Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
the dudes in this game wear little armour because the expert chinese swordsmiths learned from the forgers of the japanese katana to fold their steel ten million times and render all armour useless against its monomolecular edge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4

SKULL.GIF posted:

He's correct

Yeah but all I said that sword damage seems fine in this game considering it's like 200AD and metallurgy being what it is

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Fuligin posted:

I glanced over and heyguns is arguing for monarchy again, and honestly id like to see how that particular discussion pans out

it's more of a social thread for people who like milhist these days, really

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I have had much better luck after switching commanders to sabre militia. They often only have 1 or 2 abilities that specifically benefit sabre cav and their bonuses to charging ends up being pretty decent for assault infantry. Having higher authority also ends up being really good for your front line. Just avoid the talents that are melee cav specific and you'll have a great front line general.

I also prefer sabre militia to ji militia because archers dumpster ji so hard that they end up not being a problem. Spear and shield units can give archers and cav issues, but tend to melt against a sabre infantry charge.

I suspect lategame I'll need to unlock yellow dragons so my commanders have access to a more elite front line, but right now high level sabre militia with commander morale bonuses are fantastic and hold better than higher tier green troops lead by champions.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

the dudes in this game wear little armour because the expert chinese swordsmiths learned from the forgers of the japanese katana to fold their steel ten million times and render all armour useless against its monomolecular edge.

Well, they did fold their steel, as that was a necessary process at this time period where steel was very new to get impurities out. Japan just had to do it much longer than other countries because the iron in Japan was particularly impure.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

golden bubble posted:

There's a mod that makes sure all unique recruitment events and unique spawn events always occur. But if the RNG hates you, Sima Yi might never appear in your game.

Oh drat, I'm guessing I just use the one that's just "character_events_guranteed.pack" to get them to happen at the 'correct' time?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

If Heaven is on your side you don't need armour, which is why no one cut off Liu Bei's longass earlobes.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So question: I just hit king status and the map got divided between three emperorships, which I'm assuming is something of a soft realm divide in that the other two now hate my guts despite our marriage alliances. Do I get this malus just with the other kingdoms and their allies, or with everybody? I guess a better question would be I have a couple vassals in my back yard who are positive and very positive attitude with me - do I have to worry about a deteriorated penalty that will ultimately flip them, ala Shogun 2's RD that made all your vassals eventually hate you? Or am I safe to keep them?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

What kinds of weapons do people prefer to equip their heroes with? I noticed in my attempts to get a Kong Rong game going (gently caress you Haun Shao!) that my Champion seemed to fare a lot better in duels when I swapped the spear he starts equipped with for a glaive.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus

Sydin posted:

So question: I just hit king status and the map got divided between three emperorships, which I'm assuming is something of a soft realm divide in that the other two now hate my guts despite our marriage alliances. Do I get this malus just with the other kingdoms and their allies, or with everybody? I guess a better question would be I have a couple vassals in my back yard who are positive and very positive attitude with me - do I have to worry about a deteriorated penalty that will ultimately flip them, ala Shogun 2's RD that made all your vassals eventually hate you? Or am I safe to keep them?

In my experience it is just the rival emperor's and their allies/vassals who hate you.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Reiterpallasch posted:

it's more of a social thread for people who like milhist these days, really

do people still spend pages discussing the minutiae of bows and pikes and other inane things (like apparently swords now)

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute

Khisanth Magus posted:

In my experience it is just the rival emperor's and their allies/vassals who hate you.

Cool, thanks. I'm making insane bank off trade agreements with my vassals and I'd rather not rock that boat.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Dramicus posted:

If you want to min/max, it's best to match. The bonuses that a strategist gives to ranged units generally only apply to their retinue and not the whole army. On a high level (6+) strategist, the bonuses can get pretty insane. +25% ranged damage (retinue) and +10% ap ranged (army) on top of it. The same is true for the other types.

Min/maxing for numbers isn't as good as min/maxing for usefulness.

Klisejo
Apr 13, 2006

Who else see da' Leprechaun say YEAH!
Jesus Christ, Gong Du had Han Xian running around my back yard spreading his communism. Took forever to run him down, trap him, and then kill him twice. I guess marathon running is in the yellow turban tech tree.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe

Senor Dog posted:

do people still spend pages discussing the minutiae of bows and pikes and other inane things (like apparently swords now)

i cant believe people might talk about military things in the milhist thread

honestly not though, there's not usually a lot of ancient hardware chat, though tank derails aren't uncommon

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
The mil history thread is the thread if you want to hear the same discussion of WW2 over and over again with maybe some other stuff sprinkled in.

I wouldn’t recommend it

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Klisejo posted:

Jesus Christ, Gong Du had Han Xian running around my back yard spreading his communism. Took forever to run him down, trap him, and then kill him twice. I guess marathon running is in the yellow turban tech tree.

Gong Du's bonus is 10% extra movement. It's really nice to play as but a pain in the rear end to play against.

Echoing this from a few pages back regarding stances, personally I like them but armies being able to retreat while in Forced March is the biggest step back this series has taken from Warhammer.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Is it true that administrators show up with their retinue to defend their settlement (if not otherwise engaged) or was that just a filthy rumour?

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
I am at war with nearly all of China as Yuan Shu. It's about time this got historical.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Dramicus posted:

I found another decent way to go as liu bei is to use all sword militia for your front line, as they are dirt cheap due to his faction bonus and are pretty tanky against everything except shock cav. Then spend all that extra money on the best cav you can take and win the cav fight. After that it's a basic hammer+anvil to victory.

Normal crossbows are better than most archers. The specialized crossbows seem to be mostly useless. Yi archers are fantastic, probably the best value ranged in the game. I haven't played with Kong Rong's crossbows yet, so they might be decent.

The repeating crossbows drop a mean 15 second rebuff on anyone they hit I’ve noticed, wrecking speed/charge bonus/I forget it’s like 4 things it affects. Also the arrow spam looks hilarious, especially with a strategist that buffs fire rate.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
If mil hist isn't talking about grain prices, I think they are doing it wrong.

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

sassassin posted:

Is it true that administrators show up with their retinue to defend their settlement (if not otherwise engaged) or was that just a filthy rumour?

Yes they will. You can check this by clicking on the garrison button of an administrated settlement.

Scrub-Niggurath
Nov 27, 2007

Dramicus posted:

Normal crossbows are better than most archers. The specialized crossbows seem to be mostly useless. Yi archers are fantastic, probably the best value ranged in the game. I haven't played with Kong Rong's crossbows yet, so they might be decent.

The main advantage of archers over crossbows (not counting the dragons) is the option for fire arrows, but if you have a trebuchet then you can just use those to burn down towers

The repeater crossbows are absolutely devastating and apply a massive speed/charge bonus penalty. You can stand your ground against charging shock cavalry and wipe out the unit before they hit you. The downside is that they have gently caress all range so enemy archers/crossbows will mess them up.

Kong Rong’s crossbows are fantastic, they’re like normal crossbowmen but with more damage and range.

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
Sima Yi appeared in my recruitment pool as Sun Juan, and now serves in my council and main army until the prime minister position becomes available and he can take his rightful place. Have the option to use him as a spy but can’t bring myself to not use him for his absolutely silly traits. He starts rank 7 ffs.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
Regular archers are way more accurate than trebuchets when it comes to burning down towers, I feel like using trebuchets for that is kinda a waste of ammo.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Any general tips for the Yellow Turban starts? Huang Shao's looks nearly impossible. He Yi's is pretty relaxed but I'm torn between diving north and loving up the coalition or diving south to compete with Sun Jian over the south.

Also their tech tree is way less "take this obvious choice for your faction" than the reforms tree is.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Real Cool Catfish posted:

Sima Yi appeared in my recruitment pool as Sun Juan, and now serves in my council and main army until the prime minister position becomes available and he can take his rightful place. Have the option to use him as a spy but can’t bring myself to not use him for his absolutely silly traits. He starts rank 7 ffs.

He will absolutely* not betray you.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

I autoresolved a battle and my Lu Bu apparently lost his duel against some rando level 4 vanguard lol

Blooming Brilliant
Jul 12, 2010

Kanos posted:

Any general tips for the Yellow Turban starts? Huang Shao's looks nearly impossible. He Yi's is pretty relaxed but I'm torn between diving north and loving up the coalition or diving south to compete with Sun Jian over the south.

Also their tech tree is way less "take this obvious choice for your faction" than the reforms tree is.

Well everyone hates you and will declare war on you, so getting a defensible position is recommended.

I'd recommend satisfaction techs and stocking up on characters when they appear in the Court. Yellow Turbans can go ages without any new officers appearing outside of random events. You can utilise Captain retinues without characters, but Yellow Turban hero upgrades are really good and give faction wide bonuses to income and research rate. Grabbing a bunch of characters will also zoom you through your enlightenment status, which will open up much needed diplomacy options for you.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Khisanth Magus posted:

Well, they did fold their steel, as that was a necessary process at this time period where steel was very new to get impurities out. Japan just had to do it much longer than other countries because the iron in Japan was particularly impure.

Yeah but iirc folding the steel doesn't make it better or anything really it's just a different way of doing it. Like a katana isn't ever going to actually cut through an arming sword made of the same grade of metal, and they aren't particularly lighter either.

PhantomZero
Sep 7, 2007

Kanos posted:

I like Huang Shao, with his gardens you can buff research rate and satisfaction for all your generals, which is nice since you can't promote them to improve their satisfaction. Fight with one enemy enough to get a peace deal and then focus on consolidating to the north and east to start giving yourself natural borders.

You can spread out by having generals lead an army with a captain or two to raise large armies quickly. For the reforms I like to focus on getting extra money/satisfaction and public order first. Nearer to the mid-game, it becomes easy to go back and unlock some new troop types and assignments for your many commanders you will acquire as Huang Shao.

Huang Shao also buffs archers pretty strongly, both from his traits and in-battle skills.

PhantomZero fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jun 1, 2019

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011

Fangz posted:

Regular archers are way more accurate than trebuchets when it comes to burning down towers, I feel like using trebuchets for that is kinda a waste of ammo.

Well I’m finding their peak hilarity is at large unwalled cities. Miss the towers? Hit the units for massive damage. Miss both? Hit the nearby buildings and engulf the city in a glorious inferno!

disjoe
Feb 18, 2011

Warning: do not, I repeat DO NOT use flaming arrows while your archers are in the woods themselves, unless you want your army to run out of the woods on fire and screaming.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

disjoe posted:

Warning: do not, I repeat DO NOT use flaming arrows while your archers are in the woods themselves, unless you want your army to run out of the woods on fire and screaming.

But if they're on fire they'll be doing more morale damage when they get into melee!

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Sydin posted:

People will hate you for being the big evil power on the map, though, but you can buy them off with food bribes for a while.

The emperors also mostly respect nonaggression pacts. Mostly.

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Has anyone tried playing a co-op campaign yet? How does that work with the 3 way split?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

I played one to completion on release weekend. It's just like a regular campaign, except there's a diplomacy option for agreeing to share the mandate of heaven which allows for a shared victory. What happened in our game was that I ended up becoming King first, Cao Cao and Yuan Shu (both AIs) became the other two kingdoms, my partner stayed as a duchy. I'm not sure if that was because the game won't allow the two humans to become two of the kingdoms or he just wasn't powerful enough.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Ojetor posted:

I played one to completion on release weekend. It's just like a regular campaign, except there's a diplomacy option for agreeing to share the mandate of heaven which allows for a shared victory. What happened in our game was that I ended up becoming King first, Cao Cao and Yuan Shu (both AIs) became the other two kingdoms, my partner stayed as a duchy. I'm not sure if that was because the game won't allow the two humans to become two of the kingdoms or he just wasn't powerful enough.

Was he still a duchy when you shared the mandate? Or had he taken one of the seats?

In the game I'm in right now my friend just hit Duke and I'm a King and he's deep in the south and both the AIs that were made Kings are super weak garbage that really feel like they weren't anywhere near King level.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Ojetor posted:

What factions were you and your buddy? The game seems to weigh the OG trio higher even when they're weaker. Cao Cao declared himself Wei for me despite being significantly weaker than several other factions.

S.J.
May 19, 2008

Just who the hell do you think we are?

Okay so I'm only a few turns into this and is it just me or does it seem to run better than Warhammer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
It runs better.