Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

EVGA Longoria posted:

No, some companies legitimately suck at hiring and routinely do this.

"some companies" including FAANG, every member of the fortune 500, and most SMBs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

What's a smb

Janitor Prime
Jan 22, 2004

PC LOAD LETTER

What da fuck does that mean

Fun Shoe
a miserable pile of packets

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost

Bloody posted:

What's a smb

(small or medium business)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Super Mario Bros.

MickeyFinn
May 8, 2007
Biggie Smalls and Junior Mafia some mark ass bitches

Steve Jorbs posted:

Got a request for an onsite at a company that seemingly ghosted me 4 weeks ago. That puts me at like 3rd on their ranking list right?

My current personal record for time to first real interview is 9 months. I had totally forgotten about the job and during the interview I made fun of them for it.

ThePeavstenator
Dec 18, 2012

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Establish the Buns

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:

Bloody posted:

What's a smb

Nothing what's SMBatta with you?

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

(small or medium business)

always thought that was SME

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
The difference between company business and enterprise is quantity and quality of fart huffing

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Working at Rackspace: mistake or career-ending mistake?

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Schadenboner posted:

they're a tech company with an actual product that they sell for money what's not to like?

edit: alright i just checked out their glassdoor and it seems like things have been lovely there lately. idk take a look at those, take notes, and bring up your concerns during the interview

PIZZA.BAT fucked around with this message at 23:50 on Jun 2, 2019

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

this may as well be the raises/promotion thread too so i’m gonna repost this here

Rex-Goliath posted:

I'm thinking about asking for the first significant raise in my career and want to make sure no one thinks I"m about to walk into a mine field. First, a little backstory:

I got out of school with a software engineering degree but my pay was pretty dismal at first both due to the economy still sort of sucking and being an idiot when considering how my pay was actually going to work. It was a consulting position that was heavily weighed to compensate based on travel and I wound up rolling snake-eyes and was only placed on local jobs with no travel. Most of my friends who took the same position were making over six figures- I was barely making over $50k.

This unfortunately put me in a hole that I've been climbing out of for over seven years now. The next job knew they could low-ball me and did and only offered 3-4% raises each year while acting like a 4% raise was a huge deal. Fortunately my second job-hop to my current employer went well and landed me a pretty good pay increase and the three years I've been here now I've gotten roughly 10% and was promoted after working there for about half a year.

All things considered I really love my current job. I'm very happy with my pay, the people I work with are great, there's tons of room for growth and my boss throws me into harder and harder projects with more responsibilities as soon as I'm ready for them. When I started here 3 years ago I was an individual contributer / associate and now I'm running my own projects entirely which includes client relationship management, finding additional funding for contract extensions, etc. Despite the large yearly raises though I'm starting to feel like I'm under compensated for what I've been doing. I think a fair shake would be essentially splitting the money I directly pull in into three, one share for me, one share for management since they're the ones lining up my next contract and handling the paperwork, and one share to the company which builds our product that makes my job so easy. It would put me about 20-25% higher than I'm currently paid so I don't think it's an outrageous ask either.

Is that how I should approach the conversation? Just that while I've been very happy with my pay increases and love working here etc I just feel like the pay hasn't quite kept up with my increased responsibilities? Is the three-way split reasonable or something that's going to make my boss think I'm a dipshit?

At the end of the day even if I get shot down I'm still happy as hell at this job and don't really need the money. So while I don't really have any negotiating position it also doesn't matter too much if I don't get what I want.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I don’t think “an even split seems fair to me” is a very good platform for negotiation. “I am underpaid for the amount of value I provide to the company” (where the subtext is “I could provide that value to another company, you know”) seems much better to me.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

Achmed Jones posted:

I don’t think “an even split seems fair to me” is a very good platform for negotiation. “I am underpaid for the amount of value I provide to the company” (where the subtext is “I could provide that value to another company, you know”) seems much better to me.

Now that i’m thinking about it more by making the three-way split what i think is fair even if i DO get the raise it effectively puts a ceiling on it ever going up again by my own design. So that seems... unwise, yeah.

I think just focusing on the added license sales and billable work and projects i’ve saved from their death bed should be sufficient.

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Rex-Goliath posted:

Now that i’m thinking about it more by making the three-way split what i think is fair even if i DO get the raise it effectively puts a ceiling on it ever going up again by my own design. So that seems... unwise, yeah.

I think just focusing on the added license sales and billable work and projects i’ve saved from their death bed should be sufficient.

you gotta be prepared to walk though. not necessarily immediately, but the subtext has to be "and if you reject me i'll start asking other places," and you have to mean it.

primarily because you'll almost assuredly get shot down.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

raminasi posted:

you gotta be prepared to walk though. not necessarily immediately, but the subtext has to be "and if you reject me i'll start asking other places," and you have to mean it.

primarily because you'll almost assuredly get shot down.

yeah the management here isn’t dumb and cares about keeping talent. it takes a long time for someone to become truly skilled in our tech and there’s essentially zero of us on the market for them to replace me with. every time we lose a senior or above consultant it means we have to start from scratch and spend years getting another guy up to speed.

our turnover here is very very low and it’s for a good reason. well it’s low in consulting and engineering, upper management beats the poo poo out of our sales guys but hey they get to live the rockstar life they gotta earn it.

honestly the post was more talking myself into asking because i’ve never done it before. i’m fairly sure i’ll get it

GenJoe
Sep 15, 2010

Rehabilitated?

That's just a bullshit word.
if you do walk, there is a big faang presence in Pittsburgh, and you are looking at 150k at the low end if you happen to end up with any of them

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

yup i’m aware. and that’s where i’m hoping to place my base comp at the end of this. i’m pretty confident.... i’ll put it at 70% that by the end of the summer that’s where I’ll be. if not though it’ll be time to embrace the suck again and start firing off emails.

my network is waaaaay bigger than the last time i did this though plus i actually have a lot of friends in this town so it won’t be nearly as painful as last time.

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry

Rex-Goliath posted:

yup i’m aware. and that’s where i’m hoping to place my base comp at the end of this. i’m pretty confident.... i’ll put it at 70% that by the end of the summer that’s where I’ll be. if not though it’ll be time to embrace the suck again and start firing off emails.

my network is waaaaay bigger than the last time i did this though plus i actually have a lot of friends in this town so it won’t be nearly as painful as last time.

from your descriptions it sounds like your current consulting gig is pretty good in terms of conditions and support compared to what I’ve seen/experienced. I’m sure FAANGs are nice places to work and can match that + $$$ but I wouldn’t run out and get a job at Accenture or something and expect the same level of non monetary treatment. sorry if this is super obvious advice.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

Schadenboner posted:

I have a friend who worked for them up until recently. He said it was a massive shitshow and that nobody should use Rackspace managed services. I'm sure that warning could also be applied to working there.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

pr0digal posted:

I have a friend who worked for them up until recently. He said it was a massive shitshow and that nobody should use Rackspace managed services. I'm sure that warning could also be applied to working there.

two of my extremely competent friends worked there until recently and extremely echo this sentiment.

bitchtard
Dec 3, 2010

did my first on-site on my current search. I’m junior level so it’s pretty hard to wow anyone with my experience or capabilities. I was personable and relaxed which is pretty much my biggest asset at this stage, but I can tell there was a resounding “meh” from the tech guys that sat in. oh well, more phone interviews tomorrow. keep fuckin that chicken

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

bitchtard posted:

did my first on-site on my current search. I’m junior level so it’s pretty hard to wow anyone with my experience or capabilities. I was personable and relaxed which is pretty much my biggest asset at this stage, but I can tell there was a resounding “meh” from the tech guys that sat in. oh well, more phone interviews tomorrow. keep fuckin that chicken

"resounding meh" is often all you can hope for with a bunch of tech dweebs

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

bitchtard posted:

I was personable and relaxed which is pretty much my biggest asset at this stage,

don’t undersell this. i’ll take someone who has decent tech chops who i can actually stand being around over a hotshot jackass any day

my homie dhall
Dec 9, 2010

honey, oh please, it's just a machine

Rex-Goliath posted:

don’t undersell this. i’ll take someone who has decent tech chops who i can actually stand being around over a hotshot jackass any day

mega agreedo

Chopstick Dystopia
Jun 16, 2010

lowest high and highest low loser of: WEED WEE
k

Rex-Goliath posted:

This is my attitude and also the attitude of every boss I've had that didn't suck.

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

though so far in my career the jackasses have all been incredibly incompetent as well while the most qualified people were extremely thoughtful, good communicators, etc. probably because once you pass a certain point you realize that no one is ever going to know everything and you always have to depend on the rest of your team

Arcsech
Aug 5, 2008

Rex-Goliath posted:

though so far in my career the jackasses have all been incredibly incompetent as well while the most qualified people were extremely thoughtful, good communicators, etc. probably because once you pass a certain point you realize that no one is ever going to know everything and you always have to depend on the rest of your team

this is extremely true ime as well. the more people say "sure they're jerks but they're so productive and great programmers!!!" the more you can be sure they are loving worthless and the rest of their team spends 70%+ of their time cleaning up mr. 10x (and it's always, 100% of the time, a dude)'s messes

everybody who's actually wizardly with computers has been really nice to work with. at worst they're a bit blunt but not in an unkind way

i have known some really nice people who probably shouldn't be touching computers too tho. would still rather work with them than the guy who's 10x the rear end in a top hat so he shits 10x as much code

basically i enjoyed house when i was younger but can't stand it now because my god the attitude in that show is super harmful to society

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Dunning-kruger works in reverse too. Generally the less knowledgeable you are about something the more likely you are to overestimate your ability due to your lack of experience and the more of a jackass you'll tend to be as a result. Contrarily, the more knowledgeable you are the more likely you are to underestimate your own ability because you've got the experience to know that this poo poo is really hard and can go sour quickly if you're not very careful, and the more humble you'll tend to be.

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

I always enjoy reading those programming articles where some guy is frothing at the mouth about something dumb like comments in code. Rather, I enjoy not reading it and skipping straight to their resume to confirm ah yes this person has in total 3 months of programming internship under his belt and projecting his newfound ego on the internet like it would be a crime if his revelations were not shared with the world.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

qhat posted:

Dunning-kruger works in reverse too. Generally the less knowledgeable you are about something the more likely you are to overestimate your ability due to your lack of experience and the more of a jackass you'll tend to be as a result. Contrarily, the more knowledgeable you are the more likely you are to underestimate your own ability because you've got the experience to know that this poo poo is really hard and can go sour quickly if you're not very careful, and the more humble you'll tend to be.

i think the psychological theory is that the low-ability people are bad at judging themselves (i.e. they believe they perform at a high level compared to others but they don't), while the high-ability people are bad at judging others (i.e. they believe everyone else finds the task as easy as they do, so they must be average)

qhat
Jul 6, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

i think the psychological theory is that the low-ability people are bad at judging themselves (i.e. they believe they perform at a high level compared to others but they don't), while the high-ability people are bad at judging others (i.e. they believe everyone else finds the task as easy as they do, so they must be average)

Makes sense, although I feel the latter could work against you (i.e you believe everyone can do what you do as easy as you, and think people are below average when they can't). For me I've just seen poo poo blow up so many times from even small mistakes, so I tend to think even small things are hard (because they are hard if you're going to do them properly while considering everything else that can go wrong).

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

accurately predicting that a task is going to be harder than it seems at first isn't the dunning-kruger effect though. that's just, like...competence. experience.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Rex-Goliath posted:

I was at a conference where the HR lead of the company was really "oh drat unfortunately we really do not have any junior positions available" after we've talked and I had some of the skills they wanted and interest in what they work with, but very little experience. She said that the biggest hurdle was in filtering people who basically engaged the whole social aspect of work as a sort of RPG stat ("I should really work on communication because it is something that is in demand") instead of something that makes, you know, human beings more likeable and friendly in general.

My colleagues at the university joke with me because I can socialize pretty well with strangers in such situations (which is pretty much one of the hardest things and isn't necessarily a taught thing, much less in academic manner), but I keep getting "welp unfortunately we want someone with more experience" even in these low-level posts and internships :(

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

dead gay comedy forums posted:

I was at a conference where the HR lead of the company was really "oh drat unfortunately we really do not have any junior positions available" after we've talked and I had some of the skills they wanted and interest in what they work with, but very little experience. She said that the biggest hurdle was in filtering people who basically engaged the whole social aspect of work as a sort of RPG stat ("I should really work on communication because it is something that is in demand") instead of something that makes, you know, human beings more likeable and friendly in general.

My colleagues at the university joke with me because I can socialize pretty well with strangers in such situations (which is pretty much one of the hardest things and isn't necessarily a taught thing, much less in academic manner), but I keep getting "welp unfortunately we want someone with more experience" even in these low-level posts and internships :(

eventually you’ll find a shop that realizes it’ll be worth the effort to train whatever deficiencies you have. notice that those that don’t just can’t find any qualified candidates for some reason

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
If there were justice in this world putting in a hire request for a "Senior" level role in a department with a non-zero number of employees already in it would immediately and irreparably brand the hiring manager as a failure unfit to lead anything to HR and spell his or her career-death.

Suffice it to say this is not our world, however.

But yeah, a place hiring for "Senior" anything basically means "we don't give a single gently caress about developing our employees and imagine that understanding of the history of an organization (as reflected in the systems) can somehow be communicated rather than needing to be lived".

There are a lot of :redflag:s but advertising for "Senior" anything is a huge one (especially if the organization doesn't generally recruit for lower-level roles either).

:sigh:

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I don't really see the beef, people need some resume inflation to show "career velocity" plus if you're hiring someone with 15 years of experience vs 3 years the title has implications, in that they had lots of experience coming in

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Schadenboner posted:

If there were justice in this world putting in a hire request for a "Senior" level role in a department with a non-zero number of employees already in it would immediately and irreparably brand the hiring manager as a failure unfit to lead anything to HR and spell his or her career-death.

Suffice it to say this is not our world, however.

But yeah, a place hiring for "Senior" anything basically means "we don't give a single gently caress about developing our employees and imagine that understanding of the history of an organization (as reflected in the systems) can somehow be communicated rather than needing to be lived".

There are a lot of :redflag:s but advertising for "Senior" anything is a huge one (especially if the organization doesn't generally recruit for lower-level roles either).

:sigh:

wat lol

sometimes people with experience get new jobs?

Trimson Grondag 3
Jul 1, 2007

Clapping Larry
yeah we put senior when we want to pay someone really smart and capable a bunch of money? we have junior and grad roles too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Juniors are hired, seniors are grown. If you need to hire someone because you can't nurture your goddamn juniors then you suck as a manager, IMO?

:shrug: