Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

i confess i am genuinely worried about ibm buying red hat

i have never had a pleasant working relationship with ibm, or any subsidiary of ibm, ever. that poo poo has been invariably, and intractably, hostile, at every job i've ever had. at one job it literally came down to lawsuits. that bad.

red hat, on the other hand, while sometimes over-expensive, has always been a vendor relationship that mostly worked. even for non-linux products. sometimes i was profoundly dis-satisfied with pricing, but i never found them hard to work with. support did what it was meant to, the sales relationship wasn't more adversarial than it needed to be, etc.

it's a night-and-day difference and i'm scared to death ibm will make redhat into a mini-ibm

Yeah IBM is going to gently caress it up and then all we have is Debian and Ubuntu.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

2019: finally the year of gentoo in the enterprise

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?
now now maybe the enterprise will realize the wisdom of giving directly to the FSF for GNU operating system support

if they give enough and agree to some simple terms laid out on the web site, they can even get a talk by the creator of the GNU operating system, Richard Stallman, especially if there’s no building guest sign in or visitor ID requirement, they pay entirely in untraceable cash, and someone nearby has a friendly parrot

big black turnout
Jan 13, 2009

Fallen Rib
2020 will finally be the year of hurd on the desktop

pram
Jun 10, 2001

big black turnout posted:

2020 will finally be the year of hurd on the desktop

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/hurd.git/log/

more than 20 commits this year. hurd is moving along at rapid speed!!

Athas
Aug 6, 2007

fuck that joker

Progressive JPEG posted:

freebsd is for bootlickers

What?

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

pram posted:

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/hurd/hurd.git/log/

more than 20 commits this year. hurd is moving along at rapid speed!!

the project is probably older than a lot of it's developers at this point

Soricidus
Oct 21, 2010
freedom-hating statist shill

The_Franz posted:

the project is probably older than a lot of it's developers at this point

does it even have enough developers for any subset to be described as "a lot"?

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

eschaton posted:

now now maybe the enterprise will realize the wisdom of giving directly to the FSF for GNU operating system support

if they give enough and agree to some simple terms laid out on the web site, they can even get a talk by the creator of the GNU operating system, Richard Stallman, especially if there’s no building guest sign in or visitor ID requirement, they pay entirely in untraceable cash, and someone nearby has a friendly parrot

at the $5k/year level, rms will come to your office and give a talk

and at the $10k/year level, he won't

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Soricidus posted:

does it even have enough developers for any subset to be described as "a lot"?

good point

if it did it might be usable after 29 years

the failson of os kernels

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://feaneron.com/2019/05/31/profiling-gnome-shell/

*whilst spewing vast quantities of garbage onto a managed heap, from the thread that renders literally the entire desktop environment to the screen 60 times per second, in much the same manner as my posting* ah yes what we need here is fine tuning. time to get the microscope and calipers out.

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
https://anholt.github.io/twivc4/2018/05/30/twiv/

quote:

Ultimately, though, I’m skeptical of GNOME 3 ever being usable on a Raspberry Pi. The clutter-based gnome-shell painting is too slow (60% of a CPU burned in the shell just trying to present a single 60fps glxgears), and there doesn’t seem to be a plan for improving it other than “maybe we’ll delete clutter some day?” Also, the javascipt extension system being in the compositor thread means that you drop application frames when something else (network statechanges, notifications, etc) happens in the system. This was a bad software architecture choice, and digging out of that hole now would take a long time. (I’m agnostic on whether it was wrong to move those into the same process as the compositor, but same thread was definitely wrong). I’ll keep working on the debugging tools to try to enable anyone to work on these problems, though.

which could be abbreviated to

quote:

Ultimately, though, I’m skeptical of GNOME 3 ever being usable.

non-kernel linux people know of no solutions to technical problems other than scrapping and rewriting things every 3-4 years so the continued existence of mutter is puzzling to say the least.

Sapozhnik fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Jun 1, 2019

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
BTRFS is the bad one and EXT4 is the good one, right?

Synology pushes BTRFS.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

Sapozhnik posted:

https://feaneron.com/2019/05/31/profiling-gnome-shell/

*whilst spewing vast quantities of garbage onto a managed heap, from the thread that renders literally the entire desktop environment to the screen 60 times per second, in much the same manner as my posting* ah yes what we need here is fine tuning. time to get the microscope and calipers out.

Honestly, there's so much low-hanging fruit simply in the Clutter paint loop that basic profiling is going to find some easy hot spots. Do I trust the wizards at GNOME to optimize correctly? Eh, not really. But there's a lot of very easy wins on the table, and I'd rather take those than burn it all down.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

Schadenboner posted:

Synology pushes BTRFS.

BTRFS is the bad one and ZFS is the good one

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Schadenboner posted:

Synology pushes BTRFS.

I rarely see those two compared. usually it’s ZFS vs BTRFS because if you want the features they offer then ext4 isn’t really an option

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
It looks like those are the ones Synology lets you use on internal drives on their NASes?

:shrug:

Schadenboner fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Jun 2, 2019

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

just use btrfs

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine

skull mask mcgee posted:

just use btrfs

:ohdear:

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

btrfs is very needs-suiting on my synology. i lose files mostly from my own gently caress ups so snapshots are a nice failsafe for that and I have separate backups for a true catastrophe

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

skull mask mcgee posted:

btrfs is very needs-suiting on my synology. i lose files mostly from my own gently caress ups so snapshots are a nice failsafe for that and I have separate backups for a true catastrophe

rsync is easy enough as well, and then you don’t have to use a trash file system!

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
Your File System is a Piece Of poo poo!

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

ratbert90 posted:

rsync is easy enough as well, and then you don’t have to use a trash file system!

what does rsync have to do with the filesystem you use

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

skull mask mcgee posted:

I rarely see those two compared. usually it’s ZFS vs BTRFS because if you want the features they offer then ext4 isn’t really an option

btrfs and zfs are just hilarious layering violations

if you want those kinds of features with a normal filesystem you use xfs or ext4 with lvm + md

susan b buffering
Nov 14, 2016

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

btrfs and zfs are just hilarious layering violations

if you want those kinds of features with a normal filesystem you use xfs or ext4 with lvm + md

this is a cool post from 12 years ago

Perplx
Jun 26, 2004

Best viewed on Orgasma Plasma
Lipstick Apathy
if you want something that’s efficient you need to remove layers

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

layers are great, they prevent you from accidentally making a good product that suits needs

Tankakern
Jul 25, 2007

Breakfast All Day posted:

BTRFS is the bad one and ZFS is the good one

:wrong:

btrfs is good, use that. just know when to chattr +C

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i think tankakern is getting to be right, but otoh they said the same thing when the data loss bugs were a monthly matter

if ext4 has the features you need i still don't think it is worth stepping outside that. the fact that the tools and stuff like drivers for other platforms are common and mature also often to turn out convenient.

r u ready to WALK
Sep 29, 2001

zfs probably belongs on a dedicated storage server and not as the rootfs for a bunch of random linux machines

that said ZoL has served me pretty well for 5+ years. It handles partially faulty drives pretty well so you can extend their useful life a lot longer than with a hardware raid.

Breakfast All Day
Oct 21, 2004

and on the eighth tick, god created the unix filesystem layers of abstraction. and god saw that it was gnu. and there was clockrise, and there was clockfall -- the eighth tick.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

r u ready to WALK posted:

zfs probably belongs on a dedicated storage server and not as the rootfs for a bunch of random linux machines

I mean yeah it was made for and demo’d on literally that, that’s why it has so many knobs and diddles to adjust

Schadenboner
Aug 15, 2011

by Shine
I mean, if at all possible I’d like for it to be as set-and-forget as it can be. The NAS is for home, mostly just for holding media and some mild-to-moderate Docker?

I’d prefer not to have to janitor it too much?

Captain Foo
May 11, 2004

we vibin'
we slidin'
we breathin'
we dyin'

Schadenboner posted:

I mean, if at all possible I’d like for it to be as set-and-forget as it can be. The NAS is for home, mostly just for holding media and some mild-to-moderate Docker?

I’d prefer not to have to janitor it too much?

Buy a Synology and stop thinking about it

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
lol apple is very scared of gpl

https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT208050

zsh is the new default shell

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
I hope someday a trillion dollar corporation can also take my work for free and sell it

Why did gen x immediately understand that having a single tyrant rule a significant chunk of the computing landscape is a bad thing while millennials line up to suck Apple's dick. Linux desktops these days are a total joke and they were actually a credible and somewhat important ecological niche ten years ago. Today nobody would even attempt to create such a thing, let alone competently work on it.

I mean at best the tyrant openly ceases to give a poo poo about platforms that aren't absurdly profitable enough (macos), at worst you end up with 90s Microsoft. Who didn't even have the decency to acqui hire their competitors and just left a bloody trail of mutilated carcasses in their wake instead.

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Sapozhnik posted:

Linux desktops these days are a total joke and they were actually a credible and somewhat important ecological niche ten years ago.

nope, sorry, always been a total joke

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

zsh is really good though? :confused:

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

gplv3 sucks, blame RMS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Progressive JPEG
Feb 19, 2003

Sapozhnik posted:

I hope someday a trillion dollar corporation can also take my work for free and sell it