Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

Leal posted:

Sephirot is clearly a reference to the best final fantasy, 7, because Sephirot is the villain who is also my husband and just misunderstood.

It's me.

I'm your avatar right now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

No lie, my most wanted dungeon is the Giant of Babel. I want to have to venture through a giant-rear end robot and beat it up from the inside.

Captain Cappy
Aug 7, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

No lie, my most wanted dungeon is the Giant of Babel. I want to have to venture through a giant-rear end robot and beat it up from the inside.

Alexander?

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

:thunk:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

A real dungeon!

... Fair point though, it'd be too similar.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I think you could make them different enough aesthetically. Alexander's got a lot of goblin steampunk brown going on. Robot of Babel would be all bright future poo poo.

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool
Whichever expansion finally gets us to the moon had goddamned better have a Space Whale to get us there and the Giant of Babil waiting for us when we get back.

Or the Giant could be the dungeon that directly precedes getting the Whale, whichever.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Are you a BigMac of imbeciles!?

Hogama posted:

The three Warring Triad bosses of VI were named on their concept art. Fiend/Doom's name was "Sefilos" (Sephiroth/Sephirot/Sefirot; the Kabbalah concept). Nomura basically liked the idea of the name enough to reuse it for FFVII, and FFXIV has a nod to that, but it's an out and out VI reference. (The trend follows for the other two - Goddess's concept art was titled "Sophia", Demon/Poltergeist's name is "Zurvan.")

:eng101: Similarly, Sophia the Goddess's original design was also the inspiration for Yunalesca in Final Fantasy X.

Great White Hope! posted:

When is SE gonna let me fight Culex?

I know this is a joke and it can't happen because Culex is partially owned by Nintendo, but I still want this to happen.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The Super Mario RPG raid will come out when the Switch port does

CeallaSo
May 3, 2013

Wisdom from a Fool

homeless snail posted:

The Super Mario RPG raid will come out when the Switch port does

"How on earth did this strange-looking Lalafell get here? And in such odd clothing!"

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Does a retainer going on hunts or whatever with a combat class eventually make decent money? I'm pretty allergic to crafting/gathering but I'm also broke so exploring some ways to make gil. I've never really bothered with retainers and they are super low level but I could start working on them.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

FuzzySlippers posted:

Does a retainer going on hunts or whatever with a combat class eventually make decent money? I'm pretty allergic to crafting/gathering but I'm also broke so exploring some ways to make gil. I've never really bothered with retainers and they are super low level but I could start working on them.

Yeah, especially during a new patch and double super especially at the start of an expansion. I made heaps of money at the beginning of SB off of manzasiri hairs and halgai manes from my retainers.

Granted, you can make even more money by using those mats for other things-- in the above instance, worsted yarn and steppe serge remained very profitable for a long time, and were always useful for finished crafts which could be sold for more-- but to answer your basic question, yeah, if you do a tiny bit of market research you can quite easily make a good amount of money from combat retainers.

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
You know what? After having a fit over healers a few days ago, I'm actually (very cautiously) optimistic about them going into Shadowbringers. I was very stuck in the current mindset of healing being a thing you do occasionally, and normally you're going to spend 60-95% of your time DPSing. If they are actually going to dramatically increase damage so that you HAVE to spend most of your time and GCDs healing, and work in DPS when and where you can, suddenly the new healer toolkits make a lot more sense. There's a lot of healing power in there, and if the toolkits are fun to use and have some depth to them, then I'll be perfectly happy to replace one meta with another.

Also, I have an obsessive need to be contrarian, so if most people think FF XIV is a cool and good and well run game I feel obligated to PROVE THEM WRONG, which is sometimes helpful but sometimes...not. Like the last week or so. Hell, the thing that got me thinking about the healer changes in more depth was trying to prove some doom-and-gloomers over on Reddit wrong. :v:

Obviously, this is contingent on stuff actually needing those big fancy healing toolkits. If dungeons/trials/raids are doing about the same damage as they are right now, then they stripped down the effective complexity and fun of healers for no reason other than, maybe, a misguided attempt to appeal to new players. I'm expecting, hell, hoping that the starter EX trials expect Godka/Final Omega levels of healing output, and that Eden takes that ball and runs with it. And while they don't look bad in their current state, I am a bit worried that SCH and AST seem to be slowly turning into WHM With One Weird Trick, and the 1-70 experience is going to be a drag on any of the three jobs. Also give me Quickened Aetherflow back, you jerks. Still though, I'm feeling a lot better about them and about ShB than I was a few days ago. :unsmith:

might as well get my final set of Stormblood healer glamour shots in here. i'll still miss Selene and my time distortion stuff.

FuzzySlippers posted:

It can, though a lot of it is down to luck and/or market board research, and a lot of the time the most profitable hunting items are actually mid-level things and not the level 70 ones. For hunting items, there was a decent bubble for Spoken Blood on Balmung not too long ago, and stuff like Halgai Manes are usually at least reasonably profitable since Weavers are chewing through them in bulk. If you don't feel like spending a huge amount of time looking through the market board, any skin, hide, or web has a decent chance of being worth your retainer's time, while eggs, meats, and bones/fangs are usually junk.

For the most part though, DPS retainer items usually aren't worth a ton of money because nearly everyone is going to have at least one DPS retainer. DoL retainers, on the other hand, can be quite profitable if you find something that's in heavy demand, even better if you have a crafter leveled so you can get items that are easy to turn into valuable finished goods. I've done really well recently by having my BTN retainer gather Persimmon Logs, which turn directly into Persimmon Lumber with no other components. 40 minutes for the venture, 10 minutes on CRP to turn the stack of 30 logs into 7 HQ Persimmon Lumber, and that's 60,000 gil on a good day. But yeah, if you're not interested in the crafting or gathering subsystems, that's not gonna help you much. That said, BTN and MIN are super-relaxing, require no major upfront investment besides time and some dirt-cheap starter gear, and they're surprisingly fun; you should at least give them a shot if you haven't! Just don't be afraid to ask for help with some of the quests that demand a bunch of HQ items, a level 70 BTN/MIN can do those almost-instantly. Or use the Market Board, whatever, I won't tell on you.

Anyways (and this may well be stuff you already know), if you want to level retainers, you'll need ventures. Easiest way to get those is with grand company seals at your, well, grand company, where you can get one venture for 100 seals IIRC. If you need more seals, the easiest way to get those is by turning in green, blue, or purple in to the quartermaster NPC that stands next to the one that sells you stuff. My usual strategy for leveling retainers is to spam the highest level hunting/gathering quest available when I'm in-game, then give them a Field/Highland/Woodland Exploration quest right before I log off. Those take 18 hours, so they're perfect to let run while you're asleep or at work or whatever.

I think I've edited this message like 5 or 6 times now, I keep thinking of bits to add about retainers and such aaaaa.

Solo Wing Pixy fucked around with this message at 10:31 on Jun 1, 2019

Xerophyte
Mar 17, 2008

This space intentionally left blank

FuzzySlippers posted:

They're good money for very little effort, but take a while to ramp up. I make around 10K gil/hourlong hunt on 5 retainers, minus auction fees and ventures. Call it 1 million/week when playing, maybe? Plus a bunch of random glamour gear from quick exploration, the occasional pet, etc.

My poor combat retainers usually spend their days neck deep in Gelato Flesh which is an early 50s hunt. Better them than me I guess; point is you can find profitable targets well below max level since crafting materials are so very spread out.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

DizzyBum posted:

On the bright side she does insane damage with Gil Toss.

Super late, but rowena is actually a summoner class who uses Gerolt as a pet to do her bidding.

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

Well over the past two days I've leveled Marauder, Lancer, and Pugilist to 16 (plus Thaumaturge earlier this week) so I can take them into LDR when needed.

I'm never touching a combat levequest again. :suicide:

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

Thanks for the tips! I'll start working on my retainers.

Agraya
Dec 15, 2009
Don't mind me. Just elfposting.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

this game has insanely good looking elves

ilifinicus
Mar 7, 2004

S-E please change Shoha to not be the most useless button ever and give Samurai something else as their final button thanks

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Agraya posted:

Did someone say elfposting?

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

This tomestone "event" is poop. Make it Rain should be good, atleast.

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Leofish posted:

Huh, that's the first time I have seen someone using what I think is the later stormblood pvp gear? The stuff after the yokai themed ones, anyways. At least that what I'm guessing it is, it looks good either way, but when I first saw it I wasn't sure if it could look good, so I'm weirdly happy to see the answer is yes.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Zoig posted:

Huh, that's the first time I have seen someone using what I think is the later stormblood pvp gear? The stuff after the yokai themed ones, anyways. At least that what I'm guessing it is, it looks good either way, but when I first saw it I wasn't sure if it could look good, so I'm weirdly happy to see the answer is yes.

Yes, for Striking it's called the Republican Secutor's set. The gloves, however, are the Sigmascape striking gloves.

I know the casting gloves are very popular because they erase your sleeves and give you dyeable tattoos on your arms so you've probably seen those around. The healing set is also not uncommon on female characters, in my experience.

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!

Leofish posted:

elfposting! (with bonus cat)

Orthodox Rabbit
Jun 2, 2006

This game is perfect for empty-headed dunces that don't like to think much!! Of course, I'm a genius... I wonder why I'm so good at it?!

FuzzySlippers posted:

Yesterday my retainer brought me a nidhogg scale which are going for about 2mil on the market board right now. So with a bit of luck they can definitely make you money.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

Zoig posted:

I did it for a time. I think it's a bit bulkier than I normally like.

itskage
Aug 26, 2003

CeallaSo posted:

"How on earth did this strange-looking Lalafell get here? And in such odd clothing!"

Will Koopas be a playable race? Might finally change from midlander if I can be a bowser or bowsette.

Givin
Jan 24, 2008
Givin of the Internet Hates You

itskage posted:

Will Koopas be a playable race? Might finally change from midlander if I can be a bowser or bowsette.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

ilifinicus posted:

S-E please change Shoha to not be the most useless button ever and give Samurai something else as their final button thanks

I don't know, I'm okay with getting even more free damage out of boss jumps and downtime.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
It's a good ability but seems kinda boring for a level cap ability.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Red head, muscle. The good Bowsette, not the blonde with gigantic honking tits fapbait Bowsette.

LITERALLY MY FETISH
Nov 11, 2010

Raise Chris Coons' taxes so that we can have Medicare for All.

The video larryzaur put out of his dungeon run while talking about his interview with Yoshi-p had the paladin tank at level and Ilvl sync eat poo poo in like 3 different trash packs. It looked to me like the ast healer was trying to do the old method of getting in DPS and healing just with ogcds and it just wasn’t working. You’re going to have to actually spend gcds on keeping the tank alive now, which I am super down for.

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

If this expansion manages to top the MCH revamp with making healers something other than green DPS with boring rotations like SB healers were I'm going to be over the moon.

The Grimace
Sep 18, 2005

Leofish posted:

Yes, for Striking it's called the Republican Secutor's set. The gloves, however, are the Sigmascape striking gloves.

I know the casting gloves are very popular because they erase your sleeves and give you dyeable tattoos on your arms so you've probably seen those around. The healing set is also not uncommon on female characters, in my experience.

drat, it's pretty amazing how well those gloves mesh with the body piece. They have similar aesthetics and colors so they're perfect.

somepartsareme
Mar 10, 2012

Diggle Hell is a Real
(Swingin') Place

LITERALLY MY FETISH posted:

The video larryzaur put out of his dungeon run while talking about his interview with Yoshi-p had the paladin tank at level and Ilvl sync eat poo poo in like 3 different trash packs. It looked to me like the ast healer was trying to do the old method of getting in DPS and healing just with ogcds and it just wasn’t working. You’re going to have to actually spend gcds on keeping the tank alive now, which I am super down for.

i wanna be hopeful but you could also say this about bardam's mettle at min ilvl

Zoig
Oct 31, 2010

Yeah but the thing is, the demo they got to play had them at level 80, so they were all synced down. This is not bardams mettle at min ilvl, this is doing shisui with relic gear at level 70.

Also I was curious on if the new theme was going to be uploaded soon, and it appears that revolutions and dragonsong were uploaded a bit more than a month before the actual expansion released, so we might be able to expect it this week, or they could be breaking pattern and we wont see it until a week before. I'm still really looking forward to whatever one word theme they come up with this time, since the music is about 20% of the reason I play.

Failboattootoot
Feb 6, 2011

Enough of this nonsense. You are an important mayor and this absurd contraption has wasted enough of your time.
There was an ama of the people that went and just about all of them said they were used to mmo mouses and keybinds and they weren't able to really emulate how they usually play. Most of them chalked up their comedic dying to the unfamiliar setup and commented that the damage was noticeably increased, but not ridiculously so.

Failboattootoot fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Jun 1, 2019

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Even when everyone's synced down Bardam's Mettle is still pretty spicy. Seems to be a trend for those mid-high level dungeons in base expansions since Stone Vigil and The Vault are similarly spicy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fureil
Jul 7, 2012

Agraya posted:

Definitely one of the better female elves I've seen. Well done. My elf boy is currently taking a break as a potato due to a joke from a friend. Probably going to switch back at ShB unless I get tempted to become catdad.

YoshiOfYellow posted:

Even when everyone's synced down Bardam's Mettle is still pretty spicy. Seems to be a trend for those mid-high level dungeons in base expansions since Stone Vigil and The Vault are similarly spicy.

I keep running into tanks while leveling up my healers that don't seem to realize this. "I've never had issues before, maybe you should dps less." My guy, in the span of two gcds you are dropping to half health. Use some freaking defensive CDs and stop pulling all the mobs between each boss please!

Fureil fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Jun 1, 2019