Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Disillusionist posted:

Doesn't it change the map? Or does it only do that once you start a new campaign? I reverted back to the previous version precisely so that I could finish my ongoing campaign before moving on.

it does, but as dwesa said the game compensates for it quick. in the ongoing MP game i am streaming, portugal got changed a bit, but after a few game heartbeats it figured out what it should do fast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ethics_Gradient
May 5, 2015

Common misconception that; that fun is relaxing. If it is, you're not doing it right.

Armacham posted:

Looks like another PDX sale on Steam, probably other places too.

Nice! I think I am going to pick up Holy Fury and try to get back in to CK2.

Sorta tempted by Conclave and Jade Dragon, but as a less-experienced player still faffing around in Ireland/Britain I don't think either would offer me much.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Conclave probably will and in my opinion is one of the ones necessary for core gameplay. Whether you are a vassal, or have vassals, conclave completes that part of the game.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

conclave is a huge part of core gameplay, yeah. definitely pick it up. jade dragon also provides some CBs that help complete various parts of the game even if you are not in contact with china (get in contact with China).

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
China is a great place to send your spayed and neutered offspring

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

in addition, it's easy to get tons of Grace by sending your old magnum opuses or redundant books to china, especially if the current emperor likes wealth. send an old magnum opus on some bullshit like planetary astrology to china and get 3k grace.

3k grace can buy you A LOT of advantages.

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

Coolguye posted:

in addition, it's easy to get tons of Grace by sending your old magnum opuses or redundant books to china, especially if the current emperor likes wealth. send an old magnum opus on some bullshit like planetary astrology to china and get 3k grace.

3k grace can buy you A LOT of advantages.

Also of use to the dragon emperor, but not to you, are artifacts from other religions. After a successful crusade and some luck you might end up with a Sword of Mohammad or a Blessed Mantle or some poo poo that you can't use but that the Emperor will trade you half an invasion for.

Dec 30, 2008
Just had my child of destiny leader with 50 martial and 250 combat skill die to some random mook with 19 combat skill in a battle where the enemy was already routed. I'm so confused and sad right now.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Guest posted:

Just had my child of destiny leader with 50 martial and 250 combat skill die to some random mook with 19 combat skill in a battle where the enemy was already routed. I'm so confused and sad right now.

Coolguye posted:

never, EVER let your ruler fight. just don't do it. i don't care if they have 40+ martial and 150+ personal combat skill. they will get blindsided by some poo poo and put into a coma in their first war, i practically guarantee you.

all yall fuckin laughed at me.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

the new start date, it's good

Commissar Canuck
Aug 5, 2008

They made fun of us! And it's Stanley Cup season!

Is the new start date solid for a first real Byzantine run, or are the earlier start dates better?

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Commissar Canuck posted:

Is the new start date solid for a first real Byzantine run, or are the earlier start dates better?

Yes, the Near East is at its most fragmented in the new start, but you are really close to Seljuk showing up. They also gave Byz another vassal merc company, mostly heavy cavalry.

The neatest thing for Byz in the new start though, I think, is a playable Ragusan merchant republic on the Dalmatian coast.

wizardofloneliness
Dec 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

but you should still do it though.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

The neatest thing for Byz in the new start though, I think, is a playable Ragusan merchant republic on the Dalmatian coast.

For some reason the Rectors in 769 and 867 are in the same family as several Roman emperors

Dec 30, 2008

Coolguye posted:

He had the warrior lodge power that's supposed to make you unable to die on the battlefield too. It was the event where you kill a guy but he takes you with him, which I've lost high combat rulers to before. I'm thinking that specific event doesn't factor in combat skill or warrior lodge powers.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Guest posted:

He had the warrior lodge power that's supposed to make you unable to die on the battlefield too. It was the event where you kill a guy but he takes you with him, which I've lost high combat rulers to before. I'm thinking that specific event doesn't factor in combat skill or warrior lodge powers.

It does not.

juche avocado
Dec 23, 2009

u r immune to THING, except for those special cases of THING which are actually, as far as we're concerned, best understood as "THANG"s more than -ings

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo

juche avocado posted:

u r immune to THING, except for those special cases of THING which are actually, as far as we're concerned, best understood as "THANG"s more than -ings

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
I finally played chess with Death, never saw that event before. And I won, because my ruler was genius hedonist that could outdrink Death. The joy did not last for too long, in few months my genius heir died from rabies and my other quick heir quickly followed, dying mangled. Eh, this game.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Dwesa posted:

I finally played chess with Death, never saw that event before. And I won, because my ruler was genius hedonist that could outdrink Death. The joy did not last for too long, in few months my genius heir died from rabies and my other quick heir quickly followed, dying mangled. Eh, this game.

Death had the last laugh on a technicality.

Best Friends
Nov 4, 2011

If I build a wonder on a count vassal's province, do I get any benefit? I want to put a great university in Dublin and I'm wondering if any of the attribute bonuses will apply to my character.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Best Friends posted:

If I build a wonder on a count vassal's province, do I get any benefit? I want to put a great university in Dublin and I'm wondering if any of the attribute bonuses will apply to my character.

There are province-specific bonuses and different bonuses that the owner (independent ruler) gets.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
I took advantage of the sale and picked up Charlemagne and Holy Fury. Can anyone recommend some easy leaders for a relatively inexperienced player that might help me experience some of the newer content / earlier start dates? I've mostly only played Catholic Feudal characters, with some short stints as merchants and Pagans.

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Sigurdr in Sweden in 769 is the quintessential Viking start.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Montalvo posted:

I took advantage of the sale and picked up Charlemagne and Holy Fury. Can anyone recommend some easy leaders for a relatively inexperienced player that might help me experience some of the newer content / earlier start dates? I've mostly only played Catholic Feudal characters, with some short stints as merchants and Pagans.

Do you have Sword of Islam? The Umayyads in any of the early start dates are in a strong position to either push into Europe, or retake the Caliphate from the Abassids. Or you could play Epirus in the Charlemagne start, and swear fealty to the Byzantine emperor, if you want to see how Orthodox rulers and Imperial Elective governments work. Or swearing fealty to the Byzantines as the doge of Amalfi makes you able to play a merchant republic without having to fear that losing the doge election will inevitably lead to somebody else conquering the republic and causing a game over.

If you want to experience more pagans, Romuva pagans in Lithuania are in a pretty good position. Use the "become king of Lithuania" ambition to conquer Lithuania and form the kingdom. Then you have at least two of your religion's holy sites, with the third site in a county bordering de jure Lithuania. Perhaps you need to conquer a fourth holy site (easiest is probably the one in the west, on an island in the Baltic Sea), and win some conquest wars/loot some temples to reform the religion, and then adopt feudalism.

Or you can play some Welsh Christians if you like. English rulers are busy getting invaded by vikings, so you should have the opportunity to form Wales and then watch who comes out on top in England.

Edit: Wait, viking invasions are in the Old Gods start, ignore my Wales recommendation.

zhuge liang
Feb 14, 2019

Volkerball posted:

Sigurdr in Sweden in 769 is the quintessential Viking start.

It's really not. You can spend decades waiting for the Viking Age event that unlocks the Norse CBs/gives you free shipyards. Almost anyone else in 867 would be a better choice.

Various Meat Products
Oct 1, 2003

zhuge liang posted:

It's really not. You can spend decades waiting for the Viking Age event that unlocks the Norse CBs/gives you free shipyards. Almost anyone else in 867 would be a better choice.

Unfortunately none of the characters in 867 happen to be available in the CM start

Volkerball
Oct 15, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

zhuge liang posted:

It triggers in 793. You can spend the time up until then capturing 3 holy sites, reforming the faith, becoming king, and adopting feudalism/mercantilism. You have Ragnar as an heir, and you need to be established to do a proper Viking raid anyways.

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Volkerball posted:

It triggers in 793. You can spend the time up until then capturing 3 holy sites, reforming the faith, becoming king, and adopting feudalism/mercantilism. You have Ragnar as an heir, and you need to be established to do a proper Viking raid anyways.

Before the last patch, you could also use the military tech points from building an observatory to get boats early (plus you'd get an extra level of shipbuilding when the Viking age starts).

a fatguy baldspot
Aug 29, 2018

If you do want to give the Romuvans a try, do it as the Old Prussians rather than the Lithuanians. That way your kingdom will be named Prussia a few hundred years early.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

No Pants posted:

Before the last patch, you could also use the military tech points from building an observatory to get boats early (plus you'd get an extra level of shipbuilding when the Viking age starts).

What changed in the last patch?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Jedit posted:

What changed in the last patch?

Shipbuilding is an economy tech now, so you have to rely on random events to get the required tech points. It's more of a lucky bonus now than a strategy.

Grand Prize Winner
Feb 19, 2007

What replaced it on the military side? Is the tech panel just lopsided now?

No Pants
Dec 10, 2000

Huh, it's not in the patch notes. On the military side, Shipbuilding was replaced with Skirmish Techniques, which improves Light Cavalry, Archers, Horse Archers, and Camel Cavalry attack and Flank leaders' skirmisher tactics selection. On the economy side, they folded City Infrastructure and Temple Infrastructure into a single tech line.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

the wiki has been updated with specifics

https://ck2.paradoxwikis.com/Technology

just ignore the graphic and pay attention to the text.

Fintilgin
Sep 29, 2004

Fintilgin sweeps!
If I have the saintly bloodline that helps me convert county religions more quickly does that carry over if I convert to another religion, or is it only good for Catholicism?

Also, is there a way to see what doctrines the AI chose when they reformed their religion? The mouse-over text with all the religious rules doesn't look any different from the unreformed version.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

ostensibly no, but usually saintly bloodlines are only active if you are the same religion as the saint, so realistically yes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

It was worth it getting the kinslayer trait just because it literally give me everything from Normandy to Sicily in 896.

King Lothaire had only managed to produce one heir when my plot bore fruit. Yeah, they figured out it was me, but my spymaster and chancellor had been wheeling and dealing in the Kingdom of Lotharingia for a while to arrange the death of a beloved king. We got his son about a week later.

Of course, now I have the problem of needing to get my Holy Roman Emperor title created before my aging king dies and loses everything to Gavelkind because my tech is too low.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

for my bball ck2 players out there

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

What's are some fun starts in the new 10th century start?

I noticed a tab in the rules tab about Iron Century story events. Who gets those?