Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Is that actually the case? The soviets had a long running and dedicated program to use automated landers to sample the moon that resulted in 8 separate failed missions and three successes that netted a total of 11 ounces of moon rock, compared to the US's manned missions that returned nearly a thousand pounds of rock in addition to significant amounts of in place experimentation.

I think people overestimate the abilities of robotic missions, where there is stuff that a robot COULD abstractly be able to do theoretically, but like, generally don't. Like the mars rover traversed 20 miles over the course of like, 2 years, while the moon rover moved that much in a day in like 3 hours.

I think in the perfect realm of ideals robots could do any of this better and if we could just hire the right designers and have them work smarter and make less mistakes and so on a robot mission can do anything a human mission could, but historically it hasn't really been the case that robot missions have been able to match humans, certainly not some quick and easy simple cheap solution they often get sold as. Like I think people get very bogged down in what a robot "could" do without looking at historically how hard it has been to make robots to actually do these complex tasks. All the experiments done by all the mars rovers in all of history are stuff a human team could have done in an afternoon. It's super cool that we could design very complicated robots to also be able to do these things, but robots are really hard, and are very limited in actual real world implementations. Like in the abstract the curiosity rover could have a hand more powerful than a humans, but in actual design it can lift no rock bigger than 1.6cm wide. It's hard to make robots that match human capabilities, and doing so hasn't been cheap or easy so far.

*tears page* It has been (0) days since the last good OOCC post.

This is a really important point - there are many tasks where "send a robutt to do it" is in principle a viable answer, and may even work if you're standing right next to the robot with a remote control. However, a combination of light speed lag, lovely situational awareness, and limited AI mean that your robot is either a single mission tool that just repeats the same operation and sends a data dump from time to time, sits around doing gently caress all a lot because sending the navcam image to human decision makers and waiting for the next command takes hours, or is at high risk of getting stuck trying to drive over an unexpectedly pointy rock that didn't get recognised by the driving AI. It sure isn't going to scout the area at 50mph, pick a particularly suitable site, and then switch to spare tire set #3 (out of 50 dumped by a cheap cargo rocket at the start of the mission).

Robots are fine for initial work and/or keeping a low intensity exploration effort going, but if you decide to get poo poo done and are ready to send multiple robots to the same rock, it may be worth sending a driver, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

I can see when you are lying.

Clearly, I didn't do a good enough job here of making my point. I'm in agreement with all of you.

My point is not that no science was done on the moon or that robots could have done what was done better. My point was with regards to the question 'why are people assuming that science was an afterthought in the Chinese probe,' the answer is 'because science often is an afterthought on these sorts of things.'

Did we do some good, maybe even great science on the moon missions? Yeah, totally. Was it the reason we went to the moon? No. Not at that expense, not on those timetables. Was planetary science an afterthought on the Apollo missions, when compared to propaganda and practical engineering? Yes. Is this life growing experiment an afterthought in Chang'e's mission? Yes. I mean, that's why the experiment was ended - it wasn't worth the upkeep.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like it's crazy to look up the constraints space probes and rovers run under. Like how the most modern CPU on most space things is the RAD750, which is the equivalent of a gamecube CPU typically running at less than 1/3rd speed at 110mhz. While stuff like the new horizons probe runs with a clock speed of 12mhz. Or the way spirit had a 100 watt battery and could move 40 meters on an entire charge. Like all of these are marvels of engineering, they didn't make these choices because they are stupid. But when people say "have a robot do it" often seem to be wildly wildly overestimating what the cutting edge of space robots are capable of.

Like insight mars lander has a 1 megapixel camera, which is 3/4ths the resolution a RAZR flip phone has, but not because someone was too dumb to think of putting a better camera but because making a camera that can operate in extreme conditions is really hard and that is the cutting edge of what was possible within the parameters given for power and memory and cpu and transmission and physical reliability. Like it's easy to say how easy it is to just make a robot, but it's not actually easy. We struggle at this stuff. It's always easier to say what robot we COULD make and how it'll beat a manned mission than to actually build those robots.

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
I kinda wish we could do things like test out little robot factories of making solar panels out of the lunar regolith and stuff, to really see if it was worth doing to make absolute gobs of power to play with making lots of neat stuff up there.

https://ntrs.nasa.gov/archive/nasa/casi.ntrs.nasa.gov/20050110155.pdf

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Did we mention Isaac Arthur yet in this thread? Because I feel like we should. His whole thing would probably be entirely up this thread's alley!

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

“I don’t need to run experiments because I probably can guess the answer” has never been good scientific policy
What in the actual gently caress? This is you:

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Anyway the practical application of knowing aliens exist and do large scale galaxy sized engineering programs is that much of modern physics and our understanding of the universe in general is based on observation.
Again! You've got to pick one. I'm not asking you to be smart or even interesting, just stay consistent across a couple of pages.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

twodot posted:

What in the actual gently caress? This is you:

Again! You've got to pick one. I'm not asking you to be smart or even interesting, just stay consistent across a couple of pages.

I am not sure what contradiction you think you found. Science runs experiments in cases that is possible and makes predictions that can be confirmed or denied by observation of natural phenomenon when hand made experiments can't be done. Neither is just making up a theory, saying "it's probably that" then not checking.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The ISS has become a giant orbital petri dish:

quote:

NASA scientists have found that the International Space Station (ISS), home to six astronauts, is infested with disease-inducing bacteria. Many of the organisms breeding on the craft's surfaces are known to form both bacterial and fungal biofilms that promote resistance to antibiotics. The NASA team published their findings in a new study -- the first comprehensive catalog of germs in closed space systems -- in the journal Microbiome. The biofilms ability to cause microbial-induced corrosion on Earth could also play havoc with the ISS' infrastructure by causing mechanical blockages, claim the researchers.

The microbes come from humans and are similar to the ones in gyms, offices, and hospitals on Earth. They include so-called opportunistic pathogens such as Staphylococcus aureus (commonly found on the skin and in the nasal passage) and Enterobacter (associated with the human gastrointestinal tract). Though they can cause diseases back on Earth, it's unclear what, if any, affect they'd have on the ISS' inhabitants.

"Specific microbes in indoor spaces on Earth have been shown to impact human health," Dr Kasthuri Venkateswaran, a senior research scientist at the NASA Jet Propulsion Laboratory and the study's co-author, said. "This is even more important for astronauts during spaceflight, as they have altered immunity and do not have access to the sophisticated medical interventions available on Earth."

Oh look, turns out dangerous microbes sealed in an artificial environment designed to be human habitable are effectively impossible to control over a prolonged time period, who could have guessed. :rolleyes:

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Have I got bad news for you about microbial life free in natural environments that humans evolved to inhabit.

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!
Yeah. The interesting observation is which specific microbes are taking over the ISS, not that microbes are taking over the ISS.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Sterility is going to be a practical impossibility, but we'll absolutely need to find ways of keeping microbe populations below a certain level if Mars missions and Moon bases are to be sanitary. Naturally antiseptic materials, UV lights and a lot of vacuuming would be my best bet. Probably an occasional massive deep clean like that one episode of The Next Generation.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bug Squash posted:

Sterility is going to be a practical impossibility, but we'll absolutely need to find ways of keeping microbe populations below a certain level if Mars missions and Moon bases are to be sanitary. Naturally antiseptic materials, UV lights and a lot of vacuuming would be my best bet. Probably an occasional massive deep clean like that one episode of The Next Generation.

We need to keep like, our experiments and stuff uncontaminated to be able to do good science, and clearly we need to stop human disease. Beyond that, we are probably going to spread life to lifeless worlds. And almost none of it will survive much. But we probably won't do much to play out some weird "life is filth, it should not spoil this virgin stone" stuff past the point we learn the moon is without life to a good degree of certainty.

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF
The New York Times and WaPo seem to really be into ufos the last few days...

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/05/26/us/politics/ufo-sightings-navy-pilots.html

http://washingtonpost.com/outlook/2019/05/28/ufos-exist-everyone-needs-adjust-that-fact/?tid=pm_pop

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

Every so often newspapers pick up on the idea of radar blips and have a field day until they discover that radar systems aren't that great.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

So given that only some sort of deus ex machina is going to be able to get us out of the poo poo we’re in in re: climate change and species extinction, has there ever been any major attempt at sending SOS messages into outer space by governments or something?

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Flowers For Algeria posted:

So given that only some sort of deus ex machina is going to be able to get us out of the poo poo we’re in in re: climate change and species extinction, has there ever been any major attempt at sending SOS messages into outer space by governments or something?

How does an SOS differ from any sort of other signal? Like there are ways to make an alien realize something is a structured artificial signal but how would you generically show it was a call for help?

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

It’s got three short beeps, then three long beeps, then three short beeps again. Pretty easily recognizable imo.

It’d be pretty bad form for aliens traveling in spaceships not to know the universal signal for distress.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

So it's hosed up what we're doing to the environment and everything, but we're nowhere near the point where it's "gently caress it, we're all gonna die!"

Right now we're basically starting to hit "gently caress it, we're all gonna be miserable for a long time, and lots of people are gonna die."

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

This planet will never, ever be rid of us. We will be scurrying around on its surface from now until the sun swallows us whole.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

This planet will never, ever be rid of us. We will be scurrying around on its surface from now until the sun swallows us whole.

The question is if we'll still be building skyscrapers, or salvaging from them to help sustain our millions-global-population mideval-level hell existence.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

It’s got three short beeps, then three long beeps, then three short beeps again. Pretty easily recognizable imo.

It’d be pretty bad form for aliens traveling in spaceships not to know the universal signal for distress.

The aliens know that if they wait till we're all dead before responding then the law of salvage entitles them to take all our poo poo. The aliens didn't achieve interstellar travel by being chumps.

ashpanash
Apr 9, 2008

Helsing posted:

The aliens know that if they wait till we're all dead before responding then the law of salvage entitles them to take all our poo poo. The aliens didn't achieve interstellar travel by being chumps.

LtStorm
Aug 8, 2010

You'll pay for this, Shady Shrew!

As mentioned by others, the concept of how you call for help to a species you've never met is a staggering one when the concept of establishing contact with them is already staggering.

Also we don't know if anyone who heard our cry for help would do something we could call helping. Here's a short story about how aliens might help us;

quote:

36,400,000. That is the expected number of intelligent civilizations in our galaxy, according to Drake’s famous equation. For the last 78 years, we had been broadcasting everything about us – our radio, our television, our history, our greatest discoveries – to the rest of the galaxy. We had been shouting our existence at the top of our lungs to the rest of the universe, wondering if we were alone. 36 million civilizations, yet in almost a century of listening, we hadn’t heard a thing. We were alone.

That was, until about 5 minutes ago.

The transmission came on every transcendental multiple of hydrogen’s frequency that were listening to. Transcendental harmonics – things like hydrogen’s frequency times pi – don’t appear in nature, so I knew it had to be artificial. The signal pulsed on and off very quickly with incredibly uniform amplitudes; my initial reaction was that this was some sort of binary transmission. I measured 1679 pulses in the one minute that the transmission was active. After that, the silence resumed.

The numbers didn’t make any sense at first. They just seemed to be a random jumble of noise. But the pulses were so perfectly uniform, and on a frequency that was always so silent; they had to come from an artificial source. I looked over the transmission again, and my heart skipped a beat. 1679 – that was the exact length of the Arecibo message sent out 40 years ago. I excitedly started arranging the bits in the original 73x23 rectangle. I didn’t get more than halfway through before my hopes were confirmed. This was the exact same message. The numbers in binary, from 1 to 10. The atomic numbers of the elements that make up life. The formulas for our DNA nucleotides. Someone had been listening to us, and wanted us to know they were there.

Then it came to me – this original message was transmitted only 40 years ago. This means that life must be at most 20 lightyears away. A civilization within talking distance? This would revolutionize every field I have ever worked in – astrophysics, astrobiology, astro-

The signal is beeping again.

This time, it is slow. Deliberate, even. It lasts just under 5 minutes, with a new bit coming in once per second. Though the computers are of course recording it, I start writing them down. 0. 1. 0. 1. 0. 1. 0. 0... I knew immediately this wasn’t the same message as before. My mind races through the possibilities of what this could be. The transmission ends, having transmitted 248 bits. Surely this is too small for a meaningful message. What great message to another civilization can you possibly send with only 248 bits of information? On a computer, the only files that small would be limited to…

Text.

Was it possible? Were they really sending a message to us in our own language? Come to think of it, it’s not that out of the question – we had been transmitting pretty much every language on earth for the last 70 years… I begin to decipher with the first encoding scheme I could think of – ASCII. 0. 1. 0. 1. 0. 1. 0. 0. That’s B... 0. 1. 1 0. 0. 1. 0. 1. E…

As I finish piecing together the message, my stomach sinks like an anchor. The words before me answer everything.

“BE QUIET OR THEY WILL HEAR YOU”

(I found the story through Project Rho, but as far as I can tell the source is here on Reddit.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kerning Chameleon posted:

The question is if we'll still be building skyscrapers, or salvaging from them to help sustain our millions-global-population mideval-level hell existence.

It's always weird how much people treat medieval europe as like, the true base state of man that we will all return to technology wise. Like once mankind falls we will get crossbows but not Chu-ko-nu, we can have compasses but not AM radios, germ theory is definitely getting forgotten somehow, we can invent metal but no movable type printing. Like people always talk like it's time travel, not any sort of reasoned out list of what would or wouldn't be likely to be lost if things go bad. (and it also is always seemingly based on like, there being brain and book erasers and everyone losing every single thing and material that is currently around)

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

That's actually an interesting question. If there was an interstellar species capable of picking up signals from Earth, would an SOS signal broadcast into space serve its intended purpose? It's a fairly simple pattern repeated endlessly. At least from a human point of view, it would seem to be out of the ordinary.

Lightning Knight
Feb 24, 2012

Pray for Answer

LtStorm posted:

As mentioned by others, the concept of how you call for help to a species you've never met is a staggering one when the concept of establishing contact with them is already staggering.

Also we don't know if anyone who heard our cry for help would do something we could call helping. Here's a short story about how aliens might help us;

(I found the story through Project Rho, but as far as I can tell the source is here on Reddit.)

I have never been more disappointed that there’s not more to the story.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

The upside is that help was sent 38 years ago when the occupants of Tau Ceti IV discovered the source and nature of some constant radio noise.

The downside is that the "help" is in the form of a large tungsten slug travelling at 0.32c

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It's always weird how much people treat medieval europe as like, the true base state of man that we will all return to technology wise. Like once mankind falls we will get crossbows but not Chu-ko-nu, we can have compasses but not AM radios, germ theory is definitely getting forgotten somehow, we can invent metal but no movable type printing. Like people always talk like it's time travel, not any sort of reasoned out list of what would or wouldn't be likely to be lost if things go bad. (and it also is always seemingly based on like, there being brain and book erasers and everyone losing every single thing and material that is currently around)

Agreed. People will live, knowledge will survive, and plants will exist.

The question is how many people will live, how much knowledge will survive, and how many plants that are edible or useful will exist.

For better or worse, we're either gonna die with this planet when the sun engulfs us, or we'll successfully leave this planet and die in the heat death of our universe.

If you think Humanity is gonna get a pass by easily dying off once the coastal cities flood, you are so loving wrong.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

Agreed. People will live, knowledge will survive, and plants will exist.

The question is how many people will live, how much knowledge will survive, and how many plants that are edible or useful will exist.

For better or worse, we're either gonna die with this planet when the sun engulfs us, or we'll successfully leave this planet and die in the heat death of our universe.

If you think Humanity is gonna get a pass by easily dying off once the coastal cities flood, you are so loving wrong.

Sure, I'm mostly just commenting on how weird it is that people hold like, specifically the european middle ages as the one true time mankind will return to, second only the the paleolithic (which at least vaguely makes sense as some sort of fantasy brain wipe clean reset). Like what keeps people there? Even if some force could "knock back" time so people returned to that? Technology is a big mish mash of requirements. There is no reason romans didn't have record players except no one thought of it. You could build a crappy toy telegraph in 3000BC if someone told you that a lodestone you turn by hand on one end of a crappy 5 foot wire you pulled by hand moves a twist of wire at the other end. Like as long as literal wizards weren't erasing everyone's brain even the vaugest suggestions of how things work would be enough for people to invent them (or not ever forget how they worked). There is reasons a society that lost technology would have a hard time making like, a circuit board, but there was nothing special about any time period where humans would just snap back to that specific year for any reason no matter what. People would lose and progress various technologies at different rates.

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sure, I'm mostly just commenting on how weird it is that people hold like, specifically the european middle ages as the one true time mankind will return to, second only the the paleolithic (which at least vaguely makes sense as some sort of fantasy brain wipe clean reset). Like what keeps people there? Even if some force could "knock back" time so people returned to that? Technology is a big mish mash of requirements. There is no reason romans didn't have record players except no one thought of it. You could build a crappy toy telegraph in 3000BC if someone told you that a lodestone you turn by hand on one end of a crappy 5 foot wire you pulled by hand moves a twist of wire at the other end. Like as long as literal wizards weren't erasing everyone's brain even the vaugest suggestions of how things work would be enough for people to invent them (or not ever forget how they worked). There is reasons a society that lost technology would have a hard time making like, a circuit board, but there was nothing special about any time period where humans would just snap back to that specific year for any reason no matter what. People would lose and progress various technologies at different rates.

they mean before the widespread use of the steam engine and electricity you weirdo

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Unoriginal Name posted:

they mean before the widespread use of the steam engine and electricity you weirdo

What force bans those two things?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

What force bans those two things?

The expenditure of easy-to-extract fossil fuels and widespread deforestation (which had occurred in Europe right before they caught on to using coal for the new steam engine tech).

We say "medieval" level to refer more broadly to "pre-Industrial Revolution" levels of technology. There are things that, even if the collective memory manages to endure, you simply cannot do in a post-apocalyptic society because you literally cannot access the basic resources and manpower (raw or machine multiplied) needed to reproduce them anymore. You might not forget how to ferment alcohol to disinfect wounds and instruments, but if you lose or use up all your penicillin stocks in a world where fast global trade doesn't really exist anymore and advanced pharmaceutical manufacturing plants are crumbling buildings, well good loving luck finding another one-in-a-million magic fungus cure for all those bacterial infections you have to deal with again.

It cannot be overstated how important logistics and hyperspecialization are to the modern world, and how turbofucked your society becomes when those suddenly disappear. We stand in awe of the mystery of the Bronze Age Collapse for a reason.

MSDOS KAPITAL
Jun 25, 2018

LtStorm posted:

The epilogue is that we keep blasting the fact and location of our existence anyway for the same reason we ignore / deny climate change and elect Republicans to public office.

(Talking about Americans here - some parts of the world probably have enough sense to shut up, but it won't matter.)

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Kerning Chameleon posted:

We say "medieval" level to refer more broadly to "pre-Industrial Revolution" levels of technology. There are things that, even if the collective memory manages to endure, you simply cannot do in a post-apocalyptic society because you literally cannot access the basic resources and manpower (raw or machine multiplied) needed to reproduce them anymore. You might not forget how to ferment alcohol to disinfect wounds and instruments, but if you lose or use up all your penicillin stocks in a world where fast global trade doesn't really exist anymore and advanced pharmaceutical manufacturing plants are crumbling buildings, well good loving luck finding another one-in-a-million magic fungus cure for all those bacterial infections you have to deal with again.

Why can't you find penicillin if you already know what it is? Why can you ferment alcohol but no one can think to put it in an engine even if they already know what an engine is? And also have engines all around. What force vanishes all the raw materials that are already around and wipes everyone's brain and every book. Some inventions even there being a statue somewhere to look at is enough to make someone go 'wait, you can DO THAT????" even if everyone forgot everything. Things don't just cleanly time travel backwards. I bet they can't ferment enough to live like it's 2019, but they also can do things people in 1019 couldn't and it'd be it's own set of technologies they did and didn't have instead of just medieval times.

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Penicillin is real loving common. I know jack poo poo about antibiotics but I get I could isolate a strain of it if I really needed to.

Post collapse technology would absolutely be it's own unique thing. Bell's can't be unrung and all that.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Bug Squash posted:

Penicillin is real loving common. I know jack poo poo about antibiotics but I get I could isolate a strain of it if I really needed to.

Post collapse technology would absolutely be it's own unique thing. Bell's can't be unrung and all that.

Yeah, exactly, a post collapse world wouldn't be like the past OR the present. Tons of things just require someone knowing they exist for someone to be able to invent it. Tons of things could not be replicated in a post collapse world. Likewise collapse doesn't make wizards come and take everything away, so resources would be a culture absurdly rich in easy access to metals sitting around everywhere in high concentrations, but likely poor in energy (but mills would still work as well as they ever did).

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

You can burn wood or even dry bushes to run a steam engine. You can make low efficiency solar panels in a factory powered by low efficiency solar panels. Only having electricity when it’s sunny outside is way better than never having electricity.

A ton of things are possible - they just aren’t done today because there’s more efficient alternatives. Take those alternatives away and you have a ton of options left.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

A GIANT PARSNIP posted:

You can burn wood or even dry bushes to run a steam engine. You can make low efficiency solar panels in a factory powered by low efficiency solar panels. Only having electricity when it’s sunny outside is way better than never having electricity.

A ton of things are possible - they just aren’t done today because there’s more efficient alternatives. Take those alternatives away and you have a ton of options left.

Yeah, no matter what happens the world has changed and people know different things. The world isn't ever going to go back to how it was. There is no mechanism to do that. A world in collapse would be something different than anything before.

Epitope
Nov 27, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Yeah, no matter what happens the world has changed and people know different things. The world isn't ever going to go back to how it was. There is no mechanism to do that. A world in collapse would be something different than anything before.

I thought "back to mideval" meant- The vast majority of humans living in abject poverty, while a handful of barons duke it out over king of the dung heap. And maybe science/tech stagnation, if not regression.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A GIANT PARSNIP
Apr 13, 2010

Too much fuckin' eggnog

There’s also enough uranium and thorium to power us for thousands of years. The economics may not work today and the public support might not be there, but drain our fossil fuel sources and give people a summer without air conditioning and that’ll change real fast.