Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Doctor Spaceman posted:

People would still hate him because he was the Emperor's right hand for two decades, regardless of what he did in his final moments.

He may have killed kids, hunted some monks to extinction, blown up a planet (technically not him) and he didn't even say that he was sorry. All he did was toss the Emperor in a shaft.

In that same vein, how will they handle Kylo. :allears: Surely this will end well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beeez
May 28, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

There was exposition in TFA?
I suppose "The First Order is terrible, A new emperor has arisen and Luke is hiding" counts as exposition. But it's not very good exposition.

There's also Snoke reminding Ben who his dad is and what the order of knights he leads is called.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It just blows my mind that TFA just kind of hand waves away what happened over 30 years in this universe and acts like we should already know why Luke is missing, Leia is running some weird Republic splinter group, and Han is once again back to his old poo poo

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

FlamingLiberal posted:

It just blows my mind that TFA just kind of hand waves away what happened over 30 years in this universe and acts like we should already know why Luke is missing, Leia is running some weird Republic splinter group, and Han is once again back to his old poo poo

Luke's disappearance is at least treated as a mystery to most of the character and as a big part of the plot.

No excuses for the rest of them though.

Flavius Aetass
Mar 30, 2011

FlamingLiberal posted:

I bet you're still wondering about my red arm too

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
He doesn’t even have the red arm anymore at the end of the movie

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

well it's less 'you should already know' and more 'you shouldn't care in the first place'

which to be fair can work in other 'read this other thing to find out more!' pieces of media, but the gaps in TFA's backstory are a lot more egregious. they just wanted han and leia to be where we remember them being decades ago and they let the details of how/why they regressed back to those points get sorted out in EU books later

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

When you exclusively rely on nostalgia to make the audience care, but you also actively scorn their interest in the characters the nostalgia revolves around, that's-a-JJ

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Zoran posted:

He doesn’t even have the red arm anymore at the end of the movie

lmao, you're right!

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

Mooey Cow posted:

lmao, you're right!

Wow, what a great looking shot.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Like the rest of the movie, 3PO's red arm is a flashing neon reference to something from Original Trilogy that was just a subtle piece of worldbuilding and character history (3PO's silver leg, which was present but never mentioned in all of the original movies).

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Darth TNT posted:

He may have killed kids, hunted some monks to extinction, blown up a planet (technically not him) and he didn't even say that he was sorry. All he did was toss the Emperor in a shaft.

I can see it now...

Vader dying in Luke's arms: "I'm sorry Luke, sorry for all the horrible things I did that you don't know about. Things you'll find out about in 20 years when the next set of movies come out. I'm sorry for Tarkin blowing up Alderaan even though that wasn't my decision, by the way."

Man that'd be poignant way to end the OT.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

It’s just a nod to Hideo Kojima.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
“Luke, i’m already a Jedi.”

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yea it kind of expects you to be half-way intelligent so you can fill in the blanks on your own. Odd, I know.

I was similarly outraged that ANH didn't explain the Galactic government in detail other than telling us that the Senate had just been abolished. It made zero sense to me until I took this thing called a "history class" and learned about the Romulan Empire.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

that the empire had just abolished the senate is exactly the kind of establishing detail that TFA lacks

there's no 'filling in the blanks' that gets you to correctly understand what planet gets blown up in TFA without outside reading

Preston Waters
May 21, 2010

by VideoGames

Robot Style posted:

Like the rest of the movie, 3PO's red arm is a flashing neon reference to something from Original Trilogy that was just a subtle piece of worldbuilding and character history (3PO's silver leg, which was present but never mentioned in all of the original movies).

Yea, it was literally there to represent the amount of time that had passed and all the crazy poo poo all the characters have been through that we aren't privvy of.

Brother Entropy posted:

that the empire had just abolished the senate is exactly the kind of establishing detail that TFA lacks

there's no 'filling in the blanks' that gets you to correctly understand what planet gets blown up in TFA without outside reading

Minus the scene where Fin literally states that it was the Galactic capital system. :downs:

And if you can't understand the dynamics of what the "Resistance" is compared to the Republic, you need to read a lot more contemporary history. Like, a lot.

Preston Waters fucked around with this message at 01:24 on Jun 2, 2019

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Preston Waters posted:

Yea, it was literally there to represent the amount of time that had passed and all the crazy poo poo all the characters have been through that we aren't privvy of.

Why is his normal arm back at the end of the movie?

Preston Waters posted:

Minus the scene where Fin literally states that it was the Galactic capital system. :downs:

And if you can't understand the dynamics of what the "Resistance" is compared to the Republic, you need to read a lot more contemporary history. Like, a lot.

Without elaboration, the implication is that the capital system that got destroyed was the one we've seen before, i.e., Coruscant. But outside sources explain that it actually wasn't.

What do you think the Resistance is? What does it mean to be a “resistance” that is actually a covert arm of the ruling government?

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

thrawn527 posted:

Huh. I had doubts when I saw how much of it was just pencil drawings of Transformers.

Dude just loves him some old school Transformers and can draw them pretty well. He'll often delete all his tweets and rebrand the twitter as a fake account to get weirdos to stop asking him questions that don't need to be asked.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

Preston Waters posted:

Yea it kind of expects you to be half-way intelligent so you can fill in the blanks on your own. Odd, I know.

I was similarly outraged that ANH didn't explain the Galactic government in detail other than telling us that the Senate had just been abolished. Empire.

This is a dumb argument because you're comparing the blank slate of ANH with TFA which takes place in a heavily explored universe and therefore the has different standards for setting the proverbial stage, and explaining what the hell is going on, which they purposfully failed so they could have hooks to sell their other gaudy merchandising like books or videogames or whatever poo poo they're trying to sell.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
Just compare the title crawls

Episode IV Title Craw posted:

It is a period of civil war.
Rebel spaceships, striking
from a hidden base, have won
their first victory against
the evil Galactic Empire.

During the battle, Rebel
spies managed to steal secret
plans to the Empire's
ultimate weapon, the DEATH
STAR, an armored space
station with enough power to
destroy an entire planet.

Pursued by the Empire's
sinister agents, Princess
Leia races home aboard her
starship, custodian of the
stolen plans that can save
her people and restore
freedom to the galaxy.....

Episode VII Title Crawl posted:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the
REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa
leads a brave RESISTANCE.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace
and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke's whereabouts....

Which one sets the stage better?

YaketySass
Jan 15, 2019

Blind Idiot Dog
This argument is weird because it's entirely based on the notion that endings don't matter and the stage can constantly be resetted off-screen without the audience getting to complain that you're yanking their chain. Catharsis? What's that?

It also ignores that there were three movies (now five with Rogue One and Solo) dedicated to how we got there, and that that structure was planned well in advance. If TFA had no greater ambition than being a new ANH, it should have been titled Episode X, not VII.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
Yeah, Disney wants us to care about every waking moment of the lives of the OT characters, including how they got their names and personal possessions, while simultaneously making their stories nothing more than a prelude to the story of their boring new characters. Really weird strategy.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

Just compare the title crawls

Which one sets the stage better?
The First order then completely decides to ignore Luke. :v:

We also have no idea why the Republic needed a resistance and why they don't have an army. :shrug: What ever happened to the Rebel fleet that attacked the Death Star? (Except apparently they did and they apparently get blown up with not Coruscant.)
Also, the old ally is just some old guy no one knows. Instead of I don't know a General Dodonna, Lando, Nien Numb, Ackbar, Wedge Antilles (I know the actor didn't want to reprise) or hell even the guy with the weird head implants from cloud city. Literally anyone other than a no name old guy.

Joking aside, there's honestly, there's nothing wrong with the intro crawl at all and you setting them next to the original one from a new hope demonstrates this clearly.
It's just that the intro crawl doesn't seem to be related to the movie(s) that followed it. :(

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

We also have no idea why the Republic needed a resistance and why they don't have an army. :shrug: What ever happened to the Rebel fleet that attacked the Death Star? (Except apparently they did and they apparently get blown up with not Coruscant.)
Also, the old ally is just some old guy no one knows. Instead of I don't know a General Dodonna, Lando, Nien Numb, Ackbar, Wedge Antilles (I know the actor didn't want to reprise) or hell even the guy with the weird head implants from cloud city. Literally anyone other than a no name old guy.

Joking aside, there's honestly, there's nothing wrong with the intro crawl at all and you setting them next to the original one from a new hope demonstrates this clearly.
It's just that the intro crawl doesn't seem to be related to the movie(s) that followed it. :(

I think the first one does a good job of setting the stage for the state of the galaxy. We know there is a civil war between an evil Empire and Rebels. The Rebels apparently are at a disadvantage because they are in hiding, and their opponents have a superweapon. It's pretty cut and dry, and simple for the audience to follow. Of course, it doesn't have the pressure of filling in the blanks that the TFA has to.

The next one sets things up like this. Luke left, and that leads to the First Order succeeding the Empire. The First Order wants Luke dead. Leia is left dealing with the First Order by leading a Resistance that is supported by the Republic for reasons. Oh, by the way, there is a Republic. So...which party is the dominant power? The crawl implies that the First Order is in charge, but the movie treats it like the Republic is. It also doesn't explain why the Republic needs to support resistance fighters instead of fighting the First Order head on. IMO, it's a pretty lovely plot setting. If I was writing it, I would have done something like this:

quote:

The galaxy is in a delicate
state. The Empire is broken,
but still alive. Its remains have
formed the vile FIRST ORDER,
which plots in secret to regain
power.

The nascent Republic,
unable to agree on how to
deal with this new threat,
has turned to Leia Organa to
form a covert RESISTANCE
to oppose them.

To make matters worse,
Luke Skywalker is missing.
Leia has sent her best agent
to the planet Jakku to search
for clues to find the last Jedi.
Alas, her agent is not the
only one who seeks him...

But I'm just a dumbass, so what do I know.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Bogus Adventure posted:

I think the first one does a good job of setting the stage for the state of the galaxy. We know there is a civil war between an evil Empire and Rebels. The Rebels apparently are at a disadvantage because they are in hiding, and their opponents have a superweapon. It's pretty cut and dry, and simple for the audience to follow. Of course, it doesn't have the pressure of filling in the blanks that the TFA has to.

The next one sets things up like this. Luke left, and that leads to the First Order succeeding the Empire. The First Order wants Luke dead. Leia is left dealing with the First Order by leading a Resistance that is supported by the Republic for reasons. Oh, by the way, there is a Republic. So...which party is the dominant power? The crawl implies that the First Order is in charge, but the movie treats it like the Republic is. It also doesn't explain why the Republic needs to support resistance fighters instead of fighting the First Order head on. IMO, it's a pretty lovely plot setting. If I was writing it, I would have done something like this:

But I'm just a dumbass, so what do I know.

Amazing, every word of what you just said is right. :)

I agree the first one is perfect for every reason you state.

The second one is not bad, but it's inconsistent to itself and to the movie that follows. The first paragraphs sets the stakes well enough. Luke is gone and the Empire is reborn.
But the second paragraph is where it goes off the rails. Like you said why is there a Resistance when the Republic is in power? Or was the First Order in power? :iiam:
I don't have a problem with it mentioning that Republic exists, the Empire collapsed probably because the Emperor died and time has passed so a Republic was formed. :shrug: It's not much different than saying that there is an evil Empire in the first crawl. It's something I'm willing to accept with no buts.
Your rewrite fixes the New Republic/Resistance issue. But I think it can be made serviceable and clear with even a minor rewrite:

Episode VII Title Crawl posted: posted:

Luke Skywalker has vanished.
In his absence, the sinister
FIRST ORDER has risen from
the ashes of the Empire
and will not rest until
Skywalker, the last Jedi,
has been destroyed.

With the support of the
REPUBLIC, General Leia Organa
leads a search party.
She is desperate to find her
brother Luke and gain his
help in restoring peace
and justice to the galaxy.

Leia has sent her most daring
pilot on a secret mission
to Jakku, where an old ally
has discovered a clue to
Luke's whereabouts....

In hindsight, it's pretty silly that they only send one guy to follow up their only lead.

Mooey Cow
Jan 27, 2018

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Pillbug

Darth TNT posted:

Can't believe you don't know who the venerable Tikka-mas-ala is :colbert:

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

So we're all agreed that the title crawls are in fact canon to the Star Wars universe and that there's walls of text slowly floating through the cosmos that tell bits and pieces of a larger story, right?

Beeez
May 28, 2012
They're manifestations of the will of the Force itself.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Darth TNT posted:

Amazing, every word of what you just said is right. :)

I agree the first one is perfect for every reason you state.

The second one is not bad, but it's inconsistent to itself and to the movie that follows. The first paragraphs sets the stakes well enough. Luke is gone and the Empire is reborn.
But the second paragraph is where it goes off the rails. Like you said why is there a Resistance when the Republic is in power? Or was the First Order in power? :iiam:
I don't have a problem with it mentioning that Republic exists, the Empire collapsed probably because the Emperor died and time has passed so a Republic was formed. :shrug: It's not much different than saying that there is an evil Empire in the first crawl. It's something I'm willing to accept with no buts.
Your rewrite fixes the New Republic/Resistance issue. But I think it can be made serviceable and clear with even a minor rewrite:

In hindsight, it's pretty silly that they only send one guy to follow up their only lead.

Well, I did my best to keep things consistent with what is shown in the movie and what is mentioned in the new expanded universe stuff. The Republic Senate can't agree on how to tackle the First Order, with the majority in charge not seeing it as an imminent threat. A minority of Senators and former Rebel Alliance officers want to attack it, so they form the private Resistance. I think it's meant to be more than a search party, as they do drive the First Order away from Takodana. :shrug:

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Vinylshadow posted:

So we're all agreed that the title crawls are in fact canon to the Star Wars universe and that there's walls of text slowly floating through the cosmos that tell bits and pieces of a larger story, right?

Yeah the death star in the next movie is going to harvest them and shoot letters at planets

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
is it really hard to understand a political group having an extraparliamentary wing?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
the republic being filthy fucks who decide covertly funding an illegal terrorist organization is the way to combat a peaceful, if fascist state, is the way to go seems a bit weird if we're to root for them.

magiccarpet
Jan 3, 2005

It's fun when you can ask 'why are they fighting' and have no real answer for three movies

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

exmarx posted:

is it really hard to understand a political group having an extraparliamentary wing?

There are plenty of plausible explanations, we just aren't really given one.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Wild Horses posted:

a peaceful, if fascist state

I mean, big “if”, but okay.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
It just seems that if you're the sort of government that funds covert paramilitary armies to destroy your neighbors, you're probably also the sort of government that builds a fairly substantial conventional military as well. But apparently not.

Honestly, they should have dropped the whole Republic from the ST entirely. Just have it the Empire fell, every world declared independence, and now the First Order's shown up and Leia's trying to get everyone working together again but most planets don't see it as their problem until they're attacked themselves.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

Angry Salami posted:

It just seems that if you're the sort of government that funds covert paramilitary armies to destroy your neighbors, you're probably also the sort of government that builds a fairly substantial conventional military as well. But apparently not.

Honestly, they should have dropped the whole Republic from the ST entirely. Just have it the Empire fell, every world declared independence, and now the First Order's shown up and Leia's trying to get everyone working together again but most planets don't see it as their problem until they're attacked themselves.

This was covered in a novel or some poo poo, there was a treaty that limited the size of militaries (that the First Order were totally ignoring). It's just a rehash of League of Nations and Interwar Era.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

wdarkk posted:

This was covered in a novel or some poo poo, there was a treaty that limited the size of militaries (that the First Order were totally ignoring). It's just a rehash of League of Nations and Interwar Era.

That's what we're frustrated about. It's not that they didn't answer it at all, but that they answered it in the books/comics/premium series that Disney wants people to buy rather than in the movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Bogus Adventure posted:

That's what we're frustrated about. It's not that they didn't answer it at all, but that they answered it in the books/comics/premium series that Disney wants people to buy rather than in the movie.

Also frustrating is the underlying implication that the central conflict (the titular “star war”) is so worthless as to be relegated to DLC