Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Why do folks think Loras should’ve been the one to kill Gregor? On what planet would he have won? He pulled a neat trick with his horny-horse but toe to toe I don’t think he stands a chance.

Also not sure I see how the “20 good men” were traitors to Ned? I think GRRM is just fond of twenty hot man bodies and I don’t read into it much more than that. Beric’s men, afaik, were all with him when he found and got killed by the mountain.

As for the thread: as long as there’s a thread to talk shop I’m good. I’ve been lurking these forums for 15 years and just joined 7 years ago, and I never thought to look for an Ice and Fire thread. And now I’m finally here, you are all very fortunate!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

chaosapiant posted:

Why do folks think Loras should’ve been the one to kill Gregor? On what planet would he have won? He pulled a neat trick with his horny-horse but toe to toe I don’t think he stands a chance.

Also not sure I see how the “20 good men” were traitors to Ned? I think GRRM is just fond of twenty hot man bodies and I don’t read into it much more than that. Beric’s men, afaik, were all with him when he found and got killed by the mountain.

As for the thread: as long as there’s a thread to talk shop I’m good. I’ve been lurking these forums for 15 years and just joined 7 years ago, and I never thought to look for an Ice and Fire thread. And now I’m finally here, you are all very fortunate!

I think they meant politically, getting the Tyrells into a blood feud with the Lannisters that early when they spring their trap and Loras gets crushed by the mountain would have helped.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Tender Bender posted:

I think they meant politically, getting the Tyrells into a blood feud with the Lannisters that early when they spring their trap and Loras gets crushed by the mountain would have helped.

Didn’t think of that, totally makes sense. Granted that requires a level of forward thinking and savvy so far beyond Ned I have no words for the rest of this sentence.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wonder if 'Arya sails West' came from gurm but in his version it's to escape an endless stream of assassins pissed off she broke her loyalty to then.

Dr. Video Games 0112
Jan 7, 2004

serious business

chaosapiant posted:

In ASoIaF Cleganebowl would be forshadowed but then subverted when 20 good men kill him, only because huge guy dying to wound infection was already taken.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if 'Arya sails West' came from gurm but in his version it's to escape an endless stream of assassins pissed off she broke her loyalty to then.

You would think an organization that guarantees delivery when you take out a contract, would at some point have some kind of reprisal against someone who learns their skills and walks out. Religions always hate heretics worse than unbelievers.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I liked how Jaqen H'ghar just kinda did the Neverending Story bookshop guy nod when Arya killed one of (the only other?) his assassins and ran away. Really gave that whole chapter a satisfying ending.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011

Solice Kirsk posted:

I liked how Jaqen H'ghar just kinda did the Neverending Story bookshop guy nod when Arya killed one of (the only other?) his assassins and ran away. Really gave that whole chapter a satisfying ending.

I think you might be confusing the show and the books. I didn't like a lot of the changes the show made to the Arya in Harrenhal scenes, in the show Jaqen kills a ton of Lannister's to free Arya because she said his name as her last owed life.

In the books she named him as the third kill and he kills a bunch of Lannister's to free a bunch of Northmen and basically Harrenhal ends up switching from Lannister hands to Bolton's but Arya is still a captive. She actually has to kill a guard on her own to escape, who she tricks into bending over by showing the coin Jaqen gave her and then she slits the guards throat and escapes with Hot Pie and Gendry.

I liked the book version a lot better because it didn't have Arya requiring rescuing and she escaped on her own, plus it was her first 'trickster' kill and it was a nice foreshadow of her eventual facelessman trainjng

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah I always thought that was a weird way to assassinate someone - get them very drunk and count on a giant boar to gore them to death? That seems very....convenient

I always assumed that being gored by a charging boar was a cover story. The truth was Lannister treachery while Robert was roaring drunk while out hunting.

A Typical Goon
Feb 25, 2011
Robert was alive when he got back to the Kings Landing, he basically said to Ned the boar got him and it was his own fault

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah no matter what he'd had to drink I imagine he'd remember getting speared by Lancel loving Lannister.

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year

A Typical Goon posted:

I think you might be confusing the show and the books. I didn't like a lot of the changes the show made to the Arya in Harrenhal scenes, in the show Jaqen kills a ton of Lannister's to free Arya because she said his name as her last owed life.

In the books she named him as the third kill and he kills a bunch of Lannister's to free a bunch of Northmen and basically Harrenhal ends up switching from Lannister hands to Bolton's but Arya is still a captive. She actually has to kill a guard on her own to escape, who she tricks into bending over by showing the coin Jaqen gave her and then she slits the guards throat and escapes with Hot Pie and Gendry.

I liked the book version a lot better because it didn't have Arya requiring rescuing and she escaped on her own, plus it was her first 'trickster' kill and it was a nice foreshadow of her eventual facelessman trainjng

Ok everyone, if the bad thread is going to survive people are going to have to understand when people are making jokes

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mike N Eich posted:

Ok everyone, if the bad thread is going to survive people are going to have to understand when people are making jokes

that seems like an unrealistically big ask, considering

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kylaer posted:

Varys straight-up says that if it hadn't been the boar, it would have been a fall from his horse or a stray arrow or something more explicitly murdery.

there's all kinds of ways a guy who's too drunk can die in the woods without that guy being an overweight, aging, notably bloodthirsty jock already insecure from proving too fat to participate in his own tournament

in the books cersei even 'forbids' robert from participating in the tourney to get his dander up.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

Mike N Eich posted:

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

that seems like an unrealistically big ask, considering

I'm pretty sure this was a meta-joke.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah no matter what he'd had to drink I imagine he'd remember getting speared by Lancel loving Lannister.

Sersei got speared by Lancel and she's so blitzed she probably forgot.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

PittTheElder posted:

If he was hella drunk, in pain from being speared, and dosed to the gills with milk-of-the-poppy he'd probably have agreed with any retelling of how he got hurt told him by anyone who appeared to have known what happened.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

Mike N Eich posted:

Yeah I always thought that was a weird way to assassinate someone - get them very drunk and count on a giant boar to gore them to death? That seems very....convenient

I assume they had been trying this for years and that this was the time the boar actually got him.

They probably made sure he was drunk in doing all kinds of dangerous things.

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
The thread should never get closed but still keep everyone talking about how it's gonna happen in an indeterminate future.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

Speaking of Arya book/show changes, I don't like how her first kill is portrayed in the show. In the books it was deliberate because she was desperate. In the show the dumb kid basically falls on her sword accidently. It's a minor change but it's a huge change in her character.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Mad Hamish posted:

If he was hella drunk, in pain from being speared, and dosed to the gills with milk-of-the-poppy he'd probably have agreed with any retelling of how he got hurt told him by anyone who appeared to have known what happened.

This seems like an unnecessary complicated conspiracy theory. There's no evidence whatsoever Lancel actively speared Robert. They weren't hunting alone, and Selmy (in teh books at least) says Robert commanded them to stand aside. You don't go boar hunting with just one person. And people would be able to tell the difference between a boar wound and a spear wound. And Lancel would be covered in blood. And he's like 15. And he breaks down immediately when Tyrion threatens him.

I'm sure if I bother to think about it I can think of more reasons why Robert was killed by a boar. Oh right, Cersei celebrates by eating boar all the time, I doubt she'd have the cunning to keep up the pretense of a boar killing Robert by eating boar just to make the lie consistent.

YaketySass posted:

The thread should never get closed but still keep everyone talking about how it's gonna happen in an indeterminate future.

Well played.

chaosapiant posted:

Speaking of Arya book/show changes, I don't like how her first kill is portrayed in the show. In the books it was deliberate because she was desperate. In the show the dumb kid basically falls on her sword accidently. It's a minor change but it's a huge change in her character.

It seems like the show did that to make characters more empathetic or something. In the books at least Dany says yes to Drogo before they have sex, afaik in the show he basically just rapes her. Making Arya's first murder into manslaughter seems like the same schtick, it also removes agency from (coincidentally I'm sure) female characters.

kcroy
May 30, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo

PupsOfWar posted:

We know jeyne's mother snuck messages out to the Lannisters and provided information that was used to set up the Red Wedding

Wait what now? How do we know this?

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Didn't lancel explicitly switch out robert's drink with "strongwine" so he'd gently caress it up? I thought that was explicitly how they did it. Robert did indeed believe it was his own fault because, well, he was drunk and got gored, but he was drugged.

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
didnt he go hunting because somebody said they saw a white buck? the whole thing was a setup.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

pseudanonymous posted:

It seems like the show did that to make characters more empathetic or something. In the books at least Dany says yes to Drogo before they have sex, afaik in the show he basically just rapes her. Making Arya's first murder into manslaughter seems like the same schtick, it also removes agency from (coincidentally I'm sure) female characters.
Killing Meryn Trant, already a huge rear end in a top hat who personally killed Arya's mentor, after also showing him to be a ludicrous pedophile monster, was more of the same. Raff the Sweetling ain't exactly an innocent but grrm explicitly goes the other way. He humanizes him a bit in Jaime's chapters, has Arya admit to herself that she can barely remember one of the mountain's men on her list from the other, and then she goes through with it anyway. Despite the fact that both were villainous, the book goes out of the way to make Arya's actions unnerve you a bit, while the show hangs a big flashing "AWFUL VILLAIN" sign on the guy she kills.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 23:20 on May 31, 2019

Kylaer
Aug 4, 2007
I'm SURE walking around in a respirator at all times in an (even more) OPEN BIDENing society is definitely not a recipe for disaster and anyone that's not cool with getting harassed by CHUDs are cave dwellers. I've got good brain!

violent sex idiot posted:

didnt he go hunting because somebody said they saw a white buck? the whole thing was a setup.

The white hart being spotted was the trigger for the hunting trip, and they found it, but it had already been killed and mostly eaten by wolves. So it wasn't a complete fabrication, apparently.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Kylaer posted:

The white hart being spotted was the trigger for the hunting trip, and they found it, but it had already been killed and mostly eaten by wolves. So it wasn't a complete fabrication, apparently.

And then a lion ate half the wolves eating the stag and a rose fell out of its coat and then they were all burned by wildfire. Foreshadowing, more like fiveshadowing!

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Solice Kirsk posted:

And then a lion ate half the wolves eating the stag and a rose fell out of its coat and then they were all burned by wildfire. Foreshadowing, more like fiveshadowing!

i wish there was a combo :manning: and :hmmyes:

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

kcroy posted:

Wait what now? How do we know this?

Jaime finds out about it during his Riverlands adventures in AFFC.

The other Westerlings seem not to've known anything, but the mother, Sybil Spicer, cops to having been an informant for Tywin.

She also brags about forcing abortificients on Jeyne to ensure there is no secret fetal Stark heir.

in theory i guess sybil could by lying, but this all seems like stuff jaime could easily verify if he wanted to

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

there's all kinds of ways a guy who's too drunk can die in the woods without that guy being an overweight, aging, notably bloodthirsty jock already insecure from proving too fat to participate in his own tournament

a fun thing w/ cersei's assassination method is that hypothetically she could have tried to kill Robert before, and this just happened to be the time it worked

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Yeah, I've no doubt with Arryn out of the way Cersei would have amped up her 'kill Robert' plans, and likely would have had him killed in some other fashion on that hunt. They just got lucky with the boar after his wine had been spiked.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I always assumed the wine was at the very least super fortified. But everyone always goes on and on about all the different types of poisons, there's probably one that would make him groggy or off balance or something. I mean more so than usual. Still no guarantee. Who knows if they had a contingency plan though.

Ain't no bitch made Lannister spearing Robert with Selmy right there though, that's stupid.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
It's a really bad plan. He's a depressed party animal with a national mandate to do whatever he wants. Dude was probably the realms foremost expert on getting drunk. It's like secretly making a pro race car drivers car slightly faster and hoping he hits a wall instead of just enjoying the hell out of it.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I thought it was outright stated in the books that Lancel had been giving him way stronger wine than he was used to drinking.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Lancel was definitely doping him with something.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Intel&Sebastian posted:

It's a really bad plan. He's a depressed party animal with a national mandate to do whatever he wants. Dude was probably the realms foremost expert on getting drunk. It's like secretly making a pro race car drivers car slightly faster and hoping he hits a wall instead of just enjoying the hell out of it.

Well it was a plan devised by Cersei and executed by Lancel so it would make sense it's dumb.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

strongwine is like, brandy, im pretty sure
after gluggling down multiple flagons of brandy im pretty sure even a giant guy with the tolerance of a habitual alcoholic would be blind drunk

A Typical Goon posted:

So I was reading the appendixs last night cause I'm a nerd like that and I have what I think is an original theory about the books that are never coming out. The appendix seem to hint at a possible Reach Civil War] We are constantly told through the books that the Reach is the most powerful region and the most powerful houses are the Tyrells, the Florents of Brightwater Keep, the Hightowers in Oldtown and the Tarlys. During Clash of Kings the Florents declare for Stannis because he's married to a Florent, but then Stannis eventually kills the Lord of the family (alester) for a +10 wind magic bonus. The next time the Florents really come up is in King's landing when they have their lands stripped due to the rebelling and their castle granted to Garlan Tyrell, the second Tyrell son.

I dont think it comes up again except for Garlan leaving to try to take back Brightwater Keep, but the appendix have a bunch of characters that arent even mentioned in the series that could come into play with this plotline. Apparently Alester had a son and a bunch of daughters that are married into very strong Reach houses. The appendix says his son Alekyne fled to Oldtown, where his sister Rhea is Lady Hightower. If it was just this I wouldnt have thought much of it but it turns his other sister is Melissa Tarly and married to Randyll Tarly. It seems a bit too coincidental that this character never mentioned yet that has a claim on the second best seat in the Reach just happens to be a brother in law to the Lords of the third and fourth best seats. Would the rest of the Reach lords be cool with the Tyrells controlling both Highgarden and Brightwater?

In Principle there is nothing wrong with the Tyrells controlling both of those seats. Starting cadet branches in other holdings is something the great houses are expected to do. The Hightowers for one thing likely wouldn't mind since garlan is lord hightower's grandson.

That said, "Randyll Tarly will betray the Tyrells, maybe in favor of Aegon" is an existing fan theory and his Florent marriage is part of the evidence for it.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Like I understand they wanted to make Daario handsome but still weird and exotic which is why they cast the dude with the face but then when the guy leaves for greener pastures they recast him with the human representation of all the default choices in the character creation menu of a mid budget game

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

Didn't lancel explicitly switch out robert's drink with "strongwine" so he'd gently caress it up? I thought that was explicitly how they did it. Robert did indeed believe it was his own fault because, well, he was drunk and got gored, but he was drugged.

Yes. But there's a pretty big difference between giving someone stronger drink than they expect and gutting them with a spear.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

esperterra posted:

thus the thread should never die

So is this thread just one big toxx?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

If the books finally come out, I say we all accept a specially crafted permaban with a picture of the Absolute Fucker cert and "What is dead may never die" as the tag.