Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Junpei posted:

This seems like a good time to ask: Have you had any ideas for something you'd like to see in Persona 6?

Skipping over all the obvious stuff involving gender, sex, and LGBT stuff that already has been covered in the thread? Go to college instead of sticking to the high school formula that all the games use.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Stroth posted:

Skipping over all the obvious stuff involving gender, sex, and LGBT stuff that already has been covered in the thread? Go to college instead of sticking to the high school formula that all the games use.

That'd be great, wouldn't it? Sure, I get that the whole 'emulation of Japanese high school' is part of what kicked off the series' popularity from 3 onward, but I worry they're scared to change the formula. Like, all these side games are meek attempts at breaking the mold, but it feels like they won't commit.

fucking love Fiona Apple
Jun 19, 2013

samus comfy so what

Hopefully they'll be more adventurous with the formula now that the old director is gone.

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Drakenel posted:

I worry they're scared to change the formula.

5 at least took a step away from it by not using the school as a central focus of the story and the main source of social links.

Malah
May 18, 2015

Oh, wow, I was keeping up with this thread and then I forgot that NG+ is a thing that exists and wow that Kawakami romance :wtc:

This game keeps delivering, and we've got the standard superboss format it looks like

Malah
May 18, 2015

Grapplejack posted:

Sae Yanara, ace prosecutor.
:yeshaha:

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

During the badposting I was thinking about how the whole protag-dates-adults thing would be so much worse if you were playing the adult.
But it got me thinking that, as long as it doesn't try those kind of romances, having the protagonist be a teacher would be pretty fun. Keep the high school setting but now you're an adult teaming up with your colleagues trying to help these kids grow up right and/or save them from paradinensional horrors.

It'd never happen but it's fun to imagine.

Req.Martyr
May 4, 2016

I don't go by my caste, creed, or religion. My works speak for me.

Yo holy poo poo that would be great. I actually love that as a concept and hope that they do it (correctly) at some point

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

We’ll let you know how Fire Emblem Three Houses goes in a few months.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

ChaosArgate posted:

We’ll let you know how Fire Emblem Three Houses goes in a few months.

I don't trust IS to handle it after the mess they made with Fates and the otaku pandering in FEH

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Stop taking the coward's path and give the mc siblings.

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

RareAcumen posted:

Stop taking the coward's path and give the mc siblings.

We don't need to turn persona into fire emblem fates.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Stroth posted:

a college setting just makes so much sense to me for the series, but maybe that's just my perspective from sitting on this end of the pacific ocean

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

Tenebrais posted:

During the badposting I was thinking about how the whole protag-dates-adults thing would be so much worse if you were playing the adult.

Well, technically, there's already the Ken Social Link in P3P.

ManlyGrunting
May 29, 2014

Junpei posted:

As much as I like the knock-down, All-Out Attacking Persona battle system we've had from 3-5, a part of me wants the battle system to be redone from Persona 6 and on. The social ideas, too. I've tossed around ideas in my head for some systems (skill trees for party members where you unlock new skills by meeting certain parameters, both socially and battle wise), but nothing concrete.

This seems like a good time to ask: Have you had any ideas for something you'd like to see in Persona 6?

A theme of getting out of a broken institution: starter persona is Abdiel, final cutscene persona is the motherfucking Demi-Fiend.

That's just what my dream scenario if I could write it myself is, anyway.

e: also I'm glad y'all liked my rambling effortpost that I made while drunk out of my mind. Honestly I was kind of worried I was going to be probated for it.

ManlyGrunting fucked around with this message at 17:53 on May 31, 2019

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
but which color should dominate the entire aesthetic

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Gruckles posted:

We don't need to turn persona into fire emblem fates.

Nothing should ever become Fire Emblem Fates.

YaketySass posted:

but which color should dominate the entire aesthetic

Green. We've hit every other primary color and purple was the theme of the first game. Of course, outlawing purple would indicate that they'd bother to acknowledge the first two games at all and P5 sharing red with the second game(s) shows that probably isn't happening.

Geostomp fucked around with this message at 18:09 on May 31, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Okay, I'd like to elaborate on my skill tree idea, if that's okay, but I'm going to ask first if I can do that. Because it could be a bit long.

GuyUpNorth
Apr 29, 2014

Witty phrases on random basis

loving love Fiona Apple posted:

I'll be extremely disappointed if the P6 protagonist isn't a woman.

P3P had a Social Link with Junpei that didn't end in romance and it was one of the best. I don't know why they haven't done that since. A Shiho confidant would have been perfect for that.

Series is too set in its modern pattern by now to have solely female MC. If Atlus really wanted they could implement choice between male/female in initial game with all the writing entailed.

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
I had this crackpot idea for a Persona game that tweaks the formula of "protag arrives in new town for reasons and doesn't know anyone there," by having it be the protagonist returning to a hometown they moved away from when they were a kid. All the social links could be preceded by a little scene of what the character was like in the past, before the protag left, compared to how they are now. That, or have the game's prolific l prologue be that past portion, followed by a time skip to when the protag returns to start the game proper.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
"I think [insert anime or anime related product] shouldn't be set in high school."

Congratulations, you are correct but also poo poo out of luck.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
(Premise), but in high school. The idea that will never die. :argh:

That and (Premise), but with a harem and nice guy protagonist.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
"[Premise] but in high school" made things better exactly once, and that was with Batman Beyond.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Considering the success of Persona 4 and especially Persona 5, I'd have thought it would have more clones. Visual Novel-ish scenes + RPG doesn't seem like that hard of a thing to copy. The clones that do exist go from mediocre to really bad though so maybe I'm wrong.

lunar detritus fucked around with this message at 21:54 on May 31, 2019

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

lunar detritus posted:

Considering the success of Persona 4 and especially Persona 5, I'd have thought it would have more clones. Visual Novel-ish scenes + RPG doesn't seem like that hard of a thing to copy. The clones that do exists go from mediocre to really bad though so maybe I'm wrong.

Are you talking about Mind = Zero or however it's formatted?

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Junpei posted:

Are you talking about Mind = Zero or however it's formatted?

I was mostly thinking about Conception and The Caligula Effect: Overdose.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

lunar detritus posted:

I was mostly thinking about Conception and The Caligula Effect: Overdose.

I see what you mean with Conception, but I don't think The Caligula Effect deserves that, for two reasons:

1. TCE is written by Tadashi Satomi, who wrote for the early, pre-3 Persona games
2. The Caligula Effect is actually somewhat critical of the high school setting, given that it's in a VR world where adults can pretend to be teenagers and not have to deal with life.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

(Premise), but in high school. The idea that will never die. :argh:

That and (Premise), but with a harem and nice guy protagonist.

I'm sad that Tiny Toon Adventures didn't get to have a sequel like that.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

RareAcumen posted:

I'm sad that Tiny Toon Adventures didn't get to have a sequel like that.
I know you meant high school but for a second I read it as though you were referring to the latter half of the post and my reaction was pure :stonklol:

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I mean if we're talking about changing the formula you could shift to an American college pretty easily, because it would be extremely close to what the Persona series is (events, getting to walk around town, relationships with classmates, etc) while letting you have older characters. I don't know if the Japanese college system is close to that or if you could do it with that one too but I understand it's also kind of similar.

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

If nothing else, I'm expecting the sequel to have a lot of green, and focus on the themes of envy and charity.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

PMush Perfect posted:

"[Premise] but in high school" made things better exactly once, and that was with Batman Beyond.

A good show but I wouldn't say it was better than B:TAS.

So they're really not going to let you buy Royal as an expansion, eh?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

AnAnonymousIdiot posted:

If nothing else, I'm expecting the sequel to have a lot of green, and focus on the themes of envy and charity.

Joke’s on you. It’s going to be purple and focus on senseless violence and be the Saints Row 5 we never got.

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Arbite posted:

A good show but I wouldn't say it was better than B:TAS.

So they're really not going to let you buy Royal as an expansion, eh?

Royal changes too much to be an expansion. It’d be a programming nightmare to try to add that much to the base game as it is and not have it collapse.

azren
Feb 14, 2011

Tenebrais posted:

But it got me thinking that, as long as it doesn't try those kind of romances, having the protagonist be a teacher would be pretty fun. Keep the high school setting but now you're an adult teaming up with your colleagues trying to help these kids grow up right and/or save them from paradinensional horrors.

Holy poo poo, that sounds awesome! I mean, you're probably right about it never happening, but it's fun to dream sometimes.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

Junpei posted:

Okay, I'd like to elaborate on my skill tree idea, if that's okay, but I'm going to ask first if I can do that. Because it could be a bit long.

Just post.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Tenebrais posted:

You actually could pull this off, I think. Thanks to baby boomer-controlled modern media narratives and cultural/economic circumstances, 20- and 30-somethings have kind of been infantilized into just being Big Teenagers, so you probably could get away with using the same kind of hot mess work-in-progress character tropes and archetypes seen in a normal* Persona cast only on ostensible adults this time around.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
Alright, since I finally got my blessing for that idea, I'm gonna let it rip.

So, the basic idea is simple. Every Persona-user has 3 or 4 'skill trees', each named after a facet of their personality, which ties into their skills. I'll create an example right now: A medical student named Noriko Shinda. Her three trees are Kindness, Efficiency, and Wittiness, each representing her desire to help people who are suffering, her ability to plan and study, and her quick wit and sharp tongue.

You unlock nodes on the chart by meeting specific parameters. For example, attacking a certain number of times, landing killing blows on enemies, healing, buffing or debuffing in battle. It can also be out of combat parameters-finding a certain amount of a certain type of item, like medicine, food, weapons, armor, etc. or seeing certain scenes involving them.

Noriko's Kindness branch focuses on healing abilities. She starts with Dia, and she upgrades that to Diarama and Diarahan by acquiring types of medicine. She gets Media, and upgrades it into Mediarama and Mediarahan and finally Salvation by seeing scenes at hospitals and completing sidequests involving helping people in pain. Her revival skills are based on using healing items during battle, and her ailment curing abilities are based on using healing skills.

Noriko's Efficiency skills are mostly passives, with some buffs as a side bonus. She can boost drop rates by landing killing blows, reduce her own chances of getting hit with ailments by curing them, whether by items or by skills, she can get Sukukaja and the all-target version by being in battle while someone (enemy or ally) dodges, and she can raise EXP and Money gains by attacking.

Wittiness is about her Ice magic and is raised, surprisingly, through being in battle with certain individuals-usually the dumber or more impulsive members of the group, representing her being the sarcastic Team Mom of the group. It's mostly linear, seeing as she really only has 7 skills in it (Bufu, Bufula, Bufudyne, Mabufu, Mabufula, Mabufudyne, and her ultimate, Absolute Zero).

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Sounds like a variation of like, Xenoblade 1’s passive skill trees? And/or the way Soul Hackers determines what skills Nemissa learns through the game?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Addendum IX: Sega Bass Fishing

For the third time in a row, I’m spending my birthday working on this loving LP! And probably for many more birthdays to come!

Heading to Harajuku, huh? Let’s head to the meeting place.

Music: Break it Down

With this many people, there has to be gossip around, maybe even rumors about the Phantom Thieves. I’m curious to know what other people think about them.

You run a forum for the Phantom Thieves, my dude. I wouldn’t think you’d be hurting for info.

We might even find a bad guy or two… Well, just you wait. This is going to be helpful, Hamiru. I can promise you that.

I’m sure.

Oh, Sakamoto.

It’s not what it looks like, Ryuji! We’re not hanging out!

Took you long enough to notice me… What are you doing out, Sakamoto? Could you be… on a date!?
Hell no!

Ryuji is weirdly offended by Mishima’s accusation that he’s getting some.

I’m lookin’ for workout clothes. Heard they’ve got a pretty sweet selection here. But some of ‘em are dirty… And have a funky smell…

They’re probably used…
Well, you guys free? Wanna grab a bite?
We haven’t found anything yet… What do you think?

What do you want to eat? Can we get crepes?
What are you, a chick?

And then they went to go eat.

Oh, crap… I forgot all about our investigation… I guess I should go home for now. Thanks for today.

Well, that’s one side event down, but we’ve got another to see before we do anything else.

Let’s meet up then.
Meiji Shrine, huh? I never thought Lady Ann would be into that traditional stuff… Oh, we shouldn’t make her wait. Let’s go.

Music: Some old shrine-ish music that isn’t on the soundtrack

Should we try praying to the gods, too? It could be about us.

O-Oh, uh, don’t get the wrong idea! I meant “us,” like, the Phantom Thieves!

Ann, we’re dating. What the gently caress are you talking about?

Oh, but… I don’t really know how to pray properly. What should I do? Maybe I’ll ask someone…

OH GOD, ABORT MISSION

Are you on a date? Such an odd location for someone your age.

Maaku is just sweating profusely. Takemi will murder us if she figures this out.

*gulp*

Um… Is this someone you know, Maaku?
Don’t worry about me. I don’t intend to intrude.

Oh… I assume you’re here for your college entrance exams. You had mentioned them before.

Yes, and I was lying.

Shake the bell twice and put in your offering. Then bow twice, clap twice, and bow once again. ...Wasn’t that what you wanted to ask?

Sure. Although… You may want to use this time to actually study for the exams instead of praying.

That’s the doctor who gets us our medicine.
Oh, I see… Wait, you’ve been here the whole time!?
How rude! I’m here to protect you…!
Yeah, sure… Anyway, what is this about praying for college entrance exams?
We asked earlier if she could get us some super stimulants to help us study.
Ah, I see.

A cheater? None of those around here, hehehe! I think we fooled her, guys

Thanks for today. Let’s go home.

After those pointless events, we head into Mementos to take care of some requests. But… there’s a problem. One of our requests, taking care of Hifumi’s mother, is in a block of Mementos that isn’t available yet. I had assumed that the game put requests only in blocks that were accessible at the time you can get to them. I was incorrect in this assumption, clearly. It really throws a wrench in some of my plans, though.

Also, we gently caress up against the twins again while we’re here.

Anyway, time to fish! The rain is good for this for a few reasons, one of which is that the Guardian, the ultimate fish, is much more likely to show up.

The other reason is that almost every single fish will have a tag on it. Catching a fish with a tag will double our point gain for its capture. Because I have read the fishing guide from Shinjuku, using Third Eye while fishing will show me which fish have tags. Those fish are shimmering in this picture, while the golden one is the Guardian.

We fail to catch the Guardian once again, sadly.

However, we get the Miracle Rod, the best rod in the game, while we’re here. This rod has five “HP,” which are drained each time we gently caress up and the bobber in the fishing bar is thrown all the way to either side. The starting rod only has two, with every rod increasing by one. Your rod also carries over between playthroughs.

A few days later, we try again. Come on, Guardian, show me what you’re made of.

COME ON YOU MOTHERFUCKER

I’m not gonna make it…!

We did it! :toot:

Way to go! You caught the Guardian! I can really feel your love for the fishing pond.

We end the evening with 25,000 points, which still isn’t nearly enough for the best rewards. We probably won’t come back here again. Oh well, time to exercise!

If you think of this wooden dummy as your friend, not just a tool, you’ll get even better results. ‘

We get incredible gains from using the dummy to our full potential here.

Ohya Rank 9: Part 140: 11/11

Music: Alright (Elp Version)

That couple act…

Let’s take one out of the ol’ Navarro playbook.

Th-Then… wait. You really thought we were dating?

B-But, I… um… I… What I’m trying to say is…

If you’re this smooth now, who knows how big of a player you’re gonna be when you get a little older!

Oh, believe me, you have no idea.

You’re gonna dump me, huh!?

...Just kidding. I’d understand if you decided to dump me someday though. I mean, you have a bright future ahead of you… so I’d probably just be holding you back. …… But I guess I can stick around until then.

Let’s keep this a secret from Lala-chan… God, I can already hear her teasing me about it!

Maybe you deserve it for dating a teenager.

Well then… Good night.

Anyway, because Hifumi’s request couldn’t be completed earlier, we need to come back to Mementos as soon as that block unlocks. And while we’re here, we might as well fight the twins again, right?

Uh-oh.

A crit? gently caress.

Baton Pass!?

Thankfully, all they do here is Dekaja with Pixie to get rid of an automatic buff. They can also Dekunda away any debuffs on themselves when they Baton Pass. It can actually get much worse for us than that; if we don’t have any buffs or debuffs up, they’ll start targeting the rest of the party’s weaknesses.

You know, this isn’t going unbelievably terribly. We’ve made more progress than we ever have before, even if most of the party is dead.

Uhhhhhhhh, what?

gently caress

Okay, so if it wasn’t clear: this battle is on a timer. We have to deal enough damage to the two before five turns elapse or they’ll use Ardha to unavoidably knock us down and then use their All-out Attack to kill us instantly. It’s hilarious.

Well then, let’s go to Sky Tower today. I wanna see that view. OK, let’s head out. Lala-chan, put it on my tab.

Ohya Romance

Music: What’s Going On?

...It reminds me of the time I came here with Kayo.

Aww, how sweet.

Since I’ve been re-examining my career as a journalist recently… I wanted to come back here. And… I wanted to talk to you about…

Sorry.

The draft went through!? Whoa! Nice job getting the approval!

It’s about their origin and the root of the problem they’re trying to solve. ...I think it really captures the spirit of journalism.

The higher-ups were against it, but this expose has been very popular with our readers. Since we’ve sold so many copies, there’s nothing they can do about it… or us. So, we’re planning to throw in additional articles while we have the chance.

Music: Sunset Bridge

I’m going to uncover the truth… I swear to Kayo. Thanks… again. Whenever I felt like giving up, you encouraged me to keep going. It’s all thanks to you that I was able to get this far…

The chief’s change of heart happened exactly the same way as those other cases. And the timing was absolutely perfect. You’re the only one who could have orchestrated all that.

Lala-chan’s more of a… phantom menace. Aw crap, she’s gonna be so pissed! I’m convinced from all the recent coverage that the Phantom Thieves truly are valiant. Helping the weak… Punishing the bad… They actually do all those things. In a sense, you and I have the same objective. We both want to expose the ills of society… Sooo, I won’t tell anyone about your true identity. Let’s form a united front to fight evil. ...If it weren’t for you, I never would have been able to return to my journalist self.

How cheesy.

I’m gonna return the favor one of these days, all right?

I feel a strong bond with Ohya…

Music: Sweet

Let’s go someplace I can have fun with a minor… Like, maybe an amusement park…?

I thought the purpose of this was to do the opposite of infantilize me.

Or…

I cannot imagine what Ichiko’s home looks like. The closest I can get is picturing a hovel filled with empty alcohol containers.

I’m not a very good cook, but I’ll make you something…

I just want to… relax with you. Eat some delicious food, have some dessert, lie around…?

Well, that’s… up to you. ...Shall we go?

The scene fades out...

And then we’re immediately back home talking to Morgana, so I guess we weren’t there for very long! :v:

Anyway, that’s the romance for Ichiko Ohya, our resident disaster lesbian. It’s nice that at least the onus is on the cooking and emotional intimacy rather than the steamy sex with an adult here. Well, mostly.

Arist fucked around with this message at 22:00 on Sep 4, 2019