'm not even going to spoiler that. It's a common theme in the series.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan
Harrison Ford wants the character of Indiana Jones to never be played by any other actor. No reboot. No "young Indiana Jones". He is him and him is he.
Harrison Ford Would Rather Indiana Jones Die Than Be Played by Chris Pratt

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
Good. I hope they honor it. Prequels and reboots are the laziest thing in movies. Come up with something new. You can reuse themes if you want but why is Indian Jones the only guy who is allowed to find treasure and whack stuff with a whip?

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
I just saw Godzilla king of the monsters and I'm irritated some dude with a backwards turned red sox hat and a pats jersey didn't come out waving a bat at Gidorah saying something like "you don't mess wit tha great city on earf pal!" before getting stepped on.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Aleph Null posted:

Harrison Ford wants the character of Indiana Jones to never be played by any other actor. No reboot. No "young Indiana Jones". He is him and him is he.
Harrison Ford Would Rather Indiana Jones Die Than Be Played by Chris Pratt

I totally agree, but if I were Chris Pratt this would probably make me cry for days.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I have an irrationally irritating moment regarding myself.

Because I've never watched a Fast & Furious or a John Wick movie since they look pretty dumb on the surface and "guy shooting people" or "driving fast" don't interest me much generally.. I'm probably denying myself some good films but, over the years, in general, I tend to have a prejudice against what looks like "mindless action movie".

It's mostly served me well and I tend to wait until consensus is overwhelmingly in the "this movie kicks rear end" before I watch one like it. Die Hard, MI, Matrix, First Blood, some of the Jason Bourne films...eventually I'll come around but usually if the movie looks like "big star bad rear end with a gun makes quips and kills people complete with car chases and hot chicks", for some reason, I just roll my eyes and put it in the "no" category..

I don't even care for the majority of Bond pictures.

I think my judgement was tarnished growing up in the 80's, working in a video store and being inundated with so much goofy poo poo (The worst of Stallone, Arnold, Seagal, Willis, Van Damme, Gibson, etc.), which is a shame because there's a lot of cool movies in the genre - even with some of the guys I listed.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
John Wick has a lot of gratuitous deaths, but they appear to have more substance than a lot of action movies. One thing I liked about the new one is that bad guys kept fighting after getting stabbed or even shot. The Wick movies do a good job of ignoring the movie trope where a knife or gunshot kills the bad guys immediately so Wick always double or triple taps.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
My IIMM is the misconception that a double-tap means to shoot somebody in the head when the actual definition is putting 2 rounds in rapid succession into a target. Of course, if it's 2 rounds to the head then you're doubling the chances that those shots incapacitate the target.

Schubalts
Nov 26, 2007

People say bigger is better.

But for the first time in my life, I think I've gone too far.
It's one of the best parts of the series. John always goes for definite kill shots if he can, unless he wants you to suffer or doesn't actually want to kill you.

Setting the mute woman up to die slowly, in perfect contrast to the "professional courtesy" of giving the bodyguard guy a chance at getting to a hospital in time.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

IIMM for Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Kyle Chandler is called in by Monarch because he's related to the stuff going on and he just kind of completely takes charge even though he has no qualifications.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Android Apocalypse posted:

My IIMM is the misconception that a double-tap means to shoot somebody in the head when the actual definition is putting 2 rounds in rapid succession into a target. Of course, if it's 2 rounds to the head then you're doubling the chances that those shots incapacitate the target.

A lot people probably first heard of double taps in a zombie movie where you kind of have to shoot the head.

Regarding John Wick was it just me or did Wick get...more compassionate as the movie progressed. In the first big fight scene he went out of his way to throw an axe at an injured and probably dying assassin, but by the end he's letting ninjas live. I think there was at least one other opponent he didn't kill, but I can't remember which one it was. The only person I remember Wick sparing in the first 2 films was that doorman/bodyguard in JW1.

The two friendly ninjas probably survived so they can come back in JW4.

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

Gaunab posted:

I just saw Godzilla king of the monsters and I'm irritated some dude with a backwards turned red sox hat and a pats jersey didn't come out waving a bat at Gidorah saying something like "you don't mess wit tha great city on earf pal!" before getting stepped on.

If you like that kind of poo poo they made an entire Godzilla movie in 1998 you should check out.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

muscles like this! posted:

IIMM for Godzilla: King of the Monsters, Kyle Chandler is called in by Monarch because he's related to the stuff going on and he just kind of completely takes charge even though he has no qualifications.

He used to work for Monarch.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Davros1 posted:

He used to work for Monarch.

Yeah but he wasn't like, the boss of Monarch or anything like that. It just seemed weird like they needed someone to do things but he really didn't sell it. He just yelled at people and they would just acquiesce.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

LIVE AMMO ROLEPLAY posted:

If you like that kind of poo poo they made an entire Godzilla movie in 1998 you should check out.

I don't like that, I just hate Boston.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

el dingo posted:

Graham Norton had keanu on his show recently doing promo stuff for jw3 and it was great. He's so enthusiastic about it, telling how he was talking to the director and had 'this vision of John in a suit in the desert with a dog' and the director was like yes keanu, we will do that. Then he had another vision of 'John riding a motorcycle and being chased by ninjas who are also on motorcycles' and the director again agreed that this was an excellent idea and it was just :allears:

Were they Kawasaki Ninjas?

muscles like this! posted:

Yeah but he wasn't like, the boss of Monarch or anything like that. It just seemed weird like they needed someone to do things but he really didn't sell it. He just yelled at people and they would just acquiesce.

That's pretty much how being in charge works especially in a crisis.

cohsae
Jun 19, 2015

My IIMM for Don't Breathe is why not rob the dude's house during the daytime when he's out? So much less complicated!

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.

BiggerBoat posted:

I have an irrationally irritating moment regarding myself.

I'm not going to try and sell you on any of those other movies because I just watch them for light entertainment myself. But John Wick 1 is one of the best action movies ever made and should be watched by anyone who likes good movies.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

The Raid 2 suffered the same issue where they took an extremely tight, focused film with great, punchy pacing and expanded it by adding a lot more bloat and complicated plot beats.

Imo The Raid 2 even suffered by making the action scenes crazier, I felt desensitized by the end of the film and didn't feel the same catharsis as the original. If an action scene goes on too long, no matter how impressive or cool it is, it starts turning into droning noise as the adrenaline begins to peter out. It also didn't have the brutal escalation of the original where they went from rifles to pistols to truncheons and knives finally down to bare fists, exhausted and beat to poo poo.

The progression in The Raid 2 isn't nearly as impressive.

With all of that in mind, Mad Max: Fury Road and Road Warrior are both astounding achievements that despite the intense length and bombasity of their action scenes they somehow managed to keep me utterly engaged the whole time.
Green Room was also an example of this done well from a thriller standpoint.

Nutsngum
Oct 9, 2004

I don't think it's nice, you laughing.
The big issue with John Wick 3 is that the entire middle part of the film is rendered pointless 10 minutes into the final act. He visits the head of the table in some really ridiculous circumstances, is let back into the fold, loses a finger and then literally 10 minutes later renegs on the entire thing because Winston was being a stubborn dick about his position.

Loved the first two but its kind of wearing it thin now.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

the raid 2 was set up to fail anyway because how are you going to follow the movie that had the best mook murders in cinema. The "door" kill, ya'll motherfuckers know what I'm talking about

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Nutsngum posted:

The big issue with John Wick 3 is that the entire middle part of the film is rendered pointless 10 minutes into the final act. He visits the head of the table in some really ridiculous circumstances, is let back into the fold, loses a finger and then literally 10 minutes later renegs on the entire thing because Winston was being a stubborn dick about his position.

I kind of wonder about the skeleton crew of red shirt bellhops who were apparently willing to face down the incoming Crime Illuminati Death Squad so Winston could continue to have a prestigious, cushy job. All the other mooks in these movies were either caught off guard or outnumbered John and his allies.

Probably some trenchant social commentary in that though.

Dr Christmas has a new favorite as of 06:03 on Jun 1, 2019

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Krispy Wafer posted:

A lot people probably first heard of double taps in a zombie movie where you kind of have to shoot the head.

Regarding John Wick was it just me or did Wick get...more compassionate as the movie progressed. In the first big fight scene he went out of his way to throw an axe at an injured and probably dying assassin, but by the end he's letting ninjas live. I think there was at least one other opponent he didn't kill, but I can't remember which one it was. The only person I remember Wick sparing in the first 2 films was that doorman/bodyguard in JW1.

The two friendly ninjas probably survived so they can come back in JW4.

Weirdly enough, they make it kinda plain in that scene that they aren't trying to actually kill Wick. Zero (Angry Iron Chef Wick Fanboy) decreed that Wick can only die by his hand, so they were just taking advantage of the fact they got to fight a famous dude. They gave him a few times to get up and get in position before starting up again, and when they finally got hosed up enough, they just called it quits. Wick knew they weren't trying to kill him, so he didn't really have any reason to kill them either.

Nutsngum posted:

I kind of agree, but it also threw Wick off as well, which let Winston get a few shots off. Wick wasn't expecting to get double crossed, and Winston has been in the game long enough to know that body shots aren't gonna kill Wick, so he gave him the only exit he could while keeping up appearances. Wick's gone, the lady saw him get shot by his friend, Winston gets to keep the hotel, and Wick is out there ready to take on the high table. I imagine Winston is gonna get a shot to the dome eventually from him, but it set up the next chapter pretty well. There wasn't much plot to work with from movie 1 to 2, but 2 to 3 was set up nicely, and this rolls into 4 pretty smoothly.

The only JW3 IIMM I had was it seemed like a few of the shots that involved killing a bunch of dudes had some mistimed bits, where people would just kinda stand there and wait to get shot before trying to do something. Like that dude in TDKR where Batman and Catwoman are beating thug asses, and he's just off by himself acting like he got hit. They just sort of pop out and don't shoot, and then get shot or attacked by dogs or whatever. I get John being slower, since all this poo poo (1, 2 and now 3) is going on for like a solid week now with minimal downtime, but not so much the other random redshirts.

Also, no one shot at the dogs that I noticed in the big scenes where there's lots of people seeing the dogs gently caress up other people on their team. That was kinda weird. If I have a giant pissed off angry dog running at me, I'm gonna scream but I'm also gonna try to shoot it. I mean, the gun is IN YOUR HAND anyway.

Anyway, go watch the first JW and it's an amazing tactical film with reloads and realisitic rear end kicking and shooting and no real quips to be had. JW2 starts to go a bit more sci fi and less realism, and JW3 just goes off the loving rails and is amazing for it.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander has a new favorite as of 07:40 on Jun 1, 2019

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

Also, no one shot at the dogs that I noticed in the big scenes where there's lots of people seeing the dogs gently caress up other people on their team. That was kinda weird. If I have a giant pissed off angry dog running at me, I'm gonna scream but I'm also gonna try to shoot it. I mean, the gun is IN YOUR HAND anyway.

please, they're assassins, not cops

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Shooting a dog is what started this whole mess in the first place.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

The Raid 2 suffered the same issue where they took an extremely tight, focused film with great, punchy pacing and expanded it by adding a lot more bloat and complicated plot beats.

Imo The Raid 2 even suffered by making the action scenes crazier, I felt desensitized by the end of the film and didn't feel the same catharsis as the original. If an action scene goes on too long, no matter how impressive or cool it is, it starts turning into droning noise as the adrenaline begins to peter out. It also didn't have the brutal escalation of the original where they went from rifles to pistols to truncheons and knives finally down to bare fists, exhausted and beat to poo poo.

The progression in The Raid 2 isn't nearly as impressive.

What will really bug you is that The Raid 2 is the movie they wanted to make first.

Herr Bazooka
May 21, 2007

Lil Swamp Booger Baby posted:

With all of that in mind, Mad Max: Fury Road and Road Warrior are both astounding achievements that despite the intense length and bombasity of their action scenes they somehow managed to keep me utterly engaged the whole time.

This, imo, can be attributed to practical effects. You might not notice CGI but your brain does notice. Its much more engaging watching real people do dangerous stunts than cartoons do them.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Regarding the dogs in JW3, iI’m going to guess it’s really tough to react to sleek fur missiles at night when you know John loving Wick is nearby with a gun. It was somewhat unrealistic, but at least they showed the dogs as support instead of killing machines themselves. I don’t think they killed anyone. They just knocked you down, robbed you of your manhood, and kept you busy until someone else put 2 shots in your head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do yourselves a favor and look up the behind the scenes stuff from John Wick Chapter 3. The sheer amount of time and effort they had to put into the dog attack scene is loving incredible. The dogs were trained to only bite the green screen colored portions of the outfits. And every single person that would be on set, from Keanu and Halle down to the grips had to be present for all the training up from the beginning up until the shooting of the scene so the dogs would be comfortable with their routine.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Wait...so those weren’t CGI? I figured they were fake like any Marvel superhero when he’s wearing a full suit with mask.

Ok, impressed now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Krispy Wafer posted:

Wait...so those weren’t CGI? I figured they were fake like any Marvel superhero when he’s wearing a full suit with mask.

Ok, impressed now.

The only “faked” parts were that the green screen colored portions of the outfits not only provided a target for the trained dogs, but also allowed for the post production addition of blood and gristle and such.