Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Tall Tale Teller posted:

I also love the Salikawood and Ozmone Plain from XII and whatever the overworld theme for IV is called.

Ozmone Plains is so unbelievably good. I was very meh about FFXII until you finally go to the Plains. That music was a big part of flipping my opinion on XII and I loved it from then on.

Still, I think the best "zone" theme in FFXII is Seeking Power orthe Deadlands theme The latter is such an underrated song. It's the theme song for a place called the Deadlands, where a nuke went off and obliterated a country. But while it does hint at the tragedy and horror, it's also just so mysterious and hauntingly beautiful. A lot of people died yes but all the Myst released has spawned quite a lot of new life. It's an entirely optional area but it's one of the best locations in XII IMO.

But if we're getting into this area, I have to rep my beloved XIII-2.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14xmdX0TCBc

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The remake of III would have tolerable had they been liberal with changes like Dawn of Souls. Instead we had no save-points, a job-system that punishes you for changing jobs, a HP-growth formula that encourages min-maxing, and enemies that are jacked-up in the stat department. So much irritating stuff that's either added or left deliberately unchanged. It's like giving a boob-job to a 100-year old woman.

Yeah, I just cheated all materia in VII to 99% mastery using a save-editor. The amount of AP needed to master most materia is ludicrously high and blatant padding. I think a better version of the system would be you could swap static gems around that give bonuses depending on how they're placed, like the Trails series.

Inspector Gesicht fucked around with this message at 00:53 on Jun 1, 2019

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Inspector Gesicht posted:

The remake of III would have tolerable had they been liberal with changes like Dawn of Souls. Instead we had no save-points, a job-system that punishes you for changing jobs, a HP-growth formula that encourages min-maxing, and enemies that are jacked-up in the stat department. So much irritating stuff that's either added or left deliberately unchanged. It's like giving a boob-job to a 100-year old woman.

"Fun" Fact: The guy in charge of the FF3 remake was also the guy who was in charge of FF11 and FF14 1.0.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Wow that IS a fun fact!

Mega64
May 23, 2008

The miracle is that he's not still working there.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

The Dressphere system is probably the best system in the series. It really felt rewarding to attain a new skill, and mix and max grids. I just don't remember if there were harder difficulties to take advantage of the complexity.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
There weren't harder difficulties but there's superbosses, the monster arena, and a 100 floor dungeon and between the three of those you'll probably scratch the combat itch.

pretty soft girl
Oct 1, 2004

my dead grandfather fights better than you

Mega64 posted:

"Fun" Fact: The guy in charge of the FF3 remake was also the guy who was in charge of FF11 and FF14 1.0.

I wonder if he got pulled off 11 to work on 3, because the treasures of aht urghan expansion was a huge shift in favor of fun and player quality of life and came out the same year as ff3ds

The previous expansion (chains of promathia) was unbelievably difficult bullshit that lines up very nicely with the unbelievably difficult bullshit in 3

It's too bad ff3 didnt just get the same treatment as 1 and 2, I like having the hard as balls NES versions and the more casual GBA versions of those two. 3 just has two versions that are excruciating for different reasons

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

Mega64 posted:

is he also in some way associated with FF4DS? It's nowhere as horrendous as FF3DS but the difficulty changes and messy Augment system seems similar in vein

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
The Phon Coast music in XII is just sublime and it's definitely my favorite area theme in that game. It is just so good.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Yeah, I just cheated all materia in VII to 99% mastery using a save-editor. The amount of AP needed to master most materia is ludicrously high and blatant padding. I think a better version of the system would be you could swap static gems around that give bonuses depending on how they're placed, like the Trails series.

You really do have a problem with VII, don't you?

Maybe I just have too much time on my hands, but I enjoy going into the North Crater and farming AP from Magic Pots and Movers.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
ap farming isn't necessary anyway unless you want to beat emerald/ruby, since the best way to rack up enough gil to get knights of the round is to sell off mastered All materia

also i finally got the music on the remako mod working, yippee

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Mega64 posted:

This explains so loving much.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Oxxidation posted:

ap farming isn't necessary anyway unless you want to beat emerald/ruby, since the best way to rack up enough gil to get knights of the round is to sell off mastered All materia

also i finally got the music on the remako mod working, yippee

AP farming is absolutely necessary if you want three of each Master Materia, though.

Also i'm sure enough people know the cheat way to get a gold chocobo without spending much gil or doing any racing.

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

As wacky as FF7 gets there is nothing as unexpected as the Ice-Hockey players who show up as enemies in FF8.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
That was legitimately a laugh out loud moment my last playthrough of 8

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

As wacky as FF7 gets there is nothing as unexpected as the Ice-Hockey players who show up as enemies in FF8.

I dunno, fighting an actual battery in FFVII comes close.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Cloud yelling "Shinra dog!! I'm gonna dognap you!!" at a literal dog is really high up there too.

crestfallen
Aug 2, 2009

Hi.
Searching for Friends is the best. That is all.

jizzy sillage
Aug 13, 2006

Breezy is the best FF8 song.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

NikkolasKing posted:

Or if you were me and many other nerds 15+ years ago, you insisted Jenova was the real villain and Sephiroth was her puppet.

I still dislike what I feel is an incongruity in Sephiroth's character. The Nibelheim Sephiroth is radically different from the one you encounter in the game. They have different motivations, goals and personalities. I figured Jenova controlling him explained this well enough. But since that is cnonically not what happened, I'm left to speculate.

Somebody on another forum offered the best explanation I've ever heard. They likened Jenova to the One Ring from LOTR. Sure you can master it and control it but in the process you are no longer you. The Ring's taint, Sauron's pure evil essence, will leave a permanent stain on your soul and mind. Sephiroth took control of Jenova but in turn he pretty much became Jenova.

I feel like calling Sephiroth Jenova's puppet is almost too generous; I read the 'present-day' Sephiroth as basically a mask, nothing more than Jenova wearing Sephiroth's face and body. The real Sephiroth died long ago.

Maybe it's the shaky translation and vagueness of early PS1 graphics and presentation, but I love that constant shade of ambiguity going on with Jenova and Sephiroth in VII. You never get a straight answer on what the whole deal is, so everyone's just left with best guesses as to what the hell you're even fighting by the end. Maybe that's a big part of why I resent the remake; they're not going to keep that weird fuzziness about things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Sephiroth is probably the one at the steering wheel in their partnership, but his will and his power have been augmented by Jenova’s appetite

the real point of their relationship is that the Planet’s greatest threat (other than humanity itself) has been made even more dangerous thanks to a product of mankind’s hubris. Sephiroth is the crown jewel of Shinra’s tinkering and he turns on them, and even that’s not enough for Hojo, who’s probably the biggest actual villain the story has

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

tbh not even 15+ years ago, when I recently replayed FF7 I started thinking "how much of this is Jenova and how much of it is Sephiroth" cause hth Jenova's a cooler villain and my alien planet-devouring gal needs more recognition

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The villain of the game is Hojo.

Jenova is just the super deadly bacterial strain he decided to make even stronger because a) holy poo poo hojo is a bad person and b) fuckin lol vincent carried printer materia for a girl for miles and then she banged hojo

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
he carried printer materia after she banged hojo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

Barudak posted:

fuckin lol vincent carried printer materia for a girl for miles and then she banged hojo

This is the best part of the FF7 EU.

If anyone deserves to be replaced in the FF7 cast it's loving Vincent.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Mega64 posted:

This is the best part of the FF7 EU.

If anyone deserves to be replaced in the FF7 cast it's loving Vincent.

iscar matthias your time has come

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Barudak posted:

The villain of the game is Hojo.

Jenova is just the super deadly bacterial strain he decided to make even stronger because a) holy poo poo hojo is a bad person and b) fuckin lol vincent carried printer materia for a girl for miles and then she banged hojo

This is true. Vincent even points it out that Sephiroth's initial rampage was due entirely to Hojo.

Hojo is at the root of all the evils in FFVII.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Does the announcement of the announcement of a Square-Enix superhero game mean that spiderman is now an FF character?

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Gologle posted:

Does the announcement of the announcement of a Square-Enix superhero game mean that spiderman is now an FF character?

thanks to the power of mods, he already is:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1430613162&searchtext=

Booourns
Jan 20, 2004
Please send a report when you see me complain about other posters and threads outside of QCS

~thanks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0JU76yuY58
I bet most people don't even remember the one small area in the game that this plays

Be Depressive
Jul 8, 2006
"The drawings of the girls are badly proportioned and borderline pedo material. But"
I am playing the FFX remaster for the first time and it’s very good. Quite a lot better than I remember the game ever being. I’m only about an hour in but for some reason after playing V-IX on the PS1 more than once I really didn’t like FFX, to the point where I never finished it.

Playing it now, though, I can’t quite remember why. After playing the remakes of III and IV and various Dragon Quests and XV, enjoying them all, X seems perfectly fine. My only complaint so far is not a lot of branching paths leading to treasure chests and stuff.

Did they change anything from the original game? That whole opening sequence was really impressive. I can’t imagine why the 22 year old me did not like it at all.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Booourns posted:

I bet most people don't even remember the one small area in the game that this plays

The Great Salt Lake, just before you fight Abaddon. Full Cure = win.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Be Depressive posted:

I am playing the FFX remaster for the first time and it’s very good. Quite a lot better than I remember the game ever being. I’m only about an hour in but for some reason after playing V-IX on the PS1 more than once I really didn’t like FFX, to the point where I never finished it.

Playing it now, though, I can’t quite remember why. After playing the remakes of III and IV and various Dragon Quests and XV, enjoying them all, X seems perfectly fine. My only complaint so far is not a lot of branching paths leading to treasure chests and stuff.

Did they change anything from the original game? That whole opening sequence was really impressive. I can’t imagine why the 22 year old me did not like it at all.

As far as I know they only changed graphics and the music. The gameplay is the same as it was in the old International version.

Are you using the remastered soundtrack? I don't like it very much. There are a few improvements but overall I greatly prefer the original soundtrack.

This is one of the all time best FF boss themes but it's so underrated and I don't like the new version at all.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLAfulP8fRw

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Booourns posted:

that one is legit one of my favourites in the whole soundtrack, and I love the weird dinosaur skeletons there.

Be Depressive posted:

I am playing the FFX remaster for the first time and it's very good. Quite a lot better than I remember the game ever being. I’m only about an hour in but for some reason after playing V-IX on the PS1 more than once I really didn't like FFX, to the point where I never finished it.

Playing it now, though, I can't quite remember why. After playing the remakes of III and IV and various Dragon Quests and XV, enjoying them all, X seems perfectly fine. My only complaint so far is not a lot of branching paths leading to treasure chests and stuff.

Did they change anything from the original game? That whole opening sequence was really impressive. I can't imagine why the 22 year old me did not like it at all.

The expert sphere grid (and maybe the regular one too--I haven't used it in the remaster) has abilities so you can influence which kinds of spheres drop in battle, which is hella useful, and obviously there's the superbosses that weren't there in the original version. that's about all that changed gameplay-wise, though, as far as I remember. they might have nerfed Quick Hit a little but I think according to people it's still pretty OP

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

morallyobjected posted:

they might have nerfed Quick Hit a little but I think according to people it's still pretty OP

Quick Hit's cost got boosted from 12MP to 32MP and has twice the delay, which is a sizable nerf.

Granted, One MP Cost still works, so it ends up pretty much the same as always.

Merilan
Mar 7, 2019

When I played FFX HD I wanted to be cute with the Expert grid and send Tidus down Lulu's path and make him a Black Mage, Lulu down Auron's path and make her a Knight etc.

This turned out to be a mistake since characters start at like 20 for their high stats and 5 for their low ones (i.e. 20 str and 5 mag for Tidus) so the game was just unnecessarily tedious and hard since i was doing way less damage than expected

Schwartzcough
Aug 12, 2009

Don't tease the Octopus, kids!

Merilan posted:

When I played FFX HD I wanted to be cute with the Expert grid and send Tidus down Lulu's path and make him a Black Mage, Lulu down Auron's path and make her a Knight etc.

This turned out to be a mistake since characters start at like 20 for their high stats and 5 for their low ones (i.e. 20 str and 5 mag for Tidus) so the game was just unnecessarily tedious and hard since i was doing way less damage than expected

Also stuff like "piercing" will still only be on Auron's swords and Kimahri's lances, and magic boosts will generally only be on Lulu's dolls, etc. The game really isn't designed to have characters completely leave their niche. Seems like the expert grid is really only intended for self-imposed challenges.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Quick hit being the endgame is what makes FFX a meh-tier FF to me. No flashy magicks, no clever gearing combinations, no loopholes.

It's just dull

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
and the disadvantage stacks even further because even if you get cute and try to forge mag plus on to a greatsword, iirc they're all percentage boosts so magic +20% on auron will give less than it would on lulu