Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Tahirovic posted:

I'll be running engineering in the arty, it's a shame not having bombing run and the scout plane anymore tough. On offense the scout plane allowed you to reliably spot and kill the defending arty, which is kinda big for faster caps.

You can tell I don't play arty in Frontlines.

Changing my recommendation for Arty to Engineering and TDs to Engineering and Artillery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tahirovic
Feb 25, 2009
Fun Shoe
FL equipment can vary depending on what you actually want to do, I just want to grind ranks so XP is king, I don't give a poo poo about winning. Hence Engineering on everything as it's the biggest XP gain.

Scout Plane + bombing run on defense when your team is too stupid to actually spot the cap was great.

Hopefully these changes mean we'll see more heavies with engineering that are willing to go in and block the cap.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Captain Blaargh posted:

Katamari decided to curse the server and sent me an IS-3A. I'm enjoying taking a few thousand point dump on the enemy even when your team folds like a ten dollar card table. (Something I'm also doing with that Foch.)

And my god they are outright lying about the IS-3A dispersion. That thing a snapshot machine and needs to be nerfed.

On that note I sure am looking forward to taking it out in frontlines with engineering, inspiration, and whatever else. That thing with inspire going should be extra stupid.

#snapshotmeta is real and your friend, don't aim unless you want to lose

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Hellsau posted:

#snapshotmeta is real and your friend, don't aim unless you want to lose

Yeah, I remember when I was grinding up my 430U before going into another tanks hibernation period I befriended a pubbie who managed to turn a loss into a win and actually listened to helpful advice. He liked fast quick-firing tanks and didn't know about snapshotting being the new way of ~getting poo poo done~. He's now more coinflipper than tomato. :unsmith:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

more on my views on #snapshotmeta: some percentage of shots go dead center in your reticle. That percentage is necessary, because if you have a gun that needs to hit a particular point on an enemy tank to pen, then you really gotta be able to get some shots to actual go where you aim. Wargaming, of course, are laughably incompetent. At some point in time, your shots actually hit where you aimed and it was awesome, but they nerfed shot accuracy because they're Wargaming, so now if you sit and aim, you can expect a huge percentage of your shots to go into the sky or into the dirt, basically anywhere except the enemy. If you peek on an enemy, wait for your shot to dial in, fire, whiff, and pull back, you have just exposed yourself and wasted a whole bunch of time doing less than nothing. Now, if you peek over and let a shot off, sure you'll probably whiff, but you expose yourself for a substantially shorter amount of time, you fire your shot substantially quicker so you will be reloaded for the next shot earlier, and since you need to hit dead center anyway to be able to hit that distant enemy or pen that weakspot, you're not really losing out on much equity spewing your shot off, and if you chain dead center hits and pens while peeking and quickfiring you get a huge advantage over the enemy that you would not have if you sat and aimed, even if you hit the same number of shots.

Where it gets tricky is that there's a chance Wargaming are really, REALLY dumb, and the percentage of shots that go dead center is higher when you're full bloom than when you're fully aimed. Wargaming might not even realize they did that - how would they even test it? They had 20% of your shots hit the very edge of the aim circle for years because they hosed up a cutoff value! People don't usually full bloom spew a shot off in a high tier artillery, because why the gently caress would you when your reticle is the size of a map square and you have a 40 second reload, but the percentage of direct hits I used to get on full bloom distant snapshots in my M53 or CGC was loving laughable. I did it for a laugh, because it's really funny to type "snapshotting the last enemy when they're spotted" and then immediately oneshotting them the second after they appear. Running around your edge of the rim on El Halluf in the T49 and then throwing out a shot on the enemy group pushing north was way more often sent into the group than it was exploding the ground 10 meters away, even though the aim circle was gigantic.

maybe they fixed aiming in the last yeah, but gently caress, it was really nice to be able to hit shots for a month or two before they stopped you from reliably hitting shots.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

McGavin posted:

New Frontlines Combat Reserve recommendations if the changes go through:

SPGs: Artillery

:wtc:

:thunk:

:smugdog:

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Imagine instead of a double turreted IS-4, they added a double turreted T92...

Atomizer posted:

They're basically the same thing; if you're going to be playing the Sheridan from now on, you're getting the same gameplay style, so only keep the T49 if you don't have another T9 LT that you'd like to play.

I am kinda neutral on the T49, so I think I will sacrifice it to the Blood God and buy the Sheridan while it is still on sale. I have the 13-90 which is great still.

Hopefully they will have crew training for this weekend, I need to gold transfer the Maus, Sheridan and the WZ-111 1-4 crews. And like loving hell I will pay full gold price for that. Also, probably going to dump all my free XP into getting the top gun for the WZ-111 1-4. I remember playing it on the test sever a long time ago and enjoying it.

Edit: Actually, gently caress the WZ, I forgot that I unlocked the Type 4. Free XP dumpage into that totally fair tank.

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 13:36 on May 31, 2019

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
Free-XPed the Bobject.

First match playing like a total pubbie with no regard for sense, hurling myself across lanes with great abandon. Knife-fought a loving Badger that couldn't hit my "weak spot" because this thing wiggles at like a million degrees per second. Snapshot through a T95 frontally, because 360 gold pen will do that for you. Friendly 60tp hooked me up with a BIA through quick thinking in the last couple of seconds.
This loving thing goes 50km/h on even ground, what in the loving world?

Gone Fashing
Aug 4, 2004

KEEP POSTIN
I'M STILL LAFFIN

Hellsau posted:

more on my views on #snapshotmeta: some percentage of shots go dead center in your reticle. That percentage is necessary, because if you have a gun that needs to hit a particular point on an enemy tank to pen, then you really gotta be able to get some shots to actual go where you aim. Wargaming, of course, are laughably incompetent. At some point in time, your shots actually hit where you aimed and it was awesome, but they nerfed shot accuracy because they're Wargaming, so now if you sit and aim, you can expect a huge percentage of your shots to go into the sky or into the dirt, basically anywhere except the enemy. If you peek on an enemy, wait for your shot to dial in, fire, whiff, and pull back, you have just exposed yourself and wasted a whole bunch of time doing less than nothing. Now, if you peek over and let a shot off, sure you'll probably whiff, but you expose yourself for a substantially shorter amount of time, you fire your shot substantially quicker so you will be reloaded for the next shot earlier, and since you need to hit dead center anyway to be able to hit that distant enemy or pen that weakspot, you're not really losing out on much equity spewing your shot off, and if you chain dead center hits and pens while peeking and quickfiring you get a huge advantage over the enemy that you would not have if you sat and aimed, even if you hit the same number of shots.

Where it gets tricky is that there's a chance Wargaming are really, REALLY dumb, and the percentage of shots that go dead center is higher when you're full bloom than when you're fully aimed. Wargaming might not even realize they did that - how would they even test it? They had 20% of your shots hit the very edge of the aim circle for years because they hosed up a cutoff value! People don't usually full bloom spew a shot off in a high tier artillery, because why the gently caress would you when your reticle is the size of a map square and you have a 40 second reload, but the percentage of direct hits I used to get on full bloom distant snapshots in my M53 or CGC was loving laughable. I did it for a laugh, because it's really funny to type "snapshotting the last enemy when they're spotted" and then immediately oneshotting them the second after they appear. Running around your edge of the rim on El Halluf in the T49 and then throwing out a shot on the enemy group pushing north was way more often sent into the group than it was exploding the ground 10 meters away, even though the aim circle was gigantic.

maybe they fixed aiming in the last yeah, but gently caress, it was really nice to be able to hit shots for a month or two before they stopped you from reliably hitting shots.

4 tankers and dog did a relatively thorough video on shot accuracy and found that roughly 1/3 of shots go to the center of the reticle regardless of how aimed in you are. so yeah a lot of the time it's actually way better to just snap a shot off and hope you hit the 33% than to waste time aiming

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret

Captain Blaargh posted:

Katamari decided to curse the server and sent me an IS-3A.

Those 40% coupons are the real curse here. But glad to hear you are enjoying it. I like my defender a bit more than my IS3A but I will eventually go around to getting better in mine. Maybe then we can pansy it up in Frontlines while ruining people's day.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
Hey guys, wargaming here. We decided that the gold ammo changes announced at wgfest back in december were no good. So we'll be running another sandbox server for one week to test out our newest idea. But it is a secret, so we can't tell you yet. However, here is the link to sign up for it. We look forward to the quality of your feedback.

https://worldoftanks.com/en/news/general-news/sandbox-announcement/

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

lol

e: i want to write more here but what is there even to say? what are you even trying to do wg. is there a goal? what are you even trying to accomplish?

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!
We could speculate as to what the hell else they could even do other than their last idea of what? Reducing damage on prem rounds so your trade off was Pen/Dmg?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Gone Fashing posted:

drat I was watching jerm play it last night and honestly it seems pretty bad. not as fun as the 183 anyway
5 second intra-clip is just crazy

Obligatory

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VMr4Pnbqx4s

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

JuffoWup posted:

Hey guys, wargaming here. We decided that the gold ammo changes announced at wgfest back in december were no good. So we'll be running another sandbox server for one week to test out our newest idea. But it is a secret, so we can't tell you yet. However, here is the link to sign up for it. We look forward to the quality of your feedback.

The solution to people making GBS threads all over your bad idea for months is to give them less time to poo poo on your next bad idea.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

JuffoWup posted:

Man, I will admit that I looked the other way when posters here talked about how amazing wargaming's design team are but holy poo poo this takes the cake. I hope they keep making posts like these so it will never get loving done

Just delete arty from the game problem solved

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
Not gonna lie, for the first few minutes of this game I thought I was in the LT-432 and I was going super slow for some stupid reason.

Rojo_Sombrero
May 8, 2006
I ebayed my EQ account and all I got was an SA account

Captain Blaargh posted:

Katamari decided to curse the server and sent me an IS-3A. I'm enjoying taking a few thousand point dump on the enemy even when your team folds like a ten dollar card table. (Something I'm also doing with that Foch.)

And my god they are outright lying about the IS-3A dispersion. That thing a snapshot machine and needs to be nerfed.

On that note I sure am looking forward to taking it out in frontlines with engineering, inspiration, and whatever else. That thing with inspire going should be extra stupid.

Ask how he paid Katamari for the tank...

Hint it's a me...Ackbarre.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
Don't be telling everyone my secrets man

Captain Blaargh
Apr 27, 2007

Yeah yeah yeah. How about some Scotch whiskey? You got any of that around here, or just a bunch of nonsense words?

Captured King Tiger is real good! Another bottom tier match too.

Rojo_Sombrero posted:

Ask how he paid Katamari for the tank...

Hint it's a me...Ackbarre.

Put it this way, he'll be limping for weeks.

Also this enemy team was made very sore:

Even managed a four kill win bottom tier in the Church VII. One hell of a night.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
I tunnel-visioned and had some fun:

What have we here? A pair of E-100 unaware of their surroundings?

Just gonna bop one on the head real quick

Oh, they're retreating? Hmm...not sure I could hit that angle without flipping over and dying.

Yeeees, muuuuch better.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

NAILED IT!

Foch NOOOOOOOO

Two E-100s, successfully dispatched.

Welp.

Please excuse the messy overlay. My screenshot-key is an alt-combination, and alt triggers the secondary overlay functions temporarily.

DiggityDoink
Dec 9, 2007

Captain Blaargh posted:

Captured King Tiger is real good! Another bottom tier match too.

Yeah it can't be said enough how good that tank is, I'm at 70% winrate in it with a 1st mastery medal and it's my highest earning tank both XP and cash wise.

It's also nice facing off against other Captured KTs who are dumb and dont angle it. I killed 3 of them in my last game.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

DiggityDoink posted:

Yeah it can't be said enough how good that tank is, I'm at 70% winrate in it with a 1st mastery medal and it's my highest earning tank both XP and cash wise.

It's also nice facing off against other Captured KTs who are dumb and dont angle it. I killed 3 of them in my last game.

Let me just add that I figured out why I couldn't get the tank/packages: I had to unlink and re-link Twitch from my WG account, then everything worked fine. Thanks, Wargaming! :rolleyes:

moolchaba
Jul 21, 2007
Ehhh. I'm not really hyped about tank rewards after looking at it some more.

Bring back the old one! *futile cries*

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The fact that they don't give gold or credit compensation for winning tanks that you already have in your garage means I'm probably not going to bother with TankRewards this time.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
T7 Combat Car is live and on sale tied with 30 days of premium: Here

Gonna take it for a spin and see how well my knowledge of higher tiers play out.

Captain Blaargh posted:

Also this enemy team was made very sore:

Hell yeah :rock:

primelaw
Apr 4, 2012

The most southern dandy robot judge
Just reminded me about the Pz V/IV, the console version is the same as PC except where it has 870 hp at tier 5 :)
https://console.worldoftanks.com/en/encyclopedia/vehicles/germany/G32_PzV_PzIV/

ZogrimAteMyHamster
Dec 8, 2015

Crazyeyes24
Sep 14, 2014

Your good vision is your fatal weakness!

The Shakespeare of teamchat.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
So playing a fuckload of games tonight made me realize that this game is now gold ammo and arty.

There is nothing fun anymore about this.

Edit:
Oh, and this happened.

Double Edit:
loving really now...

Mesadoram fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Jun 2, 2019

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

i was gonna make fun of Katamari for doing 0 damage in a top tier KV-220 but it was Malinovka Encounter and the top damage dealer on the enemy team is a leFH so...

also turn encounter and assault off

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret

Hellsau posted:

i was gonna make fun of Katamari for doing 0 damage in a top tier KV-220 but it was Malinovka Encounter and the top damage dealer on the enemy team is a leFH so...

also turn encounter and assault off

God damnit I didn't want that score posted.

Here, I will make up for it:

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

you'd have dealt 0 damage in that t95 if there was a leFH on the enemy team

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Katamari Democracy posted:

God damnit I didn't want that score posted.

https://gfycat.com/honestdrearyconey

Hellsau posted:

you'd have dealt 0 damage in that t95 if there was a leFH on the enemy team

I don't know if I am getting saltier in my old age, but arty really removes the fun from this game.

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Wedge Regret
The bane of my low tier existence. The one tank I hate to play and hate to play against.

Should I Xfer my crew from the KV-220 back to my Churchill III?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The bane of my low tier existence. The one tank I hate to play and hate to play against.

you don't have to retrain between premiums, you can just take them out and slot them in

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

They have to be trained for the same *type* of tank, though. A Soviet heavy crew will perform at 100% efficiency in any premium Soviet heavy but will operate at a deficit in a premium light, medium, or TD.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mesadoram posted:

I don't know if I am getting saltier in my old age, but arty really removes the fun from this game.

No the changes to artillery made low/middle tiers substantially worse. They still haven't done anything about it and they never will.

Atomizer
Jun 24, 2007

Mesadoram posted:

Adrienne Barbeaubot again! :neckbeard:

You're right about arty though; as I always say in Discord, the game plays totally differently, at least for me, in the absence of arty.

So, as alluded to, the crew should be trained for neither tank and instead for a tech tree tank (say you're going up the KV-1 line or whatever) but then after that yes you should swap it between all 3 tanks (to proceed down the tech tree and then earn credits and crew XP in the premium tanks.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Another perk of premiums is that they can be used to get your crews back up to 100% for the tech tree tanks you train them into after using the 75% credit retraining option...and if I'm not mistaken, even while not 100%, their perks/skills still work in *only* premium tanks.

But yeah, pretty much the only time you should ever have a crewmember trained for a premium tank is if it's that nationality's only tank at present or if that particular premium uses an uncommonly-used radio operator and no other tank of that type uses one.