Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bees on Wheat posted:

My workplace has a sign that says something like "30 days without a lost time incident", which doesn't sound like much, but it also hasn't been updated in over a year. :downs:

Not sure if that means we've gone 400+ days without an incident, or we just stopped tracking them. Who knows?! :confuoot:

Any workplace that has a sign out the front like that should be tracking TRIFR and other injury rates, and presenting them in meetings to the workforce monthly.

They're not doing that, so they don't care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
CCTV footage of the Budapest river boat accident is dreadful to watch, no warning the small tourist boat just disappears into strong currents in rain and darkness as a big river cruiser bumps into it. 33 passengers and two crew were onboard, only seven survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Yz_wav39s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_Hable%C3%A1ny

Double Punctuation
Dec 30, 2009

Ships were made for sinking;
Whiskey made for drinking;
If we were made of cellophane
We'd all get stinking drunk much faster!

Nenonen posted:

CCTV footage of the Budapest river boat accident is dreadful to watch, no warning the small tourist boat just disappears into strong currents in rain and darkness as a big river cruiser bumps into it. 33 passengers and two crew were onboard, only seven survived.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3Yz_wav39s

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sinking_of_Hable%C3%A1ny

Of course The Sun would post that poo poo and not age-restrict it.

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Memento posted:

Any workplace that has a sign out the front like that should be tracking TRIFR and other injury rates, and presenting them in meetings to the workforce monthly.

They're not doing that, so they don't care.

Yeah honestly I have no idea what they track and/or how. loving lol at the idea of monthly meetings, though. We have hundreds of people at this location, and nowhere near enough giveafuck. Better hope you're on the email list for the company newsletter!

Platystemon posted:

Do you work at Black Mesa?

Nah, Black Mesa probably has better training materials.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Bees on Wheat posted:

Yeah honestly I have no idea what they track and/or how. loving lol at the idea of monthly meetings, though. We have hundreds of people at this location, and nowhere near enough giveafuck. Better hope you're on the email list for the company newsletter!

There's 1100+ people at my site, each department has monthly safety meetings and we have one day a quarter where someone different on the executive level gives a quarterly safety and production presentation a total of 10 times, so everyone gets a chance to go to it.

What do you do? I'm in mining, we have a pretty decent impetus to stay safe, operationally and legislatively.

Ornamental Dingbat
Feb 26, 2007

Platystemon posted:

There are three people in this story and they have all been injured recently on the job.

Incredible.

The best thing about that cookout was the package car driver that arrived back at the hub with a severed thumb- he closed it in the bulkhead at the last knuckle. The center manager had to stop grilling to drive him to the ER after the guy drove 20 minutes with the remains of his hand wrapped up in one of those rain bags.

Bonus:
Please do not drag your tires:

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Boy, seven, in critical condition after rollercoaster fall
https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2019/may/31/boy-in-critical-condition-after-rollercoaster-fall-lightwater-valley-yorkshire

quote:

A seven-year-old boy who suffered head injuries after falling from a rollercoaster in Yorkshire is in a critical condition in hospital, police have said.
The boy was taken to Leeds General infirmary after the incident at the Lightwater Valley theme park, near Ripon, North Yorkshire, on Thursday.
Witnesses said the boy fell up to 15ft (4.5 metres) from the Twister ride at the attraction, with one saying they heard loud screams before seeing a child on the ground.

Witnesses said they saw the boy hanging out of the back of the moving ride, on which people board a waltzer-shaped carriage for “an epic ascent to the treetops”, according to the theme park’s website.
Mark Charnley said he saw the boy hanging out of the ride before falling “12 or 15ft” to the ground. “He was hanging outside of the actual carriage … two seconds after that he fell out of the carriage to the floor,” he told Sky News.
“After that, everybody in the queue started shouting at [the] operator of the ride to shut it down because he hadn’t noticed what had gone on. About 12 or 15 seconds after that, he realised what had happened and closed the machine down.”

ekuNNN fucked around with this message at 13:50 on May 31, 2019

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Platystemon posted:

There are three people in this story and they have all been injured recently on the job.

Incredible.

I work in a sawmill, and while our site is pretty drat safe (we keep getting awards for it) it blows my mind what goes on in other mills. There are so many stories of guys fixing jams in chipping systems and getting their hands/feet/entire bodies pulled in when all they had to do was stop the fuckin conveyor.

My job sometimes requires liveworks to align the machinery. We have a piece of kit called a curve sawing gang, basically a big sawbox that sits on a dance floor and gets pushed around by 3 big hydraulic cylinders. I had my chest against the sawbox, my back against an immovable upsteam infeed module. I was stretching out to place an alignment tool inside the sawbox when I felt the sawbox start to fuckin move and shake.

I jumped out of that machine and came close to walking off site. Didn't feel like being crushed. Apparently a bad hydraulic valve or tempo made one of the hydraulic cylinders try and drift, while the other two fought to keep the sawbox in place, causing the whole thing to shake like a bastard

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

What would be a potential cause of an oxygen tank explosion? Someone I know had her house burn down last week and they said it was medical oxygen tanks exploding while they slept. I imagine a sealed tank would require quite a lot of heat being applied!

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

chitoryu12 posted:

What would be a potential cause of an oxygen tank explosion? Someone I know had her house burn down last week and they said it was medical oxygen tanks exploding while they slept. I imagine a sealed tank would require quite a lot of heat being applied!
AFAIK most injuries/deaths relating to personal medical oxygen supplies are associated with people who just can't give up smoking.

This happened at a site I used to provide phone service to just a few weeks ago: https://fox8.com/2019/04/23/police-man-in-wheelchair-caught-on-fire-while-smoking-outside-nursing-home-and-died/

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

If the oxygen tank actually ruptured and there was an ignition source nearby, they probably wouldn't have made it out alive. In a pure oxygen atmosphere things like wool blankets will go up like gasoline. Not to mention the sheer mechanical destruction from the pressure inside the tank.

A slow leak (damaged fitting on an oxygen mask, etc) could turn something like a smoldering cigarette into a rapid fire, though. That seems more likely to me

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Sagebrush posted:

A slow leak (damaged fitting on an oxygen mask, etc) could turn something like a smoldering cigarette into a rapid fire, though. That seems more likely to me

Back in high school metal shop when we got to the oxyacetylene torch part of the year the teacher put on a good show with a cheap t-shirt and a grinder to demonstrate the risks of pure oxygen.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Ornamental Dingbat posted:

Bonus:
Please do not drag your tires:

I work in Transportation/Logistics IT, and when working on the telematics systems, at my previous employer, I worked at our maintenance shop about 2 miles from where I live. One night, I was headed home, and pulled out of the gravel yard onto the asphalt highway, and spotted a dually skidmark that had just pulled out also. I kept driving, and the skidmark just went on, and on. Right turn at the red light, and it still continues, completely unbroken. About 1.5 miles down the road, sure enough, there's one of our trailers pulled off the road with the hazards flashing. How do you not know you have a locked up brake? I mean, even if you have AC/DC cranked on the radio, it literally generates a smoke screen behind you.

BlankIsBeautiful fucked around with this message at 18:14 on May 31, 2019

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I work in Transportation/Logistics IT, and when working on the telematics systems, and at my previous employer, I worked at our maintenance shop about 2 miles from where I live. One night, I was headed home, and pulled out of the gravel yard onto the asphalt highway, and spotted a dually skidmark that had just pulled out also. I kept driving, and the skidmark just went on, and on. Right turn at the red light, and it still continues, completely unbroken. About 1.5 miles down the road, sure enough, there's one of our trailers pulled off the road with the hazards flashing. How do you not know you have a locked up brake? I mean, even if you have AC/DC cranked on the radio, it literally generates a smoke screen behind you.

Lol, nice. Imagine doing that with a 1/2 ton pick-up truck and all four locked up on the trailer. The guy made it a full mile down the road from the depot. "I wanted to make it to the gas station before I pulled off.", he says, on a road with plenty of places to park and no traffic at that early hour. $1000 of work to get the thing rolling again, no obvious damage to the truck (points to Chevrolet). The route owner was furious.

TLDR: "gently caress it, it ain't my equipment" is why.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost
The roller presses at some shops I go to have a sticker that says "Take care of this machine, it pays your salary" on them. I wonder how many people take it to heart.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

If the oxygen tank actually ruptured and there was an ignition source nearby, they probably wouldn't have made it out alive. In a pure oxygen atmosphere things like wool blankets will go up like gasoline. Not to mention the sheer mechanical destruction from the pressure inside the tank.

Here’s the house:

They all smoke and knowing the family I’d imagine the place was filled with flammable crap. They made it out with just the clothes on their backs. It happened while they were sleeping.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

Nocheez posted:

The roller presses at some shops I go to have a sticker that says "Take care of this machine, it pays your salary" on them. I wonder how many people take it to heart.

When I'm training some new guy one of the first things I tell them is: be careful around this thing (soil sampling/drilling machine). It'll kill you without a second though, and it won't feel bad after it does.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

wolrah posted:

AFAIK most injuries/deaths relating to personal medical oxygen supplies are associated with people who just can't give up smoking.

chitoryu12 posted:

They all smoke and knowing the family I’d imagine the place was filled with flammable crap. It happened while they were sleeping.

I don't think I have ever been less surprised in my life.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I work in Transportation/Logistics IT, and when working on the telematics systems, at my previous employer, I worked at our maintenance shop about 2 miles from where I live. One night, I was headed home, and pulled out of the gravel yard onto the asphalt highway, and spotted a dually skidmark that had just pulled out also. I kept driving, and the skidmark just went on, and on. Right turn at the red light, and it still continues, completely unbroken. About 1.5 miles down the road, sure enough, there's one of our trailers pulled off the road with the hazards flashing. How do you not know you have a locked up brake? I mean, even if you have AC/DC cranked on the radio, it literally generates a smoke screen behind you.

I destroyed 3 grand worth of tires because my TPV froze up and the trailer i was pulling had enough air to keep the lift axles up, but not enough to keep the brakes unlocked, and the only axle on the ground didn't have enough brake power to create any drag, so as i drove the trailer lost air and the lift axes started dragging :(

In my defense, it was in the dark and i had a little engine, so i drove flat out pretty much all the time.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

wolrah posted:

Back in high school metal shop when we got to the oxyacetylene torch part of the year the teacher put on a good show with a cheap t-shirt and a grinder to demonstrate the risks of pure oxygen.

Oh man torch welding with no filler rod is the most badass feeling

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Shut up Meg posted:

I don't think I have ever been less surprised in my life.

My question was specifically about tanks exploding as that was the claim they made when asking people for help. I was surprised because I figured a stationary, non-leaky tank suddenly exploding while sitting in a regular house was implausible unless they left it sitting on a hot stove burner overnight.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

chitoryu12 posted:

My question was specifically about tanks exploding as that was the claim they made when asking people for help. I was surprised because I figured a stationary, non-leaky tank suddenly exploding while sitting in a regular house was implausible unless they left it sitting on a hot stove burner overnight.

They don't explode.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rupture_disc

But they can do good impressions of rockets

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ny8DHg5klw

Shut up Meg fucked around with this message at 19:11 on May 31, 2019

Marathanes
Jun 13, 2009

Nocheez posted:

Not my means of production. gently caress the capitalist class, they can afford to pay to fix it.

Nocheez
Sep 5, 2000

Can you spare a little cheddar?
Nap Ghost

Marathanes posted:

Not my means of production. gently caress the capitalist class, they can afford to pay to fix it.

If the line shuts down, they might just send you home. No hours = no food on the table, and for many of these guys it's their last chance to make a decent living (lots of felons end up swinging a hammer).

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Nocheez posted:

If the line shuts down, they might just send you home. No hours = no food on the table, and for many of these guys it's their last chance to make a decent living (lots of felons end up swinging a hammer).

If they are really up against the ropes, I heard that two hours pushing broom buys an eight by twelve four bit room.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Yeah, oxygen tanks don't just spontaneously explode.

I'd put money down that either the fittings were leaking or they left it on somehow, a cigarette ignited an oxygen-fueled fire that burned much more rapidly than normal, and as the house burned down the tank's rupture disc blew out and it seemed like an explosion as they stood outside. The initial event was not the tank suddenly blowing up out of nowhere.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Sagebrush posted:

Yeah, oxygen tanks don't just spontaneously explode.

I'd put money down that either the fittings were leaking or they left it on somehow, a cigarette ignited an oxygen-fueled fire that burned much more rapidly than normal, and as the house burned down the tank's rupture disc blew out and it seemed like an explosion as they stood outside. The initial event was not the tank suddenly blowing up out of nowhere.

The smoldering cigarette comment was probably spot on. They swore they were all asleep when it happened but they all smoke, so they probably didn't stub one out properly.

Oh like this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqbWc5bzoiE

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

Cojawfee posted:

If they are really up against the ropes, I heard that two hours pushing broom buys an eight by twelve four bit room.

Sure man but no phone, no pool or no pets?

thatguy
Feb 5, 2003

Willfrey posted:

Tools of capitalist dogs

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

What the gently caress did they think was going to happen there?

Hasn't everyone seen the video where the guy half kills himself by shooting at a refrigerator full of tannerite?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=57RtRPYpAjY

oh wait I was actually thinking of the one with the lawnmower full of tannerite, sorry
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6V0S1m5a7U

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 23:24 on May 31, 2019

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

Willfrey posted:

No cigarettes either.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Does anyone still have that video of a TFR meetup from 10 years ago or whatever (goon levels in that video are critical) where a big box of tannerite blows up sending wood shrapnel all over and injuring one of the goons in the leg? The one that has someone shout CEASE FIRE BITCH

Nuevo
May 23, 2006

:eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop::eyepop::shittypop:
Fun Shoe

spankmeister posted:

Does anyone still have that video of a TFR meetup from 10 years ago or whatever (goon levels in that video are critical) where a big box of tannerite blows up sending wood shrapnel all over and injuring one of the goons in the leg? The one that has someone shout CEASE FIRE BITCH

It's definitely still around. That box of tannerite was like, right on the firing line and I'm pretty sure it was just for storing the tannerite not shooting at, and some moron lit it up.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
"ahh gently caress I knew I shouldn't have parked it in that neighbourhood"

(click for huge)

Bees on Wheat
Jul 18, 2007

I've never been happy

QUAIL DIVISION
Buglord

Memento posted:

There's 1100+ people at my site, each department has monthly safety meetings and we have one day a quarter where someone different on the executive level gives a quarterly safety and production presentation a total of 10 times, so everyone gets a chance to go to it.

What do you do? I'm in mining, we have a pretty decent impetus to stay safe, operationally and legislatively.

Food service :downs:

I work at a pretty big venue that hosts concerts, sporting events, etc. so we employ a ton of people and half-rear end train most of them. Sometimes they'll send me temps that act like they've never even seen food before and I'm somehow supposed to train them while supervising everyone else in my area, taking care of my paperwork, and god knows what else.. all while the event is actually going on. Every shift I'm supposed to give a safety talk and have my crew sign a form confirming they got it, but they never give me any sort of training materials covering the topic. One time it was "slips, trips, and falls" and my talk was basically "don't slip, trip, or fall. It'll probably hurt." Last shift I worked it was Staph A., which I was able to give a decent presentation on, only because I took a course on infectious diseases in college, some 10 years ago. Too bad I was working with an utter moron who didn't care about or comprehend anything I said.

Upside is that it's actually a union job so the pay is pretty good and I could file a complaint if there was anything particularly grievous happening. v:shobon:v

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Mustached Demon posted:

Did you properly relabel it?

It's relabeled in my mind.

But for real I don't think any tape would stick for long to write words on so barring buying some(thing?) to relabel a can in my own shed that only goes into my own mower...not high on my priority list.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

tangy yet delightful posted:

But for real I don't think any tape would stick for long to write words on so barring buying some(thing?) to relabel a can in my own shed that only goes into my own mower...not high on my priority list.

Gaff tape can be written on with a sharpie and will stick to pretty much anything forever. Don't leave gasoline in a mislabeled can.
https://www.amazon.com/Professional-Premium-Grade-Gaffer-Power/dp/B00LMNYFHI

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

Bees on Wheat posted:

Food service :downs:

I work at a pretty big venue that hosts concerts, sporting events, etc. so we employ a ton of people and half-rear end train most of them. Sometimes they'll send me temps that act like they've never even seen food before and I'm somehow supposed to train them while supervising everyone else in my area, taking care of my paperwork, and god knows what else.. all while the event is actually going on. Every shift I'm supposed to give a safety talk and have my crew sign a form confirming they got it, but they never give me any sort of training materials covering the topic. One time it was "slips, trips, and falls" and my talk was basically "don't slip, trip, or fall. It'll probably hurt." Last shift I worked it was Staph A., which I was able to give a decent presentation on, only because I took a course on infectious diseases in college, some 10 years ago. Too bad I was working with an utter moron who didn't care about or comprehend anything I said.

Upside is that it's actually a union job so the pay is pretty good and I could file a complaint if there was anything particularly grievous happening. v:shobon:v

Your username is fantastic

That's all

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

tangy yet delightful posted:

Safe at home safe at work, comrade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

I work in Transportation/Logistics IT, and when working on the telematics systems

I'm super interested in this because I drive fleet vehicles and can say that our telematics loving sucks. It's absolutely worthless to detect actual dangerous behavior (I've seen vehicle stability control kick in on wet roads with not a peep from the telematics) but triggers all the time on events like "turning into a sloped driveway at more than two miles per hour."

I have no doubt that in the aggregate it reduces the accident rate from x.x to x.(x-1) and more practically reduces fleet insurance cost but what a pain in the rear end.