Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigHead
Jul 25, 2003
Huh?

Nap Ghost
Fuckin' LOL.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/05/challengers-in-census-case-notify-justices-about-new-evidence/

How many of us have gotten screwed by a client or witness who just decides to change their story on the witness stand. Imagine learning that your client lied to you a few weeks after SCOTUS oral arguments. Ha! That's good stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meatbag Esq.
May 3, 2006

Hmm which internet meme should go here again?

BigHead posted:

Fuckin' LOL.

https://www.scotusblog.com/2019/05/challengers-in-census-case-notify-justices-about-new-evidence/

How many of us have gotten screwed by a client or witness who just decides to change their story on the witness stand. Imagine learning that your client lied to you a few weeks after SCOTUS oral arguments. Ha! That's good stuff.

Like this will change the outcome

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

I'm reading The Paper Menagerie right now and its pretty great. I actually almost broke down crying at the end of a couple of the stories. High recommendation!

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
Can someone explain sov immunity
https://twitter.com/davidminpdx/status/1134148429221777408

terrorist ambulance
Nov 5, 2009

Haha the states sure are something. Literally a developing nation in everything except economic prosperity for certain people in certain regions

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

BigHead posted:

Fuckin' LOL.

Everyone, including all members of the Supreme Court, already knew that. They just didn’t know it was in writing.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

I am the master of my lamp;
I am the captain of my tub.

terrorist ambulance posted:

Haha the states sure are something. Literally a developing nation in everything except economic prosperity for certain people in certain regions

What does this mean?

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Tokelau All Star posted:

I'm reading The Paper Menagerie right now and its pretty great. I actually almost broke down crying at the end of a couple of the stories. High recommendation!

Which ones? I recall getting hit in the feels by the one where the mom/wife left her family for generational space travel.

Look Sir Droids fucked around with this message at 01:17 on May 31, 2019

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
loving LOL.
I'd say you're going to hell, but isn't that a suburb of where you live?

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

Yeah, that one and the title story hit me real hard. I should call my mother.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Vox Nihili posted:

You aren't an idiot, right?

Look Sir Droids posted:

You're asking someone that went to law school in the 2010s.

i feel like this is a classic INT/WIS distinction problem

SlyFrog
May 16, 2007

What? One name? Who are you, Seal?

:perfect:

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

This is getting archived by the Library of Congress, right?

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.
I had an attorney get salty with my yesterday because of a deadline he blew and an order he didn't read.

Then he called me today to apologize. It will surprise absolutely no one to learn that he followed up the apology by asking if I would do his job for him.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

Alaemon posted:

I had an attorney get salty with my yesterday because of a deadline he blew and an order he didn't read.

Then he called me today to apologize. It will surprise absolutely no one to learn that he followed up the apology by asking if I would do his job for him.

Let me guess. He was old and has practiced for a long-rear end time?

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

Sovereign immunity in Texas is really something. I still can't get over how Texas Tech University fired football coach Mike Leach, refused to pay his salary under the terms of the contract, and Texas courts ruled he had no right to sue to enforce the payment obligations under the contract. In my state (Oklahoma), sov immunity has been expressly waived in certain situations, like contracts.

Note to self: Don't do any kind of business with Texas state government

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

I love repping the state of Texas. Sovereign immunity is a hell of drug.

I've returned to the thread post meltdown to lament a family law case my friend is going through. Her lawyer convinced her to do a jury trial to try and get a geographic restriction removed so she can move away from her abusive ex. It's uh...not going well.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

I've returned to the thread post meltdown to lament a family law case my friend is going through. Her lawyer convinced her to do a jury trial to try and get a geographic restriction removed so she can move away from her abusive ex. It's uh...not going well.

Physical violence or just a big old meanie? If it's the later, I always told my clients "well, there isn't much I can do for you. I wasn't there when you decided to sleep with the guy."

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

nm posted:

loving LOL.
I'd say you're going to hell, but isn't that a suburb of where you live?

If I do it's for stealing dv's joke. I credited him with it to all my friends.

Also yeah, actually. I've been to hell several times, it's close to my inlaws. Went there to pick up takeout but insisted we eat there the entire way. Fiancee finally broke and asked why. And, yeah.

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Roger_Mudd posted:

Physical violence or just a big old meanie? If it's the later, I always told my clients "well, there isn't much I can do for you. I wasn't there when you decided to sleep with the guy."

Meanie.

Divorced for 8 years now. She wants to move across the country, but she agreed to a loving geographic restriction. Paying a lawyer 20k for a jury to continue the restriction, versus 5k for the judge to continue it.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 10 hours!

Nice piece of fish posted:

And now I can never go to Norway.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Pook Good Mook posted:

Let me guess. He was old and has practiced for a long-rear end time?

Don't know actual age, but bar number was recent enough to know better.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Meanie.

Divorced for 8 years now. She wants to move across the country, but she agreed to a loving geographic restriction. Paying a lawyer 20k for a jury to continue the restriction, versus 5k for the judge to continue it.

Much better use of the money than a college fund for the kids. Have fun for the next 10 years!

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Doesn’t this open up the DA to a bar complaint? What recourse is there if the DA does something unethical or illegal?

Like someone gets paid as a consultant for profit prison and they just happen to prosecute everything to bring numbers up.

Eminent Domain
Sep 23, 2007

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

The idea of a jury for a family law case is loving terrifying. My clients would get slaughtered.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

Lote posted:

Doesn’t this open up the DA to a bar complaint? What recourse is there if the DA does something unethical or illegal?

What exactly is the state bar going to do to overcome absolute prosecutorial immunity?

AFAIK there is literally no civil recourse if a DA does something unethical or illegal while performing his or her duties. As for criminal recourse, you'd have better luck getting a lycanthrope jury to convict a wolf for sheepslaughter.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Unamuno posted:

What exactly is the state bar going to do to overcome absolute prosecutorial immunity?

AFAIK there is literally no civil recourse if a DA does something unethical or illegal while performing his or her duties. As for criminal recourse, you'd have better luck getting a lycanthrope jury to convict a wolf for sheepslaughter.

A State Bar's disciplinary process is not in the nature of a tort against the State or a tort against a prosecutor in their official capacity as prosecutor.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
I hate the waiting after interviews to find out.

Unamuno
May 31, 2003
Cry me a fuckin' river, Fauntleroy.

joat mon posted:

A State Bar's disciplinary process is not in the nature of a tort against the State or a tort against a prosecutor in their official capacity as prosecutor.

That's a good point that, as a pessimist and moron, i completely overlooked.

EwokEntourage
Jun 10, 2008

BREYER: Actually, Antonin, you got it backwards. See, a power bottom is actually generating all the dissents by doing most of the work.

SCALIA: Stephen, I've heard that speed has something to do with it.

BREYER: Speed has everything to do with it.
Here's the actual opinion on that DA case if you want to read it, its pretty short - http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...43-4574fb5bfa07 and the concurrence http://www.search.txcourts.gov/Sear...22-716df314d6e1

The court just takes the "shits hosed but our hands are tied" approach

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

No DA on this though Lote - it's just family law not a protective order from the DA.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Nice piece of fish posted:

Also yeah, actually. I've been to hell several times, it's close to my inlaws. Went there to pick up takeout but insisted we eat there the entire way. Fiancee finally broke and asked why. And, yeah.

I bought a one way ticket to Hell when I was there because I am 12.

joat mon
Oct 15, 2009

Unamuno posted:

That's a good point that, as a pessimist and moron, i completely overlooked.

As an intentional naif and an idiot, I concede you are correct as a practical matter.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

HE LIVES.

TheWordOfTheDayIs posted:

Sovereign immunity in Texas is really something. I still can't get over how Texas Tech University fired football coach Mike Leach, refused to pay his salary under the terms of the contract, and Texas courts ruled he had no right to sue to enforce the payment obligations under the contract. In my state (Oklahoma), sov immunity has been expressly waived in certain situations, like contracts.

Note to self: Don't do any kind of business with Texas state government

There's like a whole laundry list of waivers of sovereign immunity though.

TheWordOfTheDayIs
Nov 9, 2009

Blessed with an unmatched sense of direction

blarzgh posted:

There's like a whole laundry list of waivers of sovereign immunity though.

You're right about that, but there's some pretty big stuff that's not on the list. Some stuff that Oklahoma attempts to limit its liability on appears to be patently unconstitutional. For instance, they tried to limit damages for constitutional claims like inverse condemnation a few years ago. "Oh, yeah, we stole your property worth $50,000, but we only have to pay $25,000 because we were to lazy to go through the normal eminent domain proceedings..."

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

A dude showed up for arraignment today in a big brown wizard robe looking like Radagast from the Hobbit. He had gourds and large metal rings tied to his waist with a big rope belt, and a masquerade mask hanging from his neck. He was there for shoplifting paint cans from Wal Mart. He waived counsel.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

Tokelau All Star posted:

A dude showed up for arraignment today in a big brown wizard robe looking like Radagast from the Hobbit. He had gourds and large metal rings tied to his waist with a big rope belt, and a masquerade mask hanging from his neck. He was there for shoplifting paint cans from Wal Mart. He waived counsel.

lol

nm
Jan 28, 2008

Tokelau All Star posted:

If he gets a jury trial, I'm pretty sure you and the DAs can all agree to cancel everything and just watch the loving thing.

Nice piece of fish
Jan 29, 2008

Ultra Carp

Tokelau All Star posted:

Probably a Cooley grad then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Tokelau All Star posted:

Hell yes